• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
I'm free all day tomorrow if anyone wants to smash, prolly not a good idea to come here though...

By the way, guess what I found!!!!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Tales of Symphonia?!?!

"No, but I did find _________!"

Everyone loves madlibs.

But no seriously, where was it?

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Sam brought her N64 over and left it here, it got in that bag somehow.....

But yeah, anyone up for smashing tonight? Not sure yet if we could do it here but maybe. If you guys are up for playing really late it would probably be fine if we were here.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
what time are you gonna start letting people in?
I don't really know for sure if ill be having smash here yet.

On another note though. Kyle and I have thought of 2 ideas that we could classify as the "Ultimate Gaming Marathon"

This is how one of them works. You have teams that consist of 2 people in each. (roughly 3 teams would work). Each team picks 1 game to play and each team has to beat all of them in a race for completion, or just for time.

Their is a strategical element in that each team will generally want to pick a game that they are good at. This will give each team an advantage over 1/3rd of the challenge assuming their are 3 teams.

Not all games would be selectable due to some stand out reasons. So we are working on a list of games that would work for this. So far universals games like Mario and Donkey kong country seem like they would work the best.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The Original Idea 1.0

Tis' the season... FOR SPEED!

The concept is simple: A team of friends tries to complete as many games as possible from a given list within 24 consecutive hours! Different games yield different numbers of points, and planning out who will beat what is half the fun!

Games have a focus on single-player completion in an open-ended timeframe. You will find no fighting, racing, sports, or other primarily multiplayer game here. There is also no emphasis on how well the game is completed, just how much. (You won't find Guitar Hero or DDR here...)

I want input on the point values, which ATM are all my own designs and opinions. I obviously tried to base them on a combination of required time, skill, and knowledge.

SMB: 1 The only game that may count more than once! (once per team member)
SMB2: 2 + 1 for A-D
SMB3: 1 for each fully completed world
SMW: 1 per 12 gates
SM64: 1 per 20 stars
SMS: 1 per 20 shines
SMG: 1 per 20 stars

The Mario games are designed to sort of the centerpiece or hub. Points are collected gradually, and people can swap in and out easily given that they are simple Mario games. Overall though, these are supposed to be the easiest points to get, especially the first and #3.

LoZ: 3 + 4 for second quest
AoL: 4
LttP: 5
OoT: 5
MM: 5
WW: 5
TP: 6
(All the latter 5 Zelda games get DOUBLE for 100% heart containers and items.)

Here we get more serious. The Zelda games are all or nothing, doubly so for 100%. They walk a fine line in difficulty, greatly rewarding prior knowledge but still being rather easy.

Metroid: 3
Super Metroid: 4
Metroid Prime: 5
Pikmin: 3

Hardcore speed runners will find a fitting reward for their show of skill here.

DKC: 2, 2 more for 101%
DKC2: 2, 3 more for 102%

I threw in the first two DKC games; easy points, but mainly for those who know them inside out.

Final Fantasy III (VI): 12
Chrono Trigger: 9
Chrono Chross: 15
SMRPG: 8

Ah, RPGs. Given the amount of time, they might seem like a bad idea... but people can easily trade off or even play other games simultaneously given their nature. I picked RPGs that I thought might lend themselves to this.

Kirby SS: 1 each for Dynablade, RoMK, and Milkyway Wishes

I felt bad that Kirby wasn't on here, so I added 3 SS games. Should be easier than average points.

Mega Man (any): 2

What is there to say? Harder than average, but faster than average points. Up to it?

Sonic 1: 1
Sonic 2: 2
Sonic 3: 2
Sonic & Knuckles: 2
S3&K Final Ending: 2
Sonic Adventure: 3

Pretty simple. Obviously Chaos Emeralds are rewarded.

Star Fox 64: 1 + 1 for all planets cleared (Double on expert mode)
Banjo-Kazooie: 4
Goldeneye: 1 x difficulty (3 for 00 Agent)

The general 64 lineup. Kazooie's points are obviously slow but easy.

