• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Okay i can say that NO ONE saw this coming.

Freaking CLOUD STRIFE is now in Smash :D More excited than i thought i would be!

I wonder what the Special Smash Direct in December is gonna be about, any guesses?

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Cloud though? Didn't see that one coming. He looks pretty cool.

Shadow Mewtwo looks so sick. Hell yeah.

Fates special edition!!! It's releasing earlier than I thought too! This is probably the first time I'm gonna preorder something... Get hyped!

I might have screamed too much during the direct... hopefully my neighbors didn't hear. @_@

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Theory about Mewtwo and Pokken. Shadow Mewtwo is just the X version in permanent form while in game, regular Mewtwo is a separate playable character with Y as it's mega evo. Makes as much sense as having another Pikachu with Luchadore outfit/moves.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Bit late to the party, but I'll just run down my feelings on the Direct. Firstly, the Splatoon content looks awesome! I don't play that game nearly as much as I should, but the new maps looked really cool! I'll definitely have to get back into Splatoon sometime soon. Secondly, I'll probably pick up Twilight Princess HD eventually, because I've never played the original, unfortunately. Hopefully, I'll like it, but it's hard for me to judge, having never played regular Twilight Princess. Furthermore, I'm really excited for Fire Emblem: Fates! Despite using Lucina frequently in casual matches in Smash Bros., I've never really played Awakening, or any Fire Emblem game, for that matter. I'm hesitant to start into the series with Fates, but I've gotta start somewhere, right? As a person who greatly enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, I'm very excited for Hyrule Warriors Legends, too, and Linkle looks great! I'm not sure what the general consensus on her is, but I, for one, think that she and her double crossbows look fun to play as. I find her Spin Kick charming, as well. Also, I wish the Direct had touched more on Paper Jam, but what we saw looked nice, so I'll settle. Oh, and Shadow Mewtwo being confirmed playable in Pokkén Tournament rocks, and his Trainer has piqued my interest, as well! I can't wait to use him!

For me, the highlight of the Direct was definitely Star Fox Zero. I love Star Fox, and I'm super-excited that Zero seems to be taking heavily after 64. Star Fox 64 is the best Star Fox game, in my opinion, so the subsequent iterations in the series were a bit of a letdown. Anyways, I don't know if it's just me, but Zero's graphics look like they've substantially improved since E3. I think that bodes well for the game, especially if the extra time is being devoted to fixing the control issues that players apparently had. Alternatively, a beefier multiplayer experience would be nice. I don't think Star Fox Zero needs it, per se, but I certainly wouldn't turn it away, especially after Assault's fantastic multiplayer experience. Zero is confirmed to have some kind of online functionality, so take that for what you will...

Also, probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not that excited for Cloud. I don't have anything against him, but he doesn't really excite me, either. I've never played Final Fantasy 7, so Cloud doesn't connect with me in any special way, and his moveset looked rather boring to me. I'm not sure what the whole "Limit Break" thing was about, though, so maybe I'm missing some important information. At any rate, and I never thought I'd say this, I probably would have found Geno or Mallow more exciting, Square-owned additions to Smash. Maybe even Black Mage, especially after seeing how well-implemented he is in Super Smash Flash 2 and the SE-developed Mario sports games. I realize that none of those can compare to Cloud's level of iconicity, but it's just hard for me to get hyped for a character that doesn't really interest me, is all.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Furthermore, I'm really excited for Fire Emblem: Fates! Despite using Lucina frequently in casual matches in Smash Bros., I've never really played Awakening, or any Fire Emblem game, for that matter. I'm hesitant to start into the series with Fates, but I've gotta start somewhere, right?
If you're interested in trying the FE series and you're hesitant about Fates, you could always download Sacred Stones and/or Rekka no Ken on the Wii U eshop. I've personally never played Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones was just alright but they're more akin to most of the other Fire Emblem games. Awakening isn't hard to find either if you have a 3DS although it changed a lot.

I should also mention Rekka no Ken is just called Fire Emblem in NA and most likely everywhere outside of Japan. I just call it by its Japanese title since its English title is shared with the series and it's not the first of the series. I'm not sure how rare Shadow Dragon is but I know the Tellius games are incredibly rare.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If you're interested in trying the FE series and you're hesitant about Fates, you could always download Sacred Stones and/or Rekka no Ken on the Wii U eshop. I've personally never played Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones was just alright but they're more akin to most of the other Fire Emblem games. Awakening isn't hard to find either if you have a 3DS although it changed a lot.

I should also mention Rekka no Ken is just called Fire Emblem in NA and most likely everywhere outside of Japan. I just call it by its Japanese title since its English title is shared with the series and it's not the first of the series. I'm not sure how rare Shadow Dragon is but I know the Tellius games are incredibly rare.
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely look into the Wii U eShop titles! I was hesitant to start in at Awakening for the same reasons as Fates, so this is definitely good news for me. Thanks again!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dk vs Mewtwo what do you guys think the mu is? As for me i think its 6-4 DK
While he's probably the most difficult of the super-heavies to fight overall, I still see it as even. He's very vulnerable in disadvantage and his recovery is prone to being spiked. Just avoid head-on confrontations whenever you can unless he's in the air facing you, and use your shadow balls to maximum benefit.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely look into the Wii U eShop titles! I was hesitant to start in at Awakening for the same reasons as Fates, so this is definitely good news for me. Thanks again!
The Tellius games (aka Ike's games, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) are amazzzinggg! Look into them!!! They're pretty rare but definitely worth it. If you don't mind emulating, I'd go with that.

Not sure whether or not the Tellius games are a good start for a FE game, but they're definitely among the best. If you end up liking Rekka no Ken, Sacred Stones, Awakening, and/or Fates (which you most likely will) then definitely check them out.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So the Direct confirmed that Shadow Mewtwo is indeed going to be playable, and that there's going to be a limited time Shadow Mewtwo Amiibo Card.

I'm not sure if I'm getting the card or not. It's super tempting and looks cool and all, but it doesn't sound like it really does much. It just unlocks Shadow Mewtwo instantly without you having to do it the hard way.

...The best way to start FE is with Awakening, thanks to casual mode, the ability to grind, and its relatively low difficulty. I hear Birthright is a really good starting game to for the same reasons. Sacred Stones doesn't have casual mode, but it's still pretty easy and gives you a chance to grind once you get far enough in(though grinding money isn't easy in that one). Finally, Lyn's story in FE7 is basically a huge tutorial, and I found experience was just far too plentiful in Eliwood normal to provide any serious challenge. But then again, by the time I played FE7, I was already pretty experienced in FE.

Last edited:

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Shadowball is super good in the MU but i still can't see how its even. Mewtwo is like a feather compared to him who is a tank his moves are all heavy hitters and his throw leads to kills for days. I can sort of it see it as close to even but not quite. You put in all this work and he just does stuff. Reminds me of the Marth vs DK MU back in the brawl days where the MU was really close to even when both players were playing on point, but the Marth player for the most part had to put in all this work and make sure he spaces everything perfectly because anything whiffed could most likely lead to a possible death. All in all i think the DK has a much easier time handling the MU even without any MU knowledge than vice versa so i guess it could be close to it but not quite even imo.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Thanks for all the extra input, guys! It really is helpful, even though I'm slightly torn now:p. From what I'm hearing, I'll still check out the eShop titles, but I'll definitely be picking up Fates and hopefully Awakening, as well. Also, I've never emulated a video game before, but I might look into it if the Tellius games are as good as you're saying, DrRiceBoy DrRiceBoy . Once again, thanks for all the help, you guys!

Also, in regards to the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card, I doubt I'll be using it, even if I do purchase it. It looks cool, but I prefer to unlock characters and rewards the hard way. It feels more satisfying to me, somehow. I can't really explain it, but it's also the reason that I unlocked all of The Wonderful 101's secret characters the hard way, even ridiculous ones like Wonder-Bayonetta and Prince Vorkken. Platinum Paragon was crazy-hard, and Operation Annihilation was just downright tedious and frustrating, but it was all worth it in the end. Anyways, I digress. The point is, even if I do purchase the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card because it looks cool, I probably won't use it to unlock Shadow Mewtwo.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I was under the impression it came with the game. I'm also guessing it can be used as a regular Mewtwo amiibo for Smash.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I'm always hype for any playable incarnation of our fair lady.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Holy **** I forgot this place exists lol
Anyone hyped for playable Shadow Mewtwo?
Definitely! It's a little strange that Mewtwo himself isn't playable, but I'm more than happy that Shadow Mewtwo is! He's really cool-looking and I love the way his attacks look. However, what's currently holding my attention is Shadow Mewtwo's Trainer.
Screenshot (10).png
According to what little gameplay we've seen, she simply goes by "No Name." Now, what interests me about that is its lack of a hyphen. See, if it was hyphenated, it would imply that she's named "No-name," because "no-name" can be a noun (second definition). However, because "No Name" is a phrase, it implies that we don't know her name, compared to her name actually being No-name.

Of course, that may just be my grammar-obsessive tendencies overanalyzing things:p. In other news, I'd like to know if her little, golden pendant-clasper thingie actually means something, and if she's going to carry over into the mainstream Pokémon games or the Pokémon anime. Mewtwo has never had a Trainer before, so No Name has captured my full attention. Hopefully, she'll get fleshed out somehow, even if it's only via a small, in-game bio, or something trivial like that. I like what very little we've seen of No Name so far, which basically amounts to her design, so I'm optimistic that I'll like her full character, assuming she's expanded upon in some way.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hey guys. :) I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd give you an update on myself!
I'm currently borderline PR'd in NC. AND- considered the top Mewtwo player in the eastern reigon. :3

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hey guys. :) I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd give you an update on myself!
I'm currently borderline PR'd in NC. AND- considered the top Mewtwo player in the eastern reigon. :3
Congrats! Seriously, cheesy Smash-related sound clip aside, I mean it! It's great that Mewtwo is getting some more competitive exposure, especially from someone who has as tight a grip on Smash Bros. as you. Maybe, someday, people will stop placing him at the bottom of the tier list and realize that the Japanese may have a better understanding of Mewtwo than we NTSC'ers do. Do you think you can give me any tips on how to play Mewtwo effectively? I really wanna get better as him.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Congrats! Seriously, cheesy Smash-related sound clip aside, I mean it! It's great that Mewtwo is getting some more competitive exposure, especially from someone who has as tight a grip on Smash Bros. as you. Maybe, someday, people will stop placing him at the bottom of the tier list and realize that the Japanese may have a better understanding of Mewtwo than we NTSC'ers do. Do you think you can give me any tips on how to play Mewtwo effectively? I really wanna get better as him.
If you're up for some matches, I'd love to play ya. :)

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
lol. Meanwhile I'm stuck here being a single lady. Can someone tell me what changed since I left?
I can't really say much. I've been absent as well.
What I can tell you is that I've improved quite a lot. And I've been participating in a good number of local NC tournies as of late. :)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If you're up for some matches, I'd love to play ya. :)
Thanks a million for the offer, but I'll have to pass. I'm out and about and posting from mobile right now, so I'm unable to get to my Wii U. I might be able to play in a little while, though. I'm not sure what time I'll be home, but I'll PM you when I'm available if you're online, if that's alright with you.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Thanks a million for the offer, but I'll have to pass. I'm out and about and posting from mobile right now, so I'm unable to get to my Wii U. I might be able to play in a little while, though. I'm not sure what time I'll be home, but I'll PM you when I'm available if you're online, if that's alright with you.
Sounds good to me!

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I got my Mewtwo amiibo today. Oh the joy of looking at her sitting across from me on my vanity mirror! I fear to open her box for I must protect this totem of our fair lady from the impurities of the outside world...

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I got my Mewtwo amiibo today. Oh the joy of looking at her sitting across from me on my vanity mirror! I fear to open her box for I must protect this totem of our fair lady from the impurities of the outside world...
I also got mine today too! :D

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My best friend alreadywhen it came out cause he's European lol
Best Mewtwo win I ever had. 7 player match, I spammed Shadow Balls, only 1 guy left, I get banned from using Shadow Ball. The guy tries throwing a fully charged Water Shuriken in my face. Confusion. I won

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
So I was walking with my friend to a club activity at a park and we stopped at a GameStop along the way. Turns out there were 2~4 Mewtwo amiibos and he decided to buy one. I had no money. He only had enough money for one.

...tears were shed.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Least you people can find the damn thing. Only stores that have amiibo here are EB Games and Walmart and EB didn't have M2. Didn't check Walmart but EB said it's a Toys R Us exclusive which I don't have in my city. Probably gonna have to order it off Amazon or ebay like most of my collection.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Man, been awhile since I've visited here. Sup everyone. How goes the Mewtwo life? Think we'll have a problem with Cloud?

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Meanwhile the only amiibo I have is.... errrr.... I barely have games. It's hard being a Brazilian.
I can't even buy "cheap" Virtual Console games without becoming a North American for some minutes to access eShop and without having an international credit card....
Well, I still want that Cloud.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
We get to reflect Limit Break Blade Beam so if we keep our distance it should go decent
I'm not even worried about blade beam. It's too telegraphed to be good for cloud in the match up. There are only two things Mewtwo really worries about in any matchup, his reach vs yours, and his kill percents vs yours. The range looks slightly in our favor though not by much so our neutral game will be a bit dicey, though we can manage. My main concern is if he's gonna kill us at 50% or he lives to 150% or something like that.

Top Bottom