• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
press up on the control stick or a jump button while you are trying to break out

and you can't break away during a pummel, else it's a ground break

squirtle can't force ground breaks because his pummel doesn't "combo" into itself, but i believe it comes close. so that's why you usually don't see air breaks.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Interesting. It's the first time I remember it happening to me, so I guess it's not something to be especially worried about.

Tell me though... do they have to press just at the exact MOMENT they break, or can they just hold up on the analog stick as they mash out?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you can press jump any time you are in a grab and you should air break if you don't break during a pummel.

Asa

Smash Hero
How many people use the hydrograb? Is it all that effective? I find that when I do it I always go flying past my opponent.

And if one is doing grab release ->jab->trip->re-grab, how many times should one repeat this? What I'm asking is, is it pushing one's luck to do it more than once? Or are the rewards worth the risk?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
hydrograb is really good, just learn the spacing and timing for it.

i don't think the second jab has even a decent trip rate. i don't bother with it. if you have godly reflexes and can respond to the visual/auditory cues, then cool. but it isn't really worth the risk of doing a second round of damage with pummels + two jabs for you to get grabbed or something.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
even with instant reflexes, you cannot get the third hit off as all jabs are frame traps and even 1 frame off allows a powershield

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
even with instant reflexes--
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now that I'm past a silly reference, I believe the idea behind these jabs is that you cannot buffer a move while in jab hitstun if the jab has set hitstun/knockback. So, the opponent must time their shield well to block the jab.

T-block

B2B TST
Something I haven't seen mentioned: d-throw mixups.

Everyone knows d-throw doesn't kill until around 130% on most opponents if they have good DI, but you can condition some people to struggle with Squirtle's ground release. If you notice they struggle with the control stick, as most people do, I toss out d-throw at like 90% if we're near the edge. If they're rotating the control stick, there's only like a quarter of the control stick's circle that would result in good DI by the opponent.

It's lulz on Ness and Lucas, since they're basically forced to attempt to break out in order to minimize the damage from the grab release chain. If they're at around 100% I usually d-throw at the second last grab in the chain (ie- I could fit in one more grab release to be at the edge of the stage). If they do end up being sent out horizontally, even if they don't die they're in vulnerable position for gimping.

I have a replay saved where I get d-throw kill at 60% and 80% I think.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Something I haven't seen mentioned: d-throw mixups.

Everyone knows d-throw doesn't kill until around 130% on most opponents if they have good DI, but you can condition some people to struggle with Squirtle's ground release. If you notice they struggle with the control stick, as most people do, I toss out d-throw at like 90% if we're near the edge. If they're rotating the control stick, there's only like a quarter of the control stick's circle that would result in good DI by the opponent.

It's lulz on Ness and Lucas, since they're basically forced to attempt to break out in order to minimize the damage from the grab release chain. If they're at around 100% I usually d-throw at the second last grab in the chain (ie- I could fit in one more grab release to be at the edge of the stage). If they do end up being sent out horizontally, even if they don't die they're in vulnerable position for gimping.

I have a replay saved where I get d-throw kill at 60% and 80% I think.
Squirtle has a grab-release chaingrab on Ness and Lucas?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i doubt it, squirtle's dash grab comes out on frame 8. so it's quick enough to get to ness in that 10 frame window but i don't think you have the range for it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's slightly bigger

but ness slides further away cuz he's lower to the ground or some bull**** like that

T-block

B2B TST
I have no idea...I don't have as much experience against Ness as I do against Lucas, but Lucas is definitely guaranteed. I CP Castle Siege against him all the time and force him to camp the platforms

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
squirtle's pummel doesn't force ground breaks though, only zard's does. i think squirtle's comes close to doing so, but it's still possible to jump break.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
squirtle's pummel doesn't force ground breaks though, only zard's does. i think squirtle's comes close to doing so, but it's still possible to jump break.
Ah, I see...well, whatever; I've never had trouble getting it to happen, so until someone perfects it, it should be okay.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah, i mean it's difficult to time a break in between squirtle's pummel so we are fine.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Any idea how many frames' leeway they have to break in-between pummels?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Does Squirtle have any characters he can 100% of the time get grab release to jab combos on, or is everyone able to shield the jabs with proper timing?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Does Squirtle have any characters he can 100% of the time get grab release to jab combos on, or is everyone able to shield the jabs with proper timing?
The only characters I've seen that can't be jabbed on combo release were Luigi and Sonic. MAYBE Ike.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ike definitely can't be jabbed.

technically everyone can shield the jab but there's a 1 frame window to do it, iirc.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think i confused myself

if they are in range for the jab, they will always be hit by it if you time it right. however, some characters slide too far. luigi, ike, etc.

however, it is possible to shield the second jab.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Hey guys... i think i found out something pretty useful:
If you aim water gun up when trying to gimp someone, the chances of gimping are higer... because the water pushes them to where the final shot (the one with the mor epushback) is gonna be, so they end up farther than if they would have benn hit by a normal water gun.... i have performed some gimps i shouldnt have done with the unangled version of water gun this way...
maybe its already known... but bringing this is helpfull cause i think there are a lot of PT players that dont angle water gun/dont know they can :p
So.. aim up water gun when you are gonna gimp and you will see the results :D

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Most Squirtle players actually do that already. But you're right, it'll push them farther.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
do you mean immediately angling the water gun up as soon as you release it, kinda like you should do with zard flamethrower to catch people trying to jump over it?

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
When you're gimping with WG, do you jump off the stage to do it and try and try to hit them before they start jumping back, or are you supposed to wait on the stage and WG when they're coming back. The first one seemed like the better option to me because it has a better pushback when their momentum isn't towards you but i just wnated to be sure.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
@Steeler: Yup, just angle it up when squirtle starts throwing water from who knows where.. you will see the results :)
@dre_89: Normally i just wait on the stage, that way is safer :)

WaywardLuca

Smash Rookie
I use shellshifting to fake an approach a lot, you can catch someone off guard just by running at them, switching directions, then coming straight back in. It's an easy way to get a dash attack, grab, or even an Up or Down smash in. And fastfalling is amazing.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
So here's a bit of random, most likely pointless, information that I discovered. I was playing as ZSS against a noobish trainer who actually spammed withdraw against me. I used ZSS' dsmash and surprisingly it actually did work against him (while withdrawing_. It didn't do any damage but it did paralyze.

Probably not very useful but whatever.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if anyone uses uncharged watergun. I know it's slower than most of his moves, but against a shieldgrab happy opponent could you SH then use uncharged WG just infront of them so the lingering water could prevent a grab?

Also, does uncharged WG punish spotdodgers?

T-block

B2B TST
I use it for lulz once in a while...it'll probably punish spot-dodgers, but they could probably just keep their shield up until the attack is done and then shield grab you.

Top Bottom