• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The infinite is still really hard, and when stepping forward, it makes it even harder to get it to chain. The infinite is still in question, but the kill combo is working now.
Being hard isn't the same as being fun to play or fun to watch.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
So we pretty much have guaranteed shieldbreaks on characters like Ryu and possibly Greninja, this is all assuming you have a fully charged SB depending on the health of your opponents shield. If you reflect Ryus hadoken and he decides to shield it he will be stuck in holding it and since the move hits more than once you will have more than enough time to throw a fully charged SB for the shieldbreak.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Being hard isn't the same as being fun to play or fun to watch.
I was sorta half quoting you, but I agree.

I am going to ask the Ryu boards for true hadoukens and the other one's shieldstun data to find out how close I would need to be to get it to true.

Als, the Direct is on the 15th, get hyped!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
ZephyrZ ZephyrZ - I've been buried in work lately, so I haven't had time to respond to you yet. I apologize. Anyways, thanks a million for the feedback! It really means a lot to me. I agree that Fairy is an odd choice for a secondary type on a Mewtwo Mega Evolution, but, for some strange reason, it jumped out at me. I don't why, especially in light of Dark, but it did. I would agree that, after Fairy, Dark is the most fitting secondary type for Mewtwo, but I'm almost definitely in the minority there. Like I said, it must be something about Mewtwo's design. In any event, I'm glad you have some interest in it. Very few people have any reaction other than an incredulous look when I tell them that I find Fairy to be a fitting secondary type for a hypothetical Mewtwo Mega Evolution:p. Also, I'm glad to see you like the stat spread! I tried to emphasize Mewtwo's offensive stats while not forgoing his defensive ones, and I wasn't sure if I had pulled it off with enough grace. It's good to know that you like it!

As for Super Luck, I can see where you're coming from. I chose it because I figured that increasing Mewtwo's critical hit ratio was one way of doing that. However, I do suppose that its actual effects can be minimal or negligible, so I totally get what you're saying about it being unfitting. Adaptability would be awesome for a canon ability, I agree, but I'll try my hand at creating a deliberately broken ability. Hm... Maybe, when his HP dropped below half, Mewtwo's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed would all double? That'd be, like, 280 Attack, 368 Special Attack and 300 Speed. Pretty broken, if you ask me. It could be called "Determination" or something. What do you think?

Who is MS?
MS is short for Mario Smith. He was a user that used to be a regular on the Mewtwo boards. He had really strong opinions, tended to be narrow-minded and objectively incorrect (He called Ganondorf fast and Robin a rush-down character), and just had pretty contorted views on Smash in general. He used a ton of superlatives, too. I believe he called Smash 4 the worst game since ET. I wouldn't call Mario Smith bad, per se, but he was a pretty big nuisance when he got worked up. Just all-around frustrating and difficult to converse with at times. When he wasn't fired up about something, though, he was actually pretty fun to talk with. He had a nice sense of humor and had some neat ideas. Mario Smith was just unreasonably passionate about some things, and it made him really hard to put up with. Around the time he stopped frequenting the Mewtwo boards, he was blisteringly angry pretty much 24/7, so it was probably for the best that he left here. I remember I had him on my ignore list for a little while...

I'd continue replying, but I've still got stuff to do, so I've really gotta go. I'll try to make a few more posts here before the weekend arrives, though. I'll give you my thoughts on your idea the next chance I have to post, BarSoapSoup BarSoapSoup . A strictly damage-based Disable could be really interesting, but I don't have time to weigh out it's potential pros and cons right now. I just figured that I'd let you know that I think it's a neat idea! Also, welcome to the Mewtwo boards! I hope you enjoy your stay! I don't know if it's just my stress-rattled brain acting up, but your username made me crack up:laugh:.

EDIT: Also, a quick congratulations to @ミスティック Speed. You're doing great!

