• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Yayyyy Shadow Mewtwooo :D
Spectacular! So, the assumed "Dark" moniker was incorrect. Ah, well, what with the whole "Black Pit > Dark Pit" thing, I figured "Black Mewtwo" would follow in suit. That's totally cool, though, because the name "Shadow Mewtwo" reminds me of Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Shadow Lugia. Perhaps Shadow Mewtwo is to Mewtwo as Shadow Lugia is to Lugia? That would be awesome! Now, granted, the process by which Mewtwo becomes Shadow Mewtwo appears to be substantially different from Lugia's equivalent process, but I still don't think the two are that far apart on a conceptual level. I hope we get some official word on a possible correlation, or lack thereof, between the two. Now all I need is a confirmation on whether or not Shadow Mewtwo, or simply Mewtwo himself, is playable! "Shadow Mewtwo Appears" is about as ambiguous as ambiguous gets...

Here's the trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's pretty great!
The part where Mewtwo sends out that 4th wall-smashing wave of shadow energy is particularly GIF-worthy. I'll have to remember to GIF-eyes it and put it in my signature later tonight.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is there a release date for pokemn tournament yet?

And how rare are the Mewtwo ammibos? Common or semi-rare?
The cheapest I could find it after a quick internet search was just barely under 20$ with free shipping on Ebay.

Amiibo scarcity is slowly dying over time. Maybe it'll become cheaper if you're patient enough, especially after it gets released in the US.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
The cheapest I could find it after a quick internet search was just barely under 20$ with free shipping on Ebay.

Amiibo scarcity is slowly dying over time. Maybe it'll become cheaper if you're patient enough, especially after it gets released in the US.
Right now I am just biding my time until I can buy the ammibos I want. They should be cheap enough in six months.

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117
They need that Normal Mewtwo shadow form to be an alt costume in Smash.

Also, I'm surprised by how many people prefer his mega Y over his mega X, I mean, Y form is wayyy too cutesy for Mewtwo for me lol. I'd prefer no megas anyway, but that's just me :p

Edit: If anything, Y form looks more like Mega Mew :D

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just got my Mewtwo amiibo in the mail. It's definitely the best looking of the Pokemon amiibo. Just gotta wait for Falco now.

Still I really wish DLC characters had customs, one of the best parts of getting a new amiibo is customizing them to your liking...

Sonicninja115

Just got my Mewtwo amiibo in the mail. It's definitely the best looking of the Pokemon amiibo. Just gotta wait for Falco now.

Still I really wish DLC characters had customs, one of the best parts of getting a new amiibo is customizing them to your liking...
I wonder if they are going to patch them in, Mewtwo has custom moves, but they are not complete yet. Remember the 3DS glitch?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wonder if they are going to patch them in, Mewtwo has custom moves, but they are not complete yet. Remember the 3DS glitch?
To be honest, I'd be totally fine with them delaying the ballot characters another two months if it means Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu all get customs like the rest of the cast.

That aside, I'm curious to know what the current stance on customs is, especially among DLC mains, as I thought they were well received at EVO as well as the changing opinions towards Miis.

Sonicninja115

To be honest, I'd be totally fine with them delaying the ballot characters another two months if it means Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu all get customs like the rest of the cast.

That aside, I'm curious to know what the current stance on customs is, especially among DLC mains, as I thought they were well received at EVO as well as the changing opinions towards Miis.
I am pretty sure most people think customs are dead. In the future, however, I think that they will be turned on. Without customs for DLC, then it is a bit unfair for them.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hey, guys. Long time. What have I missed?
Welcome back! I missed you, almighty God Jesse:p! Where've you been? Anyway, I'm obviously not the best authority on this, given that I made my grand reentrance just earlier this week, but I do know that you missed Shadow Mewtwo's reveal for Pokkén Tournament. I don't know much beyond that, however.
I agree. I don't have many amiibo, but I definitely share your sentiment on Custom Moves. It's nice to not have to worry about switching between Mewtwo's default set and my personalized set depending on whether or not I'm online, but, aside from that, it's a rather disappointing thing. Exempting Wonder-Red, Custom Moves for Mewtwo and, by extension, the other DLC characters definitely tops my "most-wanted" list. I actually saw this really cool list of Custom Move ideas for Mewtwo on GameFAQs a little while ago. I'll see if I can find it!

EDIT: Here you go! I personally think this guy has some pretty neat ideas. Oh, and here's another idea from the same user that I found while searching for the aforementioned one. It's a little less impressive, and I'm not entirely for it, but I thought it was worth sharing. At the very least, it might provide an interesting discussion topic.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just wanted to say that you 3DS owners are luck....

TCG artwork, right?
Between this and Pokken, my opinion on Mega Mewtwo X might be changing a bit.

...But I'll still never learn to like this one piece of official artwork...
I think it's those legs that really bother me.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Can't wait to never be able to find a Roy amiibo. Might be able to find Mewtwo, but Roy? That's a joke.

:crying:
Really? I mean, I don't mean to sound rude, but is Roy really that popular? I'm not well-versed in the Fire Emblem series at all, having yet to play any of the games in the series, but, from what I understand, Roy gets a lot of hate for being a bland, weak Lord who's all-around inferior to his father(?), Eliwood. Once again, I'm only speaking from secondhand experience, so I have no idea if this is well-founded disdain or not, and I mean no harm in saying it. I'm simply regurgitating other peoples' opinions, if you will.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Really? I mean, I don't mean to sound rude, but is Roy really that popular? I'm not well-versed in the Fire Emblem series at all, having yet to play any of the games in the series, but, from what I understand, Roy gets a lot of hate for being a bland, weak Lord who's all-around inferior to his father(?), Eliwood. Once again, I'm only speaking from secondhand experience, so I have no idea if this is well-founded disdain or not, and I mean no harm in saying it. I'm simply regurgitating other peoples' opinions, if you will.
More that he promotes REEEAALLY late, so he's stuck with mediocre stats compared to your other units after a while until he gets his promotion and Sword Of Seals. Then he wrecks face, but still has to be wary of only 20 uses of that weapon.

This actually kind of lines up with his character in-game; it's his first real combat experience, taking up the mantle for his sick father, so naturally his fighting skills aren't quite up to the standards of most other lords, at least not until the end of the game.
For this reason he's one of the most popular lords in Japan, as they appreciate that Roy, or preferably any lord isn't expected to take care of everything himself, but rather with the help of the comrades he makes throughout his travels.

And now you know why Japan hates Ike and consistently keep him low on tier lists out of spite.

Edit: Ok I guess the stage selection there doesn't do him too much favours either but the point still stands that relatively few people are interested in using him there.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Where've you been? Anyway, I'm obviously not the best authority on this, given that I made my grand reentrance just earlier this week, but I do know that you missed Shadow Mewtwo's reveal for Pokkén Tournament. I don't know much beyond that, however.
I've been lurking, mostly just busy with life, work and Heroes of the Storm. Glad to see at least someone has missed me.
I saw the Shadow Mewtwo announcement, looks kinda fugly to me, but whatevs, lol. Been mastering the ways of the Falcon, waiting for Mewtwo's inevitable buffs.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Sometimes I'm pretty sure his Melee fanbase is bigger then his Fire Emblem fanbase, especially since his game never got an official release. That said, hatebases can be very vocal. They may make it look like there are more people who hate a certain character more then there really is. This is especially true in the Smash Fanbase where people like to blame certain characters for "stealing" the character slot from a character they may want.

I've drifted into Serenes Forest Forums once or twice and actually say a Roy fan or two while I was there, but not Roy haters. That said, I may of just been in the wrong section, but I think people in the Smash Fandom feel much more strongly about him then people in the FE fandom.

Personally, I've never played FE6, but I've played FE7 and FE8 both and I loved them. To me, he isn't just representing his character alone; he's representing all of Binding Blade and FE7 both, and as an FE7 fan, that makes me love his inclusion.

And of course, there's also those people who just think Flame Swords are cool (which they are). Actually, I'll bet that's most of his fanbase in general.

Last edited:

Aqua Admin Shelly

Smash Apprentice
Most of Roy's fans are Smash fans, yes.
I always preferred Roy to Marth, don't really know why.
I like his red hair and colour swaps, I like the Sword of Seals, I like how he's all like, "TERIYAH!", and "EEYUP!"
And his new design kicks metric craptons of ass.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Thought I was in the Ike social for a moment since FE was being talked about. Just woke up and clicked on my alerts without reading them.

