• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Plairnkk said:
After weeks of trying to get money back/barter with the hotel I regretfully am faced with informing everybody that there is not going to be any prize money at this time from *Pound*. The hotel was rented out on a sliding scale of rooms rented and that would lower the cost of the venue. I got a really amazing place in a convenient location because we expected MORE entrants. We budgeted so we would be still fine with COMPARABLE entrants. However with over 100 entrants less for melee and like 60 less for brawl, being short those funds/hotel rooms really screwed everything. I'm taking a slight hit myself for even hosting the event.

I still held some hope even through the event the funds I collected in person would be enough to at least PARTIALLY pay people out and give them SOMETHING for their performance. However so many people cancelled their rooms or no-showed the weekend of the tournament that it dropped the room rental down below the threshhold and I got charged EVEN MORE (the money I planned on paying entrants).

The place was crazy expensive but everything would've been fine with a more expected turnout. This mixed with people cramming into rooms (I saw a ton of rooms with extra people in them. More people=less rooms rented=more money I have to pay to hotel=less prizes).

I had to rent out a certain # of rooms to fulfill my contract, and once I rented these rooms I tried to bribe people to get into these rooms for cheap and use that money to help fund the tournament.

With Pound 4 being so successful and the biggest downfall being the distance of travel between the hotel and the airports, and with the new venue being right next to an airport with the venue INSIDE the hotel, along with all the promotional deals, we expected such a larger number than what we got.

This is why there was no internet at the venue and why I went out and got my own PA system for 1/5 the price of the venue PA system. I knew coming into it that prizes were going to be tough and maybe smaller but the room cancellations the weekend of the venue was really the nail in the coffin. There were over 30 cancellations the last week and I had bought out the difference of rooms (had to because of my contract) and so even with the 90 rooms I was forced to purchase it still came up short and cost even more money.

I am at least glad everyone had a good time while they were there before I had to drop this bomb..... I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this. The event was overall just not successful at all on a financial level. I really apologize again and I know it won't do justice, and I know I'm going to get tons of **** for it but there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point.

So....I'm sorry again...I never expected this and when I saw it slightly starting to happen I tried my hardest to get more people to come and to find alternate ways to make money, but to no avail. I'm probably not going to really log back in to check this much because I already know the backlash I will get and it will just make me feel worse so I'll just leave it at that.

I guess thats the best I can do as far as this post goes...... I had to let everybody know, hopefully my friends realize that this was just a horrible misjudgement/sequence of events, but I definitely do expect people to be pissed, clearly I would too, but there is nothing that can be done at this point so all I can do is say "I'm sorry" like a broken record.

so....

I'm sorry
Wow. Ok guys, I posted this so you could read it easily without having to search forever for it like I had to. Lets keep the discussion on this topic at a mature level so we don't get our thread in trouble.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Not to sound like a ****, but that thread was so entertaining after that post.

So I found out my move in date; August 16th.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Me and Michael had a 5 hour smash fest a couple of days ago. Once we discuss it a bit more, we might turn it into weeklies or bi-weeklies. More information to come :)

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
If I can make it to august pathways I will give you a birthday hug.
Ok sounds good lol

Me and Michael had a 5 hour smash fest a couple of days ago. Once we discuss it a bit more, we might turn it into weeklies or bi-weeklies. More information to come :)
Yeah I hope we can get something arranged for that. I'm getting my truck in like a week so I'll have my own vehicle! But it'll only seat two adults (3 if we pack it mexican style). I can still take wife's car if I need it for short amounts of time though.

Also guys I will be housing the Arkansas Crew Friday night. They will arrive between 8pm-9pm and we'll be at the venue the next day asap. Can't wait!!!

EDIT: Also guys I got good news and bad news about Columbia. Bad news is only one guy is coming. Good news is it's LinkMO and he looks pretty decent in his vids, and he's also bringing a setup which includes a TV.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Impressive! I myself am a pad-warrior for ps3, but I'm flexible. And yeah, I wouldn't mind playing some marvel :)
I haven't got a pad yet myself, but I plan on getting the SE (If I find one for cheap) and then replacing the buttons, followed by the stick as money comes in. Can't wait to get one, I feel like my gameplay will improve so much more.

Also guys I will be housing the Arkansas Crew Friday night. They will arrive between 8pm-9pm and we'll be at the venue the next day asap. Can't wait!!!

EDIT: Also guys I got good news and bad news about Columbia. Bad news is only one guy is coming. Good news is it's LinkMO and he looks pretty decent in his vids, and he's also bringing a setup which includes a TV.
Sounds awesome. It sucks that there's only one coming from Columbia, but it's better then nothing. Me and Drew are about to go play some Melee in a few minutes. Gotta get that practice in :)

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
lol wow I feel like I need to find a way to practice melee eventually. I haven't touched that game in years unless you count project m lol.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
lol wow I feel like I need to find a way to practice melee eventually. I haven't touched that game in years unless you count project m lol.
As fun as Project M is, I wouldn't count it. Biggest reason: You don't land with your shins like you do in the original melee, son :cool:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
lmao...so is everyone else from springfield AIB exclusive? it's just us 3 posting :laugh:
I'm trying to get the other guys more active in posting. DrewBear, Terral, and -Tempest- all have smashboards accounts and by all means should post in here more often.

