• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Sure, but the owner of the characters isn’t a person, but a company. He wouldn’t speak to a game’s director or producer, he’d speak to the legal team.
I'm not going to sit here and pretend I 100% know the intricacies of licensing a character, but that's specifically why I said "If Sakurai wants to use the characters, he goes to the character's owners (not the creators) and from there is put in contact with the people that control the franchise/characters."

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It means he knows nothing other than DOA6. It's entirely about rights. He can't give the rights to Sakurai. If Sakurai isn't talking with a person who has the rights, it's meaningless alone to us. It's not real information.

Basically, you got information that was bad, that's all.
Well, I took a little time to look into it before bed, and Yohei Shimbori is part of Team Ninja, but he's not a key member or president or anything that would tie in to the rights. So yes, the comment I found about the interview was wrong, but I brought it up to discuss it, and coming to this point could've been much easier. Anyway. I'm just not a fan of the 'debating' approach, and I don't think that's how someone should start with. I think I've probably done itmyself, but I'm just not there anymore. I'll stew on what i can try to do when people do that to not get caught up in it, but I do think it's also important to get better at verifying stuff.

Alright. have a good night. Better days to come. Especially with the new stuff comin soon ;p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I would love for the 5ch leak to be real.

Minecraft is a little meh to me. I know my nephew would love it.
But Doom and Ninja Gaiden were childhood defining for me. Almost as much as Mario, Sonic, and Megaman.

I can understand people not caring for Doomguy, because it would be my equivalent of Master Chief being included. Just some faceless space marine with whom I have Little to no attatchment to. (Except Doomguy does have a face, but that's beside the point).

But Doom is far from unimportant. I really shouldn't have to explain why. I'm not sure how they'd make him play like so that it feels "Doom" when you play as Doomguy.

And Ninja Gaiden is probably the last NES legend left (next to Contra). Ryu's gameplay would be amazing to say the least.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Again, I know that it is a phenomenon. But other franchises are also phenomenons, and a lot of them aren't even considered for Smash.
You explained exactly the imagery that comes to mind when thinking of Minecraft: Youtube culture
The game is popular among a lot of people, and I understand its importance. But I think that there are other series and characters that made a bigger impact, that stood against the test of time and are still relevant to this day.
I'm not necessarily against Steve in the game.
I'm more irked by Doom Guy and Ryu. People hyped Doom Guy for the same reason people hyped Bayonetta in the last generation: people were thirsting for new big third-party content that was more in line with the mainstream gaming culture that is predominant today, specially among the PS and Xbox crowds, regardless of their quality and coherence to what usually a Nintendo character is (I know this seems abstract, but I hope you get me). The fact that a franchise got to be ported just now doesn't mean it deserves the hype, if the series is not as "Nintendo" as say Megaman, FF, or even Minecraft. I know that my opinion isn't as popular, but I feel like the consistency of the roster should be maintained, and the game truly celebrates classic japanese gaming. Doom and Ninja Gaiden aren't series that come to mind when you think under these restrictions. Anyway, just my two cents.
Hi, just came to point out a few things.

The Ninja Gaiden trilogy on NES was pretty popular back in the day, not Mega Man or Castlevania big, but maybe a step below.

Every mainline entry of the Doom series, with the exception of Doom 3, has been on Nintendo hardware. Not to mention that Doom 64 remains platform exclusive to this very day, never even officially releasing on PC.

OG Doom: SNES and GBA
Doom II: GBA
Doom 64: N64, duh
Doom 2016: Switch
And the upcoming Doom Eternal, also for Switch.

So to say that these two series are not as "Nintendo" as Mega Man or Castlevania, sure why not. But to say they're not as "Nintendo" as Minecraft is absurd. Both have a history on Nintendo platforms that spans 20+ years. Neither series has a ton of games, but both have the majority of their titles on Nintendo platforms.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If the 5chan leak is real, I'm only interested in how they all play.

Ryu would be a proper ninja that would primarily use a sword instead of mixed martial arts and needles (or water). Otherwise, never been that big on old NES platformers. He's probably my least favorite out of the five 5chan characters despite being a classic. I'd take Arthur before him.

Doom Guy fulfills my interest in a shooter character in Smash Bros so I think he'd fit in. I loved what I could see of the recent Doom game, but it disorients me unfortunately. I cannot play that and shooters in general are hard for me to get into because of that.

Steve is also interesting. I pretty much expect him to be the Microsoft rep if one happens at all so I looked into Minecraft. It's okay. I think they can pull from it and Minecraft is pretty iconic. Banjo would have been my first choice but Minecraft is theirs. Who cares.

I would definitely accept this to be the DLC pack. If we get another DLC pack later, then we can still be hype later. I mean, we got Joker already and it claims that Erdrick is in, which is my second SE pick.

Of course, the credibility of the leak itself leaves a lot to be desired. Just thoughts on their interest.
Apparently version 2.0 is coming later today (29th), there was a message from the bot.
https://smash.oatmealdome.me/popup_news/2012/en-US/
Nice. That means dataminers can get on that sooner than expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ok,. That's really exciting. Does that mean we could be getting pplant? :O I hope so.
Piranha Plant is actually the biggest thing to hype right now. It's a new character! That means new moveset to learn and mess around with. Don't want speculation to be funner than the actual game of interest, am I right?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Piranha Plant is actually the biggest thing to hype right now. It's a new character! That means new moveset to learn and mess around with. Don't want speculation to be funner than the actual game of interest, am I right?
Yup i'm hype for it :)
Im thinking friday might make more sense for pplant, but still wanting it sooner, so here's hoping.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
The main reason I'm hyped for the update is to see if there has been any updates on Brave. Maybe they could pull a Ryu and add something that gives away the character's identity. Regardless, I'm really excited to see who Brave is.

By the way, here's Shiki.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The main reason I'm hyped for the update is to see if there has been any updates on Brave. Maybe they could pull a Ryu and add something that gives away the character's identity. Regardless, I'm really excited to see who Brave is.

Do you have a page somewhere, like deviant art or something, where all your sprites could be?

& Yup, dunno what the patch will bring, but anything is better than no info :p
I wonder how long it takes dataminers to go through it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I'm loving these...and it's great to see a fellow Neku/TWEWY supporter!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

This!
I don't really care about PP. But I'm very interested if there's going to be more stat changes to Brave, or better, a new codename after Brave.

But at least completing every Mode as PP will be a nice side event as we wait.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Do you have a page somewhere, like deviant art or something, where all your sprites could be?

& Yup, dunno what the patch will bring, but anything is better than no info :p
I wonder how long it takes dataminers to go through it.
Not yet, but I plan on creating one sometime soon.

If it really does get released today, I expect some news tomorrow. These people work fast. :p
I'm loving these...and it's great to see a fellow Neku/TWEWY supporter!
Glad you like it! After Geno and Sora, Neku is my third most wanted Square Enix character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not yet, but I plan on creating one sometime soon.

If it really does get released today, I expect some news tomorrow. These people work fast. :p

Glad you like it! After Geno and Sora, Neku is my third most wanted Square Enix character.
I was thinking more like a a few hours for them to find something :O
Lotsa people curious.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Not a Square Enix character, but I liked this one a lot. I updated my old Soma Cruz, using the box art of Aria of Sorrow for reference.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it could expire to give way for a Direct notification until Thursday.
Didn't PP say a Direct would be coming in 2-3 weeks 2 weeks ago?
That was only a few days ago, lol.

I would think we'll get the plant without a direct for a bit, or maybe sooner. well, who knows.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Hope something happens soon January has been quite boring on the news side of things just trickles of information

D

Deleted member

Now I'm puzzled, thought that the update being now 2.0.0 would mean that it is some relatively meaty update that would need to be addressed in a direct.

Probably the update is not as big as I want to imagine.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Now I'm puzzled, thought that the update being now 2.0.0 would mean that it is some relatively meaty update that would need to be addressed in a direct.

Probably the update is not as big as I want to imagine.
Ive seen a few people say that, but really it can be a decent update without having to be addressed. Even pplant wouldnt need to be.

But s'true would've been nice to have a smash direct to address it and show the plant and reveal something. a direct still possible in feb.
I really want to see what warrants 2.0 in any case :O

D

Deleted member

Ive seen a few people say that, but really it can be a decent update without having to be addressed. Even pplant wouldnt need to be.

But s'true would've been nice to have a smash direct to address it and show the plant and reveal something. a direct still possible in feb.
I really want to see what warrants 2.0 in any case :O
It's quite strange, as Splatoon 2 has an update as well and the notes of the patch have gone up plus games like Kirby: Star Allies had at least videos about the updates going up. Stuff being silent just makes me curious.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely not expecting PP to be playable tonight, but I could see it being "preloaded". Plus some balance changes.

I think overall though the update will be mostly underwhelming

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's quite strange, as Splatoon 2 has an update as well and the notes of the patch have gone up plus games like Kirby: Star Allies had at least videos about the updates going up. Stuff being silent just makes me curious.
Well kirby had new characters and modes to be announced and the game needed more attention. PPlant's already announced and smash dont need much attention :p

D

Deleted member

Not a Square Enix character, but I liked this one a lot. I updated my old Soma Cruz, using the box art of Aria of Sorrow for reference.

1999 game when

On 2.0, it’s a bit of a weird situation. It very well could just be plant preload, but I can’t imagine them straight up going up a number for something that most probbaky won’t know about. A 2.0 sorta implies something of significance, but if they were doing a big change like a new mode, they would defintiely announce it prior. Maybe it’s jst a bunch of balance changes? Who knows. Hell, maybe we’ll get Plant today. Or tomorrow if you’re a brit.

D

Deleted member

What are everybody's thoughts on another Square rep outside of the fighters pass as like Misc DLC, Would it be possible? I Personally think there could be two Square reps one in the Fighters pass (Erdrick) and one outside of the fighters pass to make up for the loss of income with Cloud being Base game this time around. Could be Sora which I've warmed up a lot to and would love to see him in, Or Could be Geno which obviously I love as He and Banjo share my number 1 most wanted spot. Could Even Be Septhiroth since he doesn't need a Stage since FF is already represented.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What are everybody's thoughts on another Square rep outside of the fighters pass as like Misc DLC, Would it be possible? I Personally think there could be two Square reps one in the Fighters pass (Erdrick) and one outside of the fighters pass to make up for the loss of income with Cloud being Base game this time around. Could be Sora which I've warmed up a lot to and would love to see him in, Or Could be Geno which obviously I love as He and Banjo share my number 1 most wanted spot. Could Even Be Septhiroth since he doesn't need a Stage since FF is already represented.
I'd love Geno, and he'd be so easy to get rights to for music to go along with his reveal, but I'd say Sephiroth would be more likely as misc. DLC without a stage (or even without music because of Uematsu's leave of health). Then again, there are many Mario stages, so I could easily see Geno come without a stage, too. It'd be between those two if, and only if, we got misc. DLC with a Square rep in it.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I missed the discussion on "non-pass" fighters, and my honest opinion is that they'd never do that. Almost always, characters are attached to those bundles.

D

Deleted member

Unless it's mentioned that they're doing it, my answer is no. They mentioned the planned DLC are five fighter passes, which for all intents and purposes is Season 1 for DLC fighters. That's all the fighter DLC we should expect for now if it'll honest to god take them till early 2020 to finish it.

D

Deleted member

Misc DLC, like in Smash 4? I will reiterate my previous comment. I don't think that they will make misc DLC at least for the moment, considering people would just get angry if its a cool character and is not in the pass. Possibly after the fighter pass is done, they can release some fighters as misc DLC or do another season.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What loss of income??

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I really don't see it happened. Way too much backlash, considering people already invested in a Fighter's Pass.
A second pass could be a legit possibility, which I believe in. And it might be possible for more S-E characters to join the fray

D

Deleted member

Most I can see happening is miscellaneous echo fighters as free updates, but even that seems fairly unlikely.

Top Bottom