• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I know that people might have already figured this out, but regarding some of the gripes of Mega Mewtwo Y; despite its fragile appearance I think it makes sense as a forme upgrade because it fully embraces the concept of glass cannon to a much more extreme than base Mewtwo. It's body becomes smaller and slicker to adapt to the super speed it gains and the loss in mass happens to compensate for the extra special power. Also, remember how Mewtwo is a clone of Mew? Mewtwo Y resembles Mew more than the base form itself because it is smaller and simpler, so it can be seen as Mewtwo going back to its genetic roots. After all, Mew looks simple as well because its concept is based around the theory that all living being descend from a common, simple ancestor.
I can understand why they made some design choices for Mega Mewtwo Y. However, I can't disagree with them.

For one, Mewtwo was never truly a glass canon. 106/90/90 defenses are nothing to scoff at. While its true that Mewtwo's offensive stats are greater than his defensive stats, his defenses have never been so bad that they were considered a weakness. In fact, Mewtwo is pretty bulky.

But that's not my main problem. My problem is that its just not threatening enough. Yeah, it glares like the original, but that's just about it. I wouldn't say it looks significantly more like Mew either, especially with its tail being switched to its head.

I'm no genwunner. I love Mega Evolution designs that build off the original - Mega Mawile, Mega Venusuar, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Sableye, ect - but Mega Mewtwo Y doesn't build of Mewtwo's original design, it scraps much of Mewtwo's original design and replaces it with one almost entirely different. It doesn't look like Mewtwo's most powerful form, it looks like Mewtwo's little brother.

While I wouldn't say Mega Mewtwo Y has a horrible design, I can't say it captures what I've always loved about Mewtwo. That's why I just can't bring myself to like it.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
For one, Mewtwo was never truly a glass canon. 106/90/90 defenses are nothing to scoff at. While its true that Mewtwo's offensive stats are greater than his defensive stats, his defenses have never been so bad that they were considered a weakness. In fact, Mewtwo is pretty bulky.
Those defenses are actually decent, but in the environment he tends to compete in it is pretty low when compared to the likes of Pokemon like Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Arceus, etc. Compared to them, Mewtwo is kind of like a glass cannon amongst the other legendaries. Deoxys-A and Genesect share a similar archetype.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Those defenses are actually decent, but in the environment he tends to compete in it is pretty low when compared to the likes of Pokemon like Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Arceus, etc. Compared to them, Mewtwo is kind of like a glass cannon amongst the other legendaries. Deoxys-A and Genesect share a similar archetype.
Ho Oh is more of a glass cannon imo, large amount of weaknesses and high Attack, Kyogre is a Special tank and Arceus is a Jack of all trades

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
True, but Ho-oh has a solid 106/90/154 and the Regenerator ability making it a much more bulky offensive pokemon than good ol' Mewtwo.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
True, but it still takes hit better than Mewtwo. And regenerator somewhat mitigates the HP loss.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've always considered the Smash cast to be on level with Legendaries because of this.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Regenerator heals half your HP upon entering right? Stealth Rocks would take half his HP, they purposely designed it so he couldn't heal from Stealth Rocks. Plus Ho-oh is weak to Water, Rock and Dark. I just think Ho-oh is a bit too weak...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Regenerator heals half your HP upon entering right? Stealth Rocks would take half his HP, they purposely designed it so he couldn't heal from Stealth Rocks. Plus Ho-oh is weak to Water, Rock and Dark. I just think Ho-oh is a bit too weak...
Nah, regenerator heals 1/3rd of your health upon leaving.

But Ho-oh can still probably function with stealth rock support such as Defog or Magic Bounce. I believe its used as a tank, taking advantage of Sacred Flame's 50% chance to burn to deter swap ins, recover to heal, and Brave Bird to dish out damage.
Deoxys, let alone Deoxys-A, is hardly comparable to Mewtwo. Deoxys has 50/50/50 defenses. Deoxys-A has 50/20/20. I'd say Deoxys is the real glass canon.

Let's also not forget that back in gen 1, Mewtwo had no competition. It's the thing that set the bar for the likes of Ho-oh, Kyogre, and Dialga in the first place.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Eep... I've missed a lot. Um, where to start... Firstly, in regards to Project M, I sympathize with those who still play it. I've since moved on from PM, but I feel for those who haven't.