Last edited:
Hey, has anyone considered using Mewtwo's forward air to chain the opponent off the side of the stage like Meta Knight and ZSS with the ceiling? I've attempted it and got some results, generally if it fails I can follow with a dair meteor or a semi-spike nair.

Sonicninja115

Hey, has anyone considered using Mewtwo's forward air to chain the opponent off the side of the stage like Meta Knight and ZSS with the ceiling? I've attempted it and got some results, generally if it fails I can follow with a dair meteor or a semi-spike nair.
Fair-Fair-Fair is actually a true combo on Fox at 27% and it kills. Fair-Fair links on most characters too.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Looks like Sceptile made sure to get into shape for the tournament, because he seems to of lost some tummy fat. I like that look for it.
It will be my pleasure to Blaze Kick him back to his place.
Blaziken might be able to Blaze Kick, but Sceptile is able to Kick Grass as well.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Electric dragon grass pokemon from the forests. It sounds like the beginning of a story.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
And that's why Lucario is a stupid character....
Hey guys I am down three stocks with 150%! Stiiiiillllll Goood.
I use Lucario as a secondary, and I beg to differ.

Do you know how hard it is to stay alive at 150%, or to live to that percentage in the first place? If Lucario's aura was really so cheap that he constantly wins battles that he shouldn't, he'd probably be higher on the tier list than that. Besides, until his starts to get high aura, he's actually an extremely underwhelming character. He can't kill very easily at all until he's at the risk of being KOed himself, and the range on his attacks are just sad. He's also got basically zero combo ability, even at 0%.

Lucario's Aura Ability doesn't reward being hit; it rewards avoiding KO moves. And it's not as though intentionally letting yourself get hit gives you a longer window to KO your opponent. All it letting yourself get hit does is speed up your own demise, just as with any other character.

There's a reason you aren't seeing Lucario take the S rank on everyone's tier list.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I use Lucario as a secondary, and I beg to differ.

Do you know how hard it is to stay alive at 150%, or to live to that percentage in the first place? If Lucario's aura was really so cheap that he constantly wins battles that he shouldn't, he'd probably be higher on the tier list than that. Besides, until his starts to get high aura, he's actually an extremely underwhelming character. He can't kill very easily at all until he's at the risk of being KOed himself, and the range on his attacks are just sad. He's also got basically zero combo ability, even at 0%.

Lucario's Aura Ability doesn't reward being hit; it rewards avoiding KO moves. And it's not as though intentionally letting yourself get hit gives you a longer window to KO your opponent. All it letting yourself get hit does is speed up your own demise, just as with any other character.

There's a reason you aren't seeing Lucario take the S rank on everyone's tier list.
I know aura's not OP, I play Shulk, and one of the things I am best at with him is surviving until 180%.

He isn't an easy or OP character. But it is rather easy to poke fun at him.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I love Lucario to death and I don't really mind aura. I'd be lying if I said that fighting against him wasn't frustrating though. T_T

