• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
No my friend, YOU'VE done it again. You were the star of the night, without even setting foot in the state.

EDIT: I don't think I'm going to make it viperboy, sorry. Sucks since it sounds like it'll be great; MSOP2 finals were awesome.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
is anyone from st. louis comin to my place this weekend?
sam, geno, zig, random, think, anyone?
we all just got back from FAST lol...still recovering from the drive. i dunno if we will be up for another trip right off the bat...and...with FAST being my first brawl tourney (since KC had the japan early release 1)...i was less than impressed. Teams were tolerable and singles were the most boring thing ive ever had to sit through. it was like going to a dentist appointment to get a tooth pulled. i played 3 matches in my pools and forfeited the rest because i wanted to play melee. so if there will be melee on the side of your brawl tourney then i'd consider going.

The_Loki

Smash Apprentice
ya, both Melee tourneys were fun to watch and Brawl doubles were pretty good (a lot happening on the screen at once to be entertaning and significantly less camping), plus Brawl doubles finished in a reasonable time frame.

Brawl singles though... OMG not only were most of the matches uninteresting to watch, even in the finals there were spans of like 30 - 45 seconds where either player took little to no damage, but pools took nearly seven hours and at that point many people had become disinterested. Plus the fact that 0 T.V.'s were available for friendlies during pools or brackets (people kept leaving early after they got knocked out and taking their setups.)

It's not that Brawl is a bad game, I have fun playing it in both friendlies and in a tourney environment but watching singles for that long and not being able to play any friendlies games is nearly unbearable and watching matches is half the fun.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen at MSOP but FAST1 burned me and probably a lot of other people out.

That said I am still interested in going and hopefully enough of STL is also.

Legan

Smash Lord
This is why we need to change the rule set from stock to timed. So people actually have to kill each other instead of stalling the entire match.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
if it were timed, ppl would get 1 KO and run away for the rest of the match...like they still do now -_-

Teh Future

Smash Master
time is stupid.

People need to worry about having fun and being agressive more than winning money that they never had a chance of winning in the first place. Also, I just watched DSW vs M2K on youtube, and it was aweosme. It makes me so bummed that I missed out on melee.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Meh, I've tried, but it's SO fast compared to brawl and 64, my fingers just can't ajust.

Not to mention I'd have to get over my hatred of GCN controllers, unlock all the stages and characters in my own copy of melee, become good at the game, and then find people to actually play melee with.

I think I'll just stick with Brawl, even though I hate some features of it, it can still be incredibly fun at times.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I wonder if Zig would still stick up for Brawl singles or would he agree with you guys?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I wonder if Zig would still stick up for Brawl singles or would he agree with you guys?
It's not like I hate melee

It's a fact: FAST's singles took too long. I was captain of the largest/hardest pool, and it was quite a pain.

That said, singles in Brawl aren't as bad as people say they are. Anyone who loses to camping sucks, truly. I think it's a bit of a jaded view juxtaposing a well established, long fleshed out game to a brand new, unproven method of winning. MK's tornado's 2008=Shiek's needles 2002.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I think it's a bit of a jaded view juxtaposing a well established, long fleshed out game to a brand new, unproven method of winning. MK's tornado's 2008=Shiek's needles 2002.
The problem is that you have to work harder to get around the tornado and your reward for it is much smaller than getting around needles in Melee.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think I have enough Brawl love to make up for everyone else. Maybe I could hate the game more if someone I knew played a good meta-knight...

Also, Linux is annoying.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Standardizing Heavy Brawl is a terrible idea. You aren't actually increasing the speed any, just attempting to make an aerial game more ground-based unsuccessfully. Heavy Brawl has several key issues:

-Heavy Brawl kills auto-canceling timing, drastically cutting back possible approaches.
-Heavy Brawl reduces the angles of approach with most characters, especially against those with large-ranged forward ground attacks. *coughSnakecough*
-Heavy Brawl all but destroys edge guarding in Brawl, since it takes place off the stage. This takes away the disadvantage of easily punishable "slow" recoveries like Snake and DeDeDe.
-With fewer options to anticipate, perfect shielding becomes even easier and camping becomes more viable.
-Recoveries are not balanced for Heavy Brawl. Characters who relied on horizontal aerial mobility, such as Link or Yoshi, are now screwed. The physics of some Up-Bs are also majorly nerfed, such as Sonic's.