Never finished Roy's game though I do wanna go back to it someday. As for the amiibos...I have all 4 FE ones. Cost me a pretty penny since none of them actually came out in the EB Games in my city. I'll only get the Roy one if he has some use in Codename Steam or any other game where he may be of actual use.

Speaking of amiibos, a lot of people seem to be mentioning that they already have the Mewtwo one. Did he come out already in other places around the world? Was he preordered and mailed early? I wanna get the Mewtwo one myself so I gave my cousin $25 since I work on the day he officially releases.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You know, before Mewtwo was even revealed to be DLC I really tried my best to go back to Melee and learn how to play. Of course, knowing Mewtwo in Melee, it was not fun. SO I tried P:M instead and that was much more fun.

When he came out I was pretty excited and I played Mewtwo for a week and then never touched him again. In the past few weeks I've been super invested in wanting to play him and main him. I normally play characters because of how fond I am of them from their source games and like to stick to them based on that main factor. The way Mewtwo is presented in this game is just neat, his VA does an amazing job with the laugh and he sounds pretty cool when damaged. I like the whole shenanigans his Shadow Ball can be by using it as a recovery option or to charge in for a grab or Smash attack. He really feels right up my alley and has like the best victory animations (that laugh tho).

But by far, the best thing about Mewtwo. Is his three paws.

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Heya everyone, new to the site and great to be here!

I'm really thinking about making mewtwo a main, always enjoyed playing with him even with little success.

Hmm, always wanted to get to playing mewtwo more, though I struggle with how best to play him; ending up usually rushing the other player which doesn't end well. If anyone could give some tips that be much appreciated!

What would be the best way of using disable as well? Never seem to be able to land it right.

Thanks and have great day!

:003:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I just wanted to say that you 3DS owners are luck....

Looks like I finally know what I'll be spending the leftover 1$ in my eShop on...

I want a Mewtwo amiibo... but I'm broke... ;-;

On the topic of Fire Emblem, I beat PoR and RD for the first time a few months ago during my inactiveness on Smashboards. After playing them I was so disappointed in myself for not playing them earlier. I loved SD, NME, Awakening, and SS (SS is the weakest out of the bunch IMO, but still a fantastic game. Unpopular opinion, but I like the DS Fire Emblems more than SS) but have never touched the Tellius games prior to this. Needless to say, PoR/RD became my favorite Fire Emblem game and both are one of my favorite games of all time. It made me love Ike too and I started using him in Smash.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Thought I was in the Ike social for a moment since FE was being talked about. Just woke up and clicked on my alerts without reading them.

Never finished Roy's game though I do wanna go back to it someday. As for the amiibos...I have all 4 FE ones. Cost me a pretty penny since none of them actually came out in the EB Games in my city. I'll only get the Roy one if he has some use in Codename Steam or any other game where he may be of actual use.

Speaking of amiibos, a lot of people seem to be mentioning that they already have the Mewtwo one. Did he come out already in other places around the world? Was he preordered and mailed early? I wanna get the Mewtwo one myself so I gave my cousin $25 since I work on the day he officially releases.
Mewtwo's amiibo released in Europe and Japan a couple of weeks ago, there are plenty of unboxings on YT. Of course, we have to wait until the 13th...

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Thanks for the explanations, guys! It makes a lot more sense now. Also, for the record, I do prefer Roy and his fiery sword to Marth in Super Smash Bros., althought I like Lucina more than either of them. The three Marths are just really fun to mess around with, I guess.
Heya everyone, new to the site and great to be here!

I'm really thinking about making mewtwo a main, always enjoyed playing with him even with little success.

Hmm, always wanted to get to playing mewtwo more, though I struggle with how best to play him; ending up usually rushing the other player which doesn't end well. If anyone could give some tips that be much appreciated!

What would be the best way of using disable as well? Never seem to be able to land it right.

Thanks and have great day!

:003:
Welcome, fellow potential Mewtwo main! Usually, I find that the optimal way to play Mewtwo is defensively. Basically, stay defensive until your opponent makes a mistake, and then rush in and capitalize on the opportunity. Shadow Ball and Mewtwo's D-Tilt should help with the defensive play, and Mewtwo's punish potential almost speaks for itself. Disable follows up into basically anything, Mewtwo's Smashes and Shadow Ball hit like trains, and my namesake kills at higher percentages. Also, keep a fully charged Shadow Ball with you whenever you can, as it's a very valuable tool with utility in recovery, onstage edge-guarding, punishing, zoning, and KO'ing. During neutral play, however, I tend to find uncharged Shadow Balls more useful because they give you an opening to rush in and attack, and they're also easily spammable. Furthermore, recover high whenever possible as Mewtwo, because his frame data at the ledge is particularly poor, especially when combined with his large frame. If you are forced to recover low, though, remember that Confusion and Mewtwo's U-Air can hit through the lips of some stages and catch ledge-guarders... Well, off-guard. Confusion's mini-jump is also useful in this situation.

As for Disable, its best use is as a situational punishing tool. It's short-ranged and tricky to use, but throw it out if your opponent ever gets predictable or uses a move with exceptionally high ending lag. I find that characters with lengthy helpless-landing animations are good targets for Disable, as well. I'm not entirely sure how to optimally use Disable, however, so you might want to get some additional input on that. For more information, such as descriptions of Mewtwo's combos and ways to effectively put pressure on the opponent as Mewtwo, I recommend Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 's guides, which can be found elsewhere on this subforum. They're very useful! Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

I didn't want to wait, so I imported my amiibo off of Amazon Japan.

On the topic of Fire Emblem, I beat PoR and RD for the first time a few months ago during my inactiveness on Smashboards. After playing them I was so disappointed in myself for not playing them earlier. I loved SD, NME, Awakening, and SS (SS is the weakest out of the bunch IMO, but still a fantastic game. Unpopular opinion, but I like the DS Fire Emblems more than SS) but have never touched the Tellius games prior to this. Needless to say, PoR/RD became my favorite Fire Emblem game and both are one of my favorite games of all time. It made me love Ike too and I started using him in Smash.
It's a shame the Tellius series didn't receive the attention/sales it deserved, albeit RD did have some notable flaws. They're one of the prime reasons I can't help but get salty at the current direction of the series and the newfound fandom.

PoR is one of the three surefire games in my personal Top 10. I think I've played through it at least enough to unlock all the bonus map characters.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I didn't want to wait, so I imported my amiibo off of Amazon Japan.

It's a shame the Tellius series didn't receive the attention/sales it deserved, albeit RD did have some notable flaws. They're one of the prime reasons I can't help but get salty at the current direction of the series and the newfound fandom.

PoR is one of the three surefire games in my personal Top 10. I think I've played through it at least enough to unlock all the bonus map characters.
I agree so much with the second paragraph. Currently finishing my 'mandatory unit only' playthrough of RD which is like...playthrough 13 or so. RD is hands down my favourite game of all time and thereforefalls under favourite FE game and whatever other category the game falls under. PoR is good too and I'm actually doing a second playthrough of the game right after I finish the final boss of RD.

Awakening and Fates...eh. I can at least give my opinion on Awakening as a whole and it feels like a step back for FE. Mostly can't stand the children. They both just happen to be the games where Nintendo learned how to advertise the series to a majority in NA. They pretty much never show gameplay and instead show support conversations and cutscenes with violence and cleavage.

As for the Mewtwo amiibo, I'm gonna see if my mom or cousin can get it for me and if not I'll probably have to get it off Amazon if the 8-bit Mario amiibos tell me anything.

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Thanks for the explanations, guys! It makes a lot more sense now. Also, for the record, I do prefer Roy and his fiery sword to Marth in Super Smash Bros., althought I like Lucina more than either of them. The three Marths are just really fun to mess around with, I guess.

Welcome, fellow potential Mewtwo main! Usually, I find that the optimal way to play Mewtwo is defensively. Basically, stay defensive until your opponent makes a mistake, and then rush in and capitalize on the opportunity. Shadow Ball and Mewtwo's D-Tilt should help with the defensive play, and Mewtwo's punish potential almost speaks for itself. Disable follows up into basically anything, Mewtwo's Smashes and Shadow Ball hit like trains, and my namesake kills at higher percentages. Also, keep a fully charged Shadow Ball with you whenever you can, as it's a very valuable tool with utility in recovery, onstage edge-guarding, punishing, zoning, and KO'ing. During neutral play, however, I tend to find uncharged Shadow Balls more useful because they give you an opening to rush in and attack, and they're also easily spammable. Furthermore, recover high whenever possible as Mewtwo, because his frame data at the ledge is particularly poor, especially when combined with his large frame. If you are forced to recover low, though, remember that Confusion and Mewtwo's U-Air can hit through the lips of some stages and catch ledge-guarders... Well, off-guard. Confusion's mini-jump is also useful in this situation.

As for Disable, its best use is as a situational punishing tool. It's short-ranged and tricky to use, but throw it out if your opponent ever gets predictable or uses a move with exceptionally high ending lag. I find that characters with lengthy helpless-landing animations are good targets for Disable, as well. I'm not entirely sure how to optimally use Disable, however, so you might want to get some additional input on that. For more information, such as descriptions of Mewtwo's combos and ways to effectively put pressure on the opponent as Mewtwo, I recommend Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 's guides, which can be found elsewhere on this subforum. They're very useful! Hope this helps! :)
Many thanks for the warm welcome and the very useful Information! :D

Very insightful, my main issue when looking back was my lack of defence, usually trying to keep an aggressive pressure due to how well Mewtwo can punish, which ended up with people just waiting till a good chance to counter. I'll stay back more and wait till a good moment to punish rather than try constantly trying to attack.

Finding his smash attacks to be very very good as well, his up smash is a great punishing for a lot of situations, alongside his forward smash after shielding.

Shadow ball is something for some reason just hardly used, not sure why. Defiantly will be using the move a lot during defensive play and recovery a lot more. Also didn't know about recovering high, I found that the up-b teleport was useful for getting back on stage safely, so ill keep focusing on that.

Hmm, yeah I've been using disable after punishing a forward smash though a lot of cases it seemed to just go through the player. It's very useful when it successfully lands though. Ill use it in the right moments, rather than keep trying to get it to work. Ill have a good look with that guide as well, should help a ton!

This is some really useful information! I'll keep practicing and training with this and hopefully be maining mewtwo very soon. Thank you so much! :)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

Very insightful, my main issue when looking back was my lack of defence, usually trying to keep an aggressive pressure due to how well Mewtwo can punish, which ended up with people just waiting till a good chance to counter. I'll stay back more and wait till a good moment to punish rather than try constantly trying to attack.

Finding his smash attacks to be very very good as well, his up smash is a great punishing for a lot of situations, alongside his forward smash after shielding.

Shadow ball is something for some reason just hardly used, not sure why. Defiantly will be using the move a lot during defensive play and recovery a lot more. Also didn't know about recovering high, I found that the up-b teleport was useful for getting back on stage safely, so ill keep focusing on that.

Hmm, yeah I've been using disable after punishing a forward smash though a lot of cases it seemed to just go through the player. It's very useful when it successfully lands though. Ill use it in the right moments, rather than keep trying to get it to work. Ill have a good look with that guide as well, should help a ton!

This is some really useful information! I'll keep practicing and training with this and hopefully be maining mewtwo very soon. Thank you so much! :)
No problem! Just to clarify, the reason recovering high is the optimal recovery strategy for Mewtwo is because his ledge-grabbing animation is really poor. I can't precisely explain it, but the overall gist of it is that Mewtwo has a lot of vulnerable frames, and his large frame makes him an easy target when grabbing the ledge, so his issues are double that of several characters. It blows, but that's how it is. At the very least, Confusion and Mewtwo's U-Air are good for edge-guard-breaking.

Thankfully, Mewtwo's high recovery is actually pretty nice. A B-reversed Shadow Ball covers massive horizontal distances quickly, Mewtwo's midair jump covers a ton of distance, Confusion gives him a miniature third jump, and Disable can be used to stall in midair to a certain extent. Also, you're kind of right about Teleport being good for getting back onstage. If you're ever recovering high and your opponent tries to follow you into the air, then a downward-angled Teleport can be used to get you from the air to the ground extremely quickly. Its landing lag is quite a bit more than what would be desirable, but it gets the job done. Mewtwo's strength in his recovery comes mostly from its high variability: all 4 of his specials have utility when recovering, and yet only one of them leaves him helpless. Plus, Mewtwo has a zealous midair jump and a healthy set of aerials to go along with it. His recovery isn't what it was in Melee, but it's no slouch in Smash 4.

Anyway, I think I'm starting to ramble, so I'll just wrap up now. In regards to Disable, it's definitely a weird move. I've had opponents like Bowser facing me when I used Disable, and yet they some way or another managed to...duck under it, I guess? It's bizarre and inexplicable, at least as far as I know. Maybe somebody's managed to figure that stuff out and I'm simply not aware, though. Regardless, I totally agree that Disable is awesome when it does land! It's definitely one of the best, if not the best, punishing tools in the game! Finally, always remember to use Shadow Ball! It's good that you're learning to use it more and more, because it's a large part of the reason that Mewtwo is at least partially viable. Killer projectiles are scary, especially since Mewtwo can simply reflect his back at the opponent using Confusion, effectively eliminating any fear of getting whacked in the face with your own attack. Plus, in addition to the aforementioned applications, Shadow Ball can also shatter shields, making it an effective pressure tool if the opponent's shield has been whittled down and hasn't had time to regenerate.

Just as a closing note (I know this post is really long...), it's good that you can comfortably use Mewtwo's U-Smash to punish! I'm still working on getting over my fear of whiffing, but Mewtwo's U-Smash is a fantastic tool for punishing because it kills so early. It's great that you've learned to punish with it already! Once again, I'm glad to help out, and I hope to see more of you around here! We Mewtwo mains are always looking for a new recruit. :)

Sonicninja115

Remember, when recovering high, LC is an option. Also, look into b-reverse confusion, as that is another great mix-up.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I didn't even know Mewtwo had issues with recovering low/to the ledge. I instinctively go to the ledge with all charcters almost all the time since it's free invincibility and since you can't air dodge into the stage anymore.

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
No problem! Just to clarify, the reason recovering high is the optimal recovery strategy for Mewtwo is because his ledge-grabbing animation is really poor. I can't precisely explain it, but the overall gist of it is that Mewtwo has a lot of vulnerable frames, and his large frame makes him an easy target when grabbing the ledge, so his issues are double that of several characters. It blows, but that's how it is. At the very least, Confusion and Mewtwo's U-Air are good for edge-guard-breaking.

Thankfully, Mewtwo's high recovery is actually pretty nice. A B-reversed Shadow Ball covers massive horizontal distances quickly, Mewtwo's midair jump covers a ton of distance, Confusion gives him a miniature third jump, and Disable can be used to stall in midair to a certain extent. Also, you're kind of right about Teleport being good for getting back onstage. If you're ever recovering high and your opponent tries to follow you into the air, then a downward-angled Teleport can be used to get you from the air to the ground extremely quickly. Its landing lag is quite a bit more than what would be desirable, but it gets the job done. Mewtwo's strength in his recovery comes mostly from its high variability: all 4 of his specials have utility when recovering, and yet only one of them leaves him helpless. Plus, Mewtwo has a zealous midair jump and a healthy set of aerials to go along with it. His recovery isn't what it was in Melee, but it's no slouch in Smash 4.

Anyway, I think I'm starting to ramble, so I'll just wrap up now. In regards to Disable, it's definitely a weird move. I've had opponents like Bowser facing me when I used Disable, and yet they some way or another managed to...duck under it, I guess? It's bizarre and inexplicable, at least as far as I know. Maybe somebody's managed to figure that stuff out and I'm simply not aware, though. Regardless, I totally agree that Disable is awesome when it does land! It's definitely one of the best, if not the best, punishing tools in the game! Finally, always remember to use Shadow Ball! It's good that you're learning to use it more and more, because it's a large part of the reason that Mewtwo is at least partially viable. Killer projectiles are scary, especially since Mewtwo can simply reflect his back at the opponent using Confusion, effectively eliminating any fear of getting whacked in the face with your own attack. Plus, in addition to the aforementioned applications, Shadow Ball can also shatter shields, making it an effective pressure tool if the opponent's shield has been whittled down and hasn't had time to regenerate.