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Being top SSS tier or bottom low bottom tier, he is a stupidly designed character.... a character that gets stronger when they get hit is stupid, that's why the KO Punch is a stupid mechanic too.... it's a stupid design.
Whether you need to survive or not, he still gets stronger when he get hit, it's just not. A good. Design.
Plus, why do people always says that Lucario's range sucks without aura? Does he has his arms ripped off or something? For Lucario players having the range of full grown arms like almost every other non sword character in the roster (poor poor Kirby) is bad range and only with a big ass aura traveling 1/3 of the stage his range is acceptable....
The fact is, NIntendo should have balanced his damage output and knockback to be the same no matter how much aura he has (and obviously, letting him kill with any amount of aura).... and the aura should be limited to range chances only. Then his design wouldn't be stupid.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
You people must really hate Samurai Shodown I'd imagine.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Alright, like I promised, I'll go into how I think a strictly damage-based Disable could work. Uh, essentially, it has a lot of potential, but I'm not really sure if I'd use it. First of all, a damage-based Disable, which I'll refer to as Stingy Eye from here on out, would probably have to have longer range than Disable. Otherwise, Stingy Eye's usefulness would be extremely limited, as simply dolling out damage has much less value as a punishing tool when compared to completely immobilizing an opponent. Furthermore, it would have to deal quite a bit of damage and knockback. Honestly, in order for Stingy Eye to be worth using, it'd have to be a KO tool. Elsewise, even with buffed range, Disable would almost undoubtedly be more useful. By making Stingy Eye a KO move, it's sort of maintaining Disable's function as a punishing tool, but in a different spirit. It would be less versatile, obviously, given its inability to set up literally anything at Mewtwo's disposal, but, when coupled with its extended range, Stingy Eye might would prove to be a viable alternative. Plus, since Stingy Eye could believably work in midair, I imagine that that would be another advantage it possesses. All of that is probably enough to make Stingy Eye a worthwhile alternative to Disable, but, personally, I'd also increase its shield damage and give it the ability to hit opponents from behind. Not only is the latter an extremely common complaint with Disable, but it would also likely be more crucial to Stingy Eye due to its aforementioned inferior versatility. The extra shield damage feels like a given, especially in light of Stingy Eye's amped-up knockback and whatnot, but, once again, due to Stingy Eye's lesser versatility, I feel as though it would be more dire to its viability. A KO-type punishing tool dealing minimal shield damage is entirely different from a follows-up-into-anything-type punishing tool deal minimal shield damage. Just my thoughts on a hypothetical, damage-based Disable. However, I'd also like to throw my hat in the ring on Lucario.

Personally, I think Lucario's gimmick is pretty interesting, if frustrating to fight against. I feel the devs did a good job with making Lucario's Aura mechanic balanced. I don't play as Lucario very often, but, from what I can recollect, he's pretty weak at low percentages. Like, pathetically so. Once he starts gaining damage, he gradually becomes more average-powered, and, at high percents, he's obviously a powerhouse. Now, I always here people say, "Lucario's a poorly designed character because he rewards bad players," but, what I have to ask is, "Does he really?" I mean, if you're a poor player, I hardly think that increased damage output on moves you couldn't even utilize properly in the first place is going to be that beneficial. What good is a buff if you can't use it right, you know? Furthermore, Lucario's power-level never gets entirely out of hand. It's always feels properly proportionate the amount of damage you currently have. Sure, you're rewarded for getting hit, but you're also punished. As far as I know, at a tournament level, Lucario players can't rely on Aura to get them out of sticky situations. At a high level of play, you can't really use Aura as crutch, I don't think. It still ultimately comes down to skill, just as it does with every other character on the roster. Honestly, I think people who hate on Lucario's Aura tend to focus too much on the increased damage while forgetting about the fact that Lucario actually takes damage, as well as his exceptional weakness at low percentages. Aura's really not that bad of a mechanic, in my opinion: it doesn't truly reward poor players, it can't be used a crutch, and the Aura-scaling feels really fine-tuned. Additionally, I feel as though most of what I just said applies to Little Mac's KO Punch, as well; he was brought up, so I figured I'd briefly address him, too. Anyhow, back on track, Lucario can be frustrating to fight against, I agree, but I don't think his Aura reflects "poor design" at all. Oh, and, Metallinatus Metallinatus , I must ask how making Aura a purely range-modifying gimmick would make it any less of a "bad design" through your eyes. If you think Aura is a bad mechanic because it rewards bad players with buffs, I don't see how decreasing the amount of buffs given makes it any less of a bad design. It's still the same principle, and, going by your opening sentence, it seems to be the principle of the matter that bothers you, not how balanced the character or gimmick in question is.

Finally, I know this is late, but Sceptile looks really cool! His ceiling-clinging gimmick looks super-interesting! I think the Pokkén Tournament devs did a good job of making Sceptile's Grass-type attacks look cool, and his Izuna Drop looks nice, too. I also apologize in advance for any grammatical mistakes that may be in this post: my computer is lagging behind my actual typing rate and I'm pretty tired right now, so I likely missed an error or two.

