• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Anyone know if you can see what games people have in their battle.net profile? I've got a friend who wants to add me, but I don't want him to know I played WoW (mainly because he was always trying to get me into it, then when I did start playing I didn't tell him, so...)

M@v

Subarashii!
While we are on the friend subject, What are your sc2 names? I'll add you. Mines
Mav.

Or do we need the email?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Reaver is mine, though I doubt anyone will really add me, ha ha.

There's some identification code to go along with it, but I don't remember it.

Fletch

Smash Master
I know ODIN mentioned this, but does anyone have a spare guest key. I'd really like to try the game out on my laptop as well before buying.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I hate that they are forcing ID codes on us.

Anyway, campaign mode is really great so far. Thanks for making this spoiler free, guys.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Really really really bad comparison. You equate superior interface to dumbed down experience? Brawl failed because it removed depth and broke many great mechanics, not because the controls suddenly improved. In Starcraft 2, you can actually focus on strategy because you don't have to micromanage your workers, and you can pump out units en mass. The introduction of cliff-hopper units makes the game so intense all the time. What is wrong with controlling multiple buildings and selecting huge groups of units? You'd really rather go back to 12-unit limits and single building selections???
Controlling multiple buildlings/selecting huge groups is like taking out L-canceling. Yes, it's superior interface and requires less attention to mechanics, but saying that the "emphasis on strategy" in SC2 is like saying "Brawl is better because we space and use mindgames in it."

Like Melee, BW requires everything that SC2 does (you can't argue that BW requires crazy depth especially due to the fact it's so ridiculously balanced you have to consider all possibilities). L-canceling isn't necessary; the developers could have just made it so that all moves had half their current lag (ignoring L-canceling). Yet this is a skill that can be required. Similarly, controlling multiple things one at a time (lol) and being efficient is a skill.

Also, my arguments are a bit better articulated in this GameFAQs post (although I do find parts I could have refined a bit more): link

The comparison of multiple selection and removing L-canceling is completely appropriate. They basically serve the same functions: easier gameplay, reduces level of techskill (mechanics in SC) required to be effective/efficient, opens up game to more casual audience.

One thing I do want to say is that, unlike my OPINION (no flame, guys) of "Melee > Brawl" which I believe to be true, I'm not on the boat of "BW > SC2." I believe that they're are not on different levels but on different planes (where neither plane is on top of the other, lol). Also, SC2 has a long way to go. As I point out in my GameFAQs post, balancing is an issue which will eventually be ironed out over time as BW was.

You're probs just sayin this cause you're broke in real life or something and can't afford SC2
I have an internship and, if I want, I can pay with my own money. I don't see where you're going with this argument with your ignorance. At least TheBuzzSaw has an argument that actually has reason.

D

Deleted member

are you sure you're not the ignorant one? drawing baseless conclusions from a game you haven't played? i'm just messing with you, dude. Buy the game. This game is like Chess 2.0

Azsy

Smash Cadet
The official beta forums had nothing but threads complaining about Void Rays. It was endless. I would continually post the challenge: "OK, let's play. You go all Void Rays. I won't build a single one. I DARE YOU."
Void Rays are veeeeery overrated.

I'm a gold level 1v1, and My character name is AzsyluM if anyone's down to play some 2s or 3s :)

M@v

Subarashii!
ugh, my comp have overheated 3 times now like 5 minutes into a match wtfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

>.<

Lovage

Smash Hero
anyone want to play

i just got placed into rank 5 platinum LOL placement was sooo much easier than it was in beta

esoh.434

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Anyone know if you can see what games people have in their battle.net profile? I've got a friend who wants to add me, but I don't want him to know I played WoW (mainly because he was always trying to get me into it, then when I did start playing I didn't tell him, so...)
No, with only your Identifier which is linked only to SC2 he can't know that. But with Real ID probably, yes. So depend on how you you want him to add y ou :p

And I've finished the campaign on Brutal, was pretty fun and challenging. No have to wait for HotS :(

And if anyone want to play, I'm Cynan.623

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
are you sure you're not the ignorant one? drawing baseless conclusions from a game you haven't played? i'm just messing with you, dude. Buy the game. This game is like Chess 2.0
F***, chess 2.0? That sounds too good to be true. :V But yeah, regardless of all the things I said, I've still contemplated buying it. I mean, man, it's Blizzard. And Blizzard almost, if not always, delivers. It's not like the problem Brawl had where HAL didn't design the stuff. So yeah. But $60 is still pretty steep for me after buying my new computer and guitar. :( I have to contemplate!

