• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If he has nothing to do with the rights of ryu, or key networking, then you're right and all this would go away real easy, and whoever thought that guy was important to confirm or deconfirm was way off. And it's also why I just asked about it instead of looking into it, thinking someone might have looked into the details. If people are going to be so ****ing rude about it maybe it's better to look into it first before trying just to talk. :/
It means he knows nothing other than DOA6. It's entirely about rights. He can't give the rights to Sakurai. If Sakurai isn't talking with a person who has the rights, it's meaningless alone to us. It's not real information.

Basically, you got information that was bad, that's all.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
you described Steve or the Creeper perfectly (unless you don't count 9+ years as history).

also Banjo-Kazooie.
I respect your opinion dude.
But I really don't think Minecraft is that meaningful. It's a phenomenon, sure, but it's not near the level of a Nintendo-tier franchise and characters in terms of artistic merit, history, classicism, etc. At least in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I respect your opinion dude.
But I really don't think Minecraft is that meaningful. It's a phenomenon, sure, but it's not near the level of a Nintendo-tier franchise and characters in terms of artistic merit, history, classicism, etc. At least in my opinion.
I respect your opinion as well.

You gotta admit, though, it has left a lasting effect on gaming; its blocky and low-graphics artstyle that so many have fallen in love with and it gaining huge popularity, all the community stuffs like Youtube and builds and whatnot, Nintendo seeming to have promoted it, and it seeming to feel at home with Nintendo even though Microsoft owns its creators' company, Mojang. Sakurai himself loves the game as well, commenting on its excellent game design, and being surprised its #1 spot on the eShop was overtaken.

It'll definitely be a classic sometime in the future.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
you described Steve or the Creeper perfectly (unless you don't count 9+ years as history).

also Banjo-Kazooie.
So much this. I don't know why people are acting like Minecraft isn't a cultural juggernaut. It had a severe gaming impact and has merchandise among all kinds of media. B&K, as cool as it is, barely has much of anything besides games and a few figures. They did inspire a few games, but Minecraft had a way bigger gaming impact. In a single decade, it entirely rewrote the sandbox genre. It has a TV show. It has spin-off games and significantly more sales than a lot of series alone. Even just one game, albeit multiple consoles, has beaten out tons. It's one of the biggest series in actual history. It's already as big as Pokemon without having nearly as many characters, and it's growing bigger.

B&K actually didn't rewrite the platformer genre at all. It added to it, and just improve upon what DK64 started. And DK64 actually made a bigger impact design-wise, as it reinvented the platforming genre against after Super Mario 64 did. B&K are still awesome games, of course. But it didn't have an actual huge gaming impact like a lot of games did. It had a small impact for N64 games, but it being a topnotch game will do that. Same with its sequel.

D

Deleted member

I'm still betting, if it's not a SE character, I bet 100% it's Felyne from Monster Hunter

Also, is it just me that is hoping with all of my energy that the 5chan leak is fake?
Not bc of Erdrick, but because of everything else. The other 3 are so underwhelming to me, I don't even know how to express it.
I'm hoping for classic japanese gaming characters with a Nintendo essence to them. Something timeless and groundbreaking. Characters with charm, history, meaning and that are beloved by many.
Thats fair, I dont think anybody should be compelled liking something dubious. I personally I only like the leak because my most wanteds are Erdrick and Ryu.

I enjoy MC and Doom to certain point but I dont like the idea of them on smash and, if we go by personal beliefs, personally I would prefer if the game is Microsoft free not only MC. But thats just me, because I dont like M$.

I dont think its legit, and I think at most it should be entertained rather than actually put any serious thought to it.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I respect your opinion as well.

You gotta admit, though, it has left a lasting effect on gaming; its blocky and low-graphics artstyle that so many have fallen in love with and it gaining huge popularity, all the community stuffs like Youtube and builds and whatnot, Nintendo seeming to have promoted it, and it seeming to feel at home with Nintendo even though Microsoft owns its creators' company, Mojang. Sakurai himself loves the game as well, commenting on its excellent game design, and being surprised its #1 spot on the eShop was overtaken.

It'll definitely be a classic sometime in the future.
Again, I know that it is a phenomenon. But other franchises are also phenomenons, and a lot of them aren't even considered for Smash.
You explained exactly the imagery that comes to mind when thinking of Minecraft: Youtube culture
The game is popular among a lot of people, and I understand its importance. But I think that there are other series and characters that made a bigger impact, that stood against the test of time and are still relevant to this day.
I'm not necessarily against Steve in the game.
I'm more irked by Doom Guy and Ryu. People hyped Doom Guy for the same reason people hyped Bayonetta in the last generation: people were thirsting for new big third-party content that was more in line with the mainstream gaming culture that is predominant today, specially among the PS and Xbox crowds, regardless of their quality and coherence to what usually a Nintendo character is (I know this seems abstract, but I hope you get me). The fact that a franchise got to be ported just now doesn't mean it deserves the hype, if the series is not as "Nintendo" as say Megaman, FF, or even Minecraft. I know that my opinion isn't as popular, but I feel like the consistency of the roster should be maintained, and the game truly celebrates classic japanese gaming. Doom and Ninja Gaiden aren't series that come to mind when you think under these restrictions. Anyway, just my two cents.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'm still betting, if it's not a SE character, I bet 100% it's Felyne from Monster Hunter

