• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
From what I tested earlier, falling UpAir cannot be CC'd at like 49% on Wolf, 51-52% on Fox, and 53-54% on Falco if I remember correctly. It causes a knockdown which you can then tech chase them into oblivion. If they don't CC the UpAir well... you just combo them into death.

Also, crouch and force them to approach lol.

I got mixed up: 49% for Fox, 51% for Falco, 53% for Wolf

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Also dtilt. And maybe try hydrodsmash instead, way harder to cc that on reaction

Jamwa

Smash Champion
dtilt crouch cancellable until like 110% something. the people i vs CC everything :(((((
thanks for the uair info though, sounds interesting

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
They aren't going to feel good about their strategy after they CC a hydroplane fsmash, and if they are able to get any sort of punish off you might not feel it either thanks to the armor, so maybe give that a try. I'd also try a well spaced watergun, grab/grab mixups, bubbles, and a well spaced dair at later percents (careful with this one, it can work against CCers but you have to space and time really well and is somewhat percentage/character dependant)

I feel that you can get a lot off the spacies once you knock them down if you are really smart and quick about your techchase game. They get knocked down so quickly and your ground movement can be so good that you can often reach them by reaction rather than needing a read.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
They aren't going to feel good about their strategy after they CC a hydroplane fsmash, and if they are able to get any sort of punish off you might not feel it either thanks to the armor, so maybe give that a try. I'd also try a well spaced watergun, grab/grab mixups, bubbles, and a well spaced dair at later percents (careful with this one, it can work against CCers but you have to space and time really well and is somewhat percentage/character dependant)

I feel that you can get a lot off the spacies once you knock them down if you are really smart and quick about your techchase game. They get knocked down so quickly and your ground movement can be so good that you can often reach them by reaction rather than needing a read.
It's just getting in that's the hard part I find. Water gun and B-reversed + SShifted bubbles is my favourite approach. Grabs and shorthops are pretty much pointless vs falco cos of lasers. hydroplaned fsmash is so hard to land because flaco likes to jump and its just eh, i dunno. I try it and it works sometimes, but other times i'll get lasered before it comes out or dair'd and just take more %. I was wondering more about playstyle and approach game vs falco/fox. fox not that bad because you can stop his dash dances and nairs with water gun but falco just sits outside of water gun range and camps.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
so I was practicing Dair-grab (like drill-grab), then I realized, there is a MUCH MUCH better option from Air to grab.
Watergun into grab is the truth, so majestic, so safe, so consistent. (you have to be flying at him as you watergun)

~Dad~

part time gay dad
so I was practicing Dair-grab (like drill-grab), then I realized, there is a MUCH MUCH better option from Air to grab.
Watergun into grab is the truth, so majestic, so safe, so consistent. (you have to be flying at him as you watergun)
Daftatt pls I thought this was already common knowledge.

DON'T LET ME DOWN DAFTATT

_Pixel_

Pink Squirtle is best Squirtle.
Ugg I'm still having trouble with this Ganon matchup. Wombat offered some solid advice on reddit for this, but I just can't seem to figure him out.

Even when I know he is going to throw Fair, Dtilt, Fair, Dtilt, etc I can't do anything about it. It pisses me off that it is considered an easy matchup because to an evenly skilled player, his Ganon can two stock me.

Thoughts guys? What's the strategy against Ganon? What do you go for?

YouTube IDs, because I've had this account for over 8 years with little to no posts.

7iBOr274c0k Long video. I was really having trouble with the match that started at 11:25.
VOZEbu1QIHg Video is kind of old. I've gotten better since I've been playing every day.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Ugg I'm still having trouble with this Ganon matchup. Wombat offered some solid advice on reddit for this, but I just can't seem to figure him out.

Even when I know he is going to throw Fair, Dtilt, Fair, Dtilt, etc I can't do anything about it. It pisses me off that it is considered an easy matchup because to an evenly skilled player, his Ganon can two stock me.

Thoughts guys? What's the strategy against Ganon? What do you go for?

YouTube IDs, because I've had this account for over 8 years with little to no posts.

7iBOr274c0k Long video. I was really having trouble with the match that started at 11:25.
VOZEbu1QIHg Video is kind of old. I've gotten better since I've been playing every day.
Ganon has absolutely no OoS options, and Bubble can be safely used against him due to his slow horizontal speed
basically just disrespect the character and go all out and he wont be able to hit you provided you know how to safely shield pressure

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Ganon has absolutely no OoS options, and Bubble can be safely used against him due to his slow horizontal speed
basically just disrespect the character and go all out and he wont be able to hit you provided you know how to safely shield pressure
also, wavedash backwards when he is throwing out an attack, or bait out an attack with shellshift then hydrograb the endlag.
Yeah, but what jamwa said about bubble, it's very good against him, it knocks him right out of gannonkick.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Ganon matchup is our favor. You can basically just avoid being hit the entire match, especially if you're on a bigger stage. Like Daftatt said, wavedash back will let you avoid most of his moves, and then you can punish most anything he throws out.

If he actually hits you though you pretty much just die lol.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
In about 2 hours, me and my good friend Dookdiggity should be streaming our practice session in crisp 1080p. He's learning Roy atm so I might be able to help give some insight on the MU. I'll post a link here right before we go live.

_Pixel_

If he actually hits you though you pretty much just die lol.
Yeah that is honestly my biggest issue, getting hit! It's so much pressure when one or two hits means a stock gone.

I need to work on my mindgames because I throw bubble out like a mofo to the point that it's predictable on Ganon. I need to work on mixing it up and getting some grabs on him.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
@ Oro?! Oro?! Won Wavedash Wednesday yesterday, and he used Squirtle a bit, I'll post the videos in the video thread when I get a chance
lol, oro's squirtle, that's adorable. It would be cool to see oro invest the time to learn his tech

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Since nothing else is happening...

What if Squirtle's water gun was replaced with a move where he took his shell off and held it like a green shell

Cuz wynaut

_Pixel_

I thought we were just learning that water gun is a really cool move that should be used more often >.>

A projectile would be cool, but I feel that Squirtle with the hard armor has enough approach options. It's all about finding the opening.

Also Wynaut

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
And green shell, which is like one of the best items in the game even when you can't just pull them out at will lmao
Nonono
Squirtle pulls off his own shell, it just acts like a green shell when thrown
And would have cooldown

Top Bottom