Fletch

Smash Master
Ugh, if you guys are having overheating problems I'm guessing I'm going to have to get another computer to start playing. SC2 better be worth it, but I just don't think I can skip out on this game.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ugh, if you guys are having overheating problems I'm guessing I'm going to have to get another computer to start playing. SC2 better be worth it, but I just don't think I can skip out on this game.
Don't worry too much about it, one of the weird bugs with SC2 is that some graphics cards overheat on low-detail screens, because “the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly”.

M@v

Subarashii!
That has to be what's happening. I only started over-heating when I turned my graphics down to reduce lag <__________<

I had a small fan on it to fix it, but Im going to try switching back to my original graphics setup.

Lobos

Smash Master
Is anyone else having microphone problems?

Was working fine at first but game crashed and then when I restarted it the voice in game chat wasn't working anymore. Even tho the mic itself works (checked it on the tester) I can't hear no one and no one can hear me.

Other than that the game is awesome....played like 4 missions in the campaign and played a few unranked matches. Still learning zergs and seeing whats good.

Lobos.708 if anyone wants to find me

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Controlling multiple buildlings/selecting huge groups is like taking out L-canceling. Yes, it's superior interface and requires less attention to mechanics, but saying that the "emphasis on strategy" in SC2 is like saying "Brawl is better because we space and use mindgames in it."

Like Melee, BW requires everything that SC2 does (you can't argue that BW requires crazy depth especially due to the fact it's so ridiculously balanced you have to consider all possibilities). L-canceling isn't necessary; the developers could have just made it so that all moves had half their current lag (ignoring L-canceling). Yet this is a skill that can be required. Similarly, controlling multiple things one at a time (lol) and being efficient is a skill.

Also, my arguments are a bit better articulated in this GameFAQs post (although I do find parts I could have refined a bit more): link

The comparison of multiple selection and removing L-canceling is completely appropriate. They basically serve the same functions: easier gameplay, reduces level of techskill (mechanics in SC) required to be effective/efficient, opens up game to more casual audience.

One thing I do want to say is that, unlike my OPINION (no flame, guys) of "Melee > Brawl" which I believe to be true, I'm not on the boat of "BW > SC2." I believe that they're are not on different levels but on different planes (where neither plane is on top of the other, lol). Also, SC2 has a long way to go. As I point out in my GameFAQs post, balancing is an issue which will eventually be ironed out over time as BW was.
I still disagree with the bulk of your comparisons. Starcraft has an entire element outside of the combat: the structure management. Smash flat out lacks this component, so there really is no comparison. Smash is 100% direct combat (aside from the occasional special such as producing a turnip or charging the lazer). The loss of L-canceling can be better aligned with SC2's general removal of advanced BW micro techniques. Structure management was simply a UI failure in BW, not some deep mechanic that made the game better. Besides, it's not all different in SC2. Even with all the enhancements, it still requires a degree of talent to know how/when to shift attention away from the current battle to manage unit construction.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I still disagree with the bulk of your comparisons. Starcraft has an entire element outside of the combat: the structure management. Smash flat out lacks this component, so there really is no comparison. Smash is 100% direct combat (aside from the occasional special such as producing a turnip or charging the lazer). The loss of L-canceling can be better aligned with SC2's general removal of advanced BW micro techniques. Structure management was simply a UI failure in BW, not some deep mechanic that made the game better. Besides, it's not all different in SC2. Even with all the enhancements, it still requires a degree of talent to know how/when to shift attention away from the current battle to manage unit construction.
That's my whole point. I may have been making a comparison, but it is most directly called an "analogy." Just because I say "apple is to tree as baby is to mom" doesn't mean all trees are moms.

And "better" for the "UI failure" is completely subjective. I could argue that it's better because BW would require more mechanics and thus more "skill" to play. So this is a moot point.

And, like, someone has mentioned (or someone elsewhere), this degree of talent could apply just as easily to Age of Empires. I mean, I love AoE, but it's not SC level. But it had basically the same interfact regarding "structure management" as far as I know.