Also, is it just me that is hoping with all of my energy that the 5chan leak is fake?
Not bc of Erdrick, but because of everything else. The other 3 are so underwhelming to me, I don't even know how to express it.
I'm hoping for classic japanese gaming characters with a Nintendo essence to them. Something timeless and groundbreaking. Characters with charm, history, meaning and that are beloved by many.
Well, in all due fairness, Cloud, Snake and Joker definitely don't have a "Nintendo essence", more so because their main titles are definitely not associated with the company (FFVII finally coming to Nintendo after nearly two decades, NES Metal Gear not involving Kojima and Persona 5 still being a PS4 exclusive as of today). Also, not to say much, but Ryu Hayabusa comes from a classic title, famous for its difficulty and part of the old 80's NES nostalgia stuff; so he's definitely not anywhere close lack any of the stuff you bring up.
And to be honest, at this point, with how boring and uninteresting are every Nintendo character that hasn't been axed in any way; I'll take as many third-party characters as I can, and yes, that includes the three guys from the 5chan rumour.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
imo keeping it exclusive to characters in Japan doesn't sound too nice; while I love many Japanese videogame characters (mainly Nintendo plus Pac-Man and Sonic tbh but there's a lot so), I'd much rather they allow more Western characters like B-K and Steve/Creeper; Sakurai was considering B-K in Melee before they turned into a huge legal hurdle, too.

I guess you could say we already have Western characters if you count K. Rool, Diddy and Dark Samus, but I'd love it if they actually included Western franchises...

So much this. I don't know why people are acting like Minecraft isn't a cultural juggernaut. It had a severe gaming impact and has merchandise among all kinds of media. B&K, as cool as it is, barely has much of anything besides games and a few figures. They did inspire a few games, but Minecraft had a way bigger gaming impact. In a single decade, it entirely rewrote the sandbox genre. It has a TV show. It has spin-off games and significantly more sales than a lot of series alone. Even just one game, albeit multiple consoles, has beaten out tons. It's one of the biggest series in actual history. It's already as big as Pokemon without having nearly as many characters, and it's growing bigger.

B&K actually didn't rewrite the platformer genre at all. It added to it, and just improve upon what DK64 started. And DK64 actually made a bigger impact design-wise, as it reinvented the platforming genre against after Super Mario 64 did. B&K are still awesome games, of course. But it didn't have an actual huge gaming impact like a lot of games did. It had a small impact for N64 games, but it being a topnotch game will do that. Same with its sequel.
Yeah, I guess B&K isn't really as big as people make it out to be impact-wise. However, it was really popular, and Nintendo slapped them on a box and advertised them alongside Mario, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong, their biggest mascots.

It sucks that Rare won't make anymore B-K games...though, I wonder - if they did make a new B-K game, would it be as good? It'd be nice to have a revival, but idk. I could see them making an awesome remake, though...hopefully using the old designs...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I guess B&K isn't really as big as people make it out to be impact-wise. However, it was really popular, and Nintendo slapped them on a box and advertised them alongside Mario, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong, their biggest mascots.

It sucks that Rare won't make anymore B-K games...though, I wonder - if they did make a new B-K game, would it be as good? It'd be nice to have a revival, but idk. I could see them making an awesome remake, though...hopefully using the old designs...
The team that made B&K is no longer part of Rare itself. So... no. I doubt it.

Though Microsoft could hire the team behind Yooka-Laylee for a reboot/remake, as they're the original team.

And yeah, B&K absolutely are awesome games for the 64. I have both. Now, I admit I didn't enjoy them as much as Super Mario 64, but they legit deserve praise. Not that praise actually means you have a cultural impact of much note, of course.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Well, in all due fairness, Cloud, Snake and Joker definitely don't have a "Nintendo essence", more so because their main titles are definitely not associated with the company (FFVII finally coming to Nintendo after nearly two decades, NES Metal Gear not involving Kojima and Persona 5 still being a PS4 exclusive as of today). Also, not to say much, but Ryu Hayabusa comes from a classic title, famous for its difficulty and part of the old 80's NES nostalgia stuff; so he's definitely not anywhere close lack any of the stuff you bring up.
And to be honest, at this point, with how boring and uninteresting are every Nintendo character that hasn't been axed in any way; I'll take as many third-party characters as I can, and yes, that includes the three guys from the 5chan rumour.
I honestly disagree with you.
Cloud comes from a FF game that was produced under the same design philosophy as the Nintendo-era FFs. And among the RPGs out there, FF was not only one most biggest and most classic, but their characters are also more classic-oriented, with selfless heroes that over time reach the peak of the hero's journey by accomplishing their goals, doing good, and fighting for a bigger moral. In fact, a lot of it can be traced by some of what Nintendo did with their biggest franchises. The fact that the game launched on another console doesn't change the game's design philosophy or its characters. It is mere burocracy and logistics of the time. Also, FFVII was being produced for the N64 for a while before they realized the game was becoming too big for a cartridge. Joker comes from a videogame to be ported most likely very soon, not long after its original release. The series is another RPG classic that deals with flawed characters but over time become classic heroes. Their impact, charm, and even music are some of the things that can be seen coming from a Nintendo title.
Snake is probably the least close to a Nintendo-essence character, but given his debut was on the NES, with the original MGS in particular being more grounded, with quirky humor and attention to detail and perfectionist design, you can see some things that aren't far from acceptable.
Bayonetta, imo, is the worst offender, and the first time I actually irked with an inclusion in Smash.

imo keeping it exclusive to characters in Japan doesn't sound too nice; while I love many Japanese videogame characters (mainly Nintendo plus Pac-Man and Sonic tbh but there's a lot so), I'd much rather they allow more Western characters like B-K and Steve/Creeper; Sakurai was considering B-K in Melee before they turned into a huge legal hurdle, too.

