• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter V

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Third Strike and Ultra are different from the rest of the series in a lot of ways so starting with them is kind of weird. If you want to start with V II is close enough to it, or probably the Alpha series. Alpha series has a far different roster though. (#ROSE4SFV PLS)

I haven't played V yet though so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Now that I look back at the game, I think I might just get it and have Rashid be my Sagat replacement.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Does the game have a story mode then? If so, then all the more reasons why I really want to get the game once I get a PS4.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
From the looks of it, yup. I think she had an interesting playstyle in 4, so I'm pretty happy there's a chance she'll eventually return to the playable roster.
Holding my breath on her being playable. I just want to see her in some way.

She is someone I admire very much. When I played SFA3 as a child, I assumed all of the Dolls could be unlocked. I especially wanted to unlock Decapre, since she looked so much like Cammy. I desired to know who she was. I bought some of the comic books specifically to know more about her.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some new story mode pics were leaked:

I'm hoping that pic of Sean is just a lighting issue. Also , mall cop Guile.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
The part of the animation where Nash rips himself out of the coffin is the most unintentionally hilarious thing in a while

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I really hope they go completely over the top and hammy with Charlie's resurrection.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm really looking forward to the release of Street Fighter V next week. So much so that I ordered one of these from Play-Asia.

I've tried playing with an arcade stick but I could never get the hang of it. Just never felt as instinctual as using a pad. Maybe it's because I grew up playing Street Fighter II with the brilliant Sega Genesis 6-button pad.

Juri's story mode design got leaked.

I like the eyepatch. Still think Bengus's new art style is pretty iffy, though. Part of me thinks it's a result of a traditional artist transitioning to digital, but who knows. Here's some of his older work, for those who aren't aware.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I feel like he was rushed too which is unfortunate. His art in VSav and MvC2 were pretty amazing.

Also, early access. Gonna be playing some today.

Edit: you make a really good point about digital art, never really thought about that. Same thing applies to Ishiwatari's art when he does thing digital. Looks way worse.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
that Juri art looks so bad

I really hate her eyepatch thing

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So all of the character story mode cutscenes were shown, along with some previously playable characters:

Guile (SFII): Appears in Nash's story.
Balrog (SFII): Appears in Bison's story.
Sakura (Alpha): Appears in Karin's story.
Juni (Alpha): Appears in Cammy's story.
Evil Ryu (Alpha): Appears in Ryu's story.
Sean (SFIII): Appears in Laura's story.
Ibuki (SFIII): Appears in R. Mika's story.
Oro (SFIII): Appears in Dhalsim's story.
C. Viper (SFIV): Appears in Bison's story.
Gouken (SFIV): Appears in Ryu's story.
Juri (SFIV): Appears in Cammy's story.

Abel and Sagat are also mentioned and Hakan is referenced.

Oh yeah apparently that kid Balrog saved in SFIV is the Ed kid in Nash's story.

I sort of expected most these characters to appear later on (except for Oro who just comes from out of nowhere).

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Oro is the biggest surprise on that list. Out of the entire SFIII cast he's usually the most forgotten.
I wouldn't say that. He's one of the stronger SF characters. I find myself forgetting Remy a lot. Viper is most out of nowhere to me, considering her interaction with Bison essentially boils down to
"Gimme the tech."
"No."

I suspect that the remaining DLC characters will be released by order of appearance, so like, Gouken, Oni, and, I don't know, Seth would be released together, Sagat, Fei Long, and Akuma together, Cody, Guy, and any other Final Fight characters, and so on.
So all of the character story mode cutscenes were shown, along with some previously playable characters:

Oh yeah apparently that kid Balrog saved in SFIV is the Ed kid in Nash's story.

I sort of expected most these characters to appear later on (except for Oro who just comes from out of nowhere).
Who mentions Sagat? Ryu?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oro is the biggest surprise on that list. Out of the entire SFIII cast he's usually the most forgotten.
Disagree. Remy, Twelve and especially Necro were far more forgettable. Sean was more forgettable too, as he was like the 14th Ryu clone/semi-clone by then.

Poison got referenced as the "Manager" in text messages with Rashid too.

Decapre was also in Cammy's intro and was a central part of her plot. They rehashed some of Cammy's Ultra SF IV ending.

Balrog, of the characters you listed above (sans the bottom line characters) was the only one you listed not to have a speaking role.