EDIT: Also, I figure I should apologize for the wall of text, as well. I didn't realize how much I'd written until right after I had hit "Post Reply," so that's why this is such a fast edit. Ironically, I suppose I'm also making this post longer by typing this up:p...

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
It DOES make it less bad, much less, as it is not giving him insane knockback at least.... that is definitely MUCH LESS bad.
Anyway, the whole aura gimmick would be better just gone, sure, but that is a way to keep it since it is so "important" to the character, while not making it so stupid.... saying otherwise is like saying that if everybody had the aura mechanic in conjunction with the rage mechanic, that wouldn't make the whole game mechanic more stupid.... hell yeah, it would.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
It DOES make it less bad, much less, as it is not giving him insane knockback at least.... that is definitely MUCH LESS bad.
Anyway, the whole aura gimmick would be better just gone, sure, but that is a way to keep it since it is so "important" to the character, while not making it so stupid.... saying otherwise is like saying that if everybody had the aura mechanic in conjunction with the rage mechanic, that wouldn't make the whole game mechanic more stupid.... hell yeah, it would.
But, Aura never gives Lucario insane amounts of damage, especially not when you consider how weak he is at low percentages. You seem to be under the impression that Aura is imbalanced, but it's really not. Like I said, Aura can't be used as a crutch at high-level play, so winning with Lucario still comes down to skill. Lucario can be frustrating to fight against because of Aura, but he can't use it as a crutch, and it never gets too far out of hand. Aura is kept in check quite well, really, even if it stacks with Rage. I feel like Aura was actually balanced with Rage in mind. Otherwise, Lucario would be much higher on the tier list, don't you think?

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
This is repetition, but a bad design is a bad design independent of the tier list.... he is still a guy designed to get stronger the more he gets hit.... and aura was NOT balanced with rage in mind, because with both Lucario can score a kill almost as early as a reversed Warlock Punch (a move slower than anything Lucario does and without any insane, or even an above normal amount of range).... he can, I've seen it.
You need to survive a lot to get that powerful, yeah, I've survived much longer with Charizard, Samus and even Kirby and whatever other character I may have done it with, where is my "reward" for that? Rage? It stops increasing at 150% already....
Anyway, my point stands, both rage and aura are bad mechanics.... aura being much worse, through.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is repetition, but a bad design is a bad design independent of the tier list.... he is still a guy designed to get stronger the more he gets hit.... and aura was NOT balanced with rage in mind, because with both Lucario can score a kill almost as early as a reversed Warlock Punch (a move slower than anything Lucario does and without any insane, or even an above normal amount of range).... he can, I've seen it.
You need to survive a lot to get that powerful, yeah, I've survived much longer with Charizard, Samus and even Kirby and whatever other character I may have done it with, where is my "reward" for that? Rage? It stops increasing at 150% already....
Anyway, my point stands, both rage and aura are bad mechanics.... aura being much worse, through.
Lots of characters can be hurt by rage just as much as it helps, namely ZSS and DK's main combos no longer work so well.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Your argument isn't making any sense. You claim that Aura is poorly designed regardless of Lucario's placement on the tier list, but then you go on to claim that Aura is a bad mechanic because Lucario is too powerful with Aura for a character with his frame data, which directly correlates to his tier placement. And, even if Lucario can kill an opponent really early, he has to be at ridiculously high percentages to do so, and, as I've reiterated multiple times, he's incredibly weak at low percentages, which serves as a direct counterpoint to his strength at high percents.