In regards to Mega Mewtwo Y's implementation in Smash 4 as Mewtwo's Final Smash, I actually don't mind it being a true attack, compared to a transformation. I mean, don't get me wrong, controlling a super-powerful form of a super-powerful Pokémon is awesome, but something about Psystrike in Smash 4 is just so...final or judgmental, I guess? Like Mega Mewtwo Y is all, "End of the line, insects!" I dunno. Mega Mewtwo Y's implementation in Smash 4 is alright by me, in any case. I wouldn't be opposed to Mega Mewtwo Y becoming a transformation Final Smash later on in the series, but I'm content with the way he's implemented now. That's just my opinion, though.

As far as Mega Mewtwo Y's design goes, I personally don't have a problem with that, either. While Mega Mewtwo Y doesn't necessarily build off of regular Mewtwo's design, I think it's also important to consider Mega Mewtwo X's design in this situation. If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason Mega Mewtwo Y doesn't build off of regular Mewtwo's design is because Mega Mewtwo X exists. Y focuses on amplifying Mewtwo's psychic abilities, evident in its elongated head and smaller frame, whereas X focuses on amplifying Mewtwo's physical abilities, evident in its more obvious musculature and taller stature. Both characteristics are present in Mewtwo's standard form, but neither are exaggerated like they are in his Mega Evolutions. X and Y are two parts of the same whole, if you will. Because Mewtwo has two Mega Evolutions, rather than having them both build off of regular Mewtwo's design, they each focus on amplifying a single aspect of Mewtwo. That's why I prefer to think of Mega Mewtwo Y strictly as an exaggeration of Mewtwo's psychic abilities, rather than considering him an amplification of Mewtwo as a whole. The same obviously goes for Mega Mewtwo X, albeit with Mewtwo's physical abilities being the exaggerated trait in question. Just my two cents, anyway. Personally, I enjoy Mega Mewtwo X and Y. They both look cool to me.

No comment on whether or not Mewtwo is a glass cannon in the main games. Heh, heh... I don't play Pokémon competitively, so I wouldn't know. Please don't kill me.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
X and Y are two parts of the same whole, if you will.
I guess this is my real problem with them, actually. Both of them are so focused on certain traits that neither of them on their own really represents what Mewtwo is.

Mega Charizard X and Y show different sides of Charizard, in a way. X is a physical brute and Y puts more focus into flight and fire. They both build upon Charizard, but neither of them detract from it.

If Mega Mewtwo Y and X were just alternative forms, I'd probably be far more forgiving. I'm just not really sure I like them as Mewtwo's "final forms".

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Transformation Final smashes tend to be garbage in Smash 4. Our fair lady's final smash is fine the way it is. Like, it can be set up into, ignores most forms of invulnerability, and when aimed just right it's pretty much free kills.

Also cranial explosions.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Transformation Final smashes tend to be garbage in Smash 4. Our fair lady's final smash is fine the way it is. Like, it can be set up into, ignores most forms of invulnerability, and when aimed just right it's pretty much free kills.

Also cranial explosions.
You can't argue with cranial explosions

Sonicninja115

What do you guys think is worse the ZSS mu or Rosalina? Personally i think rosa.
I think that Mewtwo is pretty much a mix of Rosa and ZSS. He has good defense and zoning capabilities, while also having a amazing punish game. I personally think Mewtwo has options against ZSS, but gets completely shut out by Rosa. Rosa has Luma and the gravitational pull. As well as early kill options and fast aerials.

ZSS can actually get hit by SB. Plus, ZSS is also gimped easier. I think they are both bad, but Rosa is worse.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think that Mewtwo is pretty much a mix of Rosa and ZSS. He has good defense and zoning capabilities, while also having a amazing punish game. I personally think Mewtwo has options against ZSS, but gets completely shut out by Rosa. Rosa has Luma and the gravitational pull. As well as early kill options and fast aerials.

ZSS can actually get hit by SB. Plus, ZSS is also gimped easier. I think they are both bad, but Rosa is worse.
Now see here: Gravitational Pull does NOT invalidate Shadow Ball. It has low enough endlag to punish Rosa for absorbing one at midrange, especially uncharged, or you could just scare her into using it by charging and punish that too. Plus, even if she does absorb it successfully she gains nothing from it.

Her aerials in the lateral direction have pretty hefty endlag. Mewtwo has the range to be able to compete with her spacing, you just can't be too aggressive when she has luma, though if Mewtwo does grab her at this time he can use fthrow or dthrow to damage it, preventing disruptions.

Once Luma is out of the way, Mewtwo's superior damage and killpower come into play. And his powerful vertical finishers are EXTREMELY efficient on her, due to being very floaty and light.

