• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
man i need to find a good controller soon so i don't have to get ***** by everyone :bee:
don't let him lie. his controller does actually suck, the stick doesn't really work on the new one he has... can't do turnarounds with it at all (i tried as well). But I'm still getting 4 stocked.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Sam why don't you just take my platinum controller? You know for a fact its damn good. Its my secondary so u know its immaculate.

Terry

Smash Ace
Good to hear you think I'm getting better. My main goal right now is to take a set off of Michael. or is it set?

I haven't really been working on tech skill at all because I have most of the technical things down I think. Since there isn't much with Sheik anyways. But I am always trying to implement more. Every week I find something new to work on.

I'm mainly working on wavedashing out of shield which is proving to be pretty difficult for me in a match. I even find myself in situations where I think "I should wavedash out of shield here" but I can't do it fast enough. It's mainly because I use R for shield, wavedashing, and L canceling. I'm trying to switch shield to L but it's not so easy. I can wavedash out of shield on command but due to habit I can't do it in a match. I've been trying playing against cpus and just trying to focus on using the L button to shield but it doesn't help. Any tips on this? Another thing that's hard for me is DI. I really just don't know how to work on this. >_>

I'm trying to work a lot more on spacing and reading comprehension. And also, just trying to figure out my best options for each situation. But these are difficult to work on without real opponents to play so I don't get much experience other than watching vids and our weekly smashfests I think.

I think that my mental toughness and mindset has been holding me back and I really feel that when I'm playing against Michael although I was able to keep up with him some this last smashfest. =)

Terral, if you're wanting to pick up Sheik or Falco or Fox I think you should if you're playing to win. If you're just playing for fun then I suggest you play whatever character you have fun playing with. But I think it's best that you focus on one character if you're serious.

"You might be able to improve your skill at a certain character from a 20 to a 75 out of 100 (in arbitrary “skill units”) in the same time that you could develop your main character from a 93 to a 93.5. But your main character is what is going to win you the tournament, and you need every edge you can get with him." -Sirlin

I do think a secondary can be pretty important but I still feel you should focus on one character first.

Roman, I still think you're better by a bit. It's hard to tell though. Nothing is linear. I can't beat Michael but you can. And I can beat you. I'm not sure of any advice I could give you other than stop giving away free kills. Because I'll gladly take them. ;o

Nathan, don't give up. It seems when you lose your momentum you start to give up altogether. I kind of feel the same thing when I'm playing Michael.

I remember one game you were doing fairly well and probably would have won but Michael caught you early a couple stocks with spikes and destroyed you. Always pick the conflicts you can win or avoid the conflicts altogether.

“It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.” -Sun Tzu

If you really have ambition then I believe you will get better. Just know that I won't let you stop me :p

Also, I'd like to know if anyone here needs a teammate for BTEH2! But it would be ideal if we could get some team friendlies in beforehand at smashfests. I may just end up doing only singles. ;[

tl;dr - Need help with di and wavedash oos. And then some of my thoughts on some things. And I need teammate for BTEH2. After Mist I can't help but want to play more xD

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I can WD OOS. I can teach you. I also have some knowledge on DI that I could teach you. Not to say that I have the ability to do these practically midmatch, but you get what I'm saying.
I am definitely going to be there the 17th, so maybe I can show you.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Another thing that's hard for me is DI. I really just don't know how to work on this. >_>

tl;dr - Need help with di
This is going to sound REALLY stupid at first, but hear me out. I taught myself how to DI by jumping into a level 9 Ganon's Up-B. The reason for this is the amount of time it takes Ganon to do his Up-B allowed me enough time to mentally think "oh I need to press up on the controller in order to DI this". Trust me, it worked for me.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I shield with R and have no problem wavedashing oos so you shouldn't switch to l if you like r better.

Wretched, you coming to pathways on the 27th?

:phone:

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
This is going to sound REALLY stupid at first, but hear me out. I taught myself how to DI by jumping into a level 9 Ganon's Up-B. The reason for this is the amount of time it takes Ganon to do his Up-B allowed me enough time to mentally think "oh I need to press up on the controller in order to DI this". Trust me, it worked for me.
how will that help you when you don't have time to think? :bee:

Terry

Smash Ace
I shield with R and have no problem wavedashing oos so you shouldn't switch to l if you like r better.

Wretched, you coming to pathways on the 27th?

yea but do you wavedash and shield with r?

I don't know if I'll have that kind of cash, bro.
The tourney is like 2 dollars lol. I'm sure someone could pay for you. I can at least. Or did you need cash to travel here or something? Not sure how close you'll be. In Springfield? Or around us somewhere?

And I can wavedash out of shield easily. But from habit I can't do it when I want to.

And I'm gonna find a guide on Di tonight. and try the ganondorf thing. :3

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
OH, I thought you were talking about that one where we'd need $55
Yeah, I can afford the $1-2 entry fee >.>

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Once I get an idea of how my schedule will be I'll be able to let you guys know. At most I can go to pathways events though. Either in September, October or both. Also, Bolivar to Springfield is a straight shot across 13, but I don't have a car here.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
A fest on saturday?
I dunno if I will have a ride. If I don't, maybe one of you lives close.
Also, Yes 8000 posts
Congrats.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I start school tomorrow (technically today, since it's 1 am). I won't be available on weekdays anymore, even though we never usually smash on weekdays anyway. Just so you all know.

Here's to my last ****ty year of High School.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
I start school tomorrow (technically today, since it's 1 am). I won't be available on weekdays anymore, even though we never usually smash on weekdays anyway. Just so you all know.