If you're letting Lucario live to such high percentages, you're probably doing something wrong. He's only a middleweight fighter, and Extreme Speed's landing lag is atrocious. The key to defeating Lucario is to KO him quickly, so that he doesn't get the chance to abuse Aura's power at high percents; competitive players seem to have no problem doing so, given Lucario's tier placement. Plus, as I've also repeated numerous times, you can't use Aura as a crutch. At high-level play, Lucario mains can't depend on Aura to win a match. Just as with any other character on the roster, it all comes down to skill. If Aura was really imbalanced, Lucario players would be able to depend on it in order to win a match, but they can't. Therefore, it's a balanced mechanic, even when stacked on top of Rage. Otherwise, Lucario's tier placement would be much higher. I know you're saying that Aura is bad mechanic regardless of Lucario's tier placement, but your argument, which pertains to Lucario's strength relative to his frame data at high percents, suggests the opposite, and, thus, I can only address it as such.

Also, why do want a reward surviving to high percentages as other characters? That's what you seem to be suggesting, but you just called Aura a bad mechanic. I'm confused here. Furthermore, as I said before, you've got to KO Lucario early in order to defeat him. He's only a middleweight fighter, and Extreme Speed, while able to cover long distances, has exceptionally poor landing lag. It's an inherit part of fighting Lucario: if a character gets stronger as they take damage, then, logically, you need to KO them early in order to win. Thankfully, this is possible when going up against Lucario, due to his aforementioned average weight and high landing lag on Extreme Speed. So, yes, Lucario can survive to high percents, just as any other character can, but the trick is to prevent him from doing so.

I get that Lucario can be frustrating to fight against because of Aura, but I don't think that Aura is a poorly designed mechanic at all.

Sonicninja115

Oh, guys. I looked into the Infinite with the Sep-Utilt, and it doesn't work unless they DI away. They go to far behind Mewtwo and their hitstun wears off. I am done labbing this for now. But I believe there is still more to be found.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Your argument isn't making any sense. You claim that Aura is poorly designed regardless of Lucario's placement on the tier list, but then you go on to claim that Aura is a bad mechanic because Lucario is too powerful with Aura for a character with his frame data, which directly correlates to his tier placement. And, even if Lucario can kill an opponent really early, he has to be at ridiculously high percentages to do so, and, as I've reiterated multiple times, he's incredibly weak at low percentages, which serves as a direct counterpoint to his strength at high percents.

If you're letting Lucario live to such high percentages, you're probably doing something wrong. He's only a middleweight fighter, and Extreme Speed's landing lag is atrocious. The key to defeating Lucario is to KO him quickly, so that he doesn't get the chance to abuse Aura's power at high percents; competitive players seem to have no problem doing so, given Lucario's tier placement. Plus, as I've also repeated numerous times, you can't use Aura as a crutch. At high-level play, Lucario mains can't depend on Aura to win a match. Just as with any other character on the roster, it all comes down to skill. If Aura was really imbalanced, Lucario players would be able to depend on it in order to win a match, but they can't. Therefore, it's a balanced mechanic, even when stacked on top of Rage. Otherwise, Lucario's tier placement would be much higher. I know you're saying that Aura is bad mechanic regardless of Lucario's tier placement, but your argument, which pertains to Lucario's strength relative to his frame data at high percents, suggests the opposite, and, thus, I can only address it as such.

Also, why do want a reward surviving to high percentages as other characters? That's what you seem to be suggesting, but you just called Aura a bad mechanic. I'm confused here. Furthermore, as I said before, you've got to KO Lucario early in order to defeat him. He's only a middleweight fighter, and Extreme Speed, while able to cover long distances, has exceptionally poor landing lag. It's an inherit part of fighting Lucario: if a character gets stronger as they take damage, then, logically, you need to KO them early in order to win. Thankfully, this is possible when going up against Lucario, due to his aforementioned average weight and high landing lag on Extreme Speed. So, yes, Lucario can survive to high percents, just as any other character can, but the trick is to prevent him from doing so.

