• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Yeah, Shadow Mewtwo doesn't really look like a fusion of Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y. He just looks like Mega Mewtwo X stabbed a Psychic Gem in himself and overdosed on Rare Candies:p. Speaking of which, there's supposed to be a new character revealed for Pokkén Tournament this coming Thursday. See for yourselves. The Pokémon has an "N" in its Japanese name, and some kind soul out there on the internet whittled the potential Pokémon down to these 180. Personally, I'd love to see the likes of Alakazam, Noivern, or Cofagrigus, but I think the safe guesses are Jigglypuff, Sceptile, and Diancie. I am slightly disappointed that Dragalge isn't on that list, though. His Poison/Dragon-type combination rocks, and he's my second-favorite Pokémon ever, after Mewtwo, obviously.

Also, I apologize if all of you already know about this. It's pretty old news by this point, but no-one had brought it up yet, so I just figured that I would.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Yeah, Shadow Mewtwo doesn't really look like a fusion of Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y. He just looks like Mega Mewtwo X stabbed a Psychic Gem in himself and overdosed on Rare Candies:p. Speaking of which, there's supposed to be a new character revealed for Pokkén Tournament this coming Thursday. See for yourselves. The Pokémon has an "N" in its Japanese name, and some kind soul out there on the internet whittled the potential Pokémon down to these 180. Personally, I'd love to see the likes of Alakazam, Noivern, or Cofagrigus, but I think the safe guesses are Jigglypuff, Sceptile, and Diancie. I am slightly disappointed that Dragalge isn't on that list, though. His Poison/Dragon-type combination rocks, and he's my second-favorite Pokémon ever, after Mewtwo, obviously.

Also, I apologize if all of you already know about this. It's pretty old news by this point, but no-one had brought it up yet, so I just figured that I would.
OH MAN. Hydreigon's is a possibility?! Ohh yess. Hydreigon is without a doubt my favorite Pokemon ever, so just imagine how hype I'll be if he is announced! The thought of it makes me so giddy... if he does make it in, I'll have my top 2 favorites fighting together (Second favorite being Gardevoir) :grin:

I wish this site would stop assuming I don't want to see this thread anymore when I clearly want to....
Glad to know I'm not the only one this happens to...

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Yeah, I did see that before and made my own research on the names and even thought of Alakazam too.... I actually think he has good chances.... he even has his own Mega Evolution too already.
But I really can't see Jigglypuff working on Pokkén, though.... maybe Wigglypuff.... but not jiggs.
But I started to like Greninja (like everybody else) recently (OH NO BUT I CAN'T LIKE WATER TYPES!!!! FIRE IS STILL THE BEZZ!).... and I kinda would really like to see him there now....
I already wanted it before I liked him because a ninja moveset like his Smash's one would be so cool in there.... but now I really want it!

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Yeah, I did see that before and made my own research on the names and even thought of Alakazam too.... I actually think he has good chances.... he even has his own Mega Evolution too already.
But I really can't see Jigglypuff working on Pokkén, though.... maybe Wigglypuff.... but not jiggs.
But I started to like Greninja (like everybody else) recently (OH NO BUT I CAN'T LIKE WATER TYPES!!!! FIRE IS STILL THE BEZZ!).... and I kinda would really like to see him there now....
I already wanted it before I liked him because a ninja moveset like his Smash's one would be so cool in there.... but now I really want it!
It's okay, fire betrayed us in Kalos. There is only one logical choice between Greninja and Delphox...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

My 2 most wanted aren't there

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

It's going to be Sylveon, I hope you all know this. lol

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Bruno. Yes the elite 4 trainer doing the fighting for himself.

Sonicninja115

Pikachu sends out Bruno

Bruno uses excessive manliness

It's super effective!

Female Pokemon Trainer Faints!

Also, hydreigon or Rayquaza. I think it would be awsome to see a giant snake slithering through the air and such. I think it could be really cool without being OP.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Pikachu sends out Bruno

Bruno uses excessive manliness

It's super effective!

Female Pokemon Trainer Faints!

Also, hydreigon or Rayquaza. I think it would be awsome to see a giant snake slithering through the air and such. I think it could be really cool without being OP.
I think Seviper/Arbok are better choices. Since those two aren't excessively large.
Dratini/Dragonair could also work.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Well, given that I've already got Mewtwo, I'd absolutely love to see Dragalge join the tourney. He's just so cool-looking and well-designed, in my opinion, and I think he'd be awesome in Pokkén Tournament. He could use a mixture of weak, long-ranged, continuous damage-inflicting attacks, referencing his Poison-typing; and flashy, powerful, close-ranged attacks, referencing his Dragon-typing. That way, he could pressure the opponent into approaching by using his Poison-type attacks, and then wallop them with his Dragon-type attacks once they close in. He'd probably have to have a crippling weakness, like being really slow or having exceptionally poor HP, to balance that out, however. I'm personally alright with that, though. Plus, Dragalge would look glorious in HD.

