• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I know that. That's why I wanted to play Springfield smashers before St. Louis smashers since Terral (I think) said Springfield wasn't as good. My tech skill is good, I just need live play.
You'll learn a lot at the tourney on Friday. Bring a notepad or something ;) I remember how hopeless I felt after playing DarkAtma last spring... but as long as they aren't jerks about critiquing you (lucky atma is super nice) its really easy to learn and grow as a player.

:phone:

MOJoe

Smash Cadet
Thanks man. I'm really excited for this tourney now. I know I won't do well ( I probably won't even take a stock from anyone) because I won't be comfortable playing against higher level players, but I'm going to have to get comfortable and tournament like this sounds like the place to do it.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Yo Springfield crew! We just had a killer tourney here in STL on Friday. I didn't advertise it to you guys because it's far away, on a Friday night, and it was also my first time TO'ing. About 40 people showed up total, with 30 in the singles. The venue surprised me with how much they provided. They brought in a small volunteer crew, hooked us up with live stream on their channel, projected the streaming tv on the wall, and had commentator mics. And no venue fee. The live stream turned out awesome, you can view it here: http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/354095355

At least catch the grand finals between Atma and Dekuschrub with Ripple commentating.

We will definitely be doing tourneys with them in the future, probably one every 2-3 months, and hopefully on Saturdays. Can't guarantee a free venue, but it would def be worth $5/person for an AV crew. The venue was super excited to host such a big crowd... I could tell they were both surprised and ecstatic.

And here is the results thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=332183

Hope that the next one is bigger and better, and that all of you can make it out.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I meant, are you going to attend the next Rolla monthly?
Oh, haha. I'd like to, depends on the date. The last one fell on my national guard duty day, and I can't get out of those :/ But I'll push to make it out to one soon.

:phone:

SS4 Shinobi

Smash Cadet
ok, Sam and I (Sinister and Shinobi) have decided that it's time for the (mostly) missouri smash community to come together and have a nice friendly smashfest (hopefully reoccurring) for anyone in missouri that can come! KC, Springfield, St Louis, Como, Washington, Rolla, or anyone else are all welcome and encouraged to come and meet ur fellow missouri smashers and get better! It'll be here in columbia mo which is centrally located so people from all over missouri can come and play for most of us under or around a 2 hour drive. except poplar bluff :( which are still welcome to come! Depending on how many people can make it will decide when and where the smashfest will occur/be at. If more than 15 to 20 people can make it, then i will have to find somewhere other than my house for hosting, which i am very willing to do. This will hopefully either be on saturday march 2nd or sat march 16th, so its not conflicting with romo8 (rolla monthly) or smym 14. which ever one of those 2 dates more people can make it to, is when i'll schedule it. SO IF U CAN MAKE IT TO ONE OR BOTH OF THOSE 2 DATES AND WANNA COME, PLEASE TELL ME WHICH SO I CAN FIGURE OUT WHEN TO HAVE IT. We wanna have as many players as possible! Especially new smashers wanting more play time and experience with other players! This should be a great opportunity for meeting people and of course........playing smash! The more smashers u can bring, the cheaper gas will be, so bring everyone u can!

SS4 Shinobi

Smash Cadet
Ok. We have about 14 people so far. From St. Louis, Como, Washington, and rolla. It also lookin like the date for this will be the march 2nd Saturday, but still lemme know which date works best. (2nd or 16th) Hope u guys can make it.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
King Siegfried, there really isn't one :( We lost Pathways as a venue, and we haven't found anything to replace it. I personally am too busy to organize them (although if somebody else organized them TERRAL, I'd certainly be down to T.O. them). We just don't have a venue though.

Shinobi: I personally am going to be out of town from 2/27 to 3/1, so I will likely be too tired/burned out/broke to do anything for a week or two after that. While I certainly can't speak for the rest of my crew, it's likely that they won't be able to make anything that far that soon either.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I could organize them when it was still Pathways, since there was usually very little to deal with from them. I don't really have the time to find a new venue or deal with whatever politics would be involved anymore, though. I also don't have the funds to pay for anything, and if I'm organizing a tournament I don't want there to be a venue fee. As for 3/2, I'd like to go but I probably can't. Maybe if Springfield can send a car.