I guess you could say we already have Western characters if you count K. Rool, Diddy and Dark Samus, but I'd love it if they actually included Western franchises...
Like, I'm not saying it SHOULD be exclusively Japanese, but imo the largest portion of franchises that are classic-oriented are japanese. Very few western titles actually manage something like that. And some of them are already represented in the game in some form. But sadly, the majority of western franchises are more in line with a more mainstream orientation, appealing to the edgier PS, XBox and PC crowd. Nintendo is its own thing, and their franchises lasted this long for a reason. And Smash is the very celebration of this culture that they promote. Hence why I have a more conservative opinion regarding Smash. But again, that's just my opinion. You can have yours, I won't bulge.
And yes, Banjo is an example, but a lot of it is due to his own history with the original developers and the support from Nintendo. The three western characters in Smash are all from japanese franchises owned by Nintendo. Third-parties are a different story. I wish we got Banjo, but the way things are currently is quite difficult to become a reality

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm more irked by Doom Guy and Ryu. People hyped Doom Guy for the same reason people hyped Bayonetta in the last generation: people were thirsting for new big third-party content that was more in line with the mainstream gaming culture that is predominant today, specially among the PS and Xbox crowds, regardless of their quality and coherence to what usually a Nintendo character is (I know this seems abstract, but I hope you get me). The fact that a franchise got to be ported just now doesn't mean it deserves the hype, if the series is not as "Nintendo" as say Megaman, FF, or even Minecraft. I know that my opinion isn't as popular, but I feel like the consistency of the roster should be maintained, and the game truly celebrates classic japanese gaming. Doom and Ninja Gaiden aren't series that come to mind when you think under these restrictions. Anyway, just my two cents.
Snake is probably the least close to a Nintendo-essence character, but given his debut was on the NES, with the original MGS in particular being more grounded, with quirky humor and attention to detail and perfectionist design, you can see some things that aren't far from acceptable.
You know Snake debuted in the MSX, a home computer? And that Ryu Hayabusa debuted in the NES?
How does this makes Ryu not have Nintendo-essence?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly disagree with you.
Cloud comes from a FF game that was produced under the same design philosophy as the Nintendo-era FFs. And among the RPGs out there, FF was not only one most biggest and most classic, but their characters are also more classic-oriented, with selfless heroes that over time reach the peak of the hero's journey by accomplishing their goals, doing good, and fighting for a bigger moral. In fact, a lot of it can be traced by some of what Nintendo did with their biggest franchises. The fact that the game launched on another console doesn't change the game's design philosophy or its characters. It is mere burocracy and logistics of the time. Also, FFVII was being produced for the N64 for a while before they realized the game was becoming too big for a cartridge. Joker comes from a videogame to be ported most likely very soon, not long after its original release. The series is another RPG classic that deals with flawed characters but over time become classic heroes. Their impact, charm, and even music are some of the things that can be seen coming from a Nintendo title.
Bayonetta, imo, is the worst offender, and the first time I actually irked with.
No, this is incorrect.

Cloud has nothing to do with Nintendo. He's 100% Final Fantasy VII and barely has a few cameos on the Nintendo systems. Calling him important is beyond ridiculous. Those games are 100% unrelated to Cloud(all the other Final Fantasy games before VII). They mean nothing. He is not in any way a Nintendo-related character. He wasn't meant to be either. He was chosen because he was the top dog of the FF series as a whole, but they still chose absolutely zero Nintendo-related things for his designs. He is based upon Dissidia, a Sony only series. FYI, that was FFVI that was trying to be made for the N64. Not FFVII. All the FF games have some similar story elements, but that doesn't make them related to Nintendo anyway.

Snake debuted on the MSX, not the NES.

Joker not only didn't debut on Nintendo at all(...I might be wrong on this part, admittedly), his series specifically didn't either. It's a different series from Shin Megami Tensei. He did have an actual proper Nintendo appearance, unlike Cloud, who was cameos at most.

Bayonetta, on the other hand, isn't an offender and actually hard-related to Nintendo. And the only one among those 4 remotely related to it.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I feel like I need to spill my guts here for a minute, this a lot to put on Twitter. Maybe it's because Kingdom Hearts III is trending right on Twitter. It's just so heartwarming seeing Kingdom Hearts getting so much love right now! I'm going to be so emotional for like the next month or so. I can't believer after 13 years people are finally going yto get their hands on this game! This game is definitely going to keep me busy for like a good month or so!