\\

Oro and Azam (Rashid's butler) btw are hyped like Street Fighting Gods in various parts of the "character story intro" mode by multiple playable characters. Both of them are so going to be playable in Season 2, alongside C. Viper, Decapre and Sakura. All 5 of them feel like a lock. I think Gouken is pretty possible for Season 2 as well.

Past that for Season 2... maybe we will get Abel, Akuma and Gouken? Regardless, I'm sure Season 2 will have more characters than the Season 1 DLC characters. Gill would be a nice bonus too.

Additionally Ed (the kid from Balrog's ending in SF IV with powers similar to Bison's) seems like he is going to be playable down the line.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I believe this is Gouken's, like, third appearance. I'd be shocked if he isn't playable soon.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't say that. He's one of the stronger SF characters. I find myself forgetting Remy a lot. Viper is most out of nowhere to me, considering her interaction with Bison essentially boils down to
"Gimme the tech."
Disagree. Remy, Twelve and especially Necro were far more forgettable. Sean was more forgettable too, as he was like the 14th Ryu clone/semi-clone by then.
Let me go ahead and rephrase that.

Forgotten by Capcom.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Let me go ahead and rephrase that.

Forgotten by Capcom.
Okay lmao I can agree to that.

Still, I am glad he is back. I wasn't a Oro player in III but he was awesome to fight against.

No offense to Yun and Yang players butttttttt he's a way better character than either of them.
I believe this is Gouken's, like, third appearance. I'd be shocked if he isn't playable soon.
He was in IV, so him reappearing almost definitely means he's gonna be in (assuming enough people buy SF V to justify a Season 2 or possibly a Season 3 in his case, which shouldn't be an issue).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Speaking of Gouken, he has a new voice. I'm happy about this because I was...mixed on Gouken's old voice.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Hmmm pretty cool.

Getting a new quality VA is almost always a sign a character is going to be playable in a fighting game.
Hope you're right, cause Gouken was my secondary along with Fei Long. I think he has a good chance of being in the second wave though, considering he's appeared I think three or four times in the game. It is nice to see that they're changing voices. Hopefully Akuma's next, his English voice is atrocious.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hope you're right, cause Gouken was my secondary along with Fei Long. I think he has a good chance of being in the second wave though, considering he's appeared I think three or four times in the game.
Gouken, Sakura, C. Viper, Decapre and more as veterans, and maybe Azam and possibly Ed as well as the newcomers.

I still opine that Season 2 will have roughly 8 characters and not 6... and that the 6 announced might not be the only 2016 additions to the roster.
It is nice to see that they're changing voices. Hopefully Akuma's next, his English voice is atrocious.
Oh God yes. Usually I am pretty lenient on the English dub of stuff, and I actually liked a lot of the English voice work of Street Fighter IV, but man Akuma was just flat awful. He sounds like a wanna be Dragon Ball Z character, instead of an actually intimidating force of nature.

Meanwhile Akuma's Japanese voice work in arguably the best in that language. His previous Japanese VA was pretty great too.

For those wanting a comparison of the current English to Japanese Akuma voice work... here you go:
Seriously, could you imagine that voice in the epic Tekken 7 trailer? (side note: I still can't get over that trailer blowing my mind; can't believe I was randomly watching the livestream when it dropped)

It would be sooooo much less exciting.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Gouken, Sakura, C. Viper, Decapre and more as veterans, and maybe Azam and possibly Ed as well as the newcomers.
Ono teased at Sagat being DLC, so hopefully he's in the second wave. Try as I might, I can't get over him not being in.

Oh God yes. Usually I am pretty lenient on the English dub of stuff, and I actually liked a lot of the English voice work of Street Fighter IV, but man Akuma was just flat awful. He sounds like a wanna be Dragon Ball Z character, instead of an actually intimidating force of nature.
It's funny, because Oni, despite being a rejected DBZ villain, has one of the better English voices in the game, while Akuma sounds like he's gargling sand.

Meanwhile Akuma's Japanese voice work in arguably the best in that language. His previous Japanese VA was pretty great too.
I think Bison has the best Japanese voice, with Akuma in second place.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Welp Street Fighter V's release on Steam got bumped up 12 hours for the Americas! :)

For Europe, I think the game is officially launched there! Congrats Europe!!!