Just as a closing note (I know this post is really long...), it's good that you can comfortably use Mewtwo's U-Smash to punish! I'm still working on getting over my fear of whiffing, but Mewtwo's U-Smash is a fantastic tool for punishing because it kills so early. It's great that you've learned to punish with it already! Once again, I'm glad to help out, and I hope to see more of you around here! We Mewtwo mains are always looking for a new recruit. :)
Thanks again for the clarification on some things and don't worry about the post being long, it's all really good information to know! :)

Ill try recovering higher from now on, usually just tried grabbing the ledge normally. Kind of a shame that he has those extra vulnerability frames though. Also wasn't aware of how much landing lag teleport had, most opponents haven't been punishing it, though on practices I've noticed it's easy to punish. Been finding confusion to be really useful, gives Mewtwo a lot of options for recovery options, so thank you so much for that!

Also got to start working on using shadow ball a lot more. Still not sure why I really didn't use it much beforehand. Other than a full charged shot every so often. Ill be trying some ideas out with it, see how it works. :) Thanks for the combo as well Sonicninja, ill give that a go as as well!

Glad to hear that others find disable to work strangely, it's kind of bizarre how it works on some fighters and not with others and with certain moves. Ill start working with it and if I can discover anything with it, ill post any findings I'm able to figure out.

Up smash can be good to catch people out with and It's a very powerful punish to any free falling opponents. It can also have a bit of movement to the move, I'm not sure how to properly explain but it reminded me of snakes up smash in brawl which could slide forward a bit. I'm sure you can find a safe way of using the move without as much risk, under ledges seems the move effective and safe way.

Should definitely be seeing me around here often, your all very friendly and welcoming and I'm very grateful for that! :D With a bit of luck and practice, and the useful information here, I'm sure ill be a new recruit to the mewtwo mains!

:150:

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I kind of feel like no matter how hard you try, Mewtwo is going to have one of the worst options in the game coming back to the stage from the ledge, mainly because of his landing options and fall speed.

Ledge attack/ledge roll/normal ledge getup are predictable and laggy.

After ledge jump, what are you going to do? DJ is way too laggy and slow. Disable won't even work half the time. Shadow Ball is probably the best option, but it's not going to help much unless it's charged. Confusion is decent to trick opponents, but they can honestly just wait until you land. Teleport is also another decent option, but this is also basically a mind game. All of Mewtwo's landing options are garbage IMO. All the opponent has to do is space themselves so they're out of ledge attack range and they're set. They can just wait until you land and then you'll get punished. Landing with Mewtwo is a mind game that the opponent will almost always have an advantage in. You can honestly say this with a lot of characters, but Mewtwo has it the worst IMO. Long-ranged aerials but laggy (bair, uair) and short-ranged aerials with wonky hitboxes (nair, fair) combined with extremely floaty character leads to terrible landing options. His specials are your best bet, but in the end it's all mixups and reads - again, you can say this for a lot of characters, but Mewtwo has it the worst.

Stepping aside from Mewtwo's arguably worst flaw, I've recently started using Mewtwo's Jab 1 into Upsmash more. It's such a good option but I don't think it's a true combo against certain characters with super fast moves (Marth up-b, Mario nair, Yoshi nair, etc etc.) I always messed it up before but it's been working in my favor a lot recently so I'm happy about it. It kills so early!!!

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I kind of feel like no matter how hard you try, Mewtwo is going to have one of the worst options in the game coming back to the stage from the ledge, mainly because of his landing options and fall speed.

Ledge attack/ledge roll/normal ledge getup are predictable and laggy.

