• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not sure. What are you doing exactly when you hydrograb?
It's a hydrograb?

I don't see any grabbing going on. >:(

But, to hydrograb, I shield and press the C-Stick in the opposite direction I want to slide.

Kith

Smash Ace
My bad, it's a hydrojab lol. Typo :-P. I hydro jab by shell shifting, holding the control stick up (at like a 45 degree angle) towards the opponent, and hitting the c stick up (at the same angle) but away from the opponent.

Edit: Either today or tomorrow I'm going to make a video tutorial on how to do these techniques with squirtle. Hydrojab, Hydrograb, Hydroplaned upsmash, etc. I'll try to include true hydroplaning, but I don't use that very often. Hydrojabbing for me has the same affect, and for some reason I can't get my true hydroplaning to go anywhere near as far as my hydrojabs.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
True Hydro plane goes as far as hydrojabing

you can reverse hydro jab the same distance and reverse hydro grab

it
looks
really
cool whenn

you hydrograb to revers hydrograb

or

revers hydrograb to hydrograb

if one misses the other ususally hits.

we really need to work on our movement and tech chasing game as squirtle.

i recently found a way to dash at the opponent and then shell shift away BUT after the shell shift i pivot and and shield

So I am shielding and sliding away while facing the opponent.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Awesome Kith--it was helpful to show your actual controller movements as well.

Eljin

Smash Ace
how do u do the (reverse) hydroplane forward smash cuz I've been doing it almost like a hydrograb i just tap z with it nd i've been sliding across the stage smashing foxes all day now... but 4 sum reason i cant get the hyrdograb down 4 ****... sum help plz.

Kith

Smash Ace
Like I showed in the video. Shell shift, and as you're coming out, hold the control stick forward (The direction you're coming out of the shell), and then hold R (or L) and hit the C-stick in the opposite direction. It has to be pretty quick, so check my video for the timing.

Eljin

Smash Ace
ohh the r or l... thx Kith. nd have ppl been doin the reverse hydroplane f smash the way i mentioned in the previous post??? if not its a whole lot easier 2 do that way nd u get max distance like 70% of the time.

Kith

Smash Ace
Np :-). I don't do Hydroplaned f-smash very often. I don't feel it's very safe. It may be a good mix up every now and then, but if they shield it, you're gonna get punished. Hydrograbbing is nice because even if you miss, you've slid away to safety lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
We need to walk more with Squirtle. His walk is still quite fast, and it's easy to throw up a shield.

Just another tool to make our little turtle more unpredictable.

Toby.

Smash Master
For some reason my squirtle usually survives a really long time in teams. I've been sitting on around 180-200% quite a few times on my first stock.

I guess it's because the confusion generally makes it easier for us to get in chip damage and escape under the cover of our partner. Squirtle is pretty hard to keep track of in singles, let alone doubles.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah, i experience the same thing too. and having people chase after you just because you are a tiny turtle living to ridiculous percents means your partner should find openings to hit them as well.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
For some reason my squirtle usually survives a really long time in teams. I've been sitting on around 180-200% quite a few times on my first stock.

I guess it's because the confusion generally makes it easier for us to get in chip damage and escape under the cover of our partner. Squirtle is pretty hard to keep track of in singles, let alone doubles.
I've been finding this true a lot lately, too. It's not unusual for Squirtle to almost stock tank, even though that doesn't make sense. XD

Kith

Smash Ace
lol its true. My Squirtle usually lives the longest out of the three Pokemon in teams. It's so hard to find him in the midst of battle

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
<--did not read this whole thread

but if this hasnt been said yet

did you know you can still hydroplane off of a shell shift stall?

nice little mind game to throw in and I've caught alot of people trying to catch me doing a regular hydroplane with a smash so when I stall it they are left wide open

Kith

Smash Ace

nice little mind game to throw in and I've caught alot of people trying to catch me doing a regular hydroplane with a smash so when I stall it they are left wide open
I'm a little late, but I did not know this. I'm incorporating this and I love it. Shellstalled Hydrograb, hydrojab, and downsmash are awesome

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Wow i gotta try that and it sounds like a vid for it should be made. This could lead to great mindgames and also connect real well if they are beginning to predict our shellshifting to much. They predict us sliding in, we shell shift stall, they wiff the attack and get punished.

I like it!

Buuda

Smash Apprentice

SAY WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I MUST TRY THIS!
Now that I think about it, it makes sense, too! I use a LOT of hydroplaning (not to the point of ineffectiveness; I think I've balanced it with all of my other techniques to the point that I maximize effectiveness) so this would be incredible. Now that I think about it, you still do sling-shot back out of a stall.... must try.

Kith

Smash Ace
I looove this so much lol. I'm going to make a vid as soon as i finish this game of Age of Empires lol

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
OMg it works. Make vid please! <3

The only problem I noticed is that the hydroplane f-smash (facing forward) doesn't go very far (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but if you can make it far, it's nigh impossible) and you can't do true hydroplane, as far as I can tell. Otherwise, the grab, d-smash, and u-smash and facing-backwards f-smash are very good. My favs are probably d-smash and grab, but those were already my favorites anyhow. lol.(:

Oh, and in regards to some earlier posts, I've had Skuartul live to 258% in teams. 0_0;
Like, I almost always live well into the 100s, he's GREATIn doubles.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Not true.

Their roles change and switching changes. For example I will often switch to Squirtle at high percents because he is better at not getting hit than Zard in teams.

And Ivy and Zard can score a lot of kill in teams. Flamethrower and Bulletseed are also amazing team combo tools.

And Rocksmash, dear god rocksmash.

It is always delightful.

T-block

B2B TST
I used to really like Ivy in teams, but I don't anymore (she's still better in teams than singles imo). Charizard, on the other hand, I still love in doubles, especially on stages with more space. His large size can really suck in doubles, but he hits hard, and has the dash speed to get to your partner to help out if needed.... and there's Flamethrower and Rock Smash as Miles mentioned.

Kith

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vzwNWUZWA

P.S. I love Ivysaur in teams. With Pokemon Trainer, you really have to sit down with your partner and talk about each Pokemon's role. In my team, when Squirtle is out, he's the aggressor. Ivy is the punisher. Charizard is either the punisher, or the down-b..er lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Thanks for uploading the vid, Kith.

Ivysaur is my designated down B spammer in teams.

Top Bottom