• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
...people are seriously still getting hit by focus cancels? Why am I not running into these morons!?! This is so unfair. And if that's your logic, then Rufus does have the best because he can link his Ultra into just about anything he does, uncluding his god-like EX Messiah kick.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
sagats is too goodz, thats why i dont use him anymore it's all about that vega!
go back to guile u cant handle vega.

...people are seriously still getting hit by focus cancels? Why am I not running into these morons!?! This is so unfair. And if that's your logic, then Rufus does have the best because he can link his Ultra into just about anything he does, uncluding his god-like EX Messiah kick.
its a cancel. meaning people can cancel any attack into a focus attack which they can input ultra for free damage

rufus' is pretty good to and i guess balrogs.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I guess since I've mainly been playing against Dragon, those cancels don't work too well against someone like him. I mainly use 'em for quick retreats out of a combo fest or to gain some distance from those EX Bird kicks.

Balrog's is just flat out devastation when it connects. Also I've had people who block it get nailed by the last hit just because of the delay he has before releasing it. They always assumes it ends sooner than it actually does.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
I guess since I've mainly been playing against Dragon, those cancels don't work too well against someone like him. I mainly use 'em for quick retreats out of a combo fest or to gain some distance from those EX Bird kicks.

Balrog's is just flat out devastation when it connects. Also I've had people who block it get nailed by the last hit just because of the delay he has before releasing it. They always assumes it ends sooner than it actually does.
hmm

plus ryu and sagats FADC into super and/or ultra is also a good reason they are top characters.

NthRedDragon

Smash Rookie
Spammers are really easy to beat in SFIV. Shoryuken spam is really annoying, but easy to fake out if they are noobs. Sooner or later they may stop spamming after you start beating them, but if they don't, more points for you.

PS: Chun Li ultra ftw!!!

Icy-Flood

Smash Cadet
its tru thats the way scrub kens play lol

i main vega

hes weaker

you wont beat me

:)

nah fa real u wont.

Ummmm Im not quite sure about that man, yeah Dan is weak but he always has been
since Alpha, I've been playin with Dan for years and I think I
know what he's capable of. Vega is High Tier and fast and jumpy of course
but I garuntee if I get you in a Corner with dan with that Gadoken and Shinku-Borikan your done plain and simple your done weather you main Vega, Bison, Ryu or Gouken.
Im an expericnced Dan player you wouldnt be the first and definently
not the last Vega player i've played so yeah Dan's a beast

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Chun Li's Ultra is horrid. It can't even penetrate Rufus's iron gaurd. I lawls at your inferior Chun Li skills. ....now don't pick her anymore.

I honestly don't know what's better than punishing a shoryuken spammer after juke-in' 'em. I had one guy give up all hope in a ranked match once. I laughed really hard when I saw him just start walking into me trying to get killed at the end.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
but I garuntee if I get you in a Corner with dan with that Gadoken and Shinku-Borikan your done plain and simple your done weather you main Vega, Bison, Ryu or Gouken.
actually from what ive heard from faithful claw players, claw is pretty bad in SF4......

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
in SF IV vega is bottom tier so wut u talkin bout?

even tho hes bottom tier he could still win matches

jus see me online homeboy my gamertag in my sig

NthRedDragon

Smash Rookie
The tier list has no meaning what so ever. The game is very balanced and few characters have very unbalanced matchups. Skill prevails over everything else. Character selections make no difference, only in play style. Who cares if Vega is bottom tier. He is still a competitive character. Who cares that Sagat is top tier, he is still beatable by all characters. Every character has a chance at winning against any other character. Ignore the tiers, and maybe that way, when you get beat by Vega, you wont punch yourself in the face because you lost to a bottom tier character.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
The tier list has no meaning what so ever. The game is very balanced and few characters have very unbalanced matchups. Skill prevails over everything else. Character selections make no difference, only in play style. Who cares if Vega is bottom tier. He is still a competitive character. Who cares that Sagat is top tier, he is still beatable by all characters. Every character has a chance at winning against any other character. Ignore the tiers, and maybe that way, when you get beat by Vega, you wont punch yourself in the face because you lost to a bottom tier character.

tru

It has meaning, just not near as much as in other games.

But Claw got nerfed pretty hard in this game.
tru

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Ugh, Dreadz begins to catch on my Viper pretty quickly. He mindgames me into jumping.

