• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I know you mentioned earlier that you couldn't come to our tourney, but we've had some big updates that we're hoping might get you guys to change your minds!

A.R.K. III (NOW featuring Justin Wong, Fubarduck, Lil Majin, and many more great players!) is coming up THIS SATURDAY in Conway, AR! We are expecting at least ~150 people with games such as Melee, Brawl, Project: M, SSF4, BB:CS, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and more! Players are coming in from at least California, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Arkansas!

Note that our tournament is now sponsored by Game On Apparel, Shadaloo.eu, Borderland Games, Broken Tier, and the Bat Cave, which will each be providing additional prizes and bonus pots for our tournaments. Also, well-known regional modder DaRabidDuckie will be on hand to provide dual mods (PS3 <-> 360) for fight sticks.

If you have ANY questions, please post on here or on the official tournament thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298654. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Yeah I definitely wish we could go =/ We didn't just change our minds or something simple like that though. We just don't have the vehicle or the money atm to do it.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Haha it's all good man. Next time right? Anyway hope you guys have a great weekend anyway. Even though I don't play Smash, I hope to meet you guys at a future event that brings the Smash community together with the other fighting game communities. Have fun!

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
So... It's a sincere possibility that I may be moving far out of region in approximately 4 and a half months. I've been wanting to learn game design and everything that goes with it, and it so happens that there's a course in FL that is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't know if this is certain yet, but it is an idea I'm keeping on the table.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
So... It's a sincere possibility that I may be moving far out of region in approximately 4 and a half months. I've been wanting to learn game design and everything that goes with it, and it so happens that there's a course in FL that is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't know if this is certain yet, but it is an idea I'm keeping on the table.
What school is it? If it's an "Art Institute" aka AI...stay far far away. If it's not, do massive research on it beforehand. Most "game design" schools are scams that cost insane amounts of money. Trust me, I know. In Oct 2004 I started at The Art Institutes of California @ San Francisco, under the "Game Art & Design" program. The school made several claims to be able to make it affordable, help me find part time jobs while in school, roommates to split costs with, "financial aid", post grad placement programs and ect. By the time February rolled around, not even 5 months later I was so broke I couldn't even pay the $5 round trip BART (bay area subway) costs. I had to leave the school and in just five months, accrued $18 grand in debt. It is an amount that I will almost certainly never pay off because the interest rates are so incredibly high on loans for private schools like those.

I will gladly sit down with you and go over the school and it's costs and programs if you like. Take it from someone that's been there. I also personally know several other people, even a couple of smashers, who attended the EXACT same school as me and ended up with just as much or more debt. ShadowCloud, Rubicon, and even Hella Nick from DBR.

In all honesty (and you can ask many industry professionals as well) the best way to get in to the game industry is with a programming degree from a legit, accredited school; a very nice portfolio of programs/designs/ect that you personally created, and in most cases a really good (or lucky) internship/externship.

