• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just ask for money. Last time I trust my family to get gifts for me I got Mortal Kombat 2 on the Sega Genesis when I didn't even have a Sega Genesis at the time.
Even if I just asked for money, my mom would mostly just buy things anyway. She can't help herself during the Christmas season. I just drop some oh-so-subtle hints as to what I really want, and I'm bound to get it.

...Don't think I'm spoiled, though. That's only around Christmas and my birthday. Otherwise, she usually expects me to do something in return(clean up the yard, help reorganize the living room, get good grades, be patient and don't pester her until payday, yadayada).
I stopped getting presents sometime in elementary school. My birthday is the week before Christmas, and I'm told to buy my own cake...
Ouch.
I mean, I get that money is tight for some families, but at the very least I'd assume most could skill afford some cake mix once or twice a year.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Ouch.
I mean, I get that money is tight for some families, but at the very least I'd assume most could skill afford some cake mix once or twice a year.
It isn't an issue of being tight with money. My mom's just pretty stingy with money. Before I got a job it was because she figures I should just pick my own cake. Now she expects me to pay for everything myself.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Hello Mewtwos, it's been a while. I kind of retired from Smashboards, but I'm just popping in with some minor news.

Kings of the North 4, a regional up here in WI, took place this last weekend. 122 entrants for Smash 4, with PR from WI, MN, Chicago, and even Cali (Falln and DSS) in attendance. MJG (who won singles) was also there.

I placed 17th, going all Mewtwo in singles. I was a hair away from Top 16 but I lost to Moti's killer Bowser Jr. in game 3. (Side note: Every single game I played in bracket went to game 3. That was a roller coaster day)

Unfortunately my only appearance on stream for singles was me getting bopped by BigMak in pools, but c'est la vie. Someday I'll swallow that stream spaghetti.

That got me thinking though; if I'm not mistaken, I think that's the highest placing by a solo Mewtwo for a regional or higher-level tournament? Or am I wrong?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Hello Mewtwos, it's been a while. I kind of retired from Smashboards, but I'm just popping in with some minor news.

Kings of the North 4, a regional up here in WI, took place this last weekend. 122 entrants for Smash 4, with PR from WI, MN, Chicago, and even Cali (Falln and DSS) in attendance. MJG (who won singles) was also there.

I placed 17th, going all Mewtwo in singles. I was a hair away from Top 16 but I lost to Moti's killer Bowser Jr. in game 3. (Side note: Every single game I played in bracket went to game 3. That was a roller coaster day)

Unfortunately my only appearance on stream for singles was me getting bopped by BigMak in pools, but c'est la vie. Someday I'll swallow that stream spaghetti.

That got me thinking though; if I'm not mistaken, I think that's the highest placing by a solo Mewtwo for a regional or higher-level tournament? Or am I wrong?
That's cool to hear! Congrats to 17th Place! I would have wanted to see some of the matches!

As for highest placing Mewtwo at a event i think it's Trela who got to 2nd Place going solo Mewtwo at TGC where there were 137 participants. He lost to GrimTurtle who placed 1st.

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
That's cool to hear! Congrats to 17th Place! I would have wanted to see some of the matches!

As for highest placing Mewtwo at a event i think it's Trela who got to 2nd Place going solo Mewtwo at TGC where there were 137 participants. He lost to GrimTurtle who placed 1st.
Oh wow, I knew about that tournament but I didn't think it was a regional. Trela 2 good.

Oh well, 17th wouldn't have been a very high bar to set anyway. Hopefully I'll make it to another big tournament soon and aim higher.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Oh wow, I knew about that tournament but I didn't think it was a regional. Trela 2 good.

Oh well, 17th wouldn't have been a very high bar to set anyway. Hopefully I'll make it to another big tournament soon and aim higher.
Keep popping in with updates! It's great to hear of Mewtwo's doing well in tournaments!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I have infiltrated the Mewtwo forums... Yes... Now no one can stop my diabolical plans to write an awesome article about Mewtwo!