And Rosalina is way easier to edgeguard too, even if gimping her outright is difficult, Launch Star has no hit box allowing Mewtwo to go to town on her with nair. ZSS on the other hand has myriad options to mix up her recovery, some of which can potentially kill you.

The bottom line is that unless the Rosa player is really, really good at controlling her on the offensive, the match is really just a matter of who makes fewer mistakes on defence, making it even. She just doesn't have the same level of aggression that makes other top tier matchups like Fox or ZSS hard for Mewtwo.

C'mon Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 , you said so yourself that Mewtwo plays better defensively in your guide, so why is "getting in" so important here? Just outdefend her and let Mewtwo's superior punish game do the rest. And Shadow Ball is useful even when it doesn't land, because it demands respect no matter who is facing it.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Now see here: Gravitational Pull does NOT invalidate Shadow Ball. It has low enough endlag to punish Rosa for absorbing one at midrange, especially uncharged, or you could just scare her into using it by charging and punish that too. Plus, even if she does absorb it successfully she gains nothing from it.

Her aerials in the lateral direction have pretty hefty endlag. Mewtwo has the range to be able to compete with her spacing, you just can't be too aggressive when she has luma, though if Mewtwo does grab her at this time he can use fthrow or dthrow to damage it, preventing disruptions.

Once Luma is out of the way, Mewtwo's superior damage and killpower come into play. And his powerful vertical finishers are EXTREMELY efficient on her, due to being very floaty and light.

And Rosalina is way easier to edgeguard too, even if gimping her outright is difficult, Launch Star has no hit box allowing Mewtwo to go to town on her with nair. ZSS on the other hand has myriad options to mix up her recovery, some of which can potentially kill you.

The bottom line is that unless the Rosa player is really, really good at controlling her on the offensive, the match is really just a matter of who makes fewer mistakes on defence, making it even. She just doesn't have the same level of aggression that makes other top tier matchups like Fox or ZSS hard for Mewtwo.

C'mon Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 , you said so yourself that Mewtwo plays better defensively in your guide, so why is "getting in" so important here? Just outdefend her and let Mewtwo's superior punish game do the rest. And Shadow Ball is useful even when it doesn't land, because it demands respect no matter who is facing it.
I also say that Mewtwo needs to have a nature of capatilization. There are various reasons why I think Rosa is worse. In this MU, you have to beat Rosa at her own (better) game.Not only does gravitational pull stop SB, but Luma does as well. SB has it's uses, but it isn't nearly as effective as I would like.

Luma acts as the guard for Rosa. Establishing a defense that Mewtwo has a hard time beating. (Can he hit Luma with Dtilt?) Rosa can put Luma a small distance in front of her, making her range far greater then Mewtwo's.

While it is easier to Ledge-guard Rosa, you also have to remember that Rosa can wait you out/mix-ups with her recovery. It is so long, that you have to be careful to not go early, and then there is the matter of getting her offstage in the first place.

Since Rosa is so defensive, she is a hard nut to crack. Mewtwo's problem, is that he plays defensively so that he can get the punish. IMO, Mewtwo isn't a defensive character, he is a character that relies on his defense to get the Punish, and I find the punishing part to be the main part of Mewtwo's game.

On the other hand, Rosa is a defensive character with offensive capabilities. She can be a defensive wall, while being just out of the range of Mewtwo's Dtilt. Rosa doesn't have to rely on her Defense to win in this MU, she has to rely on out walling Mewtwo, and getting the early Uair kill.

With the Aerial thing, I am judging it by what I see Dabuz do, that is why I think that way. Also, LL is really good.

I also think, that getting rid of Luma doesn't help Mewtwo a whole lot. Rosa can camp him out, because Mewtwo doesn't have good offensive capabilities. Rosa is not a sitting duck without Luma, she is still a low high tier character.

Also, I didn't do a in-depth analysis of the MU like I usually do, thus, some stuff was taken the wrong way. This is my explanation of why I see it that way.

With ZSS being easier, I see that her recovery can be predictable. She always has to go for the ledge, unless certain circumstances happen. This makes Nair a good choice against ZSS too. If ZSS grabs the ledge with Zair, then Mewtwo can Nair down. Mewtwo can use Dair to clash with ZSS Up B, or even go for a Bair. I don't think Rosa and ZSS are too different in this area.

ZSS is a offensive character. This means that Mewtwo's playstyle works against her. ZSS has a lot of tools that make this MU in her favor, but Mewtwo's tilts, PP game and SB fear-striking ability, make this MU a bit easier. It is easier to keep ZSS out then it is to force Rosa to come in. In the end, Luma can just be a punching bag and Rosa can take the advantage.

