• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, maybe I just got lucky this time around. The only Shotos I had to fight were Ken and Sagat, and neither of them seemed to be quick enough on the uptake to start an uppercut before I hit them with a jumping fierce kick.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
From what I have heard Rose is supposedly the console character who has the best chance of placing well on the tier list, but even she won't make it too high. In general the original cast is just better than the new guys. And as a dedicated Cammy player I can tell you honestly, she isn't very good.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Then again you can say the same about almost any other character in the game. The problem is that a good Rose can be countered by a good...just about anyone else. At least how I see it, that seems to be the case. I havn't seen anyone do that great with her yet. Also she's got that hideous factor working against her.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Soul Fire (i forget the name of her fireball) has horrid startup. Reflector is good though imo, but a good opponent won't let you use it, which makes it bad lol. The Soul Drill can be a nice hefty combo finisher.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Soul Spark, bro.

And Rose's projectile game sucks. Her anti-air shenanigans (Soul Throw) are okay. Everything else is...well, okay.

I know you guys are talking about the console-exclusive characters, but I wanna shift gears and talk about Abel. How many of you guys think he's beast?

Smooth Criminal

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
hes beast until you get up in high level play then he tops out :/ thats what ive read about most of the abels in my area :x

Mith_

Smash Champion
Abel is fast as hell, AND he has a command throw that does decent damage. That roll is hella gay and the fact that he can combo it into his throw doesn't make it any less absurd. He has an anti-air throw to boot, but idk how reliable it is. I think he is extremely well rounded and in the right hands can, like you said, beast.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
Abel is fast as hell, AND he has a command throw that does decent damage. That roll is hella gay and the fact that he can combo it into his throw doesn't make it any less absurd. He has an anti-air throw to boot, but idk how reliable it is. I think he is extremely well rounded and in the right hands can, like you said, beast.
you can grab him out of his roll, i think the timing is similar to CvS2 when grabbing someone out of a Roll.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
you can grab him out of his roll, i think the timing is similar to CvS2 when grabbing someone out of a Roll.
This, but I should note that good Abels usually don't roll to directly approach. They usually apply it as a defensive maneuver, to get out of the way of fireballs or wake-up attacks.

But then again, they need to be super careful spacing that ****. If they don't they're gonna a) whiff whatever grab/attack they had in mind or b) not even going to get the chance to counterattack, as the opponent will read them and go in for a **** combo.

Smooth Criminal

Minty

Smash Apprentice
I think im gonna main Gouken.

@Smooth When i was playing Abel via Arcade mode I found his moves to be really hard to set up. lol sometimes I would roll with no intention. Oh well.

___
If anybody is looking for a fansite, which I just started up. I know there is nothing but you guys can check it out... and if you want become members and help post etcs.

check out www.sf4.x10hosting.com

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sakura Rose and Gouken are all high tier material.

Cammy, Dan and Fei Long are trash.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
IparryU has a pretty good Cammy, but she still isn't very good. She has no grounded overhead, and basically no option against turtling opponents. She has a good offense with her strong combo's, good range, solid mixups, and a few good ways to land her ultra, but she is so unsafe on block that starting those combos can be difficult. She basically has to wait for her opponent to make a mistake and then capitalize on it. If they are playing it safe though, she really can't do much.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
she has options against Turtling her cannon spike is very quick and she can also bait very well i'll admit shes not as good as her previous Games but she can still WIN its the skill that wins in this game Xd so dont underestimate the character when you go up against her xD

i read alot on the SRK threads about cammy there making her pretty good but obviously we'll see where she stands later on in the game

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
yup

This was the most recent tier list from Tougeki Damashii:

S +

Sagat, Viper, Akuma, Zangief

S

Ryu, Balrog, Rufus, Blanka

A
Chun li, M. Bison, Ken, Dhalsim, Abel, Honda, El Fuerte

B
Vega, Guile
I saw this tier listing a while back at srk.com and just like it is there, I absolutely do not agree with this Tier Listing. Viper and Gouki imo are ranked way too high, and Ryu and Balrog should be taking their spots. I do not agree on Viper "being" that good, simply because as strong as some of the japanese players have been playing her. She hasn't been playing Top consistently enough for a good period for me to jump on the Viper bandwagon and be convinced.

Also, what have they been doing in the past month that has all of a sudden made her more beastly then even someone like Ryu? Gouki as well? I know some peeps at srk.com who live Tokyo and even they are whacked at the Tougeki's Tier placing of these two characters.

Viper being S, yes, that's possible...but being right under Sagat from Middle to #2? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and completely makes me puzzled. Yes, Viper's got some beefy setups, and she has tricks...and that's really it. She's a tricky character, and imo, with her trick's being discovered and being new, that this is why she's ranked so high.