Just an FYI I'm trying to get -Tempest- over to my house tomorrow to smash, so if anyone else wants to come, you're more than welcome.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I had some extra time just now so I decided to check out this thread. I like how I'm already on the list without having to even do anything. I'm going to start checking this thread now, so I suppose I'll be posting here. A lot of our Brawl scene isn't active on AIB or SmashBoards, AIB seems to be the preference between the two. I don't care much either way.

I've had a little free time now that I don't have to be on a job hunt to practice some Melee tech skill, hopefully it'll help me out in the tournament. I'd have more time if I didn't have a hundred things to do this week.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I use AIB too, but I tend to avoid it because the trolls there aren't even good (I confess to trolling sometimes, but like...high standard of trolling :laugh: ). Either way, I'll be practicing some form of smash eventually lol.

By the way, what do you guys do? I mean background info outside of smash.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
The only reason I ever use AiB is to contact the Springfield community. Other then that, I use smashboards. I'd be nice if everyone converted, idk what's so great about the site anyway. The features are cool but the community is too casual for my liking.

Anyway, outside of smash I play other games and browse the Internet. I also do a lot of nothing, just random stuff with my friends.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
The thing I like most about AIB is being able to see brackets. Other than that, it's mostly a social site...but I do like it. Honestly I think if it didn't have Brawl in the title everyone would use it instead of smashboards lol.

Outside of smash, I'm a father of two children and a husband. I moved to Springfield to work for my dad who is starting a wood crafts company. We also do landscaping. On the 19th of April however, I will go to work for tmobile full time to help pay the bills until the business is really up and running. Although I have a feeling I'm really going to like tmobile and want to stay and possibly retire with them.

I just got back from -Tempest- aka Nathans today smashing. His peach is looking pretty good. DrewBear, Terral, and -Tempest- are all very evenly matched so it'll be interesting if any of them meet up in brackets this weekend at the tourney.

EDIT: Check out upcoming Saint Louis tournament
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=299531

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well aside from Smash, I do like playing games. I used to be really into the RTS genre, specifically CNC3:KW. I've played games too much since I was a little kid, and will likely continue that trend. The main thing I like now is programming (software, games, and websites), but it's not quite as easy to pick up and do as gaming is. I especially like game design.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
As far as video games go, I play mostly Nintendo games. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Donkey Kong, Fire Embem, and Final Fantasy are some of my favorite franchises. I also used to be really in to Diablo 2, Starcraft, and still am somewhat in to the C&C games.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I was into Street Fighter 4 for a while, but when SSF4 was announced I stopped caring. When it was never announced for PC, I decided to give up on it. I like sandbox games, so I enjoy Sims and Minecraft. Really, all I play now is Smash Bros, Minecraft, and (since the new generation) Pokemon. I used to play first person shooters when I had time (mostly TF2, a bit of CoD4/Black Ops), but now I play Minecraft.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
So as it stands right now, it looks like Columbia will be bringing 2-5 players. I keep getting answers like "more than likely I'll be able to go" or "I'm 90% sure I'll be able to come". Sinister and I are the "for surely" going ppl.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
So as it stands right now, it looks like Columbia will be bringing 2-5 players. I keep getting answers like "more than likely I'll be able to go" or "I'm 90% sure I'll be able to come". Sinister and I are the "for surely" going ppl.
Works for me :)

The more the better though so hopefully they all show up.

Tell them the noob Zivilyn Bane will MM each of the for $1. I'd do more but I'm pretty broke right now lol.

Also, good smashing last night Terral. Your Pika is getting pretty good.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'll talk to Ugvts about it, he has the connections that get us the venue. It's very likely, though. If we move it, expect the 23rd.

And yes, it was definitely fun. Got my mind off of things for a bit. I'll try to get better at not dying and things like that.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Our April tournament will be happening on the 23rd. I'll have the post up sometime soon.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
How was this month's tourney? I saw there was melee low tiers? That's so cool!
This month's tournament was so much fun. We had 3 people from Columbus (North of Springfield, about 3 hours) and 3 people from Arkansas (South, 3-4 hours). Both crews brought some good players and it was mostly melee all day. I can't wait for videos to be up, I'll probably end up linking them in the OP of the Springfield thread.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
So, I need to practice some more. I've come a decent way from where I started, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be (best Peach in the nation, of course). We should set up a Smashfesh before April 2nd, preferably a couple.

Thoughts?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Okay, so my transmission is most likely screwed up in my car. I don't know much about cars, so my description of the problem may be off, but from what I know, my transmission isn't shifting into 4th properly. I was told this could be the transmission or a sensor issue but that bad news is, I won't be able to drive to A.R.K. like I wanted to. I'd still be able to go if someone else decides to drive, I'd be able to throw down for gas and everything, but for now I'm not going to be able to drive. Sorry :(

Top Bottom