Besides Dragalge, I think Cofagrigus could be interesting, too, given his multi-armed physiology and levitating abilities. Cofagrigus isn't necessarily one of my favorite Pokémon, but his design is nice, and I think he definitely has potential in Pokkén Tournament. A snake-like Pokémon would be interesting, as well, and, while I don't have a preference, I'd personally choose either Seviper or Serperior. They're the coolest snake-esque Pokémon, in my opinion, especially Serperior, since he, along with Dratini and Dragonair, breaks the trend of snake Pokémon being evil-ish Poison-types. Oh, and Bidoof, just for the mountains of salt that would surely follow:p. Actually sorta serious...

I know this post is probably starting to drag, and I apologize, but I just have to get this last thing out of my system. So, all of the talk about a third Mewtwo Mega Evolution and an MMX-MMY fusion got me thinking, and I thought up a hypothetical "Mega Mewtwo Z" that I tried to design as an amplification of Mewtwo as a whole, rather than an exaggeration of individual traits, like Mega Mewtwo X and Y did. I've always been under the impression that Mewtwo is a heavily offensive Pokémon, so here goes...

Mega Mewtwo Z
Type: Psychic/Fairy

Ability: Super Luck

HP: 106 +0
Attack: 140 +30
Defense: 100 +10
Special Attack: 184 +30
Special Defense: 100 +10
Speed: 150 +20
---
Base Stat Total: 780 +100

Little iffy on it, since I'm no competitive Pokémon expert, especially on his typing. I felt like, since Mega Mewtwo Y was pure Psychic-type, Mega Mewtwo Z needed a secondary typing of some kind, and Fairy made the most sense to me, strangely. I dunno. I guess it's just something about Mewtwo's design. Anyways, any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from ZephyrZ ZephyrZ , since you influenced the design philosophy I (tried) to follow.

Also, new Christmas-themed avatar featuring Mew, Mewtwo, and Ambertwo! :3 Wee-hee!

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Charizard and Blaziken are already there.... but we still need to see Umbreon, the actual Mewtwo and moar Pikachu! Scizor or Scyther and Greninja would be very cool too....
Also, Aron as support! Or Aggron as playable too!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Charizard and Blaziken are already there.... but we still need to see Umbreon, the actual Mewtwo and moar Pikachu! Scizor or Scyther and Greninja would be very cool too....
Also, Aron as support! Or Aggron as playable too!
But, if regular Mewtwo gets in, I won't know which one to main! D=

Pikachu, Ph. D is the best Pikachu.

For Pokken? Sure, I'll toss my prediction in the ring.
I think Victini could be involved somehow. There's not much about it outside of the Black & White movie, and where else but a fighting tournament would one expect it to be?
Also, a playable Genesect with Drives as part of the moveset could bring a unique playstyle to Tekken combat.

Sonicninja115

For Pokken? Sure, I'll toss my prediction in the ring.
I think Victini could be involved somehow. There's not much about it outside of the Black & White movie, and where else but a fighting tournament would one expect it to be?
Also, a playable Genesect with Drives as part of the moveset could bring a unique playstyle to Tekken combat.
I was just thinking of Genesect as an addition!

Also, what about Tyranitiar or Volcorana?

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I want to make my Metapod ditto in Pokkén....
....and.... a.... Ditto ditto?

EDIT: Wait, a Ditto that has moves like Double's from Skullgirls would be actually a cool variety to the game....

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So the other day I said that Mega Charizard X's color scheme is part of why it looks so little like the original, right? Well I just stumbled across this image.
Wow. That makes a lot more of a difference than even I was expecting. Now it almost doesn't even look different enough.

...Anyway, Sceptile is rumored to be the leaked Pokken Pokemon. It's got a decently sized fanbase, especially after there wasn't a grass starter in Smash, so I think it makes sense. It's also got a somewhat humanoid appearance and a Mega Evolution, which probably makes it all the more easy for them to work with.

Grovyle is one of my favorite Pokemon, and although I actually like Grovyle more than Sceptile, I've pretty fond of Sceptile just for its associations with Grovyle. I even kind of want to see Sceptile in Smash. Also Mega Sceptile is the only Grass/Dragon type, which is pretty awesome.

Here are the images of the leak, btw. They seem pretty convincing.

