• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Hey guys, A.R.K. III (One of the South's largest fighting game tournaments) is coming up on April 2nd at Conway Gaming Center in Conway, AR! We are expecting at least ~120 people at this tournament featuring games such as Melee, Brawl, Project: M, SSF4, BB:CS, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and more! The Smash portion of the event will be run by Smashboard's own VTS and we will have a recording station available for you to record whichever matches you deem necessary (just work it out with the station manager). If you have ANY questions, please post on here or on the official tournament thread where you can find more details about the event located at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298654. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!
Hmmm I saw this earlier.

Guys, this is only a three and a half hour drive? I'm definitely down to go. What do y'all think?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I demand hugs as a prize if I win
I'm sure we could work something out :)

Hmmm I saw this earlier.

Guys, this is only a three and a half hour drive? I'm definitely down to go. What do y'all think?
I actually plan on going, but it depends on my schedule and who shows up. 100 people for a tournament is awesome but when it features that many games, only a select few will be smash. I wouldn't like to attend a tournament 3 1/2 hours away that only has about 10-20 smashers.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'm sure we could work something out :)

I actually plan on going, but it depends on my schedule and who shows up. 100 people for a tournament is awesome but when it features that many games, only a select few will be smash. I wouldn't like to attend a tournament 3 1/2 hours away that only has about 10-20 smashers.
That's true. I'd like to go so if you're going I'll ride with you and pitch in with gas of course :)

BTW I'm trying to get Terral to start the next monthly earlier...like around noon. This way the Columbia crew can arrive around noon, smash until 9pm-10pm, and still get home at a decent hour. It's a three hour drive so if we don't start until 5pm, they might only get to smash for four or five hours, which might not be worth it for such a long drive.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
On a curious thought how many people usually show up at the Pathways Tournaments?

<3
To my knowledge, anywhere between 10 and 20. Although this one coming up is going to be big because we have more people than usual, including players from Columbia.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm I saw this earlier.

Hey guys, thanks for the interest! I sincerely hope that you guys will be able to make it to our tournament. Are you guys Melee or Brawl players? As of right now, I can estimate there being 20 Melee players there and 20 Brawl players. Of course we're still a month away so this could drastically increase.

Although the drive is ~3 hours away, know that we'll do anything we can do to accommodate you while you're here. As soon as you walk in to when we close, we should have many available setups for you to play constant Smash with competition from all around Arkansas (including Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Louisiana, etc.). We will be running Smash AND Brawl as well as Project: M and quite possibly Smash 64. Honestly, I'm a Street Fighter guy but I have pushed hard to include and welcome the Smash community into our tournaments. As such, we have handed the reins of our Smash tournament to a very active Arkansan Smash player (VTS).

A couple of things that we do differently than other tournaments are
1) We provide free pizza and drinks and it's not limited. If we run out of pizza then we have consistently ordered more so that noone goes home hungry.
2) We advertise a regional tournament that heavily encourages people to travel in from all across the region which has allowed us to average just under 100 gamers at each tournament before this, with representation from five different states each time.
3) For this tournament in particular, we are very aggressively trying to obtain advertising/sponsorship/promotional materials and money. If we manage to obtain any of that, 100% of it will go back to the players. So you very well may be competing against 20 other players for a 40 person sized pot (as I mentioned in the official tourney thread). Of course, there's a chance that we don't obtain ANY sponsorship money or anything like that, but honestly I'm probably going to be contacting at least 50 companies within the next 24 hours. I think we'll get SOMETHING.
4) If not, then I'm 100% willing to throw my own money into a bonus pot for Smash. I can't guarantee anything big since I'm not rich, but if the number of Smash participants reaches a certain number (which I'll advertise before-hand so people will know it's not just arbitrary), then I'll throw $50-100 of my own money into the pot if necessary.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
So are they for sure coming?
LinkMO is 100% for sure coming. He's pretty good too, youtube him. There is a decent sized group in Columbia and he should have no problem filling his car full of smashers to bring with him. So I would expect 3-5 Columbia guys. Also I posted in the Arkansas thread too, since it's the same (3 hour drive). If you guys like, I can post in STL and KC just to see if we can get anybody else. The only thing I'd be concerned with is if way too many people showed up and because of the tournament description are expecting food and Robbie's parents (understandably) don't get enough for everyone. Let me know what you guys think and I'll wait before inviting STL and KC (or even Witchita, they're not that far either if I remember correctly).