If Sora doesn't make it to Smash, it's still fine because we have a game that we've been waiting for 13 years and it's now the 29th and I'm going to be able to get it within the next hours but, I have to say it's going to be a rough night of sleep tonight, because I'm too excited!

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It's that insider's silence has little to no power on leaks and rumours. If they're debunked or put on doubt by them, it's because they said something, not because they didn't.
That has nothing to do with the point of there not being as much Erdrick talk as people mistook there to be though. Ya see people constantly going on and on about how supposedly all these insiders are hearing Erdrick, when in reality, not that many actually have, and there's nothing to say that the recent popular text leaks weren't based off that trend and it's likely that 5chan one is a Grinch leak at best.

Screwups like what? Raditz and Zarbon? We knew those weren't going to happen as soon as all 8 characters were datamined, and if you're gonna bring them up, then why not mention Base Goku and Vegeta as well?
Actually, the full story is that he'd mentioned several characters for Season 2 of Dragon Ball FighterZ. Of which, only two came to be, and those were obvious picks. Not sustaining of credibility. SOul Caliber IV as well as other escapades, have shown he's overall back to his infamously bad track record that people knew him for back before Smash Ultimate.
I'm just saying that being smug doesn't define Vergeben's stance on whether he believes something is true or not, and demonstrate that with those examples.
And regarding Castlevania, here's what really happened, made sure to put the important parts on bold:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76678006?jumpto=4#4
As you can see that part about the Switch was just speculation on his behalf, and something just people may have misread. And no, it's not edited at all.
You mean the speculation bit where he supposedly leaked a new Castlevania game which we DO NOT have. Also, the compilation (more of a duology at that) wasn't even multiplatform. He got that load dead wrong, no pun intended.

I mean, he didn't leak the whole roster, didn't leak Piranha Plant, didn't leak quite a few base roster folk and is so far batting 0-1 in the DLC fields. He's not infallible and don't be surprised that people don't trust him as much as they do other leakers with better track records, and better attitudes at that.

By all means, keep up with what he has to say, he's a jerk, but he's not really an idiot. He may know some things. But don't put his word alone on a pedestal to the level that some people tend to.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
No, this is incorrect.

Cloud has nothing to do with Nintendo. He's 100% Final Fantasy VII and barely has a few cameos on the Nintendo systems. Calling him important is beyond ridiculous. Those games are 100% unrelated to Cloud(all the other Final Fantasy games before VII). They mean nothing. He is not in any way a Nintendo-related character. He wasn't meant to be either. He was chosen because he was the top dog of the FF series as a whole, but they still chose absolutely zero Nintendo-related things for his designs. He is based upon Dissidia, a Sony only series. FYI, that was FFVI that was trying to be made for the N64. Not FFVII. All the FF games have some similar story elements, but that doesn't make them related to Nintendo anyway.

Snake debuted on the MSX, not the NES.

Joker not only didn't debut on Nintendo at all, his series specifically didn't either. It's a different series from Shin Megami Tensei. He did have an actual proper Nintendo appearance, unlike Cloud, who was cameos at most.

Bayonetta, on the other hand, isn't an offender and actually hard-related to Nintendo. And the only one among those 4 remotely related to it.
Quite a lot of stuff there that I must point out as some are slight mistakes.
He is from the FF series, an RPG series created with the support of Nintendo in the 1980s, and has since become a mainstay title among the Nintendo fanbase in that time. Not sure if you were alive back then, but I can assure you that FF was big among the people in the community. The series even had an easter egg for "The Legend of Zelda" in one of the first titles.
FFVII was developed for the N64 for a number of months before they decided to shift development. And they insisted in trying to convince Nintendo to change their design for the console, instead of leaving them immediately. So it's not like it came out of nowhere.
You're also seeing things as a person who believes in console wars as if they were a true thing. Like, companies compete, but games tell stories, and they weren't always affiliated with a particular company. There's a reason why the old Nintendo crowd still liked the FF titles up to IX. Play the game and you'll see the similarities to quirks and characteristics of games such as Zelda. The console a game launched on is mere detail when analysing the game itself and the design philosophy behind it. Also, he was based in his FFVII appearance. Dissidia was only used as a slight inspiration for his moveset, but the way his moveset works in that game is nothing like in Smash. Only his dash comes from that game. The rest of his moves are closer to the original material.
And you're incorrect. There was a tech demo shown for the N64 with the FFVI characters, but no game was being made on it (and it wouldn't even make sense if you think about it). FFVII was the game being produced using that initial tech demo, but the game was too large to fit on a cartridge, so they switched hardware. And what does the FF having similar story elements have to do with being related to Nintendo? I meant the design philosophy behind it and the quirks and charm that is put in it. From I-IX you had a similar direction and planning, under the guidance of FF creator Sakaguchi. Him producing a game to a different hardware doesn't change how he thinks a game's design, narrative and characters should be.

I meant his debut on a Nintendo console, not in general.

Again, you're using the console war mentality instead of analysing the franchise itself.
And uhhh... You're talking about Persona Q2? Bc before Cloud in Smash we not only had a KH game with him and a Theatrythm FF, but also FF Explorers. They aren't mainline core titles, but so is Persona Q, tbh.

