• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Mith_

Smash Champion
So I learned something tonight. When playing against friends/casual players, and you crush them, DO NOT attempt to explain why you beat them. The only reward you will reap is cries of "Nerd!" "No Life!" and "Loser!" I tried to help my friends out by giving them tips, and even going as far as explaining why my move beat out theirs based on frame rate data. Big mistake, they hate me now, and they said the only reason they practice is to beat me. But... being known as the best on the block is quite satisfying as well :)
My friend just says:

"yeah"

and loses the exact same way next game.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I'm seriously done playing this game.

What, is there an international Ken Noob meet in America or something?!? I'm getting so rusty now that the ENTIRE Xbox Live community are Ken scrubs.

I'm losing BP because of these stupid weights. Whenever I get to a good Cammy or Guile, I lose now.

WHY MUST YOU DO THIS, KEN SCRUBS.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Lol.
New people playing street fighter 4 since it just came out, and picking ken because "they played him when street fighter 2 first came out on super nintendo/arcade/sega/etc."

That's the excuse my brother pitched me when I asked why he picked ken. Its sad really.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Ken is easier to use, hits more times per special and also has FIRE! and a flashy ultra.

Why wouldn't scrubs flock to him?

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
i hate that scrubs flock to ken. cause i have legitemitly used Ken since SF2 back in New york when i frequented the arcades and i used him in every single street fighter game since. hence my dam username.....not to say i dont also use other characters, but ken is my dude, love him to death.

I'm seriously done playing this game.

What, is there an international Ken Noob meet in America or something?!? I'm getting so rusty now that the ENTIRE Xbox Live community are Ken scrubs.

I'm losing BP because of these stupid weights. Whenever I get to a good Cammy or Guile, I lose now.

WHY MUST YOU DO THIS, KEN SCRUBS.

I feel your pain. its like you get into the mind set of facing wake up shoryuken scrubs, then you face a good player and get caught off guard. thats why im not playing ranked matches anymore, its pointless. ill just add people to my friends list and play player matches all the time.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
i hate that scrubs flock to ken. cause i have legitemitly used Ken since SF2 back in New york when i frequented the arcades and i used him in every single street fighter game since. hence my dam username.....not to say i dont also use other characters, but ken is my dude, love him to death.
Agreed.
While I use Ryu if I'm going Shoto, my older brother picks Ken.

He's been using Ken since the original SF II, so he's no scrub.
When I face him, it feels so refreshing to face a Ken that knows how to space correctly.

All the scrubs flocking to Ken gives Ken a bad rep. It's really sad.

Speaking of scrubs, I hate wake-up ultras...

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
Agreed.
While I use Ryu if I'm going Shoto, my older brother picks Ken.

He's been using Ken since the original SF II, so he's no scrub.
When I face him, it feels so refreshing to face a Ken that knows how to space correctly.

All the scrubs flocking to Ken gives Ken a bad rep. It's really sad.

Speaking of scrubs, I hate wake-up ultras...
scrub mentality: oh **** hes beating the **** outta me. even tho he's half a screen away. ken's supercrazyflaming ultra will catch him!!!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
LOL Ken noobs. There are so many of them that play like this:
. I even made a group dedicated to beating them on All is Fighter and have 42 members. Too bad the activity's been down lately. Well, I saw the new tier list on page 84. I'm glad to see Ryu's still beasting! *Raises fist* METSU...HADOKEN!!!

BentoBox

Smash Master
Heh. I played the game for the second time yesterday and I've stuck with Blanka as I did on ssfhd, but I am a complete noob at this game, though I still manage to win rounds due to his anti-air game and sweep (lunging) being so godly~ But I don't feel like I put much thought into it, I just learned about ex moves and how I can roll through fireballs with inv. frames =p I feel like im still just mashing buttons.

