• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I guess you could say that, yep. Lucina is a close 2nd for most disliked in the game, Roy at least has a few different things (but not enough to warrant a purchase imo)
Well, Roy feels a lot different from Marth in practice. More different than you'd actually think by looking. It's kind of like a Ganondorf / Captain Falcon scenario.

DLC is a expensive, so I totally respect your decision not to buy him if he doesn't seem that interesting to you. I just thought I'd mention that he's more different than you'd think.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I'd be a hypocrite if I said sexualized character designs bother me. Our fair lady generally doesn't wear clothes :3c

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
So who did you guys main before Mewtwo released? I was personally a Mega Man main and I used Captain Falcon as a secondary.

Browny

Smash Hater
The over sexualization of characters and the "cleavage" issues get under my skin a lot more than violence.

I find it disgusting how people will rabidly defend it. In anime and video games its just outrageous.

One or two characters here and there is fine but games like Street Fighter? Anime like No Game No Life? Stop. Please. Its degrading.

I don't know why I'm one of the 5 dudes on earth who are against it but it gets on my nerves man.

Do dudes find it acceptable to have male characters with bulging crotches? ****ing no. But oh its completely different when it comes to women in media. Why?

"Because **** you thats why."
Actually, its not a case of guys not finding it acceptable they just dont care about it to make it an issue. Big difference.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/799/121/13f.jpg

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I was going to comment on this subject of violence, but I couldn't get my thoughts out in a way I liked, despite spending an hour trying to, so you get this run-on sentence instead.
:162:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In regards to Death Battle's violence... I don't find it that gory for the most part. Most of the time the bloodiness only happens at the end, and it's not unheard of for there to be no gore whatsoever (Akuma vs. Shang Tsung, Wonder Woman vs. Rogue, Kirby vs. Buu etc.). Whenever things do get noticeably violent, it's usually characters that were from M-rated stuff to begin with (Raiden vs. Wolverine, Snake vs. Sam Fisher, pretty much any famous comic book character...). So, it's not like ludicrous violence is a key aspect of the show.

It IS odd how uncharacteristically violent they make Pokemon battles though. But then, so does the manga.

And about sexuality, it's important to look at the bigger picture instead of simply crying foul whenever breasts and such are noticeably present, namely "is sexiness really all this character/series has to offer". It's telling when people were more bothered by Other M Samus's character than her increased cup size. Who says a character can't be awesome and look nice too? It's pretty much Bayonetta's whole schtick.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I'm...not a violent person. I hate physical contact as is, and I really couldn't bring myself to hurt someone I absolutely despise.
But if someone I cared about was being threatened...I think I'd use force. I would still be hesitant to cut them - knives actually make me extremely nervous - but I don't think I'd think twice about throwing my full body's weight into someone and wrestle with them if it was to protect a family member. The arrows match the setting and whatnot, and it's censored. It's not pleasant, but it gets the point it wants to get across effectively. And most of the violence in that game isn't that bad.

The cleavage, on the other hand, is clearly the pathetic cash grab you speak of. No doubt about it.
So who did you guys main before Mewtwo released? I was personally a Mega Man main and I used Captain Falcon as a secondary.
Before Mewtwo, I primarily used :4villagerf:, :4pacman:, :4lucina:, and :4lucario:. After Mewtwo, I pretty much dropped everyone and solo-mained :4mewtwo:.
Now here I am, maining :4mewtwo: and :4dedede: with a pocket :4corrinf:. We've come a long way since launch.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Before Mewtwo, I primarily used :4villagerf:, :4pacman:, :4lucina:, and :4lucario:. After Mewtwo, I pretty much dropped everyone and solo-mained :4mewtwo:.
Now here I am, maining :4mewtwo: and :4dedede: with a pocket :4corrinf:. We've come a long way since launch.
When you refer to Corrin as a pocket character, what does that mean? Is it just a character that you use for bad match ups?

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
You know what's even worse? 12-13 year old kids watching it. It just irritates me. I saw a guy who was watching all the Mortal Kombat X fatalities.

It disgusts me.
I think people have a fascination with 'extreme' things. It gets a visceral reaction out of people deep down, perhaps a mixture of fascination and disgust. Like how (some) people enjoy being scared by horror films, others seem to enjoy seeing how far violence can go in its depiction while still in a clearly fictional setting - I won't speak for people who actually enjoy violence that is clearly real, because that is the most disturbing thing.

Now, even things like Mortal Kombat can, believe it or not, be separated as 'not real violence', or fake violence, by many people. I think that as long as people can keep reality and fiction in two clearly separate categories, we're in a better situation. I can't deny that desensitization is a thing, though. I'm fairly certain I've become subject to its effects, though I am still speaking about violence depicted in works of fiction. I think I'd be sick if I saw somebody get stabbed irl. The thought disturbs me... a lot.

I believe extreme violence is basically a very cheap, easy appeal to some basic, deep part of our lizard brains. It gets a reaction, the people who draw it out are egged on from the reaction and decide to make more to see how much more of a reaction they can get. This means there's always a race among some people to top what's been done before (see: Mortal Kombat, Saw movies, etc.).