I get that Lucario can be frustrating to fight against because of Aura, but I don't think that Aura is a poorly designed mechanic at all.
You misunderstood that part, I didn't talk about how early he can kill to say that he is super op SSS tier, I mentioned it as to show that they didn't balance the aura thinking of rage too.... not at all.... otherwise he wouldn't be able to kill so freaking early with both. Again, that doesn't make him top tier, but it shows that one was not balanced thinking of the other.
And the fact Lucario can't kill at low percent just goes to show even more how bad his design is.... he literally needs to get hit a dozen times to be able to kill someone, how can you call that good design? I guess it's fine in a Free For All casual game, but in a competition???
Oh, the reward part was to counter the "reward for surviving" argument that people like to give.... I mean, I've survived to at least 170% too too many times, you are not supposed to be getting "rewarded" for that, that is just what you should be doing anyway.... no character needs reward for that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's a common mistake to only look at one or a small handful of powerful tools or an attribute, and then focus all of your efforts on using them, even if it makes you suffer. You see this with the likes of Little Mac (KO Uppercut), Wario (Waft), Samus (Charge Shot), or stuff like Luigi or Lucas's throw games. And I'll bet you it's going to happen with Cloud and his Finishing Touch too.

For Lucario, the "just let them beat you up 'till you get high aura" strategy is rather shortsighted, because if you haven't been fighting back until now, you now pretty much have to either land a powerful smash or try to raise their percent while being at a huge deficit. And he doesn't have much in the way of reliable setups either. Aura Sphere charging tends to be very telegraphed due to Lucario's slow falling, and his bair ain't Falcon's. Whereas if you have been fighting back you can polish off their first stock with relative ease (possibly with only a moderate amount of aura too), then start working on the next quickly before you get taken out.

A similar deal with KO Uppercut, a quick glance at it might make you think that it rewards him for getting hit, but when you consider what makes him lose it (getting KOed or hit after acquiring it) as well as how easily he can die before he can even get the chance to use it, you see that it actually rewards him for surviving. In the event that Little Mac is playing very well and not getting hit, then a) he can use the KO Uppercut to further cement his lead (as he'll have most likely taken a stock by this point), and b) he likely didn't even need the punch in the first place. In a close fight it can help him tip the scales, and it won't help at all if he's losing badly since, again, he'll either have fallen before even getting it or lose it after getting it due to the opponent's pressure.

Bottom line is that Lucario players aren't aiming to get high aura as often as possible, they just play normally regardless of their percent, and just happen to be able to get extreme rewards for avoiding being KOed in exchange for being underwhelming at the start of a match and after getting KOed. Lucario still needs to outplay his opponent to win like everybody else.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I hope Kakyoin is announced in the smash direct. Mystic Trap loops are just what we need to combat the rampant Sheiks and Diddy Kongs.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Forewarning: Biggest wall of text I've made as of yet. Truly gargantuan. My apologies. I seem to have been making a lot of these recently >_<. The long and short of it is Aura, tokenism, and the upcoming patch, in that order.
You misunderstood that part, I didn't talk about how early he can kill to say that he is super op SSS tier, I mentioned it as to show that they didn't balance the aura thinking of rage too.... not at all.... otherwise he wouldn't be able to kill so freaking early with both. Again, that doesn't make him top tier, but it shows that one was not balanced thinking of the other.
And the fact Lucario can't kill at low percent just goes to show even more how bad his design is.... he literally needs to get hit a dozen times to be able to kill someone, how can you call that good design? I guess it's fine in a Free For All casual game, but in a competition???
Oh, the reward part was to counter the "reward for surviving" argument that people like to give.... I mean, I've survived to at least 170% too too many times, you are not supposed to be getting "rewarded" for that, that is just what you should be doing anyway.... no character needs reward for that.
I suppose so, but, even if Aura and Rage weren't balanced with each other in mind, Lucario's gimmick is still well-balanced. He can kill early at high percents, but he shouldn't survive long at such percentages, and, perhaps more importantly, he's weak at low percentages. Maybe it's just a happy coincidence that Aura and Rage stacking don't break Lucario. I don't know. Anyways, yes, Lucario was designed around getting hit in order to be balanced. Like I said, being weak at low percentages is a counterpoint to being strong at high ones, and vice versa. Each balances the other. However, getting hit is almost as inevitable as the timer ticking down. It's a Fighting-game; you're going to get hit sooner or later. Plus, like meleebrawler meleebrawler said, just letting yourself get walloped isn't going to help you in the long run. Once again, Aura isn't a crutch, so trying to use it as one is like trying to use a fork to eat soup. Lucario mains aren't supposed to let themselves get hit. Because it's an inevitable thing, they should just play normally, even at low percents.

