• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Adjudicator

Smash Rookie
thanks for the help and the offer but i dont really like terran
so my next question: who are the best players for each race that i can watch matches of?
I would recommend watching Day9's newbie tuesday and funday monday broadcasts, You can also browse through his archives.

He does a good job of breaking down essential stuff for new players.
http://www.youtube.com/user/day9tv?blend=1&ob=5

rhan

Smash Hero
Starcraft should be fully up and running by this weekend for me. I have to download every patch since the dawn of time.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've found that I can get 9 minute victories against Terran almost every game now if I see them doing that strategy.

14 hatch
16 extractor/pool
Get metaboost
get two queens
get roach warren

Build drones and one scouting pair of lings while doing that.

When you get a "gap" (lots of minerals, no roach warren finished), make 3 overlords or so.

Continually make roaches until you run out of gas.

Move roaches to front of enemy base. As you are moving roaches, build a baneling nest.

Make tons of lings and rally them to where the roaches will be.

Roaches and lings approach at same time.

Kill Terran expansion, break their wall, kill them. Use banelings to bust wall if need be, but you generally won't.

Reinforce with lings, not roaches, and with your extra money build a 3rd hatch somewhere as a 3rd base.

You wiiiiiiiiiiin.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thats a really strong strat overswarm.

I like that you mention reinforce with lings not roaches, which is something i've noticed nestea and other top level zergs do but havent implemented into my own game yet.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
(watched the group selection)

MC chose that. He wanted to **** with people/didn't care who he played so he placed his group as group B (nestea was automatically A) and picked MVP. He even mentioned the strong possibility of team killing.

How the selection works, if you haven't seen a little or guess from my last paragraph, is basically each player selects the next person in their group. Some players choose hard players, others choose easy players, ect. Before some GSL matches they show clips from the group selection phase.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I know all that but i dont get why they allow dumb stuff like that that just totally ruins the bracket later. why was the rank 3 gsl player allowed to pick the rank 2? why didnt mvp get his own group?

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Because MVP was in the up and down matches last season. The top 8 players get their "own" group and make the first choice. It makes for less "fairness" but much much more drama, which is what gom was going for (its a TV show for godsakes)

Kenrawr

Smash Master
it's an e-sport, not some drama show. (at least i hope not)

the group thing with Mvp makes a little bit more sense now if that's the case. still seems pretty silly tho.

and before then i remember MKP not getting his own group in at least one of the seasons and i never understood why.

ANKOKU?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Is it this hard to understand how Code S group seeding works?
1st and 2nd place are put on opposite groups, then the rest from the top 8 are randomly arranged. After that, it goes from 1st place down in taking turns picking a player for his group. After that, each player who just got picked selects the next one, and so on.

MC made Ro8 in July, while Mvp got 3rd in his group and finished Ro32. Thus, MC got to select Mvp, who picked Polt, who picked Noblesse.

Basically it looks like this:
Group A - 1st (NesTea)
Group B - Top 8
Group C - Top 8
Group D - Top 8
Group E - Top 8
Group F - Top 8
Group G - Top 8
Group H - 2nd (LoSirA)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well its a korean TV show, and they like the drama. They sacrifice marginal fairness for story lines and hype. The system is balanced somewhat on a fundamental level since players should only be picking people they can beat.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
@ankoku - oh, i thought they take their gsl rankings into account. if that's the case then i get it now. i like how quickly you answered btw. thanks as always rofl

@Sveet - eh, i don't really see any balance when i look at the bracket. my opinion.

if they want hype and drama (lol story lines) then i guess they're doin what they gotta do. i just really want a good gsl finals for once :/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Admittedly, this is very clearly the reason why GSL finals are consistently horrible one-sided affairs.

F1SHY

Smash Apprentice
"Repeated control group and selection commands will no longer count as unique actions for APM calculation purposes. "

dohoho

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If by "screws up" you mean "makes fair", then yes.

This means that Terran can't be super aggro early on with marines while expanding, because now we have time to actually make defensive structures or units to defend ourselves. o_o

Top Bottom