Here's to my last ****ty year of High School.
wait you are still in high school?? Damn I feel old :/

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
DI is really something that you really have to learn by doing. Want to get better at DI? Play, play, play. DI gets better if you can do it instinctively but not habitually. Do it instinctively to increase reaction time and maximize results. Don't do it habitually because that would not invoke thought and thus can lead to DI-ing the wrong way. For example, Jiggs rests you. Well, at a low percent, you would DI to live. At a high percent, you want to DI so that you die off the side and can come back and punish. However if there is a wall present (ie pokestadium) you might want to DI towards the wall and attempt to tech.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I learned DI in Brawl, and it transfers over fairly well. I just miss momentum cancelling.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I learned to DI by getting destroyed by melee players that are way better than me, and teching and DI'ing were all I could practice :laugh: Served me well :)

>Bert<

Smash Ace
I learned DI in Brawl, and it transfers over fairly well. I just miss momentum cancelling.
There's only like a 3 degree difference between Melee DI and Brawl DI if I remember correctly so yea they would transition over fairly well. Strong Bad would be able to clear this one up. Where you at??

Divinokage

Smash Legend
The DI is the same in both games.. but you have to understand the initial trajectory of one move and then DI accordingly to the move that has been used. Also sometimes depending on the %. At some point it's just on reaction, you get hit auto-DI.. it's like muscle memory.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Seriously. Why can't melee have more tripping =/

I'm so excited! Finally going to get a new cell phone!! Getting more money from the accident and we're buying the kids a ton of stuff they need and getting ourselves new phones. HTC Sensation here I come!!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
iPhone. Just unlock that ***** to work for T-mobile.
Why would I want to use an iPhone 4...a phone with a 1.0ghz processor, 5mp camera, record in 720p hd, that isn't even 4G.....when I can use a HTC Sensation that has a 1.2ghz dual-core processor, 8mp camera, ability to record in full 1080p hd, can download movies and plug the phone into my hdtv and watch in bluray quality, with 4G service when I'm in a 4G area (eff you springfield) ?

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Thank you for clearing that up Kage. For some reason I felt as if I read somewhere on one of the Project M threads that the DI was almost identical but couldn't remember the full story.

And Ziv, I finally got sick of my iPhone and nearly threw it out the window the other day. I purchased the HTC Inspire 4G. Its no dual-core monster, nor does it have 1080p recording, but ill have 4G where I'm at. Haha. Oh yea, and no front facing camera :'(. I'm gonna root it as soon as I get it too. Woot.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Why would I want to use an iPhone 4...a phone with a 1.0ghz processor, 5mp camera, record in 720p hd, that isn't even 4G.....when I can use a HTC Sensation that has a 1.2ghz dual-core processor, 8mp camera, ability to record in full 1080p hd, can download movies and plug the phone into my hdtv and watch in bluray quality, with 4G service when I'm in a 4G area (eff you springfield) ?
Oh, so now you think YOU'RE cool with the better phone. I see :p

Specs aren't EVVVVERYTHING btw. You'll miss out on all our cool apps. Plus, iPhone 5 is around the corner so we'll see the specs on that, because I do agree, the iPhone is a bit outdated, but even though the specs aren't comparable to newer phones, it still runs like a boss with a 1ghz processor and I've never had much problems with it crashing or freezing even when I have my entire app library opened in the background.

/iPhone fanboy :troll:

And Ziv, I finally got sick of my iPhone and nearly threw it out the window the other day. I purchased the HTC Inspire 4G. Its no dual-core monster, nor does it have 1080p recording, but ill have 4G where I'm at. Haha. Oh yea, and no front facing camera :'(. I'm gonna root it as soon as I get it too. Woot.
Too bad it wasn't a 4!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Thank you for clearing that up Kage. For some reason I felt as if I read somewhere on one of the Project M threads that the DI was almost identical but couldn't remember the full story.

Well like for example, Doc's Fair, you don't DI Up, or UP+Inside.. you gotta DI that away if not you die upwards earlier lol. Like Falcon's upair, try to DI away too if not you'll get juggled to hell. =P

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
... and I've never had much problems with it crashing or freezing even when I have my entire app library opened in the background.
The way iPhone "multitasking" works is that when you switch away from an app that supports it, it saves state data necessary to pick up where you left off in a cache, then when you pull the app up again it can quickly load it back. It's basically identical to what some apps did before they added "fast app switching" or "docking", but a bit speedier: previously, apps would save state data in their own local storage, so that when you pulled them up later you'd be where you were before. The docking support just makes that process easier for developers and faster for users. None of the apps you have docked are actually running or capable of doing anything until you go back to them, except for certain services such as the iPod and clock (alarm).

Android and most other smartphone operating systems support true multitasking, wherein the apps can remain running in the background performing tasks. Of course, this has drawbacks (greater battery drain, potential to bog down under heavy load), but no one can deny that having the capability is a bad thing. The iPhone's docking system allows for more consistent performance, but at the cost of more freedom. Ideally, an OS would provide support for both methods.

As for spec comparison, the iPhone's processor isn't necessarily worse due to this multitasking support and the fact that iPhone apps are designed for only a select few models. If you have the most recent iPhone, all apps and games will run as best they possibly could. With Android, you actually do need the faster processor to keep up (similar to a computer) since there will be apps that try to push the limits.

Oh, and if you had thought of those little popup windows (notifications) that apps have, that is also not multitasking. Essentially, the notification system allows a remote server to send a message to your phone and display it on the screen in relation to an app. For instance, if you have an app set to alert you about the most recent deals, the app has told the website to add you to the list, and the website subsequently pushes out messages to your phone when new deals are available. The app isn't actually running during any part of this process, it's handled by the operating system.

tl;dr everyone wins and loses at the same time

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I can't do anything on saturday.

EDIT: But I live a minute away from MSU, if you need a reference point as to where I am.

Top Bottom