Lmfao. Now with Bayonetta you forget that she debuted on PS and Xbox. To you it seems it's a matter of being in the console at the current generation, not the franchise, not the characters themselves, not even the series' original debut. I rest my case.

You know Snake debuted in the MSX, a home computer? And that Ryu Hayabusa debuted in the NES?
How does this makes Ryu not have Nintendo-essence?
As stated above, I meant his debut on Nintendo, not in general. I said that to reflect the time the character already had with Nintendo. When I said that about Ryu, I didn't mean in terms of console wars. I meant more along the lines of the series being more classic-oriented or not.
Like, I don't see Mortal Kombat being remotely Nintendo. Again, I understand it's an abstract concept, and my opinion in itself. I don't expect everyone to understand my point. XD
Not shaming on your character, btw. I respect him

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Like, I'm not saying it SHOULD be exclusively Japanese, but imo the largest portion of franchises that are classic-oriented are japanese.
While I agree with you that Steve would be lame for Western representation, I think Western IPs deserve more respect than that. Give the likes of say, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Conker, Master Chief, and much more a fairer shake than that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quite a lot of stuff there that I must point out as some are slight mistakes.
He is from the FF series, an RPG series created with the support of Nintendo in the 1980s, and has since become a mainstay title among the Nintendo fanbase in that time. Not sure if you were alive back then, but I can assure you that FF was big among the people in the community. FFVII was developed for the N64 for a number of months before they decided to shift development. And they insisted in trying to convince Nintendo to change their design for the console, instead of leaving them immediately. So it's not like it came out of nowhere.
You're also seeing things as a person who believes in console wars as if they were a true thing. Like, companies compete, but games tell stories, and they weren't always affiliated with a particular company. There's a reason why the old Nintendo crowd still liked the FF titles up to IX. Play the game and you'll see the similarities to quirks and characteristics of games such as Zelda. The console a game launched on is mere detail when analysing the game itself and the design philosophy behind it. Also, he was based in his FFVII appearance. Dissidia was only used as a slight inspiration for his moveset, but the way his moveset works in that game is nothing like in Smash. Only his dash comes from that game. The rest of his moves are closer to the original material. And you're incorrect. There was a tech demo shown for the N64 with the FFVI characters, but no game was being made on it (and it wouldn't even make sense if you think about it). FFVII was the game being produced using that initial tech demo, but the game was too large to fit on a cartridge, so they switched hardware. And what does the FF having similar story elements have to do with being related to Nintendo? I meant the design philosophy behind it and the quirks and charm that is put in it. From I-IX you had a similar direction and planning, under the guidance of FF creator Sakaguchi. Him producing a game to a different hardware doesn't change how he thinks a game's design, narrative and characters should be.

I meant his debut on a Nintendo console, not in general.

Again, you're using the console war mentality instead of analysing the franchise itself.
And uhhh... You're talking about Persona Q2? Bc before Cloud in Smash we not only had a KH game with him and a Theatrythm FF, but also FF Explorers. They aren't mainline core titles, but so is Persona Q, tbh.
Personal Q2 had him as a main character. He wasn't really important in those FF games at all. It's just cameos/small appearances.

Cloud is strictly from FFVII. And Dissidia. And Advent Children. Nothing else is he from. It's pretty clear when his trailer says "Super Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy VII". He intentionally is designed to have zero Nintendo-related stuff.

We were talking about different developments then. There's a FFVI 3D demo that was made for the 64 itself. That's what I thought you were referring to. However, it doesn't really matter what system it was going to be on. It wasn't a Nintendo game no matter how you stretch it. Intentions are meaningless at that point. It's a PlayStation game entirely. The first actually FFVII-related appearance will be on the Switch only.

None of those views of how FF is similar really matters anyway. Cloud has no proper relations to Nintendo in reality. That's what happened. He's a PlayStation character first and foremost.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It's a PlayStation game entirely.
Not really. It's been on PC for almost as long as the Playstation version.
Cloud has no proper relations to Nintendo in reality. That's what happened. He's a PlayStation character first and foremost.
Pffft. No he's not. You wanna talk Playstation character? You see Crash. Cloud may have been recognized for Playstation back in the day, but not that level. He'd even been showing up in Nintendo spin-off stuff not too long after.

Polan

Smash Lord
I mean, he didn't leak the whole roster, didn't leak Piranha Plant, didn't leak quite a few base roster folk and is so far batting 0-1 in the DLC fields. He's not infallible and don't be surprised that people don't trust him as much as they do other leakers with better track records, and better attitudes at that.
this is like the 10th time that people declare vergeben to be done for lol. i remember when everyone called him a liar pre-e3, wrote him off as finished after simon didn't show up, discredited him because he didn't mention k.rool and the echoes and declared him a fraud after the grinch leak. but he somehow managed to come back from all those and is still chugging along. by all means doubt him but just be aware that historically smash leakers don't have the full picture and that when his sources come through, they really come through.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
When I said that about Ryu, I didn't mean in terms of console wars. I meant more along the lines of the series being more classic-oriented or not.
Like, I don't see Mortal Kombat being remotely Nintendo. Again, I understand it's an abstract concept, and my opinion in itself. I don't expect everyone to understand my point. XD
Not shaming on your character, btw. I respect him
Your restrictions seem woefully arbritrary.

