• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I think if you use hydrograb too much, it's relatively easy to counter. It's hard to beat footstool gimps out of it, though.

Also, Squirtle's ftilt cancels out Ganon's fsmash. I lol'd so hard.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
I think if you use hydrograb too much, it's relatively easy to counter. It's hard to beat footstool gimps out of it, though.

Also, Squirtle's ftilt cancels out Ganon's fsmash. I lol'd so hard.
Didn't test it but heard that Falcons Jab cancels out his Pauwnch.

Toby.

Smash Master
Hydrograb is only telegraphed if you allow it to be. If you mix up what you're doing out of pivots its not going to be obvious that you're going for the grab. Squirtle has a pivot option for any countermeasure the opponent can come up with...so if you take advantage of that I don't think people will predict the grab unless you let them.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I think im going to use nair alot more now, it has the ability to combo like fair and bair, but doesnt have any landing lag

Guess ill have to start trying it out in friendlies

if i ever finish all my homework i have

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I think im going to use nair alot more now, it has the ability to combo like fair and bair, but doesnt have any landing lag

Guess ill have to start trying it out in friendlies

if i ever finish all my homework i have
YES! Magik I was waiting for someone to say this....n-air is an awesome and really interesting move. Its great for knocking people off BF platforms to set up jab locks even when they shield. Also the move itself really has no landing lag so following up with a jab or f-tilt if they get knocked too far away is amazing!!!

Magik teach me how to hydrograb gimp.....I always screw it up and get footstooled, but I know you told me I have to hold away and mash jump. Maybe I jus need more practice

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
As you're doing a shell pivot you press shield and the opposite direction you're going on the c-stick. The timing seems fairly specific because if you don't nail it correctly he'll come out of his shell and do a pivot grab instead rather than slide forward and grab.

Kith

Smash Ace
The two times I usually get a hydrograb are...

A) When someone is coming onto the stage from the ledge. Retreat while they're getting up and come back and grab them.

B) Predicting an airdodge to the ground

Those, at least I find, are the most useful for me. You just can't be too predictable with it though. Do it because you see the opportunity, not because you suddenly get the urge to slip and slide lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIa1FKyiTAs

I want to implement hydrojab fakeouts, just for the sake of looking cool XD

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wario can grab release Squirtle into a dash attack! It's totally pointless and not even worth it, but it gives us a guaranteed, unpunishable use for dash attack, yay.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
PX speaks the truth! It even does a whole 5 damage to us!

Kith, cool stuff. I love how annoying Squirtle can be. :p

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
If he can dash attack, can't he psuedo-gatling combo us at low percents?
Nope. Wario's dash attack has a lot of lag following it. At low percents, it'll just send Squirtle upwards a bit. By the time Wario can do anything, we'll have moved out of the way.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIa1FKyiTAs

I want to implement hydrojab fakeouts, just for the sake of looking cool XD
Is it me, or are you going greater distances than I originally thought possible?

Is this actually a true hydroplane, or are you just doing perfect hydrojabs?

I need to **** around with this.

Also, Chromeo is awesome.

Kith

Smash Ace
This is all out of hydrojabs. The momentum from the hydrojab carries over into the backwards crawl.

Asa

Smash Hero
when exactly are you supposed to initiate the crawl to get the maximum backwards movement?

Kith

Smash Ace
After you do the hydrojab, the faster you initiate the crawl, the farther back you go. You're basically taking that momentum that would be pushing you forward, and using it to move you backwards. Brawl physics lol

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Wow kith thats really interesting it looks like you managing to pull off delayed reverse shifts....but you are crawling so I dunno if those are actual reverse shifts.

Either way very very very interesting movement techs for squirtle.

God everytime I see this I think wow the only character in brawl who truly wavedashes....thanks god for squirtle otherwise I doubt id be playing this game

Vermy

Smash Champion
Great find, Kith.

Anyone else curious how Typh managed to bypass the censoring of a certain word? O_o

Kith

Smash Ace
I was doing that all day lol it's so good. Especially if someones on the ledge. It's such a safe mindgame

Top Bottom