Mega Mewtwo Z
Type: Psychic/Fairy

Ability: Super Luck

HP: 106 +0
Attack: 140 +30
Defense: 100 +10
Special Attack: 184 +30
Special Defense: 100 +10
Speed: 150 +20
---
Base Stat Total: 780 +100

Little iffy on it, since I'm no competitive Pokémon expert, especially on his typing. I felt like, since Mega Mewtwo Y was pure Psychic-type, Mega Mewtwo Z needed a secondary typing of some kind, and Fairy made the most sense to me, strangely. I dunno. I guess it's just something about Mewtwo's design. Anyways, any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from ZephyrZ ZephyrZ , since you influenced the design philosophy I (tried) to follow.
I got tagged! I feel so special.
....I know there's nothing that special about being tagged, but come on, let me have my fun.

The fairy type is an odd choice. Although, I am intrigued. Most fairy types are pink and girly - Mewtwo, however, would probably make one bad-a fairy. I always saw it as more of a dark type, though, thanks to having a "savage heart". I guess the fairy type would make sense if they gave Mew a fairy mega as well. That way, Mewtwo wouldn't need to have a fairy redesign to justify that type. Fairy typing would also give Mewtwo an interesting edge over all uber dragons - ever since the Sinnoh and Unova trios, there's been a lot of powerful dragon type legendaries.

I like those state changes. Strong attack, higher speed, and extra focus on special attack. If I were into competitive Ubers, I'd probably have more input here. But from a casual viewpoint, those stats seem pretty good.

The one thing I'd change, though, is its ability. Not only does Super Luck not seem terribly fitting for Mewtwo, but it's also a normal ability. Think of Mega Rayquaza and the Primals - all three of them were given stupid broken abilities. Mewtwo deserves such a honor. If were were to give it an already existing ability, however, I like the sound of Adaptability. It'd make Mewtwo's Pystrike just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yep, Sceptile is the likely newcomer. It was said that the new fighter has the character ン in it's name which is an N sound and Sceptile's japanese name is Jukain.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Can't wait for Cloud to drop by.

Also, MS making a fool of himself, again, on a front page article.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Something that kind of bothers me is how people tend to make a big deal out of sword users in Smash. It is usually under the grounds that they are "too similar" to one another, often emphasizing on their overall fighting technique and the way they swing their sword when compared to someone else, but I feel that this point matters little because what's important is how the character has attributes and mechanics at their very core that make them stand out from one another.
Take Shulk as an example; he has a strong inclination on keeping the opponent at bay with his great range which is kind of similar to Ike but what makes him special is his stat boosting mechanics which no one else has, and that alone makes him a pretty unique and fun character to have on the roster. But some people say "this guy is making a slash just like Ike/Marth, so generic!" and they downplay the importance of having their own mechanics.

And this tendency on wanting to emphasize too much on overall sword technique is ironic, because there are several types of moves shared among many characters in Smash: Mario, Luigi, Falcon and ZSS have an identical Uair; Fox and Sonic share a Down Smash, Little Mac's Down Smash behaves in a sweeping front and back motion just like the Links' Down Smash minus the SA; Falco and Kirby have a similar Bair; DK and Bowser pretty much have a Utilt, Uair, Jab and Bair in common, you can also say that their Dtilts are similar except that Bowser attacks twice. Yet no one ever seems to complain about this, but when it comes to swords is a no-no, somehow.
Just wanted to add that despite this similarities, it's each characters' individual stats, body proportions and overall feel are different which affects the behavior of said moves, this is why I don't think this is a problem at all. The same applies to sword users, their bodies and weapon size vary from each other, after all, someone like Ike has, aside from Counter, zero similarities with Marth. This is why I think it isn't fair when people saw Cloud and accused some of his moves as "generic slashes", because first, basic slashing comes from having a sword so what did you expect? It's like fretting over two boxers using the standard One-Two punch, it's a fundamental move of their fighting style. And secondly, you are downplaying a lot of the character's individual traits.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something that kind of bothers me is how people tend to make a big deal out of sword users in Smash. It is usually under the grounds that they are "too similar" to one another, often emphasizing on their overall fighting technique and the way they swing their sword when compared to someone else, but I feel that this point matters little because what's important is how the character has attributes and mechanics at their very core that make them stand out from one another.
Take Shulk as an example; he has a strong inclination on keeping the opponent at bay with his great range which is kind of similar to Ike but what makes him special is his stat boosting mechanics which no one else has, and that alone makes him a pretty unique and fun character to have on the roster. But some people say "this guy is making a slash just like Ike/Marth, so generic!" and they downplay the importance of having their own mechanics.

