• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
What is this "shellectric slide"?
super crawl, or whatever.
Yeah, Water Gun just doesnt do it. It doesnt actually push anything. Squirtle needs something to replace it :I
Watergun is OP, take their stocks at gunpoint, what are they gonna do bout it? The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a turtle with a gun.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
super crawl, or whatever.

Watergun is OP, take their stocks at gunpoint, what are they gonna do bout it? The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a turtle with a gun.
Do you think we could convince the PMBR to have Squirtle pull out an actual water gun?

That fires lasers? 8D

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
You want people to actually fear squirtle, make uncharged water gun land cancelable :D

Seriously though, people should stop sleeping on squirtle. I just went farther than I ever have before in a tournament screwing around with my sub par squirtle. I've decided to start taking my games and practice with him more seriously from now on.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You want people to actually fear squirtle, make uncharged water gun land cancelable :D

Seriously though, people should stop sleeping on squirtle. I just went farther than I ever have before in a tournament screwing around with my sub par squirtle. I've decided to start taking my games and practice with him more seriously from now on.
I had my first tournament ever yesterday. I lost all but one set in pools, but I took everymatch down to the last stock other than like two or three. I think I did pretty well for someone who's never played against people that actually had skill in P:M xP

But real talk tho, Water gun needs more knockback or something, everytime I use it people just walk through it or it just stops them for a second before they're right back at me.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
In all seriousness water gun is pretty good as is it's just hard to know when to use it. I love water gun.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I had my first tournament ever yesterday. I lost all but one set in pools, but I took everymatch down to the last stock other than like two or three. I think I did pretty well for someone who's never played against people that actually had skill in P:M xP

But real talk tho, Water gun needs more knockback or something, everytime I use it people just walk through it or it just stops them for a second before they're right back at me.
The trick to watergun is to use it close enough to get hitstun on the opponent, thereby throwing them off. I use it when someone comes offstage to edgeguard me, blast them in the face and they have to return back to stage or risk a stock. Or when they are waiting above ledge onstage, you can fall past them and watergun them and immediately waterfall, It's a great mixup to allow yourself a safer recovery by throwing your opponent's groove off.

Watergun on stage is mostly an approach tool, not a defensive one, being that squirtle should be flying towards them in the air, they are expecting an aerial to be thrown out, say a marth is my opponent, so he may just F-smash, but I surprise him and watergun, the water hits him much sooner that he was expecting any squirtle aerial to be in range, I then land next to him and grab.

Watergun's distant "push" is only useful in a few situations, such as when a link is trying to bomb jump, you can watergun his bomb away.

Last edited:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I only use fully charged water gun as a means to help my recovery, I don't see much of a use for it physically

Uncharged water gun tho, the possibilities are endless

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I use water gun to clean off my doubles partner if he gets dirty
Squirtle is so damn good in doubles. Also if your partner is about to get gimped you can shell-sling off the stage and waterfall scoops him back to safety.

didds

Smash Lord
Squirtle is so damn good in doubles. Also if your partner is about to get gimped you can shell-sling off the stage and waterfall scoops him back to safety.
I also like helping with uairs if they're farther out.

I also find that Squirtle is probably one of the better characters to be stuck in a 1 v 2 situation. Good time to be small, quick, and pokey.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Water Gun is quite possibly my favorite move as Squirtle. It's preeeeeetty good...

condorspirecondorspirecondorspire

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Fully charged watergun actually has a couple good offensive uses. You just can't use it all willy nilly due to the long start-up

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
F tilt is easily my favorite squirtle move.

waveland in > F tilt always catches them off guard.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Uncharged Water Gun has solid frame advantage and doesn't push people away when they're hit.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
F-Tilt is probably a better move.

That said, I wish crouch canceling didn't do such a number on Squirtle's ground pokes.

didds

Smash Lord
can repeated ftilts interrupt crouch cancelling or is it pretty much just about picking a better option like bubble or grab?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's about picking another option. I'm not sure what percent it is that F-Tilt starts beating CC, but it isn't early.

didds

Smash Lord
yea I can't imagine it would be, I usually just try to alternate between ss'ing sh bubbles, dsmashes, and grabs, and then try waveland approaches with the downsmash and grab if they get used to the ss approaches.

I need to work on water gun though since you attest to its wonder and you wouldn't lead me astray.

or would you..

didds

Smash Lord
crawl attack is amazing, Squirtle is great.

I just don't see how you couldn't enjoy using the little bugger

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I need to work on water gun though since you attest to its wonder and you wouldn't lead me astray.

or would you..
I would not! Disrupting an opponent's movement is one of the best ways to find a way in. They have to react to the hit as well as the sudden end of the movement option they were doing. That can be daunting for a number of characters. Pretty good to put things at a quick standstill in neutral.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Start using, I will

Thank you oh great Reflex.

By the way, your boy fatality crushed me when he was in MN recently.

Correct me if he isn't actually your boy lol

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I love using Squirtle, I've just preferred using Wario in tournament lately. I perform so much better in friendlies with Squirtle, since I don't have to care about suicides.

I just like having 4 stocks in tournament

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
F-Tilt is probably a better move.

That said, I wish crouch canceling didn't do such a number on Squirtle's ground pokes.
Yomi Level 3. The opponent is likely to crouch cancel, punish their predictability to counter squirtle's most glaring flaw. Hydro-grab can punish only but the smallest of ending lag on moves

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hydrograb comes out in something like 30 frames. ~10 frames of initial dash, ~15 frames of shellshift. The best defense (offense?) is often a projectile or a regular grab.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Hydrograb comes out in something like 30 frames. ~10 frames of initial dash, ~15 frames of shellshift. The best defense (offense?) is often a projectile or a regular grab.
Yes, I suppose it's certainly not a direct counter to CC. However if you bait out an attack as you go into shellshift, then you're in the money, not that that's new information.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Personally, UpAir is my favorite move of Squirtles. At low percents if you can get them above you they're in for a world of pain. At mid - higher percents falling UpAir is a great combo starter, and on spacies you can just keep on going and going and going till they finally DI far enough away for you to just dash attack them off the stage for the kill (or be fancy and crawl attack to pop them up for another UpAir lol).

I really need to get use to his Dair though. KGB at this last GamesClucks I went to used it pretty effectively when I played against him, and I can see the potential uses, I'm just worried about CC and how it just doesn't work on some characters.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Why are you worried about CC with Squirtles dair? The last hit sends straight up and is strong. If they cc it, dont land early and weave away so you can move away from them as soon as the last hit gets them. If anything, it's a move I use to punish CC.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Why are you worried about CC with Squirtles dair? The last hit sends straight up and is strong. If they cc it, dont land early and weave away so you can move away from them as soon as the last hit gets them. If anything, it's a move I use to punish CC.
That's good to know. I always feared that the last hit wouldn't be strong enough to knock them down/up if they were CCing. Of course them taking all the damage from the Dair would be a bonus, but I thought it would always lead to a punish. I still won't be using it anytime soon on shorter characters though.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Dair is the best move
It's just Squirtle spinning in the air like he jus don't care
Dair's hits can be punish though with something like shine I'm sure.
Shine reks Lucas' nair :(

Top Bottom