You guys may have seen my article with the 'Zelda Experts' well there's been quite a few requests to do the same for Mewtwo. So I'm here to ask who the best Mewtwo mains for the job would be! People who've had good results, are power ranked, whatever you can think of. Got some names for me guys? I already got RayNoire but I need a few more :)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have infiltrated the Mewtwo forums... Yes... Now no one can stop my diabolical plans to write an awesome article about Mewtwo!

You guys may have seen my article with the 'Zelda Experts' well there's been quite a few requests to do the same for Mewtwo. So I'm here to ask who the best Mewtwo mains for the job would be! People who've had good results, are power ranked, whatever you can think of. Got some names for me guys? I already got RayNoire but I need a few more :)
ermahgerd it's Smashcapps sign my ****

Remember me? Probably not, but ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed says she's one of the best players in her tourneys

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

Awesome! I'd love to see Mewtwo get more publicity! This is making me giddy...

Anywho, in addition to the aforementioned ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed , @MewSquared has gotten some pretty great tournament results, too, if I remember correctly. I'd give both of them a call.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill

Really cool idea to write a similiar article about Mewtwo! Many players seem totally unaware of what Mewtwo is capable of so hopefully it will spark interest in the character :)

I would recommend @MewSquared ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed and maybe @Trela Who i don't think conciders himself as a Mewtwo main, but have gotten good placings with Mewtwo

Then there's people like Browny Browny Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 and meleebrawler meleebrawler who is the most frequent posters on the Mewtwo boards and knows the techniques and theory behind the character very well, but im not sure about their tournament records.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm no tournament player, but I still put a lot of practice into the game I love the most. And although I'm not much for practicing advanced techniques or combos, I do pride myself on strong fundamental understanding of various characters.

Sonicninja115

@MewSquared and Speed shocker possibly. there is also Rich Brown apparently, and @Raykz

I play competitively, but I am not at the skill level I want to be at for tournaments. I am very knowledgeable about Mewtwo however, and I search for the technical aspects of characters while trying to get better. So yeah, that's my ten cents.

I would suggest talking to the technical players, but focusing on the tourney players. The tourney players can answer more of the questions that people want to hear. Exactly how viable is Mewtwo? Should I learn him? Is it worth it and such. While the technical players can give specifics and data as well as their general feel for the character..

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill Richbrown needs to be asked, he is really good with Mewtwo and also LoF Blue.

If you could get Abadango to say a few words that would be cool lol. Thanks for the mention Metalex. I don't post much on here anymore as to be honest, I feel like I've said everything I wanted to say and now the misconceptions that ran rampant throughout smashboards are dying off. People now know the difference between a hurtbox and z-depth, his uthrow being stronger than charizards and other things.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill Richbrown needs to be asked, he is really good with Mewtwo and also LoF Blue.

If you could get Abadango to say a few words that would be cool lol. Thanks for the mention Metalex. I don't post much on here anymore as to be honest, I feel like I've said everything I wanted to say and now the misconceptions that ran rampant throughout smashboards are dying off. People now know the difference between a hurtbox and z-depth, his uthrow being stronger than charizards and other things.
Charizard's is stronger x.x

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Charizard's is stronger x.x
I'm not very technical when comes to Smash Bros.'s frame data and stuff, but, according to Kurogane Hammer, Mewtwo's U-Throw U-Throw has a base knockback value of 72 while Charizard's has a base knockback value of 50, but Mewtwo's knockback growth on his U-Throw is 65 while Charizard's is 220. Now, I have no idea what all of that means precisely, but I think it's saying that Mewtwo's U-Throw has more knockback in general, but that Charizard's U-Throw reaches kill percentages faster because its growth rate is so much higher. I think that makes Charizard's more powerful because it kills earlier, but I'm standing on shaky ground right now. I could definitely use a second voice to back that notion up.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not very technical when comes to Smash Bros.'s frame data and stuff, but, according to Kurogane Hammer, Mewtwo's U-Throw U-Throw has a base knockback value of 72 while Charizard's has a base knockback value of 50, but Mewtwo's knockback growth on his U-Throw is 65 while Charizard's is 220. Now, I have no idea what all of that means precisely, but I think it's saying that Mewtwo's U-Throw has more knockback in general, but that Charizard's U-Throw reaches kill percentages faster because its growth rate is so much higher. I think that makes Charizard's more powerful because it kills earlier, but I'm standing on shaky ground right now. I could definitely use a second opinion to back that notion up.
Charizard's uthrow is stronger on paper, but it's knockback angle makes it very easy to DI and reduce it's effectiveness considerably. Whereas Mewtwo's launching them straight up is very difficult to DI. As it is Zard's only kills earlier if the victim DIs improperly or he has a huge amount of rage.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Charizard's uthrow is stronger on paper, but it's knockback angle makes it very easy to DI and reduce it's effectiveness considerably. Whereas Mewtwo's launching them straight up is very difficult to DI. As it is Zard's only kills earlier if the victim DIs improperly or he has a huge amount of rage.
Ah, OK. I was mistaken, then. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I wish I knew of casual tournaments where you don't have to pay to go in and it's purely just for fun.