And this tendency on wanting to emphasize too much on overall sword technique is ironic, because there are several types of moves shared among many characters in Smash: Mario, Luigi, Falcon and ZSS have an identical Uair; Fox and Sonic share a Down Smash, Little Mac's Down Smash behaves in a sweeping front and back motion just like the Links' Down Smash minus the SA; Falco and Kirby have a similar Bair; DK and Bowser pretty much have a Utilt, Uair, Jab and Bair in common, you can also say that their Dtilts are similar except that Bowser attacks twice. Yet no one ever seems to complain about this, but when it comes to swords is a no-no, somehow.
Just wanted to add that despite this similarities, it's each characters' individual stats, body proportions and overall feel are different which affects the behavior of said moves, this is why I don't think this is a problem at all. The same applies to sword users, their bodies and weapon size vary from each other, after all, someone like Ike has, aside from Counter, zero similarities with Marth. This is why I think it isn't fair when people saw Cloud and accused some of his moves as "generic slashes", because first, basic slashing comes from having a sword so what did you expect? It's like fretting over two boxers using the standard One-Two punch, it's a fundamental move of their fighting style. And secondly, you are downplaying a lot of the character's individual traits.
People just hate it when their prized brawlers get outspaced.

Though to be fair, if you've gone up against the likes of Melee/Brawl Marth who invalidated many characters by sheer virtue of range and frame data alone, the bad reputation is kind of understandable. Link, a swordsman who's been around since the beginning, never gets this because, well, he's Link, and also because he's generally too slow to be a huge threat.

Oh, and Mewtwo is secretly a sword character.

Sonicninja115

Hey, so you guys remember the Jab-Utilt infinite/kill combo, right? Well I might have solved it.

It seems that if you do Jab-Step Utilt, it directly counteracts the DI. This allows the infinite to work and the Combo to link. Plus, I am going to test how Rage effects this combo, as Mewsquared is getting it waaaay too often. I am pretty sure there might be multiple hitboxes that lead to the Usmash.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Hey, so you guys remember the Jab-Utilt infinite/kill combo, right? Well I might have solved it.

It seems that if you do Jab-Step Utilt, it directly counteracts the DI. This allows the infinite to work and the Combo to link. Plus, I am going to test how Rage effects this combo, as Mewsquared is getting it waaaay too often. I am pretty sure there might be multiple hitboxes that lead to the Usmash.
Shhhhhhhh let's keep this a secret until all the patches are done and gone....
Then people will see who is "worst character in the game".

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647

Question: do you have to step after every jab so it's like jab-step > utilt > jab-step > utilt > etc. etc. or do you only need to do it once? Good luck on your research as well!

Sonicninja115

Question: do you have to step after every jab so it's like jab-step > utilt > jab-step > utilt > etc. etc. or do you only need to do it once? Good luck on your research as well!
It depends on their DI. If they DI back and you step forward, they might be able to get out backwards. I need to find the formula, but it might be every time or every other time.

Update: It works! I haven't fully tested it, but it seems to work fine. The timing is strange, but I haven't labbed/Muscle memoried this combo alot.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Shhhhhhhh let's keep this a secret until all the patches are done and gone....
Then people will see who is "worst character in the game".
I dunno about allofo you guys, but I'd rather have Mewtwo be a low tier character who's fun to watch and play than a high tier character who spams the same combo over and over and over in an infinite lock.

Sonicninja115

I dunno about allofo you guys, but I'd rather have Mewtwo be a low tier character who's fun to watch and play than a high tier character who spams the same combo over and over and over in an infinite lock.
The infinite is still really hard, and when stepping forward, it makes it even harder to get it to chain. The infinite is still in question, but the kill combo is working now.

Sonicninja115

Can we get a visual demonstration?
I don't have video capabilities. Also, my internet isn't good enough to load a video to youtube directly from the game. Sorry... Try just getting the Step-Utilt down. It should be rather noticeable. You will know you have done the whole combo correctly when A. Utilt-Usmash trues. B. The opponent is sent a bit behind and above Mewtwo instead of directly above him. This is why I say the infinite might not work. It might send them too far away.

Is that a sad or good thing? just joking, but if you could get a better win record in one night then these people have in weeks/months with multiple characters, that just goes to show how bad most Mewtwo mains are. However, great job for getting that high with him so fast!

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I like to look at it as, that's just how good I am. xD I feel better that way.
If I think about how bad the others are, it gets depressing.... :S

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't have video capabilities. Also, my internet isn't good enough to load a video to youtube directly from the game. Sorry... Try just getting the Step-Utilt down. It should be rather noticeable. You will know you have done the whole combo correctly when A. Utilt-Usmash trues. B. The opponent is sent a bit behind and above Mewtwo instead of directly above him. This is why I say the infinite might not work. It might send them too far away.
You could upload a replay and let people find it by friend-ing you. I know I've found a couple matches from MM mains just by using the default search options alone.

Is that a sad or good thing? just joking, but if you could get a better win record in one night then these people have in weeks/months with multiple characters, that just goes to show how bad most Mewtwo mains are. However, great job for getting that high with him so fast!
That definitely supports my theory of Mewtwo being the definitive "fun" character of this game. That said, how does Anther's Ladder work, I've had a couple people mention it at tournaments but I never understood what they were getting at?

Top Bottom