And Nathan trust me, I'm not trying to burst your bubble or change your mind or anything. I'd like more than anything for you to become a successful game designer, even if it means moving out of state to go to a real college. And again, I don't know everything about every art school or game design program either, so if it's what you wanna do it's definitely worth the time to look in to it and research it. And by research, I don't mean call the school and ask them, because that's what I did and all I got was a bunch of lies and broken promises.. But yeah let's do some research on it together and see what the school is all about.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
I don't intend to jump into something like this without thorough research, because I'm afraid of exactly what you just outlined. There are so many factors I have to consider to know if this is even remotely feasible. And, I know that I want to do something relating to gaming, and in all honesty I would either write the stories and develop all that or play games on a professional level. But, it's good to know that someone knows a lot more about this than me, because moving that far away and discovering that it was all some sort of farce would leave me extremely high and dry without any way to return home. And I won't live out on the street in some place I don't understand if I can just come back.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I don't intend to jump into something like this without thorough research, because I'm afraid of exactly what you just outlined. There are so many factors I have to consider to know if this is even remotely feasible. And, I know that I want to do something relating to gaming, and in all honesty I would either write the stories and develop all that or play games on a professional level. But, it's good to know that someone knows a lot more about this than me, because moving that far away and discovering that it was all some sort of farce would leave me extremely high and dry without any way to return home. And I won't live out on the street in some place I don't understand if I can just come back.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.
No problem. For starts, what school is it?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
The only place I know of that I would consider legit for getting a game degree is DigiPen, but that's because they make you shed blood, sweat, and tears for it. Note that when you're going into game development, there is nearly a 100% chance that you will need to learn to program. If you don't know anything about programming, look into it and see if it's something you would enjoy. Your only way to avoid programming is to find people to do it for you, and that would then require A) money and B) good ideas that people like to hear. If you can make the game all yourself, then you don't need to rely on others liking the game idea, you can just throw it out there on your own. Another option is writing, but to do that you'd be best off just learning how to write story arcs and such in a real writing degree program. There may be cases that these basic rules don't apply to, but I think that I've covered the most common cases.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Oh, as for the original post, I do have a Smash YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/TerralSmash
I haven't put anything on there in ages, though. If I ever get a recording setup, I'll probably just upload to the main Pathways channel.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I don't even know what you mean. I don't listen to pop music, if that's what it's from. Please explain.

And who's the girl up top?
Lol I don't listen to pop music, the song is just a big joke. Basically a 13 year old tried to make a song and it just turned out hilariously bad (especially the video) and since April Fools happened to be on a Friday, which is the name of the song, people are using it for their jokes. I've even been seeing it on a few tv shows as an April fools joke thing.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Stalkin your mom stalk stalkin your mom.

I've been stalkin your mom for like two years straight
But I'm way too shy to ask her out on a date
So I just wait...in your neighbors lawn
With my camera ready, and my camouflage on.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I've been standing outside maintaining a clearance tent that feels like it's going to blow away, putting merchandise back as it flies all over the place, most likely getting a sunburn. I would much rather be playing Smash right now.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I've been standing outside maintaining a clearance tent that feels like it's going to blow away, putting merchandise back as it flies all over the place, most likely getting a sunburn. I would much rather be playing Smash right now.
Ooooh they got you on Sidewalk sales? That sucks =/ Sometimes it's nice though.

Text me if you can come over when you get off and we'll smash at my place.

CRITIQUES / AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT
I want to make a post like this maybe after every other smashfest or something, this is for every one to chip in on. Basically this is aimed to help us get better and point out things to each other that we can improve upon, or even pointing out things we did well.

Roman - It was a lot of fun playing you today and I think we both played pretty well. Your edgeguard was scary good, and it's honestly something I thought was a weakness of yours before today. I had to try really hard to stay on the stage and mix up my recoveries. Great job there. As far as improvement goes, work on consistency. All spacies generally have consistency issues because they require such a high degree of tech skill at all times. You have the same problem I have when I use fox (and falco to a lesser degree) and that's bursts of tech mixed in with bursts of bland slow play. My advice to you to improve this area is to not switch after every single match. Generally you will warm up and build consistency by staying. Even if it's just for two or three matches in a row. But for the most part you switch after every single match. It keeps me on my toes but my Marth was so warm for most of the day it had a worse effect on you. My general question is why? Do you get bored using the same character more than one match? Are you switching a lot because they're just friendlies? Is it experimentation? Whatever the answer is I think if you used fox for 3+ matches in a row you will see some vast improvement very quickly. If you were at a large tournament and didn't know the ppl you were playing and might play them in brackets, I could see not using your main for more than a match or two. But generally we are playing to make each other better and I think playing your main a LOT and your secondaries a little is best. Other than that, work on the up smash out of shield and out of shine the way I showed you and pick which ever way you're most consistent with. Your recovery needs to be more reliable also. You will f-b too high or too low too often. Up B at angles can be a nice way to mix it up, although I know it's hard against Marth. In teams, lets generally up smash my grabs at all times. As always, we both need to be very vocal. Let's also work more on designating top/bottom (high/low) edgeguards. Marth would typically be on top, since he would probably hit you if you were top. I like "You and the Cap'n can Make it Hap'n" for team name at Columbia.

