• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Squad (General Disc.)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Has anyone messed around with falling uair? Towards the end of the attack, when his tail is behind him, it still has a hitbox that sends the opponent upward, but it doesn't seem as strong, which could lead to more follow ups, even at higher percents

And if you cross them up with it, or space it as well as possible, it seems pretty safe on block

cmart

Smash Lord
On a more realistic note, @ cmart cmart

withdraw's turnaround is pretty controversial given that players often abuse the move and just stay inside withdraw, leading to a general misunderstanding of how to utilize squirtle's amazing movement.

If squirtle went into shellshift instead of the withdraw turnaround animation (thereby kicking them out of withdraw when they tried to turn), now THAT would be amazing. Using the move everyone spams to teach players about his true neutral game and probably force them to stumble across some advance techniques as well. They would wonder what happened, experiment, maybe even come onto the boards and we'd have an actual 10+ person squirtle community :love:

Also, maybe make the armor on withdraw wear off the longer you're in it, kind of a reverse of wario's side-b

10,000 pls
100,000 pls
1,000,000 pls
We've actually already tried that and it was a million times worse. You want to see a character that never dashes or wavedashes? It's one with an armored moving special they can cancel at any time with a pivot (which is further cancelable by a jump). So long story short.... NO

~Dad~

part time gay dad
We've actually already tried that and it was a million times worse. You want to see a character that never dashes or wavedashes? It's one with an armored moving special they can cancel at any time with a pivot (which is further cancelable by a jump). So long story short.... NO
That sounds amazing.

Only for us though, terribad for everyone else. :D

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Will the weird glitch where Squirtle spazms back and forth before throwing himself off the ledge if you turn around too close to it be fixed?

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Oh god my idea was so terrible :c

Soz I managed to get a recording.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=1OAZG1R4m5E

I managed to make it happen at the 0:17 mark. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I know it's not exclusive to green hill either <.>
I've had that happen to me lots of times. No idea causes it.

Last edited:

Sir Skaro

Smash Apprentice
We've actually already tried that and it was a million times worse.

cmart, have you ever changed Squirtle's up air's hitboxes to be more like C. Falcon's or Mario's? If how, how did that fair? Up air is already pretty good, but I feel an aerial that hits at a 45 degree angle up and away would be more helpful than one that only hits at a 90 degree.

I understand that windmill combos with Squirtle could prove to be OP, but I'm very curious.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
cmart, have you ever changed Squirtle's up air's hitboxes to be more like C. Falcon's or Mario's? If how, how did that fair? Up air is already pretty good, but I feel an aerial that hits at a 45 degree angle up and away would be more helpful than one that only hits at a 90 degree.

I understand that windmill combos with Squirtle could prove to be OP, but I'm very curious.
It's kind of unique though right? Mario and Diddy already got a windmill one, and Diddy also in early builds apparently had Falco/Fox's Nair so it seems good to let them have their respective Brawl moves. Reflex kind of shows its still Brawl'like chaining. Also there was another good Brawl Squirtle I forget the name of

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I forgot to ask this cause I got distracted by SKTAR 3 (Dat highlight video is the hypest thing ever), but how would all of you personally describe the way you play squirtle?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Aggressively stupid and out of control

But I'm trying to change that. I could never give matchup advice because all I ever did was go balls to the wall crazy and hope my opponent has no idea what's going on lmao

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Waterfall Kills are the TRUTH
at 1:40 and 2:55 I ride delicious waterfalls to the heavens

@ Sir Skaro Sir Skaro up-air is absolutely amazing right now IMO, shouldn't be changed

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I usually go for Down Tilt or Crawl attack out of Up-Throw now unless they're floaty/high percent. Thoughts?
I prefer up-tilt, it allows for easy regrabs nomatter how they DI. It's a low percent combo, or mid percents against floaties. D-tilt can be CCd as soon as the opponent touches the ground, whereas up-tilt prevents them from doing so even if they SDI downwards, however d-tilt and crawl attack are susceptible to this.

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
Chances to use Nair? I'm fairly new to squirtle and Project M as a whole and while I am improving I think that the least used move I use is Squirtle's Nair. It just doesn't seems very great to me (which may just be due to a lack of experience). I was wondering what are some ways in which you can use it and any more details on the matter, thanks! Videos would be an added bonus :3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I use it off the ledge to edgeguard recoveries that come from below, like Marth, the armor usually stops you from getting stage spiked too.

I also like ending combos at lower percents with it, since it keeps them close to you

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Hm, maybe I'll start one sometime. It would certainly be a faster way to discuss things

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Hey guys. :p I see a lot of familiar faces here. XD

I'm wondering, what is the generally agreed upon best version of Squirtle? Did he have anything notable in previous versions (i.e. like Charizard's 2.5 infinite glide) that has since been taken out? I'm making a custom version of P:M with the best versions of all characters in it. Thanks again!

Burnsy

Smash Lord
That's a hard call between 3.0 and 2.6 imo.

3.0 had some physics changes on side-b that gave him better recovery, but it made the "divekick" use of the move easier to react to. In 3.0 they also reduced his initial dash length, so shellshift can be started sooner.

On the other hand, down smash was hilariously broken in 2.6 though, so there's that.

Overall, I guess I'd personally lean towards 2.6 being the best, unless there's another big change im not considering. That old dsmash was just Godlike.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I think I like 2.6 too by that description, lol. :p Thanks a lot!

2.6 it is, unless someone thinks 3.0 is better?
Well I would definitely say that 3.0 is a better designed character than 2.6/2.5, even though D-smash was STUPID prior to 3.0 the physics change to w/draw is really really big, it allows him to recover above the opponent safely, so as far as viability goes I say 3.0 is better overall.

I gotta play the new build and I have to say I really like the direction he is being taken as a character, and of course that's all I'll say.

Also we definitely should get on that Squirtle Squad skype meeting.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
NO idea what a google hangout is lol
It's better than skype for larger video meetings. I suggest you make an account (or if you have Gmail, you should be all set)

Also I could push my capture card to my video during the video hangout, so I could do stuff in P:M while we talk about it.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
It's better than skype for larger video meetings. I suggest you make an account (or if you have Gmail, you should be all set)

Also I could push my capture card to my video during the video hangout, so I could do stuff in P:M while we talk about it.
Plus there are sound effects. B)

Burnsy

Smash Lord
You can do direct feed video in Skype, too.

I don't use my google account for this kinda thing really but I'll join whatever ends up being made, whether its a Skype or Google group.

Top Bottom