I usually don't do that... LOL

Oh, and nice comeback Dreadz. I won that round, but props to that your comeback. You had me sweating bullets.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
Ugh, Dreadz begins to catch on my Viper pretty quickly. He mindgames me into jumping.

I usually don't do that... LOL

Oh, and nice comeback Dreadz. I won that round, but props to that your comeback. You had me sweating bullets.
yo that round was crazy that burning kick was clutch.

oh and yea forcing a jump by poking is too good.

more matches are in order your viper is gettin too good.

if there was a 2 on 2 tourny, me and minato would stomp everyone. angrlylobster and vijin would be a good match too

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Out of all the SF games, Blanka, Vega, and Zangief were always my bad matchups.
I really got to overcome them.

And Dreadz, it's really hard to tick throw your Vega. I see you doing 2 things: Attacking and doing a backwards flip. Vega's attacks have a lot of priority and your backwards flip makes me whiff.

My Viper is solid, but it still has issues with certain matchups. Fun playing you, though.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
Out of all the SF games, Blanka, Vega, and Zangief were always my bad matchups.
I really got to overcome them.

And Dreadz, it's really hard to tick throw your Vega. I see you doing 2 things: Attacking and doing a backwards flip. Vega's attacks have a lot of priority and your backwards flip makes me whiff.

My Viper is solid, but it still has issues with certain matchups. Fun playing you, though.
blanka's my worst matchup aswell as vegas worst match up

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
There are a few tier lists.

The American tier list, the Japanese tier list, and the magazine one.
yup

This was the most recent tier list from Tougeki Damashii:

S +

Sagat, Viper, Akuma, Zangief

S

Ryu, Balrog, Rufus, Blanka

A
Chun li, M. Bison, Ken, Dhalsim, Abel, Honda, El Fuerte

B
Vega, Guile

Minato

穏やかじゃない
yup

This was the most recent tier list from Tougeki Damashii:

S +

Sagat, Viper, Akuma, Zangief

S

Ryu, Balrog, Rufus, Blanka

A
Chun li, M. Bison, Ken, Dhalsim, Abel, Honda, El Fuerte

B
Vega, Guile
Because of Dreadz he moved up, LOL.

Anyways, I'm glad Viper got a boost, but she really shouldn't be that high. Sure she's really good if you can pull off crazy super jump cancel combos and all that, but she should belong in S or top of A.

And I love how the tier list only goes to B. Goes to show how balanced SF IV is.
Look at Brawl, doesn't that list go to G tier or something?

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
I didn't know Blanka was in Ryu's tier area since I don't really see any matches on Youtube but I've seen close to every other character in tournaments.

What's Blanka's advantage in most match-ups?
his easy and abusable moves. plus turtle blanka is tough to fight against and he ***** vega

Because of Dreadz he moved up, LOL.

Anyways, I'm glad Viper got a boost, but she really shouldn't be that high. Sure she's really good if you can pull off crazy super jump cancel combos and all that, but she should belong in S or top of A.

And I love how the tier list only goes to B. Goes to show how balanced SF IV is.
Look at Brawl, doesn't that list go to G tier or something?
lol

viper has a high damage output in the long run. japanese are ****** with her

and yea im diggin the balance. lets hope it stays that way

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's still funny to see Viper right under Sagat and above Akuma and Zangief.

I never would've guessed.
Well, I did choose her before the game was even released.

But yeah, the SF IV tiers are changing each and every time. I hope the next one includes console characters.

EDIT: I wish my C Viper was as good as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whMRNJ2e09o&feature=PlayList&p=50CC4D2A26894126&playnext=1&index=5

So many cancels...
Come to think of it, I've never touched Viper's Challenge mode yet. I need to get started on that soon.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
It's still funny to see Viper right under Sagat and above Akuma and Zangief.

I never would've guessed.
Well, I did choose her before the game was even released.

But yeah, the SF IV tiers are changing each and every time. I hope the next one includes console characters.

EDIT: I wish my C Viper was as good as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whMRNJ2e09o&feature=PlayList&p=50CC4D2A26894126&playnext=1&index=5

So many cancels...
Come to think of it, I've never touched Viper's Challenge mode yet. I need to get started on that soon.
u havent?

hop on dat!!!

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
The console characters Sakura, Dan, Gen, Rose, Fei Long, and Cammy I believe as well as gouken and Seth aren't included in the tier list because current tournies in Japan (and maybe here) only allowed the original arcade characters as well as akuma I think.