Like, how exactly is the protagonist of Ninja Gaiden, a series with its most iconic amd classic games debuting on the NES, less of a Nintendo classic than Cloud or Snake?

I appreciate you admitting this is all your very abstract personal opinion, because it doesn't make much sense at all. And that's even if you accept it's weird gatekeeping premise

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not really. It's been on PC for almost as long as the Playstation version.
PC is not an actual console, which is what people mean. But fair point.

Pffft. No he's not. You wanna talk Playstation character? You see Crash. Cloud may have been recognized for Playstation back in the day, but not that level. He'd even been showing up in Nintendo spin-off stuff not too long after.
He didn't have any remote meaningful appearances till after Smash anyway. Just tiny cameos. He's still a PlayStation important character till Smash. He wasn't added because of being related to Nintendo in anyway.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
this is like the 10th time that people declare vergeben to be done for lol.
This is the umpteenth time someone's overreacted and tried to pose something as trying to say Verge is done for when it clearly isn't. Calm yourself there.

I just pointed out he ain't infallible and mentioned why a notable amount of folk don't take his word as the gospel.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Personal Q2 had him as a main character. He wasn't really important in those FF games at all. It's just cameos/small appearances.

Cloud is strictly from FFVII. And Dissidia. And Advent Children. Nothing else is he from. It's pretty clear when his trailer says "Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy VII". He intentionally is designed to have zero Nintendo-related stuff.

We were talking about different developments then. There's a FFVI 3D demo that was made for the 64 itself. That's what I thought you were referring to. However, it doesn't really matter what system it was going to be on. It wasn't a Nintendo game no matter how you stretch it. Intentions are meaningless at that point. It's a PlayStation game entirely. The first actually FFVII-related appearance will be on the Switch only.

None of those views of how FF is similar really matters anyway. Cloud has no proper relations to Nintendo in reality. That's what happened. He's a PlayStation character first and foremost.
Persona Q2 is a spinoff. It's not a main title. It's on the same relevancy as FF Explorers, basically. Cloud didn't have a "cameo/small appearance" in those games.

Yes, exactly. And I'm arguing that FFVII launching on PSX first doesn't make the game and characters themselves less classic-oriented in any way. Specially given how much from VI the game already was inspired by and how the design philosophy behind it is the same. Why are you insisting on Dissidia? XD
The game was referenced only once in an interview as it was the FF-themed FG they could be inspired from to create a moveset. The moves in Smash are closer the original FFVII. And yes, referencing Advent Children was a terrible mistake, and shouldn't even be in the game. But being FFVII isn't "intentionally is designed to have zero Nintendo-related stuff" at all.

Yes, you were referencing an earlier stage of S-E's development for their N64 title at the time. The 3D demo was to merely show what they could do with the engine they created, which would be used later in FFVII. And again, yes, it was originally launched on PS, but I'm that doesn't change the character's alingment to what I perceive as something more akin to Nintendo. They were classic-oriented, something FF stopped doing with X onwards. The console a character launches doesn't define the design philosophy.

But I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Maintaining the console wars mentality won't make you understand my point in any way.
I'll have to sleep now, so cheers everyone! See ya tomorrow!

Your restrictions seem woefully arbritrary.

Like, how exactly is the protagonist of Ninja Gaiden, a series with its most iconic amd classic games debuting on the NES, less of a Nintendo classic than Cloud or Snake?

I appreciate you admitting this is all your very abstract personal opinion, because it doesn't make much sense at all. And that's even if you accept it's weird gatekeeping premise
Basically any sort of restrinction is arbitrary, specially within the Smash fandom. XD

Simple. Cloud comes from an RPG series that had 6 main core games on Nintendo consoles (and is reknowned for being the better part of the FF series in its prime), focusing on characters, subtle narrative, fantastical elements and classic-oriented design philosphy. These characteristics pertain to VII, which was produced by the same exact team from VI. The design philosophy didn't change. The characters still had the quirkiness that you would usually find in a Nintendo game. Snake on the other hand not only already had a Nintendo presence, but his games also have a quirk to them, with the game focusing more on tactical espionage. It had more mature elements, but nothing overboard. Ninja Gaiden, in my eyes, is way less family friendly, focusing more on the action and violent aspects rather than characters, broader design philosphy and more classic-oriented strive with art direction, music and narrative.

And sure dude. Not expecting anyone to accept this with open arms anyway. It's just what I think and what I want. Not forcing anything on anyone, if anyone thought that was the case.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
That has nothing to do with the point of there not being as much Erdrick talk as people mistook there to be though. Ya see people constantly going on and on about how supposedly all these insiders are hearing Erdrick, when in reality, not that many actually have, and there's nothing to say that the recent popular text leaks weren't based off that trend and it's likely that 5chan one is a Grinch leak at best.
There's enough comments on Erdrick, just as much as before with other characters. Spawn Wave, Tansut, Vergeben; it's just as much if not bigger than what guys at ERA have shared in common.