Drew - Good games as well. Your Luigi is very nice and your tech skill is always getting better. The number one thing I think would help you improve is giving more effort. Most of the time when I'm playing you, I feel I'm not playing the 100% tryhard Drew. The truest way to improve is by playing in tournaments, and since we can't make every match a tournament match, we can substitute by treating our friendlies as tournament matches. Now this doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun, experiment, or get a little crazy. But a general focus and will to win would suffice. I know when I used to play Darkrain or Hugs or someone a lot better than me, it was easy to just go half throttle because I was going to lose anyways right? Well, the difference between you and me is a lot less than that. And playing better players is such a wonderful opportunity to get better, kick bad habits, and develop in to a stronger player, I wish I hadn't squandered many opportunities I had playing to lose. I'm not sure if it's because you're not 100% dedicated to being a great (or even improved) smasher, or if you have ADD lol. I mean this in a very nice way. What I'm saying is that I believe you're a far better player than I see most of the time. Friendlies between crew members are a great time to try your hardest, take them seriously, and get better while at the same time experimenting, finding out what works and what doesn't, and even getting some good use out of secondaries. Now as far as your characters go.; for Luigi you're doing well. Don't count his recovery out so easily though. Watch some Ka-Master matches and notice his creativity in recovering. He'll surprise you and recover from distances you wouldn't think possible. More combos and tricksies will help you a lot. Your Fox would benefit from a better overall grab game, tech speed, and spacing (mainly dance dashing). Pay attention to Romans edgeguard, it's very good. Your recovery can be better too. I know we were having some issues on the HD TV with sweet spotting and stuff like that so maybe that's why.

Nathan - You have improved a lot for someone that missed the last smashfest. Your Peach has good edgeguard and recovery, decent mindgames, and you're good at capitalizing on mistakes. However, I don't want you to rely too much on your opponent making the mistakes to begin with. Because of this you do need to develop more speed. I'm still not seeing very much float canceling from you and this is the no. 1 way for a peach main to get faster. Believe it or not her dance dash can be very good too. Dash Dance into float canceled neutrals can be dangerous. Your turnips are well thrown but can be used better for spacing and approaching. I don't want to see you approaching my Marths sword without a turnip flying at me at the same time. Work on some grab tricks too. Watching you vs Drew I noticed you like to dash attack shields. It's not gonna cut it in tournaments and you're going to eat a lot of up smash out of shield or up throws up airs from foxs. It's punishable by all chars though so mix it up a bit with some boost grabs...or again, float canceled neutral airs. Your down smashes are well used but be careful to not spam it too much. It CAN be punished, especially if it's telegraphed. It's such a good move it's like crack and you want to use it more....but usually less is best. I wouldn't mind seeing you use it more as an edgeguard though.

All in all it was a good smashfest and we continue to improve. My Marth is doing better chain grabbing spacies and I really focused on spacing today...even though it's still one of my major weaknesses.

I would love to see you guys post in here also and critique each other more (especially me!). It's a good method to get better. So hold nothing back and let's figure out what we're doing wrong.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
I... honestly don't feel like I'm at a level yet where I can critique. Although, I do like having a guideline for what to work on next. I do agree, I need to speed up my Peach a bit. I shall work on each of the points outlined above and come back a stronger Peach!

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Yeah Tempest, I played a good Peach from Columbia (Kellen) and adding a bit of speed to your Peach would do wonders. Playing Peach technically makes everything you do harder to predict and adds a lot of needed options.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Yeah Tempest, I played a good Peach from Columbia (Kellen) and adding a bit of speed to your Peach would do wonders. Playing Peach technically makes everything you do harder to predict and adds a lot of needed options.
Actually Tempest was taken out of the brackets at the last Pathways by Kellen. I think Nathan is vastly improved over then, but still needs some work probably before he can take Kellen.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I used to follow Athene and Furious a bit back when I had time to watch random YouTube videos. Now that I don't have time to watch random YouTube videos I have to watch less of them to make my problem more manageable.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
R.I.P old smashboards. Not too fond of the new look, the buttons are too big. Buttons don't need to be that big unless you're browsing on a touch screen tablet or something.

