• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
Does anyone think that Squirtle dittos are a bit...lame? I would rather have a silent agreement that if both players blind pick squirtle, that they instead go to a Captain Falcon ditto.

Don't get me wrong Squirtle is my favorite but dittos are just a bit much. I'm having difficulty explaining myself right now.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Does anyone think that Squirtle dittos are a bit...lame? I would rather have a silent agreement that if both players blind pick squirtle, that they instead go to a Captain Falcon ditto.

Don't get me wrong Squirtle is my favorite but dittos are just a bit much. I'm having difficulty explaining myself right now.
I hate the ditto

but I wouldn't mind it if it was against someone better than me for learning purposes

Player -0

Smash Hero
I squirtle ditto'ed someone in RR at an SC tournament while back . It was pretty funny. Withdraw hit both Squirtles out of armor. It was pretty low level, the other Squirtle didn't know how to SS and I'm not confident with my movement.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Squirlte dittos are awesome, fact. Unless both players are amish, then it sucks.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Nope.

Edit: Stalemate.
I propose a compromise. Daftatt likes squirtle dittos, but daftatt is wrong. However, he is not obligated to admit this fact outside this post as a stipulation of the compromise

Last edited:

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
Did you two make that?
It cracks me up every time I see someone (mostly daft) post it here or squirtle discussions that pop up on r/ssbpm

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
You two inspired me - I turned to my trusty friend MS Paint and designed a Squirtle using the highest of technologies. This took me weeks of work, I hope you can appreciate it.

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
What do you guys use for shield pressure. For example, when I withdraw into a shield, I'll usual shffl uair, d-tilt, into some kind of attack.

Last edited:

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
I use that. Another good one is d-air, because if you started facing them you can move over behind them as the dair hits their shield to avoid the shieldgrab.

Sir Skaro

Smash Apprentice
So, remember the pseudo float cancels I discovered? Turns out you can do them on the platform on Green Hill Zone as well, without have to do a hydroplane. You can just waveland into it. After a little more experimenting, I was also able to get 3 nair hitboxes out in one hydroplane on Smashville. I feel like this is something only Mang0 could apply to his game.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So, remember the pseudo float cancels I discovered? Turns out you can do them on the platform on Green Hill Zone as well, without have to do a hydroplane. You can just waveland into it. After a little more experimenting, I was also able to get 3 nair hitboxes out in one hydroplane on Smashville. I feel like this is something only Mang0 could apply to his game.
Video plz

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
It's probably just me, but I have a really tough time against Mario no matter what character I play...

The Mario - Squirtle matchup shouldn't be too lopsided though. I typically have a hard time dealing with his CC options and Dair, as it seems to completely out-prioritize all of Squirtle's options besides UpSmash lol. His fireballs/pills can be a pain, and you'll have to apply different strategies to deal with them depending on how he's throwing them out. I'm not the best person to ask though since I still struggle pretty hard in general against Mario.

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
fireballs don't beat withdraw but they limit my movements with my shellshifts and stuff. My main problem is edge-guarding mario. His up-b goes through everything that squirtle has.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
With every character in this game, you have to respect mario at all times. His recovery has invincibility for I believe 7 frames during startup, his fireballs are literally the best projectile in the game right now, his dair is disjointed past his feet, one grab can mean death, especially since Squirtle is easily comboed, his CC down smash is also incredible. You constantly have to keep your space, and I don't believe it's worth doing any Squirtle tricks in the MU, you're better off playing smart and Amish unless you know your tricks will get around fireballs. Bair is probably the best move to use in most situations, and spacing water gun/bubble is also really good, but the MU is still very tough.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Against Mario, watergun is good vs fireballs and so is shellsling bair as it goes through fireballs.
gimping is a bit difficult but once you get the timing of nair correct it gets better.
recovery is a pain due to cape
I think this MU justifies the use of hydropivot/crawl -> dsmash or hydroplane usmash as mario likes to jump a lot. allows for some very easy punishes as you catch him as he falls down.
does mario really have invincibility? thats ridiculous if so

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I always had this feeling that Mario's Dair was disjointed. How are you ever supposed to know that, the PMDT should at least make it apparent somehow within the animation. The 7 frames of invincibility on his UpB also explains why I fail to Nair through his recovery attempts 9 times out of 10. At least on that one occasion it was always enough to kill him but still, Mario's recovery is super easy mode...

If you guys can't tell, whenever Mario gets brought up I get super salty. Him and Roy both. It doesn't help that more than half of the WA player base use those two characters...

Player -0

Smash Hero
Roy isn't that bad. Mario though...

If you come by the tier list speculation every 10 years there are pictures of hitboxes.

And my goodness are they huge.

That's what she sai-

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Obviously if someone gets hit by it over and over again they'll be more than likely to research the move itself. Not trying to say one has to be in the PMDT to learn about this stuff. I'm just not one to go shifting through frame data all too often though, as I prefer to learn as I play. From what I've gathered playing and spectating against Mario's is that Dair comes out quickly, has strong priority, low endlag so one can even waveland after using it, and somewhat negligible landing lag. That's just from my personal experience though and I hope it isn't that good of a move...

Top Bottom