• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd say his best move is Shadow Ball. It's vital to both his offensive and defensive play, being able to apply pressure and to force an enemy to approach. U-throw, on the other hand, doesn't do much aside from kill. It's cool and all, but it's not as vital to Mewtwo's play style.

U-Throw the person is definitely pretty awesome though.

D

Deleted member

Maining Mewtwo is the best decision I've made in quite a while. Rest in pieces, Dedede. :4mewtwo:

It's really exciting to see Mewtwo's meta progresss so fast. Maybe we'll see rep for him at Pound and Apex soon?

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I'd say his best move is Shadow Ball. It's vital to both his offensive and defensive play, being able to apply pressure and to force an enemy to approach. U-throw, on the other hand, doesn't do much aside from kill. It's cool and all, but it's not as vital to Mewtwo's play style.

Alright I just wanted some answers I checked out u throw and he does seem pretty cool

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

A tip I got from a fellow M2 main at a tourney was to try using u throw at low percents and try following with a uair or whatever. It's a nice alternative to f throw, it only does 1% less and at low % it won't stale.

Another tip I got was to ledge trump often as a mindgame. Take that as you will.

Oh, also u throw damage is consistent. As we all know f throw shadow balls may miss at times like on Yoshi for example...

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
A tip I got from a fellow M2 main at a tourney was to try using u throw at low percents and try following with a uair or whatever. It's a nice alternative to f throw, it only does 1% less and at low % it won't stale.

Another tip I got was to ledge trump often as a mindgame. Take that as you will.
I can't do the teleport ledge trump I always end of missing soooo your saying use u throw as a combo throw there I've never thought of that but you could use fthrow for stage control

I use back throw, escape, and shadow ball charge. A high damage shield breaker is all I need out of grab, because Mewtwo's combos are entirely based on winning neutral, not grabbing and following.
As for Greninja or Lucas... that's where I grab combo.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I use back throw, escape, and shadow ball charge. A high damage shield breaker is all I need out of grab, because Mewtwo's combos are entirely based on winning neutral, not grabbing and following.
As for Greninja or Lucas... that's where I grab combo.
I ususally save back throw for a backup kill incase I stale u throw good insight man

I found that out from this thread. I forget who said it, but it was a YouTube embed with the caption "VoiD has a Mewtwo. I repeat, VOID HAS A MEWTWO." Then he swept Glitch Low Tiers.

Another enlightening moment of Glitch was the two :4duckhunt: players in the top 15. One of which placed 5th, above MVD. Just goes to show that we are nearing the age of no tier list. Let's hope they fix the :4bayonetta: KO combos.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Heyo everyone. Haven't posted here in awhile.

Kinda late but the Mewtwo buffs are siiiiiiiiiiiick. So happy that almost everybody considers him at least a mid tier now. He feels much more satisfying to use now. :D

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Just finished another long 1v1 session with my cousin. Did some FF dubs earlier too. Found out that out of my top 3 :4cloud::4mewtwo::4robinf: I have the least worries with Mewtwo. Cloud, I'm always afraid of getting gimped early and Robin, I have to fear cqc a bit but the biggest issue Mewtwo tends to have is just dying early due to weight.

Starting to love jab which is a move I didn't use too often before. Due to its trample effect, I was able to use jab at the same time my cousin used utilt with Peach and Fox and was able to land a grab since the two moves didn't interact and jab ends faster. Still trying to make more use of shad fair. Also need to either stop going so deep for edgeguards or at least be more careful about it. Died twice in 2 separate matches to his Falcon all because he snagged me of my double jump with Falcon Dive. Also need to start incorporating Teleport ledge cancels into my game.

Random thought I've had since my last session with my cousin when I used Confusion getting back on stage and I got his Puff onto a Battlefield platform but I've thought of the idea of Confusion -> read get up with Disable -> nair or small Shadow Ball -> Shadow Ball jab lock -> Disable -> punishment of choice. Not even sure if Confusion puts opponents on the platform when performed while grounded and if it does, who all it works on. Probably a thread somewhere about it and if not then it's not too hard to test. Idea might work with dthrow too since I believe that can force opponents onto a platform too at certain percents. All of this assuming of course that the opponent doesn't tech.

Last thing for this post but from what I've seen mentioned in the CCI, Greninjas tend to avoid using shield since their OoS options aren't too good. I'm wondering if Mewtwo is in a similar boat. Teleport isn't an offensive tool, usmash and grab would be good but our traction is bad so perhaps using our mobility to avoid the need for shielding as much as possible is a good idea.

D

Deleted member

I played as :mewtwomelee: in Melee today... damn, I've realized how far we've come as a character in Smash 4. Not gonna miss an absolutely useless Confusion.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Just finished another long 1v1 session with my cousin. Did some FF dubs earlier too. Found out that out of my top 3 :4cloud::4mewtwo::4robinf: I have the least worries with Mewtwo. Cloud, I'm always afraid of getting gimped early and Robin, I have to fear cqc a bit but the biggest issue Mewtwo tends to have is just dying early due to weight.

Starting to love jab which is a move I didn't use too often before. Due to its trample effect, I was able to use jab at the same time my cousin used utilt with Peach and Fox and was able to land a grab since the two moves didn't interact and jab ends faster. Still trying to make more use of shad fair. Also need to either stop going so deep for edgeguards or at least be more careful about it. Died twice in 2 separate matches to his Falcon all because he snagged me of my double jump with Falcon Dive. Also need to start incorporating Teleport ledge cancels into my game.

Random thought I've had since my last session with my cousin when I used Confusion getting back on stage and I got his Puff onto a Battlefield platform but I've thought of the idea of Confusion -> read get up with Disable -> nair or small Shadow Ball -> Shadow Ball jab lock -> Disable -> punishment of choice. Not even sure if Confusion puts opponents on the platform when performed while grounded and if it does, who all it works on. Probably a thread somewhere about it and if not then it's not too hard to test. Idea might work with dthrow too since I believe that can force opponents onto a platform too at certain percents. All of this assuming of course that the opponent doesn't tech.

Last thing for this post but from what I've seen mentioned in the CCI, Greninjas tend to avoid using shield since their OoS options aren't too good. I'm wondering if Mewtwo is in a similar boat. Teleport isn't an offensive tool, usmash and grab would be good but our traction is bad so perhaps using our mobility to avoid the need for shielding as much as possible is a good idea.
Yeah all of our out of shield options are garbage and that's generally what I do but against rushdown your gonna have to shield so maybe some phasing will help I could be wrong tho

Yeah we were horrible in melee I'm glad this game is doing him justice

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord

Yes, his jab is a horribly underrated move. Especially his finisher, which launches enemies off like "Get off of me, b*tch". It also deals good damage. Personally it's one of my favorite moves of his.

And yes, Mewtwo was garbage in Melee. Confusion and Disable were absolutely useless. Also Mewtwo was fugly, LOL.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Yes, his jab is a horribly underrated move. Especially his finisher, which launches enemies off like "Get off of me, b*tch". It also deals good damage. Personally it's one of my favorite moves of his.

And yes, Mewtwo was garbage in Melee. Confusion and Disable were absolutely useless. Also Mewtwo was fugly, LOL.
Exactly that game did him no justice

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Also Mewtwo was fugly, LOL.
I know right? The devs made the head way too big to the point that Mewtwo looked like a stereotypical alien rather than a Pokemon. So I'm glad they gave him his modern/anime design in Smash 4.
image.png
image.jpeg
However, I didn't play much of Melee so I didn't get to experience how he was in that game but I believe everyone who says he was sub-par in that game.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I didn't play much of Melee so I didn't get to experience how he was in that game but I believe everyone who says he was sub-par in that game.
I mained him mainly because he had the best style, but yeah... I always placed last at tournaments where the players were even remotely competent. No bother to me, since I am cool to be the stoner in the corner and I don't mind losing if my character doesn't applaud :)

However, his Melee BAir was truly awesome (without it I might as well have only used shadowballs and fairs), and it was so encoded into my muscle memory that I still throw it out late all the time in Sm4sh. Its the one thing I miss, and if they could make it so his hitboxes come out just a little bit sooner in the animation, Mewtwo would be pure devastation (WALL OF BAIR). Its not a lot to complain about when you consider all the buff he has had in Sm4sh, but I feel the BAir nerf so keenly.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I mained him mainly because he had the best style, but yeah... I always placed last at tournaments where the players were even remotely competent. No bother to me, since I am cool to be the stoner in the corner and I don't mind losing if my character doesn't applaud :)

However, his Melee BAir was truly awesome (without it I might as well have only used shadowballs and fairs), and it was so encoded into my muscle memory that I still throw it out late all the time in Sm4sh. Its the one thing I miss, and if they could make it so his hitboxes come out just a little bit sooner in the animation, Mewtwo would be pure devastation (WALL OF BAIR). Its not a lot to complain about when you consider all the buff he has had in Sm4sh, but I feel the BAir nerf so keenly.
I miss the old Bair so much but I see why they did it it would be op

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910

In general Mewtwo's tail moves in Melee were much much faster (uair, utilt, dtilt, bair). They're still some of his best moves now but they come out so much slower now compared to Melee. :<

If it's one thing I miss the most from Melee, it'd be u-throw to multiple fair combos on fast fallers... it was satisfying as hell to land

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
D'aw... You guys! Talking well about me when I'm not around! Man, I really fell off SmashBoards, didn't I? Ugh... Other stuff just sorta piled up. I've started writing a lot more, and I've actually got a story overdue to someone that I really need finish. I hope he isn't too upset with me... My life has just kept getting busier and busier, but I really do wanna spend more time on here. You all are fun to chat with!