I see. Thank you for clearing that up. Once again, however, Lucario being rewarded for surviving to high percents is balanced by being weak at low ones. You don't just get rewarded for surviving to high percents: your very balance depends on it. Try to think of Aura as balancing Lucario, instead of rewarding him. Rather than thinking of Lucario as getting unnecessarily rewarded for doing what you're supposed to do, think of Lucario as getting necessarily balanced for doing what you're supposed to do. Does that help your perception of Aura at all?
I never got the 'muh diversity' thing if by that you meant because of how ambiguously gay he is
Me, neither. To me, including a character based solely on their sexual orientation, race, sex, etc. is a pretty poor practice. I believe the proper term is tokenism, and I can't stand it. Rather than improving your image by including a diverse range of people, it really just hurts the general perception of minorities and, to me, makes you come off as manipulative and sleazy. By simply including, say, a homosexual couple for no other reason than "diversity," it turns them into something to be exploited, and, more often than not, they're poorly written and do absolutely nothing to push the plot of whatever media they may be in forward. Normally, it's extremely obvious when someone's been tokenized. Vastra's and Jenny's lesbian relationship in Doctor Who comes to mind. I love that show to death, but I don't recall their relationship contributing anything to its plot or character development. Now, see, if you include the same homosexual couple, but make them relevant to the plot and write them into the story like you normally would, they become a positive inclusion that helps the general perception of minorities. And it's not just homosexual couples that can be poorly written.

I don't know if you guys have ever heard of Primeval, but it was a television show from a while back, and there were two characters in that show, Connor and Abby, that were sort of the show's couple. Their relationship did absolutely nothing in the first season or so, and it was totally unnecessary inclusion that the show could have done without. Later on, they introduced this girl, whose name I can't remember, who created this whole love triangle between herself, Connor, and Abby. But, this girl was working for the bad guys or something like that, and made Connor and Abby's relationship dynamic and relevant to the plot. This relationship, a heterosexual one, mind you, started off completely irrelevant and pointless, much like tokenized homosexual couples or members of a certain race in various forms of media are, but it was remedied later on by introducing a third factor to the relationship that helped push the plot forward.

Anyway, this is all just to say that minorities don't have to be tokenized, and that tokenizing them really just hurts their image. It turns minorities into something to be exploited in order to amp up your ratings or roll in more cash, and they're oftentimes a pointless inclusion to the form of media they happen in. Nothing good comes out of it, and makes the company who tokenized the minority appear manipulative and exploitative. But, it doesn't have to be that way. By making a homosexual relationship a dynamic force in the plot and writing the couple into the story like you would any other major element, the characters become a positive representation of their minority, and, thus, it can help improve that minority's general perception. I don't dislike tokenism because it includes minorities; I dislike tokenism because it paints minorities in a negative light, and that's the last thing I want to happen to a group that's probably facing enough problems as is.

That's my spiel on it, anyhow. I doubt this is the place to discuss social issues and such, but the topic was brought up, so I figured I'd toss my hat in the ring. And, it's kind of a big hat, I guess. Heh...

In other news, I hope Mewtwo gets buffed in some way or another in the upcoming patch. I don't expect it, especially in light of how little attention he's gotten so far, but I can hope. Some hitbox fixes or power buffs would be great. I have zero idea what to expect, though. Probably just a Greninja nerf. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom