• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Thanks for the tips! I know exactly what you're talking about with the momentum-ized Up Smash, and it's very useful, indeed. I think my issue is mainly just a lack of trust in myself. I know that Mewtwo's U-Smash is a good punishing option, but I'm too paranoid to properly use it. Thankfully, however, I seem to be getting over said paranoia, so I'll probably be fine within a few days... Or weeks:p. Seriously, though, thanks again for the advice! I don't have very many friends who are into Smash Bros., so I spend a lot of time playing on For Glory, but I'll remember that tip about ledges, in particular. I think that'll prove to be especially useful!

Also, while we're on the topic of Mewtwo's air-to-ground game, I've had this idea floating around in the back of my head for awhile that I think I'll share. Basically, I thought it would be extremely useful if Mewtwo's N-Air had transcendent priority and trampled. For those who don't know, "trampling" is an attack property that makes the user immune to freeze frames when the attack in question clangs; Mewtwo's jab has it. What do guys think? Would it be very useful, or would it be a pointless change?
You're most welcome and I'm happy that I could help! :) I'm sure you can overcome your fears and do really well, wish you the best of luck! :D

Awesome idea for the neutral air as well, the move definitely needs a higher priority or something else added to it. Not sure what, just feels like the move is missing something that could be really beneficial.

Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Thanks for the explanations, guys! It makes a lot more sense now. Also, for the record, I do prefer Roy and his fiery sword to Marth in Super Smash Bros., althought I like Lucina more than either of them. The three Marths are just really fun to mess around with, I guess.

Welcome, fellow potential Mewtwo main! Usually, I find that the optimal way to play Mewtwo is defensively. Basically, stay defensive until your opponent makes a mistake, and then rush in and capitalize on the opportunity. Shadow Ball and Mewtwo's D-Tilt should help with the defensive play, and Mewtwo's punish potential almost speaks for itself. Disable follows up into basically anything, Mewtwo's Smashes and Shadow Ball hit like trains, and my namesake kills at higher percentages. Also, keep a fully charged Shadow Ball with you whenever you can, as it's a very valuable tool with utility in recovery, onstage edge-guarding, punishing, zoning, and KO'ing. During neutral play, however, I tend to find uncharged Shadow Balls more useful because they give you an opening to rush in and attack, and they're also easily spammable. Furthermore, recover high whenever possible as Mewtwo, because his frame data at the ledge is particularly poor, especially when combined with his large frame. If you are forced to recover low, though, remember that Confusion and Mewtwo's U-Air can hit through the lips of some stages and catch ledge-guarders... Well, off-guard. Confusion's mini-jump is also useful in this situation.

As for Disable, its best use is as a situational punishing tool. It's short-ranged and tricky to use, but throw it out if your opponent ever gets predictable or uses a move with exceptionally high ending lag. I find that characters with lengthy helpless-landing animations are good targets for Disable, as well. I'm not entirely sure how to optimally use Disable, however, so you might want to get some additional input on that. For more information, such as descriptions of Mewtwo's combos and ways to effectively put pressure on the opponent as Mewtwo, I recommend Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 's guides, which can be found elsewhere on this subforum. They're very useful! Hope this helps! :)
Mewtwo's Up throw usually kill at these percents.
90 % for Light weights, not sure about any other %'s... Medium weight kills at 125-130% and Heavy weights get killed at 150%. Also, not sure about you guys, but if the other player is being arrogant and charging a down angled smash, I use disable and... well. Down Smash. I think Down smash looks cool. I stopped playing Mewtwo a while ago though and plan on learning him again.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Mewtwo's Up throw usually kill at these percents.
90 % for Light weights, not sure about any other %'s... Medium weight kills at 125-130% and Heavy weights get killed at 150%. Also, not sure about you guys, but if the other player is being arrogant and charging a down angled smash, I use disable and... well. Down Smash. I think Down smash looks cool. I stopped playing Mewtwo a while ago though and plan on learning him again.
The Percents depend a lot on rage. I couldn't kill a charizard until 170% because I didn't have any rage.

I kind of feel like no matter how hard you try, Mewtwo is going to have one of the worst options in the game coming back to the stage from the ledge, mainly because of his landing options and fall speed.

Ledge attack/ledge roll/normal ledge getup are predictable and laggy.

After ledge jump, what are you going to do? DJ is way too laggy and slow. Disable won't even work half the time. Shadow Ball is probably the best option, but it's not going to help much unless it's charged. Confusion is decent to trick opponents, but they can honestly just wait until you land. Teleport is also another decent option, but this is also basically a mind game. All of Mewtwo's landing options are garbage IMO. All the opponent has to do is space themselves so they're out of ledge attack range and they're set. They can just wait until you land and then you'll get punished. Landing with Mewtwo is a mind game that the opponent will almost always have an advantage in. You can honestly say this with a lot of characters, but Mewtwo has it the worst IMO. Long-ranged aerials but laggy (bair, uair) and short-ranged aerials with wonky hitboxes (nair, fair) combined with extremely floaty character leads to terrible landing options. His specials are your best bet, but in the end it's all mixups and reads - again, you can say this for a lot of characters, but Mewtwo has it the worst.

Stepping aside from Mewtwo's arguably worst flaw, I've recently started using Mewtwo's Jab 1 into Upsmash more. It's such a good option but I don't think it's a true combo against certain characters with super fast moves (Marth up-b, Mario nair, Yoshi nair, etc etc.) I always messed it up before but it's been working in my favor a lot recently so I'm happy about it. It kills so early!!!
Try doing Jab-Utilt-Usmash. It is possible to DI the Utilt to avoid the weak hit, but it turns it into a 50/50 situation for them. DI and miss the Utilt or attack and stop the Usmash? If the attack, the Utilt will win, if they DI, Usmash will probably win.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
The Percents depend a lot on rage. I couldn't kill a charizard until 170% because I didn't have any rage.

Try doing Jab-Utilt-Usmash. It is possible to DI the Utilt to avoid the weak hit, but it turns it into a 50/50 situation for them. DI and miss the Utilt or attack and stop the Usmash? If the attack, the Utilt will win, if they DI, Usmash will probably win.
Are you sure that it's possible for everyone to DI after Jab to avoid weak utilt? From the testing i did most characters the combo works on would get hit by weak utilt regardless of DI
(Might need to rewrite alot of the thread i made about it of this is the case :p )

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Are you sure that it's possible for everyone to DI after Jab to avoid weak utilt? From the testing i did most characters the combo works on would get hit by weak utilt regardless of DI
(Might need to redo the whole thread i wrote about it of this is the case :p )
I have noticed that some people are able to get out when fighting my brothers. I am pretty sure I either mistimed the Utilt or I might've hit with the sourspot of Jab.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In customs related news, I've just recently managed to collect every one on my 3DS. Fittingly, the FINAL custom was a FINAL Cutter one: Upper Cutter.

I've also noticed how almost everything surrounding Mewtwo seems to be getting more positive. Whether it's due to the naysayers growing quiet or more and more things being discovered I don't know, but it's still nice to see.

Edit: Oh, and a fairly significant amount of people picking him up recently.

At any rate, right now it's the Lucas boards feeling the blues.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

In customs related news, I've just recently managed to collect every one on my 3DS. Fittingly, the FINAL custom was a FINAL Cutter one: Upper Cutter.

I've also noticed how almost everything surrounding Mewtwo seems to be getting more positive. Whether it's due to the naysayers growing quiet or more and more things being discovered I don't know, but it's still nice to see.

Edit: Oh, and a fairly significant amount of people picking him up recently.

At any rate, right now it's the Lucas boards feeling the blues.
Nobody loves Lucas, Claus is all the rage right now.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The Mewtwo Amiibo has been up for Pre-orders on Best Buy for at least four hours now. You know what that probably means?
The Mewtwo amiibo isn't going to be a unicorn. Hooray for actually stocking DLC characters!

This is also import to me because I don't have the money to spend on pre-orders right now.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

The Mewtwo Amiibo has been up for Pre-orders on Best Buy for at least four hours now. You know what that probably means?
The Mewtwo amiibo isn't going to be a unicorn. Hooray for actually stocking DLC characters!

This is also import to me because I don't have the money to spend on pre-orders right now.
I was about to order it and then they closed pre orders.

He would be the first amiibo that I was able to get without pure luck...

Why Nintendo!?!

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
The Best Buy page was weird, I'd click the Pre-Order button but he'd disappear from my cart. Kept trying, and eventually Mewtwo was in there, but when I clicked checkout, it said he was sold out and removed him from my order. Finally managed to reserve one for release day at my local store for pick up. First amiibo I've ever pre-ordered, and just my third overall. I'm WAY behind.

Really hope Wolf gets revealed for the Direct, the longer he goes unannounced, the more I fear he won't make it.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Apparently Japan hasn't received any news about a Direct of there own.

Don't get too overexcited, guys. This direct may just be localization info and news we already know about from Japanese magazines/directs/wherever else Japanese gamers get news from nowadays.

Last edited:

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Though wasn't Shulk or someone announced originally on a Japanese direct then had a trailer in English later? Could be similar?

Though I see what you mean, hopefully there will be at least something smash related involved with the ballot closing, even if it's a simple as they are still considering which characters to choose from the smash ballot.

What do you guys think might be announced if smash does get featured? New stages? Characters? Perhaps more gamemodes?

Hoping we see a character reveal, a newcomer or perhaps wolf returning would be awesome!