But oh well, I'll adjust eventually.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=299674
Registration is finally open guys. Fees will be collected at the door. However, we still need registering to be placed online. Hopefully we'll see a lot of you guys there.

Zant - as funny as it is, I JUST bought an Android tablet pc so this new skin is amazing for me lol
I don't mind the new look I guess...but I suppose it wouldn't make a difference to me one way or the other.

Ok I'm on my way to register.

As of right now I think Springfield is expecting to send 5 or 6 ppl...can't remember which lol. I think it's 5 though. Or maybe it's 5 plus the driver. I dunno Roman, care to clarify?

EDIT: Arkansas uploaded the crew battle. I'm sure there's more to come! :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/arbustoardiente#g/u

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Double Post

Okay for the people that don't read AiB, I'm picking Nathan up from work on Friday when I get off at 4pm and we're gonna smash at my house for a few hours. So anybody is welcomed to come as well.

Let's get this weekends smashfest figured out, when/where/what time is good for everyone?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Sadly it's a no go this weekend for me. I've been calling weekends off quite a bit to make room for tournaments and the one weekend I didn't call off, work slapped me in the face with weekend shifts and no weekdays. I'm free Thursday and Friday, but I'll be in Seymour :(

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Sadly it's a no go this weekend for me. I've been calling weekends off quite a bit to make room for tournaments and the one weekend I didn't call off, work slapped me in the face with weekend shifts and no weekdays. I'm free Thursday and Friday, but I'll be in Seymour :(
Damn you McDonalds! Lol just kidding.

Ok that sucks. I know for sure when my truck is legal we'll be able to split drives more but it's hard for me to take the car to Seymour without my wife having anything to drive the kids in if there's an emergency.

Does anybody know if Grant drives, and if he does...does he wanna drive us to Seymour on Friday lol?

If not, I guess we'll just do smash at my house Friday night. Nathan is already coming so does anybody else want to come too?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Damn you McDonalds! Lol just kidding.
Nah, it's owned under really really bad management. I only applied because no where else would hire a 16 year old student with no experience. If I was offered another job, I'd be out of that place quicker then you could say McDouble.

Speaking of which, I may be able to get a weekday only job in the near future. I know of a kid who got hired at this place and I'm pretty sure the kid won't last long, so I'm watching him to take him place :)

Ok that sucks. I know for sure when my truck is legal we'll be able to split drives more but it's hard for me to take the car to Seymour without my wife having anything to drive the kids in if there's an emergency.
I understand that completely.

Does anybody know if Grant drives, and if he does...does he wanna drive us to Seymour on Friday lol?
IIRC, Grant was picked up and dropped off at the last pathways. I don't remember discussing driving with him, so I have no idea, but my guess is no.

On a side note; I've actually burned a texture hacked copy of melee. They include textures from here and here. The melee copy is also hacked so you can use C-Stick for smash attacks and aerials in one player mode and selecting tournament mode brings you to the debug menu. Lots of fun :)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Did you include Project: B?
Not sure what Project: B is, but my guess is that it's a melee texture hack pack with the goal of making all characters look brawl like. If it's like that, no I don't think I'll add them. To me, I'm not a big fan of Brawl's art style. It looks good and all, but it doesn't have all the colors and brightness that melee seems to have. If I am wrong about what Project: B is, inform me. If you're just trolling me, well done.

Also, I'm learning much more about audio hacking. I'm wanting to take the Super Smash Bros. Melee - Smashing Live! OST and use their songs in the stages. For every other stage that isn't in Smashing Live, I'll try to find other orchestra covers and put them in. I ****ing love orchestra's when they do video game music :)

Top Bottom