Anyways, my friends have told me that starting out with the Shotos before moving on to more "complex" characters is the best way to dive into the SF series (I didn't even know how to perform a shoryuken until yesterday lol)~ I haven't picked up any of them yet, but to hear you guys, it's not good advice...?

I also really liked Dan because he's so goofy, but I was told that he was put into the game for the sole purpose of being a joke character. Is that true?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Heh. I played the game for the second time yesterday and I've stuck with Blanka as I did on ssfhd, but I am a complete noob at this game, though I still manage to win rounds due to his anti-air game and sweep (lunging) being so godly~ But I don't feel like I put much thought into it, I just learned about ex moves and how I can roll through fireballs with inv. frames =p I feel like im still just mashing buttons.

Anyways, my friends have told me that starting out with the Shotos before moving on to more "complex" characters is the best way to dive into the SF series (I didn't even know how to perform a shoryuken until yesterday lol)~ I haven't picked up any of them yet, but to hear you guys, it's not good advice...?

I also really liked Dan because he's so goofy, but I was told that he was put into the game for the sole purpose of being a joke character. Is that true?
Dan has always been a joke character, BentoBox. Why else would he have a taunt that takes up the entire Super meter? LOL. One of the best K.O. cries, though. FAAAAAATHEEEEEEER!!! LOL!!

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
Madcatz TE stick no doubt.
if you think about the SE stick, dont. here's why.
Stick= $80
Buttons= about $30
Sanwa JLF= $30-40

so you're basically paying the same, maybe less and there's maintenance required. whereas TE stick is perfect out of the box. plus it's bigger and heavier. if you're serious about playing on a stick i'd go with the TE stick.

Omis

my friends were skinny
Im not so sure I want to make such a big investment when Im not sure if I will ever be that good at the game. I love it beyond belief but I think it would be somewhat of a waste if I wasnt tourney level to get such a hardcore stick. I was looking more at things like the hori ex 2

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Dan has always been a joke character, BentoBox. Why else would he have a taunt that takes up the entire Super meter? LOL. One of the best K.O. cries, though. FAAAAAATHEEEEEEER!!! LOL!!
Nothing beats than Fei Long's.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!

Anyway, Dan's still deadly in the right hands, though, especially in this game. He has all the strengths of the other shoto's, and is less weak than he is normally. Plus, the Triple Kick (whose name I can't remember right now) is even better in this one. Which is good, because that's always been his best attack.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I hate the SF4 voices.

They ruined Dan's, Rog's, and Vega's. And do they have to say every move they do? This isn't power rangers.

I also would like to know what restrictor gate to get. I main Gief so I'm not sure what to get. Circle would be easier to do 270s on but I like to play other characters as well.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
I hate the SF4 voices.

They ruined Dan's, Rog's, and Vega's. And do they have to say every move they do? This isn't power rangers.

I also would like to know what restrictor gate to get. I main Gief so I'm not sure what to get. Circle would be easier to do 270s on but I like to play other characters as well.
only move vega says is "bloody high claw"

vega's voice is sick

smashbot226

Smash Master
It is pretty **** cool Dreadz.

But Dan's Japanese voice is the best one.

Also, I find that using Dan has improved my win streak against Ken noobs. Constant corner jumping Taunts and aerial Light Tatsumaki's jump ins beat them.

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
Im not so sure I want to make such a big investment when Im not sure if I will ever be that good at the game. I love it beyond belief but I think it would be somewhat of a waste if I wasnt tourney level to get such a hardcore stick. I was looking more at things like the hori ex 2
EX 2 is fairly decent for beginners. mine didnt last too long though before buttons started to not work since they're stock. but eventually I got it modded too w/ sanwa buttons and balltop so it looks sexy, but i'll really never play on it again.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion

Also, I find that using Dan has improved my win streak against Ken noobs. Constant corner jumping Taunts and aerial Light Tatsumaki's jump ins beat them.
That's amazing! LOL. I'm also planning to use Dan against Ken noobs as well for laughs. Also, my friend, Daywalker, said that he's starting to see more Ryus. Guess the Ken noobs are becoming smarter, but they'll still do Shoryuken spam and I expect them to be bad at Hadoken spam. What I mean is that though they'll use Hadoken a lot, they won't really think so much about spacing and the countermeasures against camping in this game. Well, guess I'll be having more Ryu dittos online. LOL.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
@Ken34

I'm not really a regular and probably the input of the others will be of more use to you but I'll throw in my thoughts.