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Though wasn't Shulk or someone announced originally on a Japanese direct then had a trailer in English later? Could be similar?

Though I see what you mean, hopefully there will be at least something smash related involved with the ballot closing, even if it's a simple as they are still considering which characters to choose from the smash ballot.

What do you guys think might be announced if smash does get featured? New stages? Characters? Perhaps more gamemodes?

Hoping we see a character reveal, a newcomer or perhaps wolf returning would be awesome!
I can definitely see a character reveal imminent. If I were to place a few bets, it'd be King K. Rool, Inkling or Wolf who could get revealed as a DLC character. Stages could be Gangplank Galleon or Inkopolis respectively (Though Wolf doesn't need to bring a stage with him) but a new mode would be fun too, such as an Adventure Mode.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Apparently Japan hasn't received any news about a Direct of there own.

Don't get too overexcited, guys. This direct may just be localization info and news we already know about from Japanese magazines/directs/wherever else Japanese gamers get news from nowadays.
From I read everybody's getting the direct, not just North America. It'll be focused on upcoming 3DS/WiiU titles, so maybe don't expect new games but they still tend to surprise us with Smash. Oh, and there won't be any mobile/NX discussion.

It would be something if they timed a Wolf reveal after talking about Star Fox Zero.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Probably not, considering that Nintendo is located in Japan.
From I read everybody's getting the direct, not just North America. It'll be focused on upcoming 3DS/WiiU titles, so maybe don't expect new games but they still tend to surprise us with Smash. Oh, and there won't be any mobile/NX discussion.

It would be something if they timed a Wolf reveal after talking about Star Fox Zero.
Oh, well, you're right, it seems. There's going to be one in Japan. They just revealed that a little bit later than they did for West.

Oh, wait, no, I'm getting confused.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

The new direct is focused on games coming out for the Wii U/3DS in the winter quarter, it might talk about other things as it says focused, and not on the new games.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
....And NOW it's actually been confirmed in Japan.

Okay, now it's safe to start hyping at reasonable degrees.

Sonicninja115

My hope is for a new charm especially since that means a large balance patch, and Mewtwo might make the list! Maybe, it would be cool to see him get a couple of buffs.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
People, CALM. DOWN. They are just going to announce Metroid Prime 4 and Super Mario Galaxy 3 for this Christmas....

And King Shovel Shandley for Smash.
Free.
With Mewtwo patches that will put him in Uber Tier of Smash.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
^ You forgot the announcement of Primal Dark Mega Mewtwo Z Libre fused with Kyurem as a playable character in Pokken.

..Wielding a spoon sword, of course.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'm hoping for a Fire Emblem Fates US release date reveal and some Mewtwo buffs. Anything else would be icing on the cake for me. Pretty excited for the inevitable character reveal though! =D

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Why does everyone act as if the patch is going to come on the exact day of the direct? It certainly didn't happen when Lucas was revealed.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Sakurai has just tweeted about the direct! LET THE HYPE BEGIN!!!

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yes another Shovel Knight supporter!!

I think that the safest guess who could be shown in todays direct is Wolf though , but other than that it could basically be anyone.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Yes another Shovel Knight supporter!!

I think that the safest guess who could be shown in todays direct is Wolf though , but other than that it could basically be anyone.
My thing with Shovel Knight is that he has a large fanbase and enough moves to make a moveset.

I think Wolf is most likely for today, and I think King K Rool is too big for Smash.

Other then that I think it could almost literally be anyone.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
My thing with Shovel Knight is that he has a large fanbase and enough moves to make a moveset.

I think Wolf is most likely for today, and I think King K Rool is too big for Smash.

Other then that I think it could almost literally be anyone.
Is he bigger than Bowser and DDD?
Well, if I was to choose one of the three most popular choices, Shantae would be my personal choice....
But I mean, everyone knows that Lyn won already. Lyn will be joining. Along with Wolf and Sylux.

Sonicninja115

Is he bigger than Bowser and DDD?
Well, if I was to choose one of the three most popular choices, Shantae would be my personal choice....
But I mean, everyone knows that Lyn won already. Lyn will be joining. Along with Wolf and Sylux.
You remember the reason Ridley isn't in the game right? He wouldn't be the one we know and love, just a facsimile. Same with KKR. Plus, KKR doesn't have a large move pool to dip into, they would have to invent entirely new moves that aren't in the DK games.

I agree that Shantae is another plausible choice, I just don't know how big her fanbase is. Whoever is revealed won't be from the Ballot, however, as this charaters slot was found back in April.

Sonicninja115

I like sword characters and I play Shulk, life is good.

Limit break is going to be fun, and I don't think I will have a hard time picking him up because of monado arts and Shulk/Ike.

So, December or later? I think he will probably be released on the smash direct in December.

Top Bottom