Anyhow, I don't really have much to say in the way of Mewtwo's recent buffs, since I haven't played Smash in awhile. That's probably another contributing factor to my disappearance, but I digress. They do seem pretty amazing, and it's nice that people are finally starting to give Mewtwo the respect he deserves. Mewtwo's speed, in particular, seems to be crazy-high now, and I'll definitely make sure to check him out some time soon.

On a still-Mewtwo-related-but-not-Smash-4-related note, I got Pokkén Tournament two weeks ago, and I love Mewtwo in it! I think he's supposed to fit into the "lightning bruiser" archetype, as he's very fast and has a both a strong projectile game and a strong up-close game; Mewtwo's primary weakness in Pokkén Tournament is his slowly filling Synergy Gauge, a weakness that is exacerbated by the fact that he uses Synergy when he uses his Special Attacks. I don't generally mind, though, and Jirachi & Whimsicott with the Standard Cheer Skill help alleviate some of my trouble with it. Shadow Mewtwo, on the other hand, doesn't really click with me. His self-damaging Special Attacks and low HP make him less enjoyable to use than Mewtwo, in my opinion, so I definitely prefer Mewtwo to Shadow Mewtwo, personally.

Also, I believe Spirst Spirst and I bumped into each other online in Pokkén Tournament and played two Mewtwo dittos! We each won one round. GGs! Finally, C3CC C3CC :
Best wishes to you on your future endeavors!

Last edited:

Spirst

U-Throw U-Throw Indeed that was me. GGS.

I actually main Shadow Mewtwo and use Mewtwo as a secondary but I've been wanting to spend more time with the latter since I think he's one of the best characters in the game hands down. He's durable, unlike Emotwo, yet has really strong options regardless and his specials with the exception of hyper beam all resist hitstun and can power through some moves/counters/grabs with ease. Psystrike in particular is ridiculously good. His weakness is supposed to be the Synergy gauge buildup but I don't think it's even a big deal since he can make do just fine without it and get it in round 3 anyway.

Emotwo is much more fragile than OG Mewtwo but he has more setups and can get burst like twice in one round. I use Emotwo majority of the time but prefer Mewtwo for heavy zoning players trying to rely on my self-damage and chip damage to take me down.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
U-Throw U-Throw Indeed that was me. GGS.

I actually main Shadow Mewtwo and use Mewtwo as a secondary but I've been wanting to spend more time with the latter since I think he's one of the best characters in the game hands down. He's durable, unlike Emotwo, yet has really strong options regardless and his specials with the exception of hyper beam all resist hitstun and can power through some moves/counters/grabs with ease. Psystrike in particular is ridiculously good. His weakness is supposed to be the Synergy gauge buildup but I don't think it's even a big deal since he can make do just fine without it and get it in round 3 anyway.

Emotwo is much more fragile than OG Mewtwo but he has more setups and can get burst like twice in one round. I use Emotwo majority of the time but prefer Mewtwo for heavy zoning players trying to rely on my self-damage and chip damage to take me down.
If only he had all this in smash bros

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Well, except for Melee Confusion causing very specific gimps, but yeah.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
And melee disable could shoot midair opponents offstage, so it wasn't completely useless.

Sometimes, I play Project M 3.6 Mewtwo while listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.
Then I get a little sad. (No, not because I missed a Teleport)

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
And melee disable could shoot midair opponents offstage, so it wasn't completely useless.

Sometimes, I play Project M 3.6 Mewtwo while listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.
Then I get a little sad. (No, not because I missed a Teleport)
It's okay man its OK

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
I went on the "case for professor pro" article for smash summit 2 and commented "Snake! Snake! Snaaaake!"

I feel like such a savage

EDIT: if mewtwo had the glitch custom down b that was patched out instead of disable would anyone use it?

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I went on the "case for professor pro" article for smash summit 2 and commented "Snake! Snake! Snaaaake!"

I feel like such a savage

EDIT: if mewtwo had the glitch custom down b that was patched out instead of disable would anyone use it?
Awesome maybe snake will magically pop up in bayo's spot no one likes her ;) and I would totally use it as disable is garbage anyway

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
This is off topic but it looks like the theme for this April Fool's day is Fire Emblem. I was kinda expecting to see the Shaq Boards again. :yeahboi:

I have the same profile image. Are these warriors from the outrealms?
but seriously I don't know FE what is going on
At least it's not the whole site turning into pink osu theme

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Who the **** am I?

I play Fire Emblem but don't remember who this is. Edwards perhaps? No wonder I forgot.

Top Bottom