Also, on another note, I really want to hear from others about the problems of SC2 that I've heard time and time again (and only after one day of its release!) about SC2. Such examples are the setting up of SC2, the lack of LAN play (which I hope they will release eventually...), and the overall cost of SC2. I love SC, but I don't think I'd pay $60 for a game. More like >$120 after the other expansions, too. But that last one's a subjective question.

EDIT: Creator of CAD comics says that SC2 computers are usually okay once you get past their initial rush... Sounds exactly like what the computers in BroodWar did, LOL. I mean, an early rush with good economic support is good (if you can succeed in your rush else your advantage with the rush be screwed).

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
So, I'm terrible.
Who wants to teach me protoss basics?
Step 1: YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!!

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!!

>_> I haven't really played 2 yet, at least well, since my craptop doesn't like it (YET!). But from SC1, Dragoons and Carriers are your friends.

You can also check out the Starcraft wiki. Sorry I can't be more help, but I saw a good CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS spot, and had to take it.

rhan

Smash Hero
Hey you're trying to play Protoss? :D

DOn't ever ever get Void Rays! They suck assssss! :D

Remember never ever get Void Rays! :D

They die easily to Marines! :D

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm good on Starcraft 1, but I'm totally new to SC2. Protoss are confusing me. All I know is spamming void rays is good.

Should all my gateways be warpgates?

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
From what I hear, just being protoss gives you an advantage, lol. In all seriousness, that's what I've heard, and it's something they're trying to balance out. P: Though the difference is so small, kinda, that it's like comparing the top 5 tier characters in Melee; the better player will always win as long as they better by a decent margin.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
From what I've picked up on, currently, Terran is considered the best and most versatile, Protoss is middle, and Zerg are getting the short end of the stick.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm good on Starcraft 1, but I'm totally new to SC2. Protoss are confusing me. All I know is spamming void rays is good.

Should all my gateways be warpgates?
Yes they should.

Also my last post was sarcasm out the ***. I just hate Void Rays a hellava lot ever since the beta. Those things are still broke as a bish.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Is anyone else part of the revolt over Blizzard's Forced-Online checks? Or you all a bunch of fanboys?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yes they should.

Also my last post was sarcasm out the ***. I just hate Void Rays a hellava lot ever since the beta. Those things are still broke as a bish.
Yeah, I figured.

So should my goal be to get a core up quick so I can start getting warpgates? The way I've been doing it now is gateway up first, maybe a second, then core.

M@v

Subarashii!
What's the best counter for void rays as terran?

Rest of post is opinions and advice.

Protoss is my best, was in sc1, but I want to get good with terran too. I was bad with them in sc1, but really like them in sc2.

Btw, vs protoss, best early build imo is maruaders and marines. If they rush stalkers(which is a popular strat), marauders own them.

@melo. Imo it depends on the situation. Normal gates don't have the cooldown time between warps, plus you can use the nexus speed boost on them. I like warp gates when I have expos. Easy to get reinforcements around the battlefield. Also what I do sometimes is build a pylon up near the enemy base, and just start warping units in. Pair it with blink stalkers and observers, and you got a harassment production line.

rhan

Smash Hero
Yeah, I figured.

So should my goal be to get a core up quick so I can start getting warpgates? The way I've been doing it now is gateway up first, maybe a second, then core.
I'm not a Toss main. But I see gateways during the beginning and then later on during mid-game they get warped. Warp gates cut down the build time for units. But you do have to keep in mind that you need units to defend. You don't want to try and jump the system and possibly leave your self open for a counter attack.

What's the best counter for void rays as terran?
Believe it or not. Mass Marines and Vikings mix. Marines because of how Void Rays power up whenever they stay focused on a target and marines die quick so they stay weak. Viks because they **** air units. And if you're in late game go BC/Viks.

@melo. Imo it depends on the situation. Normal gates don't have the cooldown time between warps, plus you can use the nexus speed boost on them. I like warp gates when I have expos. Easy to get reinforcements around the battlefield. Also what I do sometimes is build a pylon up near the enemy base, and just start warping units in. Pair it with blink stalkers and observers, and you got a harassment production line.
I didn't know about the cooldown rate. How long does that last? I bet it's not as long as it takes to make a few Stalkers.