SmokeMaxX - That's awesome to hear (the part about accommodating the players). I will say that 20 is kind of a low number, but I suppose since it's a "fighting game tournament" and not specifically a Smash tournament, it's not that bad of a thing. I would think more ppl would show, especially if we bring a car load. I'm trying to get people to come from 3 hours away for a small melee tournament so I don't want to be a hypocrite. I'm still definitely down to go, so hopefully we can get a car load and split gas like five ways or something and make it cheaper for everyone.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Haha no doubt, no doubt. I totally understand. Unfortunately we can't guarantee 120 SMASH players, though that would be amazing if we could haha. Maybe one day we'll grow to that point. Anyway, I hope to see you there. I know at this point in time we don't have a lot to show for those traveling out of state, but it IS a $10 tournament so there will be money in the pot for those from OOS.

But yes, once you pay the venue fee, you will get access to free pizza and drinks. We almost guaranteed will have Smash 64 available as well as people who think they're amazing at Smash 64 so they'd probably be glad to money match you haha. They're Street Fighter players, so I doubt they're that good, but I've never seen them play.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Wow I play most of those games! SF/Tekken/Mvc3/Smash...that'd be pretty amazing to go to!

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
See you there, sir :)
Oh, we should have Asian chicks there too if anyone's interested ;)

Saffy

Smash Ace
See you there, sir :)
Oh, we should have Asian chicks there too if anyone's interested ;)
I lol'd. If any smasher would try to get laid....

Wish I could go to out of state tournaments , but my parents are very against it .

Also maybe for the next tournament (The one after March) I might be able to provide small prizes for the people who show up. Like I got a bunch of Pokemon Dog tags/necklaces that I can't sell that might be good for that. Idk, I've donated 80 Pokemon Plush to a tournament in Arizona before, and people really loved them n.n

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master

Wish I could go to out of state tournaments , but my parents are very against it .

Also maybe for the next tournament (The one after March) I might be able to provide small prizes for the people who show up. Like I got a bunch of Pokemon Dog tags/necklaces that I can't sell that might be good for that. Idk, I've donated 80 Pokemon Plush to a tournament in Arizona before, and people really loved them n.n
Prizes would be awesome. Make sure you pick out a good one for first place melee!

Unless Roman beats me for it! In that case, pick out a good one for second place melee too! :)

_Yes!_

Smash Hero

Hey babeh...Wanna secks?

Also gimme :089: plushes.

Prizes would be awesome. Make sure you pick out a good one for first place melee!

Unless Roman beats me for it! In that case, pick out a good one for second place melee too! :)
You guys should be arguing about 2nd and 3rd when I show up! :laugh: jk I don't even know if I can waveshine anymore.

Saffy

Smash Ace

I was just planning on giving every single person something n.n But maybe have the first place be able to choose first because I've got some like Ninetails, Slowpoke, Koffing, Psyduck, Persian, Tauros, + more. n.n

PS: Chris you aint winnin brawl when I go. I GOT THIS. Nah actually Atomsk ***** me.... everytime I'd almost win he'd try even harder ;-;. But I found out he ran into 60% of every charged smash I did XD I got him with luigi's downsmash it was soo unexpected.

The only match I won was against his ganon on Rainbow Cruise lmao ;-;

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I was just planning on giving every single person something n.n But maybe have the first place be able to choose first because I've got some like Ninetails, Slowpoke, Koffing, Psyduck, Persian, Tauros, + more. n.n

PS: Chris you aint winnin brawl when I go. I GOT THIS. Nah actually Atomsk ***** me.... everytime I'd almost win he'd try even harder ;-;. But I found out he ran into 60% of every charged smash I did XD I got him with luigi's downsmash it was soo unexpected.

The only match I won was against his ganon on Rainbow Cruise lmao ;-;
Saf you will see the **** that is my falcon, and you will make me a :089: plush. And then we will ride into the sunset.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman

If you would be so kind as to donate prizes for our A.R.K. III tournament, we can try to accommodate you in any way possible. I'm not sure if you run a business or whatever, but if so we can advertise it at our tournament/websites/everywhere and make sure everyone knows where the prizes are coming from. Whatever you want, we're pretty much willing to do. We're constantly working on extra little prizes for everyone. If not, we understand.

Saffy

Smash Ace
If you would be so kind as to donate prizes for our A.R.K. III tournament, we can try to accommodate you in any way possible. I'm not sure if you run a business or whatever, but if so we can advertise it at our tournament/websites/everywhere and make sure everyone knows where the prizes are coming from. Whatever you want, we're pretty much willing to do. We're constantly working on extra little prizes for everyone. If not, we understand.
I wish I could, but I can't go. :[

Though that gives me a huge idea to sponsor a tournament in Missouri that maybe out of state players will come to. n.n

Saffy

Smash Ace
Walking takes 9 hours and biking takes 3 hours lol. Taxi would be like $50...

I'm probably gonna have to ask for rides. Saf? =]
Sorry but my parents won't pick anyone up unless they are dead center on the way there.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Walking takes 9 hours and biking takes 3 hours lol. Taxi would be like $50...