What I find fascinating is how the Motion Picture Association of America's ratings board will allow for somebody to be graphically beaten, shot, set on fire, stabbed, etc. in a movie while still letting it maintain a lesser rating, while in that same movie they come down hard, like a hammer of JUSTICE, upon how many nipples are shown in the same film.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think people have a fascination with 'extreme' things. It gets a visceral reaction out of people deep down, perhaps a mixture of fascination and disgust. Like how (some) people enjoy being scared by horror films, others seem to enjoy seeing how far violence can go in its depiction while still in a clearly fictional setting - I won't speak for people who actually enjoy violence that is clearly real, because that is the most disturbing thing.

Now, even things like Mortal Kombat can, believe it or not, be separated as 'not real violence', or fake violence, by many people. I think that as long as people can keep reality and fiction in two clearly separate categories, we're in a better situation. I can't deny that desensitization is a thing, though. I'm fairly certain I've become subject to its effects, though I am still speaking about violence depicted in works of fiction. I think I'd be sick if I saw somebody get stabbed irl. The thought disturbs me... a lot.

I believe extreme violence is basically a very cheap, easy appeal to some basic, deep part of our lizard brains. It gets a reaction, the people who draw it out are egged on from the reaction and decide to make more to see how much more of a reaction they can get. This means there's always a race among some people to top what's been done before (see: Mortal Kombat, Saw movies, etc.).

What I find fascinating is how the Motion Picture Association of America's ratings board will allow for somebody to be graphically beaten, shot, set on fire, stabbed, etc. in a movie while still letting it maintain a lesser rating, while in that same movie they come down hard, like a hammer of JUSTICE, upon how many nipples are shown in the same film.
When it comes to violence, only the end result matters in Censorship Land. It doesn't matter how painful or gruesome a blow characters sustain, if they're not spewing blood everywhere or showing organs/bones and/or the character can still move it's A-OK. There's a reason ESRB has a subsection for violence called "Cartoon Violence". When Wile E. Coyote, a kid's cartoon character gets mauled by a jaguar, he doesn't start bleeding out, but is simply cut into ribbons and is right as rain in the next scene.

It's also why explosions are popular in action movies, when characters aren't being harmlessly blown back by them, the people they do kill are vaporized and leave no ugly corpse to traumatize moviegoers. Stab and gunshot wounds can also be hidden fairly easily.

But boobs? Breasts are breasts, no matter if they're real, cgi or hand-drawn.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
When you refer to Corrin as a pocket character, what does that mean? Is it just a character that you use for bad match ups?
Mhm. Corrin covers quite a few of the bad matchups that Dedede can't handle imo and is pretty fun to play too

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
During the dark, depressing times I looked towards Miis, Iggy Koopa, and Dark Pit for comfort.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Before Mewtwo's release, I mostly used Ike, DK, and Lucina/Marth. Same as my lesser characters today. I also used Rosalina and Charizard a bit more than I do now.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Before Mewtwo, I mained Ness. I still use him if I feel like I could potentially lose to someone as Mewtwo.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
For some reason when I started playing Mewtwo seriously, I decided to drop Mega Man and Captain Falcon. For Mega Man, it always seemed like he was too overly technical once you got serious with him, and it eventually stopped being fun for me to use him when you had to work extra hard for reward that wasn't even guaranteed. He just didn't feel satisfying or fun for me anymore. For Falcon, I felt like he got old and he kind of did the same thing all the time. Plus, it feels like the For Glory population completely ruined his fun factor for me that he used to have for me back then. That's why I mained him (or secondaried him in Brawl). Maybe I'll pick up these guys sometime in the future, but for now, I'm pretty comfortable with Mewtwo.

I might main Mewtwo and secondary Mac now, but I actually consider myself to be good enough with a lot of characters in the game. It's never fun for me to use just one or two characters all the time, so I'll always switch to characters I enjoy the playstyles of, even if I don't necessarily main them. Not counting Mewtwo and Mac, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Charizard, Marth, Ike, Roy, Lucina, WFT, Dr. Mario, Samus, ZSS, Captain Falcon, Falco, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta are all characters I enjoy the playstyles of and I play all of them for fun here and there.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I mained :4lucina: then :4dedede: then :4metaknight: for the longest time and then :4mewtwo: and finally :4robinf:. Probably gonna change again at some point. I'm lost without my good ol' Wolf </3

Furret24

Smash Master
Before Mewtwo's release, I mained Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Pac-Man, Kirby, Duck Hunt.

Now, I main Mr. Game and Watch and Yoshi, occasionally using Duck Hunt and Sonic as well.

TL;DR: I don't main Mewtwo.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Before Mewtwo's release, I mained Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Pac-Man, Kirby, Duck Hunt.

Now, I main Mr. Game and Watch and Yoshi, occasionally using Duck Hunt and Sonic as well.

That's fine. I don't discriminate against 2-D mains :p

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

That's okay. That just means our social thread is popular for being active. :cool:

D

Deleted member

Since people were talking about this earlier I'll give my two cents.