Imo, once people start to get beyond her tricks, she'll be dropping down, unless these "tricks" happen to be so beastly that they continue to keep her up there. However I do not agree at this point, there's just no way Viper's as good as Ryu's damage and versatility. Also, Gouki is strong, but #3 again imo is way too high.

Ryu and Balrog imo should be #2 and #3, they are super beast atm, Rog especially, good gosh, he's a powerhouse.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I hate Balrog's priority.

It makes it a pain since I usually trade hits with him because of his reach.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I hate Balrog's priority.

It makes it a pain since I usually trade hits with him because of his reach.
Luckily, I have a friend who uses Balrog all the time, so I learned quickly how to nullify the power of his attacks with speed and prediction. If you can tell what a Balrog player's going to do next, the you can fight circles (or semi-circles, since it's in 2D) around him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
OneWingSephiroth for president.

Sagat Ryu and Gief is top 3.

Always will be imo. Then Rog is 4th.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
OneWingSephiroth for president.

Sagat Ryu and Gief is top 3.

Always will be imo. Then Rog is 4th.
im sorry, but yall dont give viper enough credit. she can poor on the damage herself, and she can dizzy just as quick. her "tricks" as you call them are mindgames, the only way to conquer a good viper is to conquer the player. its the player that makes viper. I feel she deserves her spot, i dont see what kind of insane advantage ryu would have on her. now, boxer, thats a different story, but i feel she has the tools necessary to stomp out any good shoto player, whether it be ryu, akuma, or ken. shes just too good.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
List these tools. She has solid rushdown I know this.

I think it's mainly the fact that she does alot of stun.

Shenanigans is one thing but doing alot of stun is a baseline attribute that can really make a character stand out. No different then having good pokes or a good defensive game.

That said, I'm thinking high tier for her. Stun is good, but you still need to be able to hit someone consistently. I don't think she is better then Ryu. Maybe Akuma. I certainly don't think she is better then Sagat.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
List these tools. She has solid rushdown I know this.

I think it's mainly the fact that she does alot of stun.

Shenanigans is one thing but doing alot of stun is a baseline attribute that can really make a character stand out. No different then having good pokes or a good defensive game.

That said, I'm thinking high tier for her. Stun is good, but you still need to be able to hit someone consistently. I don't think she is better then Ryu. Maybe Akuma. I certainly don't think she is better then Sagat.
Sagat ***** most, so i agree. her tools for shotos are pretty simple, 1, being her qcb+lp dips under projectiles, meaning a free punish on hadouken spammers without having to risk a jump in to a srk. you can use her fakes to bait a srk, well, a smart player may not fall for it, but the average shoto player will, because you cant really retaliate against her qcb+lp or mp because of the block stun and the fact it pushes you back, so some people will resort to trying to srk the move, which does work, but you trade most of the times.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I really don't even know why I main Cammy anymore. I have always been a Cammy/Geif player in the games their in, but now that my big Russian friend is good, I just don't seem that interested in him anymore. I also enjoy playing Sakura, Rose, Sagat, and Abel, who are all much better, but for some reason I just can't stop playing Cammy. It's a terrible addiction I have.

As for the tiers, I really liked the previous one. I see no reason why top three should not be Sagat, Ryu, Zangeif. Viper is good for sure, but no where near Sagat. Akuma is okay too, but I'd say top of high tier is about where he belongs.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Cammy is a favorite among high level players despite her weaknesses. She has a fun and interesting play style.

Too bad she is trash.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
A lot of Cammy players that aren't good with her like spamming cannon drill(?). It's not like HD Remix so it's very easy to punish.
I've been seeing more and more of a variety on XBL. Less Kens and more Sagats.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
soo I just bought this game and a ps3 yesterday. Seth like destroyed me on normal mode with some crazy moves. Then I read up and learned I can just unlock everything on easy and set the rounds to 1 lol.

I didn't know Guile was so low on the tier list. I'm curious to know why because to me hes like the most fun at the moment behind Ryu (hasn't unlocked any characters yet).

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
soo I just bought this game and a ps3 yesterday. Seth like destroyed me on normal mode with some crazy moves. Then I read up and learned I can just unlock everything on easy and set the rounds to 1 lol.

I didn't know Guile was so low on the tier list. I'm curious to know why because to me hes like the most fun at the moment behind Ryu (hasn't unlocked any characters yet).
For Akuma and Gouken you're probably going to want to set it back to three rounds in order to get some margin for error in getting those perfects/ultras.