Actually, the full story is that he'd mentioned several characters for Season 2 of Dragon Ball FighterZ. Of which, only two came to be, and those were obvious picks. Not sustaining of credibility. SOul Caliber IV notwithstanding, he's back to his infamously bad track record that people knew him for back before Smash Ultimate.
You mean this leak? Vergeben insisted when telling people to not take it seriously, and this was from way back when he still got false info like Mother 3, so even then, he didn't buy that.

You mean the speculation bit where he supposedly leaked a new Castlevania game which we DO NOT have. Also, the compilation (more of a duology at that) wasn't even multiplatform. He got that load dead wrong, no pun intended.
Do you even keep a track on what you say at all? We were talking about Requiem, and I covered that segment properly, not about the new game. Case in point, your own comment:
I have no idea what you're even on at this point, but you do know that he got the info about Castlevanai getting a compilation on the Switch wrong, right?
And as shown in the link I gave before, the multiplatform part was speculation on his behalf, and the new game can still happen.

Oh yes, they'll surely take the silence of all the other guys, because, you know, that's what they've been on to since pre-release. Vergeben isn't taken seriously only because he's right, but also because he's a lot more prominent on leaks than most other people around.

By all means, keep up with what he has to say, he's a jerk, but he's not really an idiot. He may know some things. But don't put his word alone on a pedestal to the level that some people tend to.
I don't put his words on a pedestal, I just find the constant discredit on his accurate leaks to be incredibly petty.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
PC is not an actual console, which is what people mean. But fair point.

He didn't have any remote meaningful appearances till after Smash anyway. Just tiny cameos. He's still a PlayStation important character till Smash. He wasn't added because of being related to Nintendo in anyway.
Well, my point with PC stands. And he still did appear which is something Crash can't say until he went full-on multiplatform.

Also "cameos" be a relative term. He still showed up in substantial story amount in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, to the point where "cameo" don't cut it. He was actually playable for a segment of Re:Coded. He's definitly in Theatrthym fully there, etc.

I mean, if we're gonna be that technical, we may as well count the fact that FFVII was on the 64 at some point.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
All this talk about Western characters. I guess I will give my opinion on the matter.

I’m all for them. Western game industry has produced a lot of icons. And a lot of classics. (Even if imo the Japanese are better at making games and the Western side seems to slowly be sinking into **** with rushed games and predatory business practices).

The thing is, a lot of Western characters hit very similar notes. Many western icons are shooter characters (Doomguy, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, Nathan Drake). A lot of them are generic, normally proportioned humans. So that doesn’t really lend itself well to a game like Smash (then again, Japan is leaning more and more into making samey anime swordfighters so it’s not like the West is the sole culprit).

Western icons generally speaking don’t look like they fit the aesthetic of Smash. Exceptions are of course the cartoony platformer types (Crash, Spyro, Banjo).

Also, western game design is usually based on similar mechanics, or if there are innovative mechanics they’re depending on the environment rather than the character. Take, say, Doomguy and Master Chief. You can differentiate them through their weapons, but generally speaking you’d struggle to differentiate them. Take Nathan Drake and Lara Croft. You can differentiate them through the mystical artifacts they use, or maybe give the former a rope and hook and the latter a bow, but you get the idea.

Contrast with the Japanese side of business. Let’s take three swordfighters from the same genre: Dante, Raiden and 2B. Each of them fights differently, because their different abilities lie in their characters, rather than environmental interaction. Of course, this isn’t all-encompassing: characters like Kratos or Ezio would play unlike anyone else because their skill sets are super unique and they have a huge arsenal at their disposal.

As for the other discussion going on, I’m not even sure what it is due to so many walls of text being thrown around. If somebody’s claiming that somehow Ninja Gaiden or Doom aren’t videogame classics with strong ties to Nintendo, then all I can say is I laugh at the wrongness of said claims.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Persona Q2 is a spinoff. It's not a main title. It's on the same relevancy as FF Explorers, basically. Cloud didn't have a "cameo/small appearance" in those games.

Yes, exactly. And I'm arguing that FFVII launching on PSX first doesn't make the game and characters themselves less classic-oriented in any way. Specially given how much from VI the game already was inspired by and how the design philosophy behind it is the same. Why are you insisting on Dissidia? XD
The game was referenced only once in an interview as it was the FF-themed FG they could be inspired from to create a moveset. The moves in Smash are closer the original FFVII. And yes, referencing Advent Children was a terrible mistake, and shouldn't even be in the game. But being FFVII isn't "intentionally is designed to have zero Nintendo-related stuff" at all.

Yes, you were referencing an earlier stage of S-E's development for their N64 title at the time. The 3D demo was to merely show what they could do with the engine they created, which would be used later in FFVII. And again, yes, it was originally launched on PS, but I'm that doesn't change the character's alingment to what I perceive as something more akin to Nintendo. They were classic-oriented, something FF stopped doing with X onwards. The console a character launches doesn't define the design philosophy.

But I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'll have to sleep now, so cheers everyone! See ya tomorrow!
Persona Q2 is Joker as a main character in the story. It's not about the series having a main appearance, it's about the character's importance to the story.

Being classic-oriented is irrelevant. That doesn't make him have real ties to Nintendo. Cloud's ties were always to the PlayStation first. Advent Children wasn't a mistake to reference either. I am speaking of Dissidia as Cloud was designed based upon that game too. He actually represents that game in some way, just like VII and just like Advent Children. He never had anything to do with other Final Fantasy games. He wasn't meant to.