I'm probably gonna have to ask for rides. Saf? =]
We'll work on getting you rides and stuff into town. I almost always can do it as long as I get gas money. You're not going to be here until August though, so a lot can change between now and then.

I will personally make sure you AT LEAST make it to our monthly events though, for as long as your willing to go.

EDIT: I live in the northern most part of town so for me, Boliver is only like a 20 minute drive. However, you gotta remember it's 20 minutes there, then 30 to the venue, then 30 back, and 20 back to my house. That's 1 hour 40 minutes of driving. Maybe someone lives closer than I do. What are the chances you can get a car? I assume you'll be making money in Boliver, no?

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
We'll work on getting you rides and stuff into town. I almost always can do it as long as I get gas money. You're not going to be here until August though, so a lot can change between now and then.

I will personally make sure you AT LEAST make it to our monthly events though, for as long as your willing to go.

EDIT: I live in the northern most part of town so for me, Boliver is only like a 20 minute drive. However, you gotta remember it's 20 minutes there, then 30 to the venue, then 30 back, and 20 back to my house. That's 1 hour 40 minutes of driving. Maybe someone lives closer than I do. What are the chances you can get a car? I assume you'll be making money in Boliver, no?
Quite the opposite, I'm paying tuition...well my loans will be. I can pay gas money, but as you said that's a long time from now. I'm just really excited about the move that I forget how much time it'll still be.

Also if anyone here is interested in Project M and wants more characters besides the demo ones let me know ;)

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Quite the opposite, I'm paying tuition...well my loans will be. I can pay gas money, but as you said that's a long time from now. I'm just really excited about the move that I forget how much time it'll still be.

Also if anyone here is interested in Project M and wants more characters besides the demo ones let me know ;)
We're equally excited to have you. As far as P:M goes, I think generally our whole melee group is interested, but at the same time our whole brawl group seems disinterested. I think Roman had the pre-demo leak that had more characters, but said he preferred the demo limited to 14 characters better.

As soon as I get enough money to buy brawl again, Imma download the demo lol.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
We're equally excited to have you. As far as P:M goes, I think generally our whole melee group is interested, but at the same time our whole brawl group seems disinterested. I think Roman had the pre-demo leak that had more characters, but said he preferred the demo limited to 14 characters better.

As soon as I get enough money to buy brawl again, Imma download the demo lol.
Well all I did was swap the demo characters files in place of their corresponding alpha folders in the alpha I have, so it's Alpha + Demo :)

That's so cool that you guys have melee + brawl in one place :) NJ's super divided about that.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Well all I did was swap the demo characters files in place of their corresponding alpha folders in the alpha I have, so it's Alpha + Demo :)
Same concept of what I plan on doing, except a little different. I plan to mix all the stages together (since there's some stages in one version that aren't in the other and vice versa) and for the alpha characters, I plan on having their css icons being grayed out so people can know what characters are pretty much finalized. I just haven't got around to doing it yet, lol.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I think I did stages too, but I don't know much about hacking and such because I don't have a wii so I never bothered :laugh:

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
This sucks...sitting at home bored with no one to smash with =/
You could practice tech skill? :grin:

I don't really have any melee players around. Two brawl players, one quit and plays mvc3, the other still plays but we opt to play project M.

At home I bounce between mvc3 and starcraft2.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
You could practice tech skill? :grin:

I don't really have any melee players around. Two brawl players, one quit and plays mvc3, the other still plays but we opt to play project M.

At home I bounce between mvc3 and starcraft2.
I'd be fine with some Project M, melee, or even smash64. Seems like I'm just the only one that ever wants to play =/ Just like back in Saint Joseph :(

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I suggest starcraft2 :laugh:
Well I played Starcraft one for a little while off and on. It's such an amazing game. It's probably the only game I would consider to be as deep as Melee (that I've ever played). The problem though is you pretty much need to dedicate your life to it to be any good =/

My desktop is way too crappy to run Starcraft Two, and my laptop is actually my wife's. I'm planning on getting a new laptop probably this summer when I have some more money saved up. I might get Starcraft Two, but I probably won't try to be a competitive player. I had to force myself to quit Starcraft One because it's so damn addictive.

Lord knows what would happen to me if Melee was online and lag free =/

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
It's not that bad lol. I pretty much just copied some builds until I got a feel for it. I do 2v2's online with my friend. It's pretty fun.

And yeah I have to run everything on low settings and lag a tiny bit in huge battles, but it's fine. I'm planning on getting a nice laptop as a graduation gift, so SC2 will be shiny soon :laugh:

If melee was online and lag free I wouldn't be posting here right now lmao

Top Bottom