• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Anyone else want down smash to hit 2 sides? I think with the diminishing returns on rolls it would be a good way to punish. The dash cancel tech should give more punishes so maybe this isn't necessary, but down smash feels so similar to forward that he should be allowed to angle f-smash like Mario.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like I'm back modding Mewtwo for now. If you have any questions or need help feel free to ask.

The Spoon Sword shall rise again! :p

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Really like the change in B-throw's animation. It's still not as good as in Melee, but it's much better than in Sm4sh.

Sayabi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-8537-6804
I really dislike the new Nair SFX. Looks so cluttering to me so reading the enemy movement might be tougher for newer players. The Shadow Ball looks good but the "vortex" effect clutters a bit the screen too imo. I feel like they got really heavy-handed on the SFX for those two, but the rest of the animations look awesome and powerful. The bigger animation for the smashes reflect the hitboxes a lot more, so it's great. Overall even with some defaults I love it and I can't wait to play him!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I really dislike the new Nair SFX. Looks so cluttering to me so reading the enemy movement might be tougher for newer players. The Shadow Ball looks good but the "vortex" effect clutters a bit the screen too imo. I feel like they got really heavy-handed on the SFX for those two, but the rest of the animations look awesome and powerful. The bigger animation for the smashes reflect the hitboxes a lot more, so it's great. Overall even with some defaults I love it and I can't wait to play him!
Keep in mind for Nair, apparently electric attacks have more hitsun so...good news for M2

Sayabi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-8537-6804
Keep in mind for Nair, apparently electric attacks have more hitsun so...good news for M2
Oh that's neat. I hope they won't use it as an excuse to nerf Mewtwo too much ;-;

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mewtwo in armor from the first movie will be trending again when that remake comes out next year I'm guessing. Too bad it probably still won't be a skin for Smash though (officially), but will still be good to see the old Mewtwo back regardless, even if just a modern reimagining for the first movie's 20th anniversary.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm hoping we might see new alt costumes added post-launch as either free updates or paid DLC, like the Mii costumes. And if that's the case, and the new movie is a remake of the first one, I'd be a shocked if we don't get that as a costume.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I don't think they'll use anime exclusive costumes. Plus The Pokemon Company is strict on how Pokemon are portrayed in Smash. That's why we never officially got shiny colors as alternate colors though some come close to looking shiny.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like Mewtwo is more or less in the exact same place he was in during Smash 4, which is fine by me. Everyone has him pegged for high to top tier.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
It sounds like Mewtwo is more or less in the exact same place he was in during Smash 4, which is fine by me. Everyone has him pegged for high to top tier.
that could easily change due to half the cast being unavailable to us, he may end up mid tier, hopefully he'll still be amazing

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
that could easily change due to half the cast being unavailable to us, he may end up mid tier, hopefully he'll still be amazing
Fair point, we have to see how his matchups are against the rest of the roster. Fortunately, we've over the biggest hurdles in terms of his viability: nerfs and new mechanics that could have shafted him. Unless other characters have rocketed past him, I think we'll see only a few slots down from where he is now at worst.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Fair point, we have to see how his matchups are against the rest of the roster. Fortunately, we've over the biggest hurdles in terms of his viability: nerfs and new mechanics that could have shafted him. Unless other characters have rocketed past him, I think we'll see only a few slots down from where he is now at worst.
The top tier in this game is going to be like 20 characters due to the roster size, in brawl it was 7 and in smash 4 is was 12, the chances of mewtwo being in that 20 I hope isn't too bad seeing how solid he is now, for god sakes he has a ken combo out of his dash attack

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Can we stop and take a moment to appreciate the fact that Mewtwo has yet again returned to Smash and is looking better than ever? You can never be too grateful of this. The dreadfulness of his absence between Melee and Smash 4 dlc has not left my memory as it may have with others.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Anything new here?
Kinda looks like confusion no longer has a set placement after it grabs them. Mega man was almost on top of him during the animation, certainly looks closer than I had ever seen during smash 4

godogod

Smash Ace
Top 5? lol No. He's definitely nerfed compared to wii u. Confusion, down tilt, back air nerfed. Forward tilt having more range and knockback isn't going to make up for all the nerfs. He'll likely still be high tier, but there's even more characters now, so we'll see where exactly.

edit: I would say right now its too early to say. We don't know how he'll be in the final game either.

Last edited:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I'd say it's way too early to discuss tier placements in the game when only small handful of random player A's have actually touched the early summer demo. I see small buffs and small nerfs all over the place with Mewtwo, with the only large nerf that comes to mind would be that disable doesn't DJC anymore, meaning no easy kills from grounded foot stools and no more infinite. Given that Mewtwo wasn't given any notable buffs though, I wouldn't assume top 5. Definitely not bad, but I can't see getting better rather than worse in that case.

godogod

Smash Ace
Mewtwo in armor from the first movie will be trending again when that remake comes out next year I'm guessing. Too bad it probably still won't be a skin for Smash though (officially), but will still be good to see the old Mewtwo back regardless, even if just a modern reimagining for the first movie's 20th anniversary.
they could do that.. But it'll probably me a micro transaction.

godogod

Smash Ace
somebody updated smash wiki mewtwo's page with
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Mewtwo_(SSBU)

• Mewtwo's aerial jump animation now takes less time to complete, improving its recovery and combo game.
  • Up tilt now properly connects with opponents behind Mewtwo.
  • Up tilt has less end lag.
  • Down aerial's hitbox size has been increased; it can now reliably hit grounded opponents off a full-hop.
  • Up throw K.O. potential slightly improved.
  • Down throw now combos at mid-high percents.
anybody wanna confirm if these are true?

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
no, that's completely wrong
really from what I have seen his confusion got nerfed along wiht a few other things. Not to worried though because he was great in Smash 4 so hopefully he ends up as good as that. But yeah final smash to me is just so boring really wanted them to add something diffrent to it not a big fan of Mega Mewtwo Y over X

godogod

Smash Ace
Here's a good video on Mewtwo Ultimate's frame data and damage output in 1vs1 in smash. Of course, things are subject to change for the actual game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxzHZ_IQDM8

Hmmm Mewtwo's Shadow Ball got nerfed to 23% damage in 1vs1, but end lag on his aerials have been reduced quite a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom