• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4QnDY5Qu3g

This video's comments are the prime example of the stigma Mewtwo has. They blame Mewtwo alone for the loss when he was against Nairo's ZSS of all things, and Blue was playing surprisingly poorly in this set.

(Although I won't lie, Mewtwo vs. ZSS is a really poor match up)
YouTube comments are usually toxic anyways.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I think you mean, like, "grinds my gears," "ticks me off," "peeves me," etc. Otherwise, 420quickscoper X Wii Fit Trainer is OTP. i'm sorry i'm joking please don't hurt me

IN OTHER NEWS, NEW FOOTAGE OF REGULAR MEWTWO IN POKKEN! It's at the very end of the video. I must say, Mewtwo has never looked this good before.

MMX and Shadow M2 2016

"Raaaaggh. Faarraaghh. Feeaaagh. Raaaghhh."

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4QnDY5Qu3g

This video's comments are the prime example of the stigma Mewtwo has. They blame Mewtwo alone for the loss when he was against Nairo's ZSS of all things, and Blue was playing surprisingly poorly in this set.

(Although I won't lie, Mewtwo vs. ZSS is a really poor match up)
Let them mock Mewtwo. It'll only just make it more surprising when he shadow ball's their main's face in. Underestimating any character in Smash 4 is a huge mistake.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Let them mock Mewtwo. It'll only just make it more surprising when he shadow ball's their main's face in. Underestimating any character in Smash 4 is a huge mistake.
YES.

Smash 4 is the first where the tiers are much closer together in practical terms. Each character has one or two tricks that can cause an upset when properly applied, which makes for a pretty well balanced game.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I've faced quite a few ZSS' with Mewtwo and each with various skill ranges, but what I noticed for the most part ZSS players tend to rush down or play at mid-range, since her close-quarters game is actually nothing special. Playing defensively with Mewtwo is pretty much mandatory against ZSS so space with his Shadowball and punish accordingly.

Funny you mention that. At my local scene I actually won a tourney last month only going Mewtwo and I almost lost to a Diddy and Shiek player now maybe I was just out playing all of them or I got lucky but one thing people need to learn is never sleep on a character. Just because a certain character is placed somewhere on a tier list ( especially low ) doesn't mean that specific character can never win a game... And trust me people saw me choose Mewtwo and laughed assuming they pretty much had a "Free game" lol the look on those faces PRICELESS....

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
YES.

Smash 4 is the first where the tiers are much closer together in practical terms. Each character has one or two tricks that can cause an upset when properly applied, which makes for a pretty well balanced game.
Well... that describes 64 as well.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Yeah, I'd say 64 is pretty balanced aside from some really stupid oversights (Jigglypuff losing height on her jumps?). It's way more impressive how balanced this game is though considering there's 58 characters over 64's 12.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm starting to get super hyped for Pokken. I don't really like how the pokemon look in their renders, but when I see actual gameplay footage, they all just look so amazing.

I decided day one when Suicune announced that I'm going to be maining it, and I think I'm going to stick to it. I just love the way it moves. Sorry Charizard, sorry Mewtwo, but I already use plenty you in Smash.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I've yet to decide who to use in Pokken. None of my favourite Pokemon are in and I only have a rough idea of who all has been confirmed in it as is. Hoping it'll ease me into more traditional fighters. I played Soul Calibur V when it was new cuz my cousin bought it and we played it for maybe 2 weeks tops before going to other games and never looking back. Was debating getting Mortal Kombat X for PS4 but my cousin lacks interest in it and I'd rather not be stuck with ai and online play. Never had interest in the Street Fighter or Tekken series.

From what I've read, playing other fighters helps with Smash too, psychologically.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm sticking with Mewtwo in Pokken Tournament. Maybe Dark Mewtwo as well. I'm most likely going to play random a lot though. I already do that with Smash.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
For me, Gardevoir's reveal was basically a repeat of Mewtwo's Smash reveal.
"INSTANT MAIN"
Honestly, I love Gardevoir so much. It's easily my 2nd favorite Pokemon, beaten out by Hydreigon. I haven't seen much Pokken gameplay at all, so experiencing Gardevoir will be like experiencing Mewtwo all over again.
I'm super hyped for Pokken and I can't wait until it comes out.

Furret24

Smash Master
Personally, i'm going to wait until I get my hands on Pokken before choosing a main.
:162:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
As one member has been using one here, D throw to nothing to disable is kinda fun reading their airdodge. Landed a few today.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
As one member has been using one here, D throw to nothing to disable is kinda fun reading their airdodge. Landed a few today.
Ah yes, I do that all the time. So much fun when they realize the mistake they've made. I've even managed to do it in a tournament. You could also empty-hop fast fall Disable since they'll think you're attacking and airdodge instead of jumping away.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I love this too, especially when I fake them out with something stylish and read them correctly. It's too bad that most good players just jump away though.