The odds are is when they are allowed they might not have a great change on the tier list besides maybe gouken or seth if he's playable. For the most part They'll fit in around S, A, or B tier list for most of them I'm guessing.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Seth would be bottom tier if it mattered at all because of how incredibly weak he is. His Ultra sucks beyond imagination and his attack power is monsterously low along with his defence. He has amazing moves, but get hit once and you can kiss 50% of your health goodbye. You'd have to be a master player to use Seth effectively.
Dan would be bottom tier too cause he has two decent attacks, his med. kick and Shoryuken. Other than that he's just too weak. I give him points for having a crouching taunt, arieal taunt, and even a super taunt though.

Cammy and Fei Long are pretty good, but I don't much care for Rose at all.
But all in all, I still say the Tier list proves nothing. A skilled bottom tier character player can still horribly whoop a skilled top tier player in the end.

Mith_

Smash Champion

I read that tick throwing is (almost) nonexistant in SF4. You can just jump out of them. This hurts Gief a lot but that just means I gotta set up for SPD's some other way.

I didn't know Blanka was in Ryu's tier area since I don't really see any matches on Youtube but I've seen close to every other character in tournaments.

What's Blanka's advantage in most match-ups?
IMO Blanka is really good. He has lots of options for everybody. He can turtle or rush down and has crazy cross ups. EX Blanka Ball goes past fireballs clean. I finally beat a Blanka today with Gief. I was too happy :laugh:

Holy crap. Amazing execution.

What do you guys think of everybody's DLC outfits? Chun-Li has the best one by far.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
So far the downloadable content for SFIV is just a joke. They want me to pay for alternate costumes for characters that I don't play. Most of the alt. costumes aren't even that impressive. I still can't believe they want to charge for them, not even everyone's, just afew of the characters with each one. That's a d&$k move if you ask me.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
I ran into something strange today.

I was playing through Arcade mode on the highest difficulty (gotta get them achievements) with Seth, since he was the only character I hadn't yet used to beat Arcade mode. Through some bizarre mix of sheer luck and obscene throw priority, I managed to get a Perfect against Seth. Something strange happened, though, as soon as I got the KO; the music stopped completely, and the camera zoomed in on the beaten Seth. He rose into the air in what I assume was supposed to be some kind of ham-fisted reference to Christ, and said something to the effect of "Now! Witness my true power!" as his Ultra meter drained, as though he were performing a move.

Now, all of you who played Street Fighter III probably thought the exact same thing I did at the time; Seth must have some kind of secret Resurrection Ultra, an obvious reference (and possibly foreshadowing, this being a prequel) to Gill. However, his health didn't refill like I expected it to. Instead, the match went straight to the second round, as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Anyone else run into this?

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
That happens if you fight him with more than one round. His first round on best out of 3 or 5 is always a joke. He doesn't do much other than focus spam and is very easily beat. After doing that little act of his, is when he turns into the boss Seth we all know and love with the EX Tendon things and crazy annoying attacks. It's nothing special. You either skipped it before or only played with it set to one round.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
Ahh, that explains how I was able to get that perfect in the first place. Also, the slightly different music. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yeah, I'd had it set to just one round before. Until today, I was only using Arcade mode to unlock characters, and after that, find online matches more easily, so I never had a reason to set it higher.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it was the other way around for me. I started off on default rounds and always saw that I was so good when I beat up Seth till he did that. When I was just trying to get everyone I noticed he simply started off all beefed up.

So how'd it go with the hardest arcade run through? Think you can pull off the two perfects and three ultras with no continues to face off against Gouken for that achievment. I honestly have accepted the fact that that won't be happening anytime soon for me. I have enough achievments to keep me happy for the time being.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
It was pretty difficult, unsurprisingly. Like you said, Seth has a lot of fantastic moves, but they're pretty weak in terms of actual damage dealt. That, combined with his horrible defense, meant I was spamming his Triple Shoryuken and Spinning Piledriver by the time I got to my rival.

The AI wasn't really too tough, compared to some of the better human players I've come up against. In general, they don't usually know the basic things that most humans learn early on, like countering a jump with an anti-air and how to avoid getting hit with a Level 3 Focus Attack on wakeup. The main thing that gave me trouble was the fact that they're significantly better at stringing attacks together and cancelling into Ultras. I'm pretty confident that if I were using my best characters, I could get the two perfects, and the three Ultras would be easy. Not so sure about the continues, though. AI Seth isl a monster at that level.

Top Bottom