First I'll state that the Ryu is impressive as he almost constantly places pressure on you anytime he has the chance and that makes it difficult.

The more pressure you can apply with high/low electric knuckle combined with the overhead will probably give you more breathing room against aggressive players.

I applaud your usage of EX invincibility frames during the matches but then other times you maybe used it by accident, depending on your playstyle the Super Viper has can be a useful tool if you don't EX as often since you can link it with the electric knuckle (I don't recall which ones work).

Since you do a considerable amount of jump-ins the Ryu player can DP you to an Ultra (that occured I believe in a match) or begin a FA, I would say vary up whether you do an empty jump-in to grab or knuckle, delay the Fire kick the perhaps make them waste the FA, or purposefully overshoot them with the Fire kick to build meter and keep them guessing.

I figure that the Ryu player is a friend or something as you have a few matches recorded so at least with fighting Ryu's he should be excellent practice and if you can apply pressure on an aggressive Ryu, you'll be capable of doing so to most of the cast...

Well thats my thoughts whether or not they are applicable to you.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Changed your username again?

Ken, I'll watch those videos and critique when I have time.
(So much homework and work lately)

Mith_

Smash Champion
Yea Emblem did you pretty dirty.

Those Focus attacks get scary. You see them coming so you block, but you forget they are unlbockable >.>

CodeBlack

Smash Ace

Beating bad Akuma players with Dan is very therapeutic, and it's often really easy.

Anyway, yeah, some of the English voices are... stupid, but it's usually in a funny sort of way (like Fei Long's, I changed his to Japanese the moment I got him). Plus, many of the characters are pretty good in English (Sagat comes to mind). Generally I keep anyone who's Japanese voice I'm not used to in English (for example, I like Sakura's English voice, but since I've been hearing her Japanese voice for years and kind of prefer it, I put her to Japanese).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Not my fault Ms. Viper can't take a punch. lol. Anyway, critque my Sagat guys.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Dan's English voice sounds dumber like it should, his Japanese voice is to deep and serious.

I used to main Dan but i'm looking for a better character lmao.

Dan can't turtle, and I like to turtle sometimes =[ I'd use Akuma but **** his stamina! One ultra and i'm ****ed

smashbot226

Smash Master
Pick up Dhalsim :D
YOOOOOGAAAAAAA.

Picked him up. I confuse EVERYBODY on Xbox Live now with Teleport Mindgames.

I jump at you, then at the apex, YOU WON'T KNOW WHERE I'LL BE WITH MAH DRILL KICK.

Not even the fastest characters are safe.

And my Gen is getting SLIGHTLY better. 'Gief still rox though. EX Banishing Flat to SPD, then followed up with an early EX Running Grab (For super armor), then I'm close FOR ANOTHER SPD.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Beating bad Akuma players with Dan is very therapeutic, and it's often really easy.

Anyway, yeah, some of the English voices are... stupid, but it's usually in a funny sort of way (like Fei Long's, I changed his to Japanese the moment I got him). Plus, many of the characters are pretty good in English (Sagat comes to mind). Generally I keep anyone who's Japanese voice I'm not used to in English (for example, I like Sakura's English voice, but since I've been hearing her Japanese voice for years and kind of prefer it, I put her to Japanese).
I would have to say that a good number of them are great. The best are probably Cammy and El Fuerte's voices. Viper is another good one, but she sounds relatively the same in English and Japanese.

Top Bottom