Neither of these MU's are good for Mewtwo, and I realize that I overstated Rosa in my post. What I meant was that out of the two, I find Rosa to be more difficult. If I were to put a number on the MU's it would be 65/35 ZSS and 67/33 Rosa.

Did I explain myself well? I am just trying to get my thoughts on the MU across.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mewtwo most certainly can hit (and combo) Luma with dtilt. Strangely, the tip works better for sending him in a tumble.

Like I said, I can buy a Dabuz-level Rosalina being bad for Mewtwo, but seeing that kind of play is extremely rare, which is why I have a hard time considering that "standard" Rosalina. Certainly something to consider, but unlikely to be a concern in pools.

Mewtwo also does not need to capitalize too much in this matchup, not like he does with Falcon or most heavies. Rosalina is very light and floaty so even if you only ever go for dtilt->fair it shouldn't be too difficult to get Rosa to killing percents along with the other pokes Mewtwo will land.

SB fearmongering is arguably more effective on Rosa, especially with no Luma (the latter depending on how comfortable Rosa is with him tanking such a powerful projectile). Sure, you can't land it at long range but you can still bait reactions at midrange with little risk, whereas ZSS could potentially Flip Jump kick you to death for throwing or starting to charge at the wrong time.

Sonicninja115

Mewtwo most certainly can hit (and combo) Luma with dtilt. Strangely, the tip works better for sending him in a tumble.

Like I said, I can buy a Dabuz-level Rosalina being bad for Mewtwo, but seeing that kind of play is extremely rare, which is why I have a hard time considering that "standard" Rosalina. Certainly something to consider, but unlikely to be a concern in pools.

Mewtwo also does not need to capitalize too much in this matchup, not like he does with Falcon or most heavies. Rosalina is very light and floaty so even if you only ever go for dtilt->fair it shouldn't be too difficult to get Rosa to killing percents along with the other pokes Mewtwo will land.

SB fearmongering is arguably more effective on Rosa, especially with no Luma (the latter depending on how comfortable Rosa is with him tanking such a powerful projectile). Sure, you can't land it at long range but you can still bait reactions at midrange with little risk, whereas ZSS could potentially Flip Jump kick you to death for throwing or starting to charge at the wrong time.
Is that really possible? SB has a FAF of 45ish, and Shield comes out frame 1. If you release it might be possible, but I don't see ZSS being able to punish charge.

Anyways, just to make sure, I am not arguing. I just want to clear things up and I am not going to go around and spout Rosa is worse rhetoric. This is just my personal opinion, that might be mixed with a bit of bias. We should probably move this discussion to the MU thread tho...

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Rosa is just so good at walling Mewtwo, its difficult getting in all we really have to get in are tilts to poke moves here and there. You can never be above her because she is going to destroy you, and since we are so light its hell. Its a 6-4 Rosa's favor as long as she has Luma, once she is gone its close to even not quite at least as far as my experience in the mu goes. Even her jab is hard to deal with, its so good for trapping mewtwo on the ledge. A good way of getting in depending on how far away you are from her is to bait her gravitational pull with sb and go with a dash attack or a grab depending on the situation just capitalize. Spacing is crucial for obvious reasons.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Rosa is just so good at walling Mewtwo, its difficult getting in all we really have to get in are tilts to poke moves here and there. You can never be above her because she is going to destroy you, and since we are so light its hell. Its a 6-4 Rosa's favor as long as she has Luma, once she is gone its close to even not quite at least as far as my experience in the mu goes. Even her jab is hard to deal with, its so good for trapping mewtwo on the ledge. A good way of getting in depending on how far away you are from her is to bait her gravitational pull with sb and go with a dash attack or a grab depending on the situation just capitalize. Spacing is crucial for obvious reasons.
Protip: if Rosa is jabbing you while hanging from the ledge, drop, then either turn yourself around with confusion and go for a double-jump bair, or just teleport past her. Teleporting from above or horizontally to the ledge can also help avod snapping vulnerability if that's a concern.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Especially iIf she kills our momentum/clashes with Bair. She might have enough time to punish us.
Since when does anything besides projectiles clash with aerials? Do you mean a trade?

At any rate, the beauty of confusion is that while reorienting Mewtwo it gives enough time and space to gauge Rosa's reaction, and act appropriately.

Sonicninja115

Since when does anything besides projectiles clash with aerials? Do you mean a trade?