As for the tier list, don't put much thought into it; the list doesn't matter much; the game is very balanced regardless.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
Yeah it seems pretty balanced. I'll still be playing guile regardless but I just wanted to know what people think. Thanks for the tip about getting Akuma and Gouken as I'll be unlocking everyone asap.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Sagat ***** most, so i agree. her tools for shotos are pretty simple, 1, being her qcb+lp dips under projectiles, meaning a free punish on hadouken spammers without having to risk a jump in to a srk. you can use her fakes to bait a srk, well, a smart player may not fall for it, but the average shoto player will, because you cant really retaliate against her qcb+lp or mp because of the block stun and the fact it pushes you back, so some people will resort to trying to srk the move, which does work, but you trade most of the times.
Her move to dip under projectiles to me doesn't make this a cake walk for Shoto's, especially someone like Ryu, considering that no smart shoto going up against Viper would in their mind try to projectile her to death anyhow. In this game, Ryu's biggest strength is not within his projectile game (although it's a strong point, it's not as strong as it was in SFII, were his Hadouken was like his #1 priority), but what he can do to you within footsie, outside footsie range, and up close. This is where Ryu can completely own you. Viper relies heavily upon tricks, and being tricky to confuse you and make you mess up, this is much in similar fashion to ST. Blanka. If you don't know his tricks in there...he's an absolute monster, once you start figuring out his tricks...he struggles.

I'm not saying that Viper isn't good I even said she has potential to be S, which is only right under S+, so saying that I don't give her enough credit is an understatement. What I disagree upon is, what made her beast so much that within a month's time she's ranked right under Sagat?

When you jump from Middle-Tier to Top-Tier at #2...anyone would be scratching their heads. I mean, is she going to be a Urien fetish type character were she's really good with her stuff, then once it gets snuffed out, she really isn't as good as once told, or is her tools going to be consistent and strong throughout the lifetime of SF:IV.

Character's like Ryu have proven they can last...ShoryukenxxFADC is super beast in SF:IV period. When I play a good Viper, I stay within or outside of sweep range against her, and punish her accordingly, and when I do Shoryuken, I almost always make sure I have an FADC available, unless I am super sure I'll land it clean, otherwise regular AA on jump in's ftw...which Ryu has excellent regular AA anyhow. If I get remotely close towards the corner, I know that if I have Ultra and bar, I have the option of Ex-Tatsu in a combo setup or whiff or w/e and that ='s Ultra near or at the corner. Not to mention, Ryu's damage potential on Viper is insane in comparison to most other characters due to her smaller stamina bar.

Again, I'm not entirely convinced she's that good, and I find jumping from Middle to Top...that's HUGE. This isn't like she was Upper-Tier, or considered Top 5 for awhile...it was only like last month that she was considered Middle-Tier at best, and a bit before that, she was ranked even lower. Remember that Dictator was said to be better then Ryu before as well, when they started to find some great stuff with him, and Ryu was considered like #5...however once people started to figure out Dictator's stuff, he dropped, while Ryu again moved back up the list. However, I don't hear of a solid success story of Viper's placing and taking tournaments in SF:IV with a fair amount of consistency yet.

As I said, I know peeps in Japan, and Viper is winning and losing as much as she's been since last month. Sure, you've got guys like Kunai beasting with her, however for me to validate her being that good, she has to continue on this trend longer before I'm a believer. Even when people were saying that Ryu was Top 3 back when SF:IV was only like 3 months old...I didn't believe it, until more consistency kept coming in, more players other then Daigo were placing top 3, and not only that, but taking tournaments, then I became a believer.

I feel the same way with Viper, and to me, tricks can really only go so far, unless they are super exploitable. If I'm proven wrong later down the road that she is that good, I don't mind, however at this point, I think Viper's trickery being finally used effectively are throwing people off, and that in time, once people start to pick it up against her, that she'll go down the list, unless as I stated earlier, they are so exploitable that there really isn't a truly effective way to counter it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think a lot of people agree with you, as do I.

She has potential to be good, but being right under Sagat seems a little off. I think she'll drop down to S class soon enough.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
good points, i can agree with you on that. thats the problem with arguing tiers so early in a games life, you just dont know what to expect really. the game has to develop and come to a point where there arent drastic changes in the metagame in order for a proper tier list to be made. but right now the tier lists are only going to keep evolving as players keep evolving. i think the reason viper was orginally ranked lower than she was now, was because she wasnt used as much, as characters like ryu and sagat. but after people started seeing what was possible with her, more and more people are trying to get good with her, and i think her ascension on the tier list is a result of that.

Panix

Smash Ace
I think a lot of people agree with you, as do I.

She has potential to be good, but being right under Sagat seems a little off. I think she'll drop down to S class soon enough.
projectial spam to a demon dash keeps ziegf away.

Top Bottom