Before I picked up Mewtwo I've been maining :4dedede: since day 1 on 3DS, and still am. I toyed around with :4mii:, :4falcon:, :4ganondorf:, :4littlemac:and :4kirby:. I hated Mewtwo when he was released, but started getting interested in him again after I saw what people were doing with him in the following months. Him getting buffs in December just made me jump full ship for me to play Mewtwo seriously. He's a great secondary.

I'll also do the most frequented characters thing for those who wanna see:

upload_2016-2-17_20-41-8.png

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I'm too lazy to make my own list, but just going to say something right quick:
I'm pretty much a loyalist.

About 80-90% of the cast I don't play. Mewtwo is just so unorthodox compared to pretty much everyone honestly. I like to play the following:

Mewtwo (Main)
Cloud (Main)
Ganondorf (Secondary)

I have other characters I like to play with funsies but there's not many. The rest I just never really play.

I also despise Wii Fit Trainer so much. She's my very most hated character in the game and it's for two reasons:
-I hate her play style.
-I don't even have two cents on how she plays at all.
-Most of the time I forget she's in the game.
-I don't even have a memory of what her whole moveset is. I have a vivid memory of the animations of almost all characters in the game's moves. And this one? Not really.
-It's down to pure RNG, but whenever I go randoms for fun, it seems like I always will get this character sometime and it really jerks me off.

Furret24

Smash Master
Since people were talking about this earlier I'll give my two cents.

Before I picked up Mewtwo I've been maining :4dedede: since day 1 on 3DS, and still am. I toyed around with :4mii:, :4falcon:, :4ganondorf:, :4littlemac:and :4kirby:. I hated Mewtwo when he was released, but started getting interested in him again after I saw what people were doing with him in the following months. Him getting buffs in December just made me jump full ship for me to play Mewtwo seriously. He's a great secondary.

I'll also do the most frequented characters thing for those who wanna see:
As a Duck Hunt main, this offends me.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's down to pure RNG, but whenever I go randoms for fun, it seems like I always will get this character sometime and it really jerks me off.
I think you mean, like, "grinds my gears," "ticks me off," "peeves me," etc. Otherwise, 420quickscoper X Wii Fit Trainer is OTP. i'm sorry i'm joking please don't hurt me

IN OTHER NEWS, NEW FOOTAGE OF REGULAR MEWTWO IN POKKEN! It's at the very end of the video. I must say, Mewtwo has never looked this good before.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think you mean, like, "grinds my gears," "ticks me off," "peeves me," etc. Otherwise, 420quickscoper X Wii Fit Trainer is OTP. i'm sorry i'm joking please don't hurt me
I ship it.
IN OTHER NEWS, NEW FOOTAGE OF REGULAR MEWTWO IN POKKEN! It's at the very end of the video. I must say, Mewtwo has never looked this good before.
I mean, I'd agree, but I'm not a fan of either Mega Mewtwo form...

But oh my gosh, what was that move Shadow Mewtwo did at the end? I thought all of them were pretty over the top in an awesome way, but Shadow Mewtwo's is just plain crazy. This is like Hyrule Warriors all over again.

Browny

Smash Hater
Its honestly an American thing. PLENTY of films that come out of Europe and Asia treat nudity as a non-issue, even full-on nudity, but they come down hard on violence.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Congratulations to @RichBrown for getting 2nd at Fire & Dice after an intense Grand Finals with bracket reset! Damn, when Rich like cried out in pure rage, I got so pumped. Even though Rich Brown played evcellently, K9 is no joke, though. You'll get him next time, man!

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Congratulations to @RichBrown for getting 2nd at Fire & Dice after an intense Grand Finals with bracket reset! Damn, when Rich like cried out in pure rage, I got so pumped. Even though Rich Brown played evcellently, K9 is no joke, though. You'll get him next time, man!

That was awesome O.O

It looked like they were playing a different game from what I'm used to. The intensity was real.

Too bad he lost. He made alot of good plays.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
That was awesome O.O

It looked like they were playing a different game from what I'm used to. The intensity was real.
Yeah, no kidding. If I ever played a game that fast paced, I would of lost my cool and started mashing the R-button. I kind of felt inadequate watching those guys play.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah, no kidding. If I ever played a game that fast paced, I would of lost my cool and started mashing the R-button. I kind of felt inadequate watching those guys play.
If I were the Mewtwo against K9's Shiek I doubt I could get more than a single stock through all those matches.

Which is exciting to me to be honest. Gives me all the more reason to force myself to improve. You don't get better by feeling inadequate! :)

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
We had that talk about excessive violence earlier and I just got back from watching Deadpool with my cousin, fully unaware of the amount of blood that was gonna be shown. Seems obvious in hindsight but the only thing I know about Deadpool is that he's funny. Didn't mind the movie overall. Comedy was the true highlight though.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4QnDY5Qu3g

This video's comments are the prime example of the stigma Mewtwo has. They blame Mewtwo alone for the loss when he was against Nairo's ZSS of all things, and Blue was playing surprisingly poorly in this set.

(Although I won't lie, Mewtwo vs. ZSS is a really poor match up)

Last edited:
Top Bottom