For the Americas... we still gotta wait just under 5 hours!
Ono teased at Sagat being DLC, so hopefully he's in the second wave. Try as I might, I can't get over him not being in.
I'm pretty sure Sagat, Fei-Long, Akuma, E. Honda, T. Hawk and Balrog will drop within the next 2 years.

I still maintain that I think all the SF II series roster should return... and dang near most of the SF III roster while we are at it.

\\

Also I played Second Coming for the first time in years today. Man Sean in that game is like the one character way better than he is in Third Strike. I really want that Sean but modified in Street Fighter V. :/
It's funny, because Oni, despite being a rejected DBZ villain, has one of the better English voices in the game, while Akuma sounds like he's gargling sand.
Agreed. Oni sounds lke an actually corrupted mutant villain.
I think Bison has the best Japanese voice, with Akuma in second place.
Yeah Bison's Japanese voice sounds legit terrifying. It's like a better version of Japanese Mewtwo.
Any word on Deejay getting included?
Nope not a word yet.

I wouldn't give up on him, as I think he's got a great chance at returning... though it'll probably be a while until he's added.

Edit: Less than 4 hours to go fellow people in the Americas!

I still can't believe my 3 favorite series ever (SF, Smash Bros, and MGS, which have been my 3 favorite series since roughly 2004) have gotten massive content and/or releases within a month of each other.

\\

Edit 2: Nvidia drivers for the game are out for PC purchasers of the game with Nvidia graphics cards. The game has had frame rate issues without the drivers, but these fix them. If you got AMD GPU's, I would suggest getting the latest AMD drivers too!

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THEM NVIDIA GPU OWNERS!

I would also suggest Nvidia users download Nvidia GeForce Experience to keep their drivers up to date, and AMD users download similar software.

You can find the driver updates and the Nvidia GeForce Experience app here.

Edit 3: If you are getting the Steam version and hit issues, look up the bug report thread for more information. You shouldn't have many issues, but if you do, go there. If you got fight stick issues, try downloading 3rd party software.

Last edited:

KevinWUT

Professional Self-Destructor
NNID
KevinWut
3DS FC
5129-1013-7753
I mainly play smash but I bought it anyways, I'll give it a shot.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Lupe Fiasco vs. Daigo the Beast is going on now at the Foundry!

Watch it here!!!

Edit: Lupe took game 1 holy s**** MY BRAIN!!!!

WHAT IS LIFE!?!?!?

AFTER DROPPING THE FIRST MATCH HE TOOK MATCHES TWO AND THREE TO WIN GAME 1!!!

HE TOOK GAME 1 FROM THE BEST STREET FIGHTER PLAYER!?!?!?

WOWWWWWW!!!!

Edit 2: I don't care if this is sand bagging this is hype! 2-2!!!!

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Lupe Fiasco vs. Daigo the Beast is going on now at the Foundry!

Watch it here!!!

Edit: Lupe took game 1 holy s**** MY BRAIN!!!!

WHAT IS LIFE!?!?!?

AFTER DROPPING THE FIRST MATCH HE TOOK MATCHES TWO AND THREE TO WIN GAME 1!!!

HE TOOK GAME 1 FROM THE BEST STREET FIGHTER PLAYER!?!?!?

WOWWWWWW!!!!

Edit 2: I don't care if this is sand bagging this is hype! 2-2!!!!
He's the best Third Strike player, not the best Street Fighter player. Remember what Justin Wong did to him with Bison?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He's the best Third Strike player, not the best Street Fighter player. Remember what Justin Wong did to him with Bison?
He's the best all-around is what I mean. Great at all of the games and one of the 4 Japanese Gods.

But man... that win was crazy.

Lupe definitely got sand bagged on for a while, but Ryu's higher tech barriers from IV to V made some of it look more sand baggy then what it was (plus Ken is kinda easy in V).

That last game didn't have nearly as much sandbagging as the previous ones, and Lupe landed some very good shots.

That was V/5, don't care if I gotta use suspension of disbelief or not lmao.

Edit: T-minus 200 seconds to go until it launches in the Americas!!! WE MADE IT Y'ALL!!!!

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I played the crap out of this game with a friend of mine tonight.

I'm stuck between if I want to main Rashid or Laura. Karin's fun too, but I don't see myself wanting to play her all the time.

Top Bottom