SS4 Shinobi

Smash Cadet
That's fine ziv. Here's the new plan. We're just gunna have the Como smashfest on both weekends (2nd and 16th). This weekend we're having peeps from como, St. Louis, and rolla. Brandon and rolla peeps want to go to both. So don't sweet it aboit this saturday. on the 16th, we'll just do it again, except with hopefully having u Springfield guys, Como, and rolla again. Some people said they can go to both, but I'm not sure on who all's doin what about going to both, (other than Como and rolla). I'm bout to make a post about it on the face books groups, since that's more reliable than this and KC isn't going anyway. So if u can go to the 16th one, that'd work out great

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Wake up SPRINGFIELD!
I'm comin' for you Ziv!
:mad088:
Haha. We are awake, we just do most of our discussing in the Springfield Facebook page nowadays. RFrizz I was watching our vids and I think you were just playing sloppy, rather than me being on point. But it's fun to have a new rival so you'd better be prepared for next time, I have a few things I think will give me an edge next time we play ^_^

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
I don't like saying "maan I was juss playin bad" the only really whack thing I did was like up throw and then get uaired, and being good at punishing bad decisions is a part of being the better player. You also knew a lot of gimmicks I try to use like when you light shielded to not get poked on the plat was smart. In any case I'm looking forward to next time!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Alright, this is super late notice, but we have our next tournament scheduled for April 13. I don't expect you guys to come all the way out from Springfield when there's a ROMO the following weekend (which I STILL can't attend), but I'm just being polite and giving the head's up.

http://smashboards.com/threads/stl-...ourney-april-13th-2013-marlborough-mo.335476/
Yeah I would like to go but it is too late notice =/

Also how do you know there's a ROMO the next day? There's no topic on smashboards about it and Brandon hasn't said anything.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I would like to go but it is too late notice =/

Also how do you know there's a ROMO the next day? There's no topic on smashboards about it and Brandon hasn't said anything.
Just double checked with Brandon. It's April 27th, he just has to reserve the space, then it's official I suppose. I was thinking it was the 20th for some reason.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
As far as Smash goes I just play what in my opinion is by far the funnest, Melee.
Hi! Do you have a facebook account by chance? We do most of our planning in the Springfield Smash Bros Community facebook group. You can request to be added there.

We've been decently active lately (aside from taking a couple weeks off after a recent tournament in Oklahoma). We also have a pretty solid scene here. We sent a group of three players to a tournament in Oklahoma recently, where we took 2nd in teams, and 2nd and 3rd in singles. We're certainly not pros, but we're quite capable players. We're also very focused on development of new players so definitely hit us up. I host every weekend practically, and we'll be starting up again on Sundays starting with this weekend.

hayhar07

Smash Rookie
Hi! Do you have a facebook account by chance? We do most of our planning in the Springfield Smash Bros Community facebook group. You can request to be added there.

We've been decently active lately (aside from taking a couple weeks off after a recent tournament in Oklahoma). We also have a pretty solid scene here. We sent a group of three players to a tournament in Oklahoma recently, where we took 2nd in teams, and 2nd and 3rd in singles. We're certainly not pros, but we're quite capable players. We're also very focused on development of new players so definitely hit us up. I host every weekend practically, and we'll be starting up again on Sundays starting with this weekend.
Yes I have a Facebook and I found the page to which you're referring. My name is Hayden Harris and I should have a pending request to join the group. Playing with you guys on weekends sounds fun! I need to play against some people who know what they're doing so I can learn the more complicated mechanics to the game and start to work on them, as of now I am what you would call, a noob.

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
Hello. I recently got seriously into melee with one of my friends and we have a dream of going pro (silly huh?). We have hosted 2 "tournaments" so far (so small that it shouldn't even be called a tournament) and we are about to have a 3rd one this Friday. I and my friend would like to join your group and get stronger. We aren't that strong yet, but I would love to practice with you guys and go to the tournaments with you.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Awesome, how long have you all been playing? We usually meet a few times a month on weekends, depending on how busy everyone is. As far as turnout goes, we never found many local players when we've tried to run tournaments in Springfield, and hardly any who were interested in being competitive. You can probably find our Facebook group if you search for it, just request to join and someone should let you in at some point.

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
I and my friend have only been playing competitive play for about 4 months now. I requested to join your group. Our tournaments have been really small and only 4 people there have actually really played Melee. The rest are real beginners learning how to play for the first time. My friend also plays Project M, and I would be interested in that as well but I haven't played it. Even though we haven't played much, I and my friend really love to play competitively and it is so much fun to learn how to get better at this game. We hope to play against you guys soon!

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Is there any activity in springfield for melee anymore?
Hey, no one really checks SmashBoards anymore so I guess I'm the first one to see your post. We're fairly active, we have reasonably-sized gatherings (usually 5-10 people) every weekend and sometimes smaller ones on weekdays. Search Facebook for the Springfield Smash Bros Community and request to join if you haven't yet.

Top Bottom