• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah, Mizumi was the among the people who datamined all 8 DLC characters for that game, and iirc, he was the one who leaked Cooler's announcer. Not surprised to see he's putting his hands on the game's data again, let's see if he catches the other 2 unannounced guys.
He's already confirmed that Videl and Jiren are the only ones in the patch

https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1090426730244960256

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Did you check your spam or promotions folder? I found the code for Piranha Plant in my promotions back in December.

Edit: also if you have a physical copy, you have to highlight it on the Switch menu, press +, then go to My Nintendo Rewards Program. If you bought the game digitally it should be in your email.
I made sure to do the NRP thing not too long after I got the game. I double checked it as well, so I did that. Nothing Nintendo related in my spam though, as well as no new Nintendo emails in general. They did give a label of it taking at most 10 days, but everyone else seems seems to have it.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I made sure to do the NRP thing not too long after I got the game. I double checked it as well, so I did that. Nothing Nintendo related in my spam though, as well as no new Nintendo emails in general. They did give a label of it taking at most 10 days, but everyone else seems seems to have it.
Well, whatever it is, I hope you get the issue fixed.

Oh wait, did you search your folders with the word "piranha"? That's how I was able to find my email (for me it was in Promotions)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Lmao
That is hilarious. 10/10 XD
Yeah, I know the feeling. These references only twist the knife further. ;_;
I know, right?! It's freaking painful, man.

Hope you get your guy, though! His chances do look pretty good, at least. I'll be rooting for ya.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I know, right?! It's freaking painful, man.

Hope you get your guy, though! His chances do look pretty good, at least. I'll be rooting for ya.
Thank you. ^^
I do believe your guy is also a very likely contender. He even has more callbacks than Sephiroth did in the last two games.
I may cheer for Seph, but that doesn't mean I won't be happy with your little guy. I'll be rooting for him to show up too!
Best scenario would be having more than one character from S-E. So everyone gets their characters! Anyways, don't give up on your boy!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thank you. ^^
I do believe your guy is also a very likely contender. He even has more callbacks than Sephiroth did in the last two games.
I may cheer for Seph, but that doesn't mean I won't be happy with your little guy. I'll be rooting for him to show up too!
Best scenario would be having more than one character from S-E. So everyone gets their characters! Anyways, don't give up on your boy!
And this is why I love the Square thread.

We're all in this together, you know? Different characters, same goals, same love. It makes my heart so warm and fuzzy. I'm rooting for all of y'all, and it's nice to see other people rooting for my boy in return, as well.

Just... all of you guys are great and wholesome. Never change.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
What are everybody's thoughts on another Square rep outside of the fighters pass as like Misc DLC, Would it be possible? I Personally think there could be two Square reps one in the Fighters pass (Erdrick) and one outside of the fighters pass to make up for the loss of income with Cloud being Base game this time around. Could be Sora which I've warmed up a lot to and would love to see him in, Or Could be Geno which obviously I love as He and Banjo share my number 1 most wanted spot. Could Even Be Septhiroth since he doesn't need a Stage since FF is already represented.
joker alone would rake in tons of money. If he's meant to be the appetizer, imagine the next 3 spots.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
And this is why I love the Square thread.

We're all in this together, you know? Different characters, same goals, same love. It makes my heart so warm and fuzzy. I'm rooting for all of y'all, and it's nice to see other people rooting for my boy in return, as well.

Just... all of you guys are great and wholesome. Never change.
Honestly.

Listen, I hate Erdrick, and I've said multiple times how much I think he'd be a boring addition. But, there's no denying that every character on this list-- and even some not included-- are more than deserving of a chance to fight. Like you said, it's a team effort on this one, and I couldn't be happier seeing fanbases combine to exert the full force of their desires into the spotlight. To think that just a few months ago, most of these characters would've seemed like fever dreams.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Wow that reference. That's just ******* with Geno fans at this point Nintendo, not cool…

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Wow that reference. That's just ******* with Geno fans at this point Nintendo, not cool…
At this point it feels Nintendo is just mindlessly waving a carrot in front of a hungry rabbit's face. "Geno in Smash" has always been this tantalizing endgame that's just the slightest bit out of reach every time the new Smash game rolls around. Hopefully Nintendo realizes that constantly alluding to SMRPG isn't exactly putting us at ease, but rather, on edge.

But of course, it doesn't matter what we make of it. Geno is an irrelevant side character from a 23 year old game and doesn't deserve to be in Smash anyway. His fanbase isn't even big, it's just really vocal.

/s

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point it feels Nintendo is just mindlessly waving a carrot in front of a hungry rabbit's face. "Geno in Smash" has always been this tantalizing endgame that's just the slightest bit out of reach every time the new Smash game rolls around. Hopefully Nintendo realizes that constantly alluding to SMRPG isn't exactly putting us at ease, but rather, on edge.

But of course, it doesn't matter what we make of it. Geno is an irrelevant side character from a 23 year old game and doesn't deserve to be in Smash anyway. His fanbase isn't even big, it's just really vocal.

/s
I think people are just looking too much into finding meaning to references, in a game full of them for every character and lots of franchises. Especially with the whole spirit battles being references for most of them. Don't think that they do it on purpose really.

D

Deleted member

I agree with Ovaltine Ovaltine 's feelings towards this thread, I love it. while at times people can be a bit frustrating and all but that's what makes humans, human. We don't always show our best side and mixed with a bunch of big fanbases this thread obviously will have some Drama but in the end, we all support each other. Geno fans support the other Character's fans and vice versa which makes me happy to see everyone support each other.

I for one really don't like DQ at all and think everything about it is generic and bland but this thread helped change my mind at least a little bit to realize how big of a deal DQ is and for that I support their fans and think just based off of it's legacy that it deserves to be in Smash. The fans of all these different characters are all just awesome people I like hanging around with of course not physically but y'know what I mean. I really like and respect each and everyone of you guys. Also Sorry for the Rant.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Well, Mizumi's stream is over. And he won't do Smash today.
Quite torturing. I'm eager to see if there's any new file or if Brave was tampered with between patches

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I think people are just looking too much into finding meaning to references, in a game full of them for every character and lots of franchises. Especially with the whole spirit battles being references for most of them. Don't think that they do it on purpose really.
Megasmilax in the Paluneta's guidance for Piranha Plant, NoA tweeting about SMRPG, Sakurai expressing his love for the character; the list goes on. Not everything is a clue or a reference, and the Geno thread is riddled with far-fetched conclusion, but there's simply no denying the amount of times Geno has been suggested in Nintendo.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
In the risk of sounding like a Nintendo fanboy, I doubt that was an intentional reference, or at least, I'd see it this way, because I can tell a terrible joker when I see them:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dragon Quest is great fun. It's a light rpg to play I find, and I really appreciate that, including the environments. I like fiddling with classes and skills too, so that's another thing. Only FF has a few class systems and none are like DQ. Also, most of them aren't overly easy like a lot of rpgs are these days (well apparently dq11 is a bit easier).

As rpgs, it's really good and has some good things going for it. I don't think there's good reason to hate on it. And if it's not your cup of tea, then that's ok, but why hate on it? A lot of people enjoy it.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest is great fun. It's a light rpg to play I find, and I really appreciate that, including the environments. I like fiddling with classes and skills too, so that's another thing. Only FF has a few class systems and none are like DQ. Also, most of them aren't overly easy like a lot of rpgs are these days (well apparently dq11 is a bit easier).

As rpgs, it's really good and has some good things going for it. I don't think there's good reason to hate on it. And if it's not your cup of tea, then that's ok, but why hate on it? A lot of people enjoy it.
Honestly I would try a DQ game as every one of them I played I've put less than an hour into and maybe I made an unfair judgement by calling it "Bland and Boring" and just didn't get far enough into it to make a fair judgement but My Backlog is already huge enough as it is (70+) that DQ isn't really a Priority.

D

Deleted member

Megasmilax in the Paluneta's guidance for Piranha Plant, NoA tweeting about SMRPG, Sakurai expressing his love for the character; the list goes on. Not everything is a clue or a reference, and the Geno thread is riddled with far-fetched conclusion, but there's simply no denying the amount of times Geno has been suggested in Nintendo.
The Megasmilax was mentioned with a lot of other piranha plants examples even more obscure than it, that tweet was exclusive for NoA, and Sakurai expresses his love for a lot of franchises. I have actually read a few of the stuff going on in the geno thread, and to be honest in many occasions I just think people are just looking too much into things (if they are actually taking them seriously that's it).

My point is that; I don't think Nintendo likes to put references deliberately to bait people, its just that the development team just likes to make little nods to the characters in the game because they like the characters. I don't think that the references or not, affect any chance of any characters in the game.

Edit: Megasmilax is not the only PP referenced from SMRPG by the way. Chewies are also referenced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly I would try a DQ game as every one of them I played I've put less than an hour into and maybe I made an unfair judgement by calling it "Bland and Boring" and just didn't get far enough into it to make a fair judgement but My Backlog is already huge enough as it is (70+) that DQ isn't really a Priority.
Well compared to how flashy and dramatic some FF stories can be, it doesn't have that. So I guess I can see the persepctive of it being bland. For me it feels fresher than that, but if I were to play DQ1 or 2 I'd find them boring since they're very much just traditional rpgs.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well compared to how flashy and dramatic some FF stories can be, it doesn't have that. So I guess I can see the persepctive of it being bland. For me it feels fresher than that, but if I were to play DQ1 or 2 I'd find them boring since they're very much just traditional rpgs.
As someone whose played DQVII and half of DQVIII (both on 3DS), I thought both had their moments story-wise. I remember DQVII having some love story that depressed the hell out of me.

Also the moment during the credits where
you get that letter from your friend who decided to stay in the past
got me a bit.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
The Megasmilax was mentioned with a lot of other piranha plants examples even more obscure than it, that tweet was exclusive for NoA, and Sakurai expresses his love for a lot of franchises. I have actually read a few of the stuff going on in the geno thread, and to be honest in many occasions I just think people are just looking too much into things (if they are actually taking them seriously that's it).

My point is that; I don't think Nintendo likes to put references deliberately to bait people, its just that the development team just likes to make little nods to the characters in the game because they like the characters. I don't think that the references or not, affect any chance of any characters in the game.

Edit: Megasmilax is not the only PP referenced from SMRPG by the way. Chewies are also referenced.
Thing is, Megasmilax's name alone isn't Nintendo property. It's Square's. The NoA exclusive thing I'm aware of but I brought it up anyhow considering it's no less a mention of Geno than anything else on this thread, and would it not be odd to express love for a franchise by mentioning such an obscure character? I would definitely argue Sakurai doesn't comment on specific characters nearly as much as entire franchises.

I don't think these references affect Geno's chances whatsoever, I've just said that it's tormenting to us seeing him be mentioned so much. I also don't think that's Nintendo's intentions with these nods, it's just a bit demoralizing seeing your dream character seem so close yet so far.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
DQ overarching stories aren't really their strongest aspect, although they have some great moments. DQ8's main story is a "save the world from darkness" plot, but its strength is in the vignettes along the way where you get your party members fleshed out. 11 is like that too.
EDIT:
Thing is, Megasmilax's name alone isn't Nintendo property. It's Square's.
Do we know for a fact exactly how the character rights are divided up?

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Also, one more thing. I saw this about the 5-character leak. It's apparently who'd be in charge of Ryu Hayabusa:

"
Interview from last week from the Maker of Dead or Alive 6
> Speaking of Smash Bros, if you could take a DOA character to implement it in the Smash cast, who would you choose?
> I never spoke with Mr. Sakurai (Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of the Super Smash Bros series), but if I had the chance to do so I would ask him with pleasure, and I would probably choose Kasumi.

This outright deconfirms Ryu & proves that there has been no discussion between Tecmo & Sakurai on a Smash Rep, which in turn deconfirms the entire 5ch leak because Ryu was on it
"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
oh my god, how many times do i have to say it now?

Stop reposting the darn 4chan post making false conclusions from that interview. I know where exactly where you got it from and the poster was very pessimistic over the idea of Ryu Hayabasa getting in over a DoA original character in those threads.

it feels like NOBODY saw my post here pointing out this has nothing vital to do with Ninja Gaiden NOR had mentions of Ryu or Ninja Gaiden

i even brought up about Imran saying he interview Shimbori as well and noted he didn't want to talk further about Tecmo and Smash.
1548827534345.png

Shimbori isn't even the go-to person for Ninja Gaiden anything and essentially shot down DoA characters instead.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Well, I guess they didn't want that in there.
Huh, guess this means we won't hear anything about brave until their reveal. On the plus side hopefully this means Nintendo won't leave any more unfinished fighter data in the game and the next three reveals can actually be surprising

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
still surprising they manage to mention an SMRPG boss in the guidence
also my second main hates PP ;v;

So it looks like Mizumi's going to bed. Any other dataminers to keep an eye on?
Kurogane and Jam1Garner i guess

Well, I guess they didn't want that in there.
it was expected
this is EXACTLY why Kurogane and Jam didn't want he names out
Nintendo were definitely going to scrub it all up like with Ryu/Roy

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I think its pretty much a goodbye to the "brave" datamining thread then, unless there's any additional info...
Unless we got something else left over like a victory fanfare then yeah. This discussion is going to stagnate further.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Unless we got something else left over like a victory fanfare then yeah. This discussion is going to stagnate further.
I so hope to God now that PolarPanda is right and we get a new Direct next week or the one after. This is gonna be quite the painful ride.

Top Bottom