I'm not sure who I'll use in Pokken or if I'll even play it seriously. It could be Mewtwo, but I'll also move around the roster and see who fits me comfortably, just like Smash.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When I get Pokken Tournament I'll probably be using Sceptile because I like Grass types, and Lucario for his most likely all-roundedness.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I plan on watching hype Pokken stuff on YouTube :p

Maybe one day I'll get a new Wii U. Mine won't even power on. I mean, you know, besides the fact that I have no TV or the $60 for the game, either :p

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Its a bit easier to balance games that have fewer characters, but you are correct. 64 was very well balanced indeed. Fewer playstyle archetypes means that each character serves its purpose well...

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Shoutout to U-throw for the 18 notifications I had when getting on today.

I have no clue who I want to main in Pokken....I WOULD MAIN MEWTWO BUT NOOOOOO THEY HAD TO GIVE BOTH VERSIONS THE X MEGA! (#salty)

Maybe Gardevoir or one of the Ghost types. Potentially Libre but idk.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I plan on maining either Mewtwo or Shadow Mewtwo in Pokkén Tournament. It depends on which one I find more fun to play as, and, seeing as Mewtwo is Standard while Shadow Mewtwo is Technical, I'm definitely leaning toward Shadow Mewtwo. I normally dislike playing as characters that are average in all areas, so, to me, Mewtwo might feel a little boring to play as. I mean, if Mewtwo was the only form of Mewtwo in Pokkén Tournament, I'd probably be willing to overlook his Standard classification, but, since Shadow Mewtwo is also an available choice, I might wind up using the latter.

That said, Shadow Mewtwo also appears to use several moves taken from other characters, such as Reflect from Gardevoir, Flamethrower from Charizard, Earthquake from Garchomp, and Thunder from Pikachu, while Mewtwo has his very own moveset consisting of more "Mewtwo-ish" moves, like Hyper Beam, Psycho Cut, Focus Blast, and the Elemental Punches. Granted, Shadow Mewtwo also has Psywave, which appears to be a highly versatile move unique to him, but Mewtwo's moveset consists of entirely unique moves. If Shadow Mewtwo feels more like a conglomerate of other characters than a form of Mewtwo himself, then I'll definitely wind up using Mewtwo. The latter's ability to link Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch together, in particular, really stands out as interesting, in my opinion. Of course, Shadow Mewtwo's Psywave has, like, 5 different ways to attack, so that's quite interesting, too...

The point is, I'm super-indecisive right now, so it's probably best to wait until I get my hands on the game before making my decision:p. Aside from Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo, Chandelure looks fun, as well, especially since his Burst Attack is basically murdering you. I highly doubt I'll main him, though.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I plan on maining either Mewtwo or Shadow Mewtwo in Pokkén Tournament. It depends on which one I find more fun to play as, and, seeing as Mewtwo is Standard while Shadow Mewtwo is Technical, I'm definitely leaning toward Shadow Mewtwo. I normally dislike playing as characters that are average in all areas, so, to me, Mewtwo might feel a little boring to play as. I mean, if Mewtwo was the only form of Mewtwo in Pokkén Tournament, I'd probably be willing to overlook his Standard classification, but, since Shadow Mewtwo is also an available choice, I might wind up using the latter.

That said, Shadow Mewtwo also appears to use several moves taken from other characters, such as Reflect from Gardevoir, Flamethrower from Charizard, Earthquake from Garchomp, and Thunder from Pikachu, while Mewtwo has his very own moveset consisting of more "Mewtwo-ish" moves, like Hyper Beam, Psycho Cut, Focus Blast, and the Elemental Punches. Granted, Shadow Mewtwo also has Psywave, which appears to be a highly versatile move unique to him, but Mewtwo's moveset consists of entirely unique moves. If Shadow Mewtwo feels more like a conglomerate of other characters than a form of Mewtwo himself, then I'll definitely wind up using Mewtwo. The latter's ability to link Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch together, in particular, really stands out as interesting, in my opinion. Of course, Shadow Mewtwo's Psywave has, like, 5 different ways to attack, so that's quite interesting, too...