Heavy Brawl might look good, but try playing it remotely seriously for more than a match or two and the shortfalls become apparent. It fulfills none of your goals and re-enforces things people already complain about. If you want the game to be faster, then Lightning Brawl is the obvious solution. I'm not sure why the high gravity fad got started as a talking point on smashboards; no one actually plays with it.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I hated it at first, but now I love Brawl, and I still feel that most of the complaints for it are based around people having a Melee-mindset. When I play Melee, it reminds me how much I like Brawl more. I used to reminisce about Melee and wish that Brawl didn't exist, but each time I play Melee I find myself realizing that it isn't as miraculous by comparison, and that in reality, all I'm doing is creating a false image.

Sam was at my work today (LAWL I FIXES HER 'PUTAR!) and was telling me how lame Metaknight's infinite cape invincibility is, I can't argue that it's lame, but even given that, I still feel like Brawl is much more open to options acrossed the board as far as character viability goes.

More importantly though, Melee WILL die out. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but it will be impossible to get all of the newbies (or any of them, probably) to play Melee. Why would they? To them, Brawl is the newer game, the better game, why would they play an older game?

You have to face this. There is no arguing that point. Even if you and I and the whole existing community understands the greatness of Melee, the pool will eventually become impossibly stagnant. This is inevitable. Given that, I don't even see the point in ignoring Brawl because you like Melee better.

In the end, the only real option is to get better at Brawl, and get used to what is there and try to find a way around some of the more aggravating tactics. Going back to Melee is the lame way out, it doesn't get you anywhere.

/soapbox, whew.

Legan

Smash Lord
I hated it at first, but now I love Brawl, and I still feel that most of the complaints for it are based around people having a Melee-mindset. When I play Melee, it reminds me how much I like Brawl more. I used to reminisce about Melee and wish that Brawl didn't exist, but each time I play Melee I find myself realizing that it isn't as miraculous by comparison, and that in reality, all I'm doing is creating a false image.

Sam was at my work today (LAWL I FIXES HER 'PUTAR!) and was telling me how lame Metaknight's infinite cape invincibility is, I can't argue that it's lame, but even given that, I still feel like Brawl is much more open to options acrossed the board as far as character viability goes.

More importantly though, Melee WILL die out. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but it will be impossible to get all of the newbies (or any of them, probably) to play Melee. Why would they? To them, Brawl is the newer game, the better game, why would they play an older game?

You have to face this. There is no arguing that point. Even if you and I and the whole existing community understands the greatness of Melee, the pool will eventually become impossibly stagnant. This is inevitable. Given that, I don't even see the point in ignoring Brawl because you like Melee better.

In the end, the only real option is to get better at Brawl, and get used to what is there and try to find a way around some of the more aggravating tactics. Going back to Melee is the lame way out, it doesn't get you anywhere.

/soapbox, whew.
Legan stares* at MMM with a stern face. He then slowly rises from his seat and begins a slow clap.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend

/soapbox, whew.
um wow. I wish KC were like this.

Edit: I will say this though- melee will never die. there are too many people who prefer melee and play brawl just because it is there. SSB didnt die even though melee was so popular.

only1Z

Smash Champion
Not to be like St. louis didn't have as large of a smash scene as the KC kids, but they didn't. It's fine for them to make the shift. :p

Teh Future

Smash Master
If SSB64 hasn't died by now, why do you think melee will die? The metagame will all but disapear eventually, but I don't see that happening any time soon as long as brawl tournies include melee.

There's enough people to support both communities, regardless of what game you prefer. I don't see anything wrong with prefering melee to brawl, because Brawl isn't really a true sequel to Melee gameplay wise it's just too different. And this will always result in people liking one more than the other.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Might be able to smash tomorrow (friday) not sure yet though.

Not to be like St. louis didn't have as large of a smash scene as the KC kids, but they didn't. It's fine for them to make the shift. :p
the only thing "larger" about the KC smash scene is phatgamer....:p

Teh Future

Smash Master
"Till 1am or so. "

Not till 5:30 again? I had fun going WTF DID THAT RED LIGHT COME FROM?!?!?! on my 10 minute drive home.

Oh, and tuesday >> monday, since I never work tuesdays and I can come over before midnight.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
"Till 1am or so. "

Not till 5:30 again? I had fun going WTF DID THAT RED LIGHT COME FROM?!?!?! on my 10 minute drive home.

Oh, and tuesday >> monday, since I never work tuesdays and I can come over before midnight.
haha, yeah I have to work on Sat/Sun so I can't be up that late, 1 or 2 at the latest. Tues and Wed I am off so Monday or Tuesday night I could do it till whenever.

Top Bottom