At any rate, the beauty of confusion is that while reorienting Mewtwo it gives enough time and space to gauge Rosa's reaction, and act appropriately.
If Bair trades (My mistake) with Jab, an immediate teleport is probably the best idea. If we fall back, Confusion, and then DJ Bair, I think it would be really hard to mis-space that.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I wish this site would stop assuming I don't want to see this thread anymore when I clearly want to....
Anyway, anyone tested to see how easy it is to escape from that "infinite"? It didn't look like something that really works against people....
And finally someone who thinks that Mega Mewtwo Y design is so bad too!
Mega Charizard X and Y show different sides of Charizard, in a way. X is a physical brute and Y puts more focus into flight and fire. They both build upon Charizard, but neither of them detract from it.
Actually, Mega Charizard Y looks like a real upgrade to the classic Charizard while X is just something.... different.
And I don't mean just in the looks, I actually mean more on the fact that Y is Sp. Attack focused just like the classic guy while the Mr. dragon type is a Attack guy....
It definitely doesn't feel very much like Charizard, while Y is alone the perfect evolution for him.

Sonicninja115

I wish this site would stop assuming I don't want to see this thread anymore when I clearly want to....
Anyway, anyone tested to see how easy it is to escape from that "infinite"? It didn't look like something that really works against people....
And finally someone who thinks that Mega Mewtwo Y design is so bad too!

Actually, Mega Charizard Y looks like a real upgrade to the classic Charizard while X is just something.... different.
And I don't mean just in the looks, I actually mean more on the fact that Y is Sp. Attack focused just like the classic guy while the Mr. dragon type is a Attack guy....
It definitely doesn't feel very much like Charizard, while Y is alone the perfect evolution for him.
What infinite? the Jab-Nair?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I like to think of Mega Charizard Y as more of Charizard's "true" evolution while X is more of its "fanservice" evolution. You know how some of us Charizard fanboys obsess of Charizard's shiny form, and mega X has a similar color scheme + blue flames. It's also dragon type like its fans have been screaming for for ages. Regardless, though, both of the forms take what people like about the original thing and add extra emphasis, which is why I think they're good mega evolution designs.

It's also worth noting that Mr.Dragon has equal attack and special attack stats, and that Tough Claws is the only reason its more physical. But both forms are perfectly capable of going mixed, and I'm sure most casual players used a mixed Charizard anyway. Zard X also has a more similar body shape to regular Zard. I think the reason it looks so different is probably that swap in color scheme and the odd wings. After all, blue and orange are on opposite sides of the color spectrum.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Jab-Up tilt.
This.
Thanks for the clarification. It is escapaable if you DI out. The first Jab-Utilt-Jab is guaranteed though. It is the tip of the Utilt that sends them out of the combo.

Also, it would be interesting if they made a fusion between MX and MY wouldn't it?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Thanks for the clarification. It is escapaable if you DI out. The first Jab-Utilt-Jab is guaranteed though. It is the tip of the Utilt that sends them out of the combo.

Also, it would be interesting if they made a fusion between MX and MY wouldn't it?
Well there is that new Dark Mewtwo..

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I like to think of Mega Charizard Y as more of Charizard's "true" evolution while X is more of its "fanservice" evolution. You know how some of us Charizard fanboys obsess of Charizard's shiny form, and mega X has a similar color scheme + blue flames. It's also dragon type like its fans have been screaming for for ages. Regardless, though, both of the forms take what people like about the original thing and add extra emphasis, which is why I think they're good mega evolution designs.

It's also worth noting that Mr.Dragon has equal attack and special attack stats, and that Tough Claws is the only reason its more physical. But both forms are perfectly capable of going mixed, and I'm sure most casual players used a mixed Charizard anyway. Zard X also has a more similar body shape to regular Zard. I think the reason it looks so different is probably that swap in color scheme and the odd wings. After all, blue and orange are on opposite sides of the color spectrum.
I agree with pretty much everything, but I had to check out the stats again and aw damn, you're right....
I got that idea that X is more physical in my head and that put the "has more Attack" in there too.... when the reason for that idea is absolutely everything else but that.... I mean, X still has bigger Defense than Sp. Defense (and Tough Claws) while Y has much bigger Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense than Attack and Defense....
X's Attack and Sp. Attack difference (or lack thereof) is literally the only thing that don't follow the "Y is special and X is physical" trend :p

Anyway, Dark Mewtwo is just a shiny Mega Mewtwo X with the crystal curse from the Bloodstained game.... there is nothing Y in it.

Top Bottom