After ledge jump, what are you going to do? DJ is way too laggy and slow. Disable won't even work half the time. Shadow Ball is probably the best option, but it's not going to help much unless it's charged. Confusion is decent to trick opponents, but they can honestly just wait until you land. Teleport is also another decent option, but this is also basically a mind game. All of Mewtwo's landing options are garbage IMO. All the opponent has to do is space themselves so they're out of ledge attack range and they're set. They can just wait until you land and then you'll get punished. Landing with Mewtwo is a mind game that the opponent will almost always have an advantage in. You can honestly say this with a lot of characters, but Mewtwo has it the worst IMO. Long-ranged aerials but laggy (bair, uair) and short-ranged aerials with wonky hitboxes (nair, fair) combined with extremely floaty character leads to terrible landing options. His specials are your best bet, but in the end it's all mixups and reads - again, you can say this for a lot of characters, but Mewtwo has it the worst.

Stepping aside from Mewtwo's arguably worst flaw, I've recently started using Mewtwo's Jab 1 into Upsmash more. It's such a good option but I don't think it's a true combo against certain characters with super fast moves (Marth up-b, Mario nair, Yoshi nair, etc etc.) I always messed it up before but it's been working in my favor a lot recently so I'm happy about it. It kills so early!!!
It might be just me, but I think that falling with Nair if the opponent is close is the best option after a ledge jump for Mewtwo.
It's not perfect and can be beaten by some moves, but is better than any other option imo....

Oh, and you shouldn't think that ledge jump is the only good ledge option....
If you think that, you will only do that, if you only do that, then it is that option the one which will be really predictable.... no matter what you do afterwards.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
It might be just me, but I think that falling with Nair if the opponent is close is the best option after a ledge jump for Mewtwo.
It's not perfect and can be beaten by some moves, but is better than any other option imo....

Oh, and you shouldn't think that ledge jump is the only good ledge option....
If you think that, you will only do that, if you only do that, then it is that option the one which will be really predictable.... no matter what you do afterwards.
I use falling nair as well but I tend to get punished a lot for it so I don't know if it's the best option or not. It has bad range and bad priority but it works I guess.

I don't think ledge jump is his only good ledge option. It isn't the only good ledge option, but all his other options are just as bad IMO. All his options all boil down to him landing on the stage which is his major flaw. Again, it's all a mind game, so of course you're going to have to try make yourself unpredictable. Sometimes a bad option will work better than a decent one; it's all about how you mix it up. I'm just trying to say that Mewtwo's landing options are bad no matter how hard you try to be unpredictable.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
DrRiceBoy DrRiceBoy One thing you can do on Battlefield and some other platform stages to mix up your ledge recovery is Ledgejump > Teleport Cancel onto left/right platform (And maybe teleport again to safety depending on what the opponent does). Just a neat trick to keep in mind as many are caught off guard by it from my experience.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
DrRiceBoy DrRiceBoy One thing you can do on Battlefield and some other platform stages to mix up your ledge recovery is Ledgejump > Teleport Cancel onto left/right platform (And maybe teleport again to safety depending on what the opponent does). Just a neat trick to keep in mind as many are caught off guard by it from my experience.
Haven't actually tried that! Will keep in mind. =)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Up smash can be good to catch people out with and It's a very powerful punish to any free falling opponents. It can also have a bit of movement to the move, I'm not sure how to properly explain but it reminded me of snakes up smash in brawl which could slide forward a bit. I'm sure you can find a safe way of using the move without as much risk, under ledges seems the move effective and safe way.
Thanks for the tips! I know exactly what you're talking about with the momentum-ized Up Smash, and it's very useful, indeed. I think my issue is mainly just a lack of trust in myself. I know that Mewtwo's U-Smash is a good punishing option, but I'm too paranoid to properly use it. Thankfully, however, I seem to be getting over said paranoia, so I'll probably be fine within a few days... Or weeks:p. Seriously, though, thanks again for the advice! I don't have very many friends who are into Smash Bros., so I spend a lot of time playing on For Glory, but I'll remember that tip about ledges, in particular. I think that'll prove to be especially useful!

Also, while we're on the topic of Mewtwo's air-to-ground game, I've had this idea floating around in the back of my head for awhile that I think I'll share. Basically, I thought it would be extremely useful if Mewtwo's N-Air had transcendent priority and trampled. For those who don't know, "trampling" is an attack property that makes the user immune to freeze frames when the attack in question clangs; Mewtwo's jab has it. What do guys think? Would it be very useful, or would it be a pointless change?

Top Bottom