Btw: Marauders pretty much **** any Protoss ground except for Immortals/Colossus (Spelling). Not much of stalkers though unless you got a mix of Tanks in there. Siege Tanks are the strong counter for Stalkers since they pretty much are the Dragoon replacement.

I mix Tank/Marauders against Stalkers.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Is anyone else part of the revolt over Blizzard's Forced-Online checks? Or you all a bunch of fanboys?
I am. I'm also not pleased that they chose to remove the LAN feature and release the game in 3 separate parts. (Well, they're part of Activision now so that's to be expected of course)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
That's my whole point. I may have been making a comparison, but it is most directly called an "analogy." Just because I say "apple is to tree as baby is to mom" doesn't mean all trees are moms.
lolwut? I know it was an analogy. I was pointing out that you made a bad one.

And "better" for the "UI failure" is completely subjective. I could argue that it's better because BW would require more mechanics and thus more "skill" to play. So this is a moot point.
Have you played SC2 yet? Were you in the beta? I was in the beta since very early on. Your attempts to equate bad UI to skill are sad.

And, like, someone has mentioned (or someone elsewhere), this degree of talent could apply just as easily to Age of Empires. I mean, I love AoE, but it's not SC level. But it had basically the same interfact regarding "structure management" as far as I know.
I still think you are missing the point. Base management is indeed an important component of strategy, but the emphasis is on war tactics. Having to individually select buildings does nothing to contribute to that. Imagine for a moment that your units never auto-attacked and that you had to manually select your units and tell them to defend themselves as enemies moved in. Would you see that as a good mechanic? Would you be upset that SC2 added in automatic unit defense? Now that I've played SC2, I really cannot go back to the first one. I now can focus my efforts on formations and strategy rather than having to go home and click-hotkey-click-hotkey-click-hotkey-click-hotkey-click-hotkey-...

Also, on another note, I really want to hear from others about the problems of SC2 that I've heard time and time again (and only after one day of its release!) about SC2. Such examples are the setting up of SC2, the lack of LAN play (which I hope they will release eventually...), and the overall cost of SC2. I love SC, but I don't think I'd pay $60 for a game. More like >$120 after the other expansions, too. But that last one's a subjective question.
I generally agree that $60 is overpriced for games, but I make exception for Blizzard games because I get more than $60 worth of enjoyment out of them. Heck, I still play Diablo II to this day. $50 paid once for 10+ years of enjoyment is a hefty investment. Other games, on the other hand, hold my attention for all of 3 months (with periodic returns every year or so). For those other games, I generally wait until they finally plummet to $20. So, if you foresee yourself playing SC2 over the next 5 years, you'll find that $60 is rather fair price. If not, well, yeah, $60 is too much for any game.

I have not purchased the game yet. For one thing, I don't have $60 laying around, and I am still seriously weighing my options. The lack of LAN play is a huge turnoff. LAN play is what made the first game worth it to me. There are times when my Internet goes down; it is insulting on so many levels that I cannot play multiplayer over my router with friends simply because Blizzard does not trust me.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
What is this?
It is part of Blizzards new DRM scheme to keep players in line. It forces anyone who legitimately purchases the game to login to their Blizzard account if they want to use the full features of their game while pirates sidestep all the hoops that Blizzard has set up for you.

The new scheme is part of a larger set of bad business practices that not only punish the honest while doing nothing to pirates, but is also extremely greedy in that they are releasing an "unfinished" game (less than a third of it) while charging more than full game price. In fact, premium game price.

As stated by F8AL, no Lan support is included, nor can you spawn copies of games for friends, and you can't have multiple logins for household computers. If your wife or kids want to play on their own save, you need to buy a copy for each of them.

This has seriously angered a great many gamers, myself included. What has really angered me is that my brethren in Iraq and Afghanistan who don't have internet connection have bought this game then found out they couldn't play it (I had the same problem with WH4K DoW2 when I was in Iraq). I've decided to not support Blizzard by not buying SC2, emailing the company about my displeasure and actively telling others to do both also.

rhan

Smash Hero
I miss LAN parties. But idgaf about the story being "unfinished". That's kinda how they did wioth Brood War but who cares. It's just something to wait for now to keep the player wanting more. I could give two shyst for the story though. I play for the competitave aspect of the game. Ranking up is my only goal.

Top Bottom