The point is, I'm super-indecisive right now, so it's probably best to wait until I get my hands on the game before making my decision:p. Aside from Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo, Chandelure looks fun, as well, especially since his Burst Attack is basically murdering you. I highly doubt I'll main him, though.
Fun Fact and I actually noticed this being an avid Tekken Player. Each Pokemon in Pokken Tournament has a move or 2 similar to a Character from the Tekken series such as Pikachu's ground spin kick and uppercut combo ( Heihachi ) among a few others, but it's hard to notice with all the flashy stuff happening on screen lol.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Fun Fact and I actually noticed this being an avid Tekken Player. Each Pokemon in Pokken Tournament has a move or 2 similar to a Character from the Tekken series such as Pikachu's ground spin kick and uppercut combo ( Heihachi ) among a few others, but it's hard to notice with all the flashy stuff happening on screen lol.
I think the guy behind the game mentioned that they applied Tekken moves to each of the characters in an interview with GameXplain...

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
My devotion to our fair lady (Both of them) will remain true in Pokke'n.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
About to start my third real tournament as a Mewtwo main. Wish me luck guys!

("MEWTWO IS SOOO LIGHT!" Has been already been said 3 times to me so I'm livid).

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor

("MEWTWO IS SOOO LIGHT!" Has been already been said 3 times to me so I'm livid).
Aye good luck on your tourny, don't listen to those people, all you should worry about is how many stocks you wanna take when you meet them in bracket.

Let me introduce myself, I never posted on here before I've just been a resident lurker in the guides jotting down notes until now. I main Mewtwo and I secondary MK. I've been pretty much an online fiend since 3ds, before played on FG and now playing on anthers. Joined here to find kinship in my people and hoping to find some people to spar with and grow our Test Tube Titan's metagame.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Aye good luck on your tourny, don't listen to those people, all you should worry about is how many stocks you wanna take when you meet them in bracket.

Let me introduce myself, I never posted on here before I've just been a resident lurker in the guides jotting down notes until now. I main Mewtwo and I secondary MK. I've been pretty much an online fiend since 3ds, before played on FG and now playing on anthers. Joined here to find kinship in my people and hoping to find some people to spar with and grow our Test Tube Titan's metagame.
Welcome! It's kinda cool seeing all these new faces lately.

Let the annoyance fuel your rage.

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
Welcome FlameEmperor. That's a pretty badass name.

My first Pokémon ever was :155:, and I named it something similar to that back in the day. :shades:

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
Welcome FlameEmperor. That's a pretty badass name.

My first Pokémon ever was :155:, and I named it something similar to that back in the day. :shades:
Me also! My first Pokemon was a :004: and I suppose the nickname Flame managed to find its way into my name later on.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Whenever someone dismisses Mewtwo solely on the weight, don't get angry. You don't want to be filled with rage when battling as it will be a distraction. Instead, use it as an excuse to prove yourself and Mewtwo's viability. If they get beaten, those jeers will turn into either shock or praise. Both of those are satisfying for different reasons.

Repeat this for any character that has an obvious weakness that people bring up that makes people think the character is an easy win.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
First game I went against a Greninja player who destroyed me.

Second game I played a Corrin and destroyed him.

Third game a DK destroyed me.

I felt destroyed...

Then we had friendlies and doubles and I felt alot better but geez.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
First game I went against a Greninja player who destroyed me.

Second game I played a Corrin and destroyed him.

Third game a DK destroyed me.

I felt destroyed...

Then we had friendlies and doubles and I felt alot better but geez.
If it makes you feel better, I have yet to win a tourney match as M2. Nope, every single game I used him has gone to last stock last hit. Needless to say I get too ancy and choke.

Anyways, my matchup list for M2 that I ballparked.
Screenshot_2016-02-19-22-21-51.png

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
If it makes you feel better, I have yet to win a tourney match as M2. Nope, every single game I used him has gone to last stock last hit. Needless to say I get too ancy and choke.

Anyways, my matchup list for M2 that I ballparked.View attachment 97876
I appreciate you trying, but I have some disagreements. Namely, Mewtwo, I feel, does not beat or go even with DK, Corrin, Greninja or Little Mac (an actually good Mac). I also think Mewtwo does decent against Sonic, all things considered. And I know Kirby is hard to grab and hit, but Mewtwo has far more range and speed, so... Mewtwo vs. Rosalina is pretty decent; I think putting it as 45:55 is fine, but it's definitely not worse than that unless you're playing Dabuz himself.

Everything else is debatable but looks plausible.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
My last few friendlies of the night were with a Wario main and we were fairly even at the beginning but by the time we left I had 2 stocked him multiple times in a row.

I don't know whether to be happy or upset after today. On one hand I got destroyed in tournament again (placing one place worse than last time) but on the other I clearly proved that I can be competent as a player.

Top Bottom