MGS (any): 3
RE (any): 2 (RE4 is 3)

The general PS1 lineup... I decided not to list Tomb Raider.

Devil May Cry: 3 (5 Hard, 7 DMD)
Prince of Persia: 3
Beyond Good & Evil: 3
Splinter Cell: 3
Ico: 3
SotC: 3
Katamari Damacy: 1

Our last generation's general lineup. Nothing too crazy, though DMD is a jackpot obviously.

Ninja Gaiden: 4 (7 for Black)
Metal Slug (any): 1
Battletoads: 3
Contra III: 3
Gunstar Heroes: 2
Sin & Punishment: 2
Viewtiful Joe: 1 x difficulty (4 for Ultra-V)
Ikaruga: 4

The hard crew. Lots of points here, for those with the skill to get them.

Half Life: 3
Half Life 2: 4 (Episodes are 2 more)
Portal: 1

Rounds us out with FPS and PC representation.

Well? Did I miss anything, or do you disagree on some of the point values? Or just ready to play?

Echo

Smash Champion
no megaman speedruns?! :O

lol I do wish I could get in on some of this though, just for going through Metroid/Super Metroid again...

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Cake obviously. Well, for if you beat portal.
I dunno, I was thinking about that. Maybe we could do it like a smash tournament where you pay to enter.

Also, Anyone who wants to smash, you can come over now. Post if your gonna come though.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Lol, I'm physically at a breaking point and still have 3 exams and 2 projects to go. The notion of me playing smash, much less having a smashfest, is laughable at best... Mark my words, from typing this, I will be dead asleep within 5 minutes.

EDIT: Wed. night is a possibility though... my last exam late Thursday can take care of itself.

EDIT2: I forgot to curse Wash U and their ever-late schedule. Curse you, Wash U.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
geno u gotta have a smashfest wednesday cause zig will be back and i also ran into that DK player from columbia, and he is in town for a month so he'll come...and cups from KC is gonna be in st louis as well

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I vote Wednesday as well; I will be picking up some stuff from another house in Ladue and I can stop by afterwards. (I may need a controller)

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Lol, well it looks like I have to throw a smashfest then (since no one else every does..). Wednesday it is, come around 3ish. We'll need a bunch of setups since it seems like everyone is gonna come.

Also Sam, you have to get those guys to come!! Especially Cups since that will most likely make Random come. Tell them ASAP if you can.

Also, where did you run into that DK player?

SamDvds

Smash Ace
at the galleria, he came into my job at FYE. he says hell be in town for about a month

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Also, so I don't forget...

List of games Thinkaman wants Geno to play:
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Twilight Princess
3. Super Metroid
4. Metroid Prime
5. Pikmin

List of games Geno wants Thinkaman to play:
1. Lufia
2. Lufia
3. Lufia
4. Star Ocean 2
5. Lufia

List of games that if we don't play Sam is blowing up Japan:
1. Earthbound
2. ...
3. Tales of Symphonia?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
List of games that if we don't play Sam is blowing up Japan:
1. Earthbound
People shouldn't need threats to play Earthbound. Also, download the OST from Mother/Earthbound 0 and listen to it repeatedly. Then you can start singing along with the alt music on Onett like all the cool kids do.

...wtf am I doing in the St. Louis thread?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Guess I'll be there too. I need an address though
You're gonna come from carbondale to st.louis?

Also, now that spaceballs has posted in this thread, we might as well close it. Nothing will be the same from now on.

PS: Im in a mall in Milwaukee right now. Dont ever go from Erie, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Chicago again, then back to St.Louis unless you like 14 hour delays, late buses, laying on the ground forever, and walking around cities with everything you own and a big stuffed panda....unless you want discontent for the entire human species.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i think i just threw up in my mouth at the prospect of trying to beat zig with a low tier character... comon at least let me try with fox!!

...or shiek...

Top Bottom