Sonicninja115

People just need to stop complaining about his downsides and learn the character. I have no doubt that Mewtwo can be amazing at top level play. He isn't the best, but he is certainly viable.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Hey, guys. Finally got my Mewtwo amiibo. Didn't expect it too look this nice given how, er... low res? a lot of the other ones appear.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hey, guys. Finally got my Mewtwo amiibo. Didn't expect it too look this nice given how, er... low res? a lot of the other ones appear.
I've got a good handful of amiibo, and they all actually look really good.

People just gave them a bunch of crap because of unfaltering pictures that were floating around when they were released and because they didn't look quite as good as the original E3 models. They also include some really small details on a lot of them, such as textures on clothing and whatnot. You can feel the folds on Link's Tunic or Fox's Pants, and each of the individual feathers on Pit's wings.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Beauty is the only option when one makes a sculpture likeness of the fair lady...

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Yeah, I was gonna bring up how the E3/display models would inevitably look better than the mass-produced variants. It's just that I noticed a lot of the human characters (and a few others) looked a bit off-model or strange, whereas Mewtwo looks about as good if not better than some of my more expensive figurines. Then again, I assume it'd be easier to make a mutant cat thing look better in 3D than a detailed human.

Beauty is the only option when one makes a sculpture likeness of the fair lady...
See, I just got done with another playthrough of Dark Souls, so I keep thinking of Quelaag's sister every time you say "the fair lady".

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I just bought him as well. This was my first Amiibo.
Same. I honestly didn't buy into (literally and figuratively) the initial amiibo hype train, but I couldn't pass up Mewtwo, especially if he ends up being less common than the others. I also would like to eventually track down Meta Knight and Game & Watch. Would've gotten G&W sooner if they'd sold him on his own instead of that 3 pack I could never afford, but apparently he is sold on his own now.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The only amiibo I wanted when they were first announced was Ness. That was before we knew about Mewtwo being DLC. Now I have all the available Smash characters except for Ike, Robin, Lucina, Kirby, and Meta Knight.

Igzex

For me only one masterwork of perfection is enough.

Oh wait Pokken is coming with a Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card isn't it.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
For me only one masterwork of perfection is enough.

Oh wait Pokken is coming with a Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card isn't it.
Are you planning on getting it for the amiibo card of the dark version of your fair lady?

Igzex

More like to have another game in which I can administer punishment to heretics with an avatar of the fair lady.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Going to my first tournament tomorrow!!! Wish me luck guys. :D
I wish you only the best!! I would go to my local scene, however my parents don't like the fact that the tournaments start at 7:00 in the afternoon...
But I digress. Good luck!

:150:

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I wish you only the best!! I would go to my local scene, however my parents don't like the fact that the tournaments start at 7:00 in the afternoon...
But I digress. Good luck!

:150:
I consider 7:00PM night time and not afternoon.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I consider 7:00PM night time and not afternoon.
Whichever it is, 7:00 PM is too late... they host them weekly on Saturdays, why not sometime at like 1:00 or something? Ergh, whatever it is, I don't see myself going there unless I beg my parents so much they don't want to hear me anymore and let me go. Because of this, I'm pretty much limited to For Glory and friends.
R.I.P. me

Top Bottom