It does change a lot of what Cloud's alignment is. He was literally born on the PlayStation. You're denying facts here. He had jack-all to do with Nintendo from the start. Development has no bearing on what system he first appeared on.

Well, my point with PC stands. And he still did appear which is something Crash can't say until he went full-on multiplatform.

Also "cameos" be a relative term. He still showed up in substantial story amount in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, to the point where "cameo" don't cut it. He was actually playable for a segment of Re:Coded. He's definitly in Theatrthym fully there, etc.

I mean, if we're gonna be that technical, we may as well count the fact that FFVII was on the 64 at some point.
There was no N64 FFVII demo either. That's like saying Halo had an actual Nintendo appearance at any point because of the scrapped DS game. No, that doesn't make it a legitimate appearance. That means what was intended was scrapped and he stopped relating to Nintendo instead.

Those are still very small appearances in KH, etc. As I pointed out, PC isn't a console. It's also not a competing one with other consoles. It's a general catch-all system for anything under the sun. You could call it as about as notable as MUGEN is when it comes to appearances. As in, it doesn't mean much other than it wasn't a PlayStation-only game. Which isn't what I meant. I did say it wrong, but Cloud's pretty much PlayStation because he has no real ties with Nintendo(and never did, despite the intention). That's just who he is, a PlayStation character who appears in Smash Bros. He's literally designed that way entirely in Smash as well. That's how he's represented. And those are still rather small appearances for Cloud among those other games. As not only was his game not on Nintendo, those were spin-offs too. For the record, I do not consider Joker a Nintendo-related character either for the same reason. He has little to do with Nintendo. Only difference is he had a main character role. Cloud still didn't have that kind of role in the other games you mentioned. He's not the main protagonist. Cameo is a bit off, but it's still a less important role than protagonist.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
As for the other discussion going on, I’m not even sure what it is due to so many walls of text being thrown around. If somebody’s claiming that somehow Ninja Gaiden or Doom aren’t videogame classics with strong ties to Nintendo, then all I can say is I laugh at the wrongness of said claims.
Being a classic on a system is different from being a game catering to classic-oriented standards in general. Like, a game being popular and being more classic are different things, that's what I meant.

I agree with the PC argument. PC is not a console, but their audience was different as well. And again, using console wars logic to define the content itself is borderline fanboyism.

Persona Q2 is Joker as a main character in the story. It's not about the series having a main appearance, it's about the character's importance to the story.

Being classic-oriented is irrelevant. That doesn't make him have real ties to Nintendo. Cloud's ties were always to the PlayStation first. Advent Children wasn't a mistake to reference either. I am speaking of Dissidia as Cloud was designed based upon that game too. He actually represents that game in some way, just like VII and just like Advent Children. He never had anything to do with other Final Fantasy games. He wasn't meant to.

It does change a lot of what Cloud's alignment is. He was literally born on the PlayStation. You're denying facts here. He had jack-all to do with Nintendo from the start. Development has no bearing on what system he first appeared on.
Dude, the story is meaningless. It's a freaking spinoff. If he is a main character from a spinoff game, it just doesn't even remotely have any bearing on the main game. And using your logic, Joker is representing solely Persona 5.

That's the thing. To my logic, it is relevant. It's the very thing that defines Nintendo and their characters. Not the fanboy argument of "X character launched on Y system, so X character has zero bearing on any influence and design philosophy learned and inspired by a company manufacturing Z system".
AC was a terrible mistake, bc the film not only isn't canon anymore to the remake, but it actually has no bearing with Nintendo, its production had almost nothing coming from the original staff (they had to pick the character designer to direct the film in his own way, which shows why the characters and narrative are so inconsistent with the original game). The film's rights are owned by Sony Picture by default. And Cloud being faithful to his original persona in Smash should've been preserved. AC Cloud is a mere shadow of his original self. And as a character, he lacks the very thing that made him more aligned with Nintendo characters from the original game. Dude, Dissidia has NOTHING to do with this interpretation in Smash other than a small inspiration for one small part of his entire moveset. Lmfao.

Cloud doesn't align to a company. He isn't real. He is a fictional character made under a narrative that transcends what hardware it actually is part of. I don't care which console he launched on. What matters is if the character is coherent to the way Nintendo creates and promotes their characters.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So the Japanese expect a disappointing lineup for DLC as well? Even after Joker?
Persona 5 is popular in Japan too but not so much in smash fanbase. I feel Joker's popularity among smash fans in Japan is less than the western smash community. I saw a lot of people confusing about Joker making in over Persona 4 protagonist or Bancho.
Smash annoucement in TGA was not implied in anyway like NoA did so that reveal was literally out of nowhere kind of thing for Japanese people.
There are reactioners doing smash trailers in Japan too but no one did live reaction videos for TGA.
So the inclusion of Joker is kinda considered as gaijin pick already there especially in smash fanbase.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Do you even keep a track on what you say at all?
Please, don't stoop to taking pot-shots. That's a bad sign.
We were talking about Requiem
No we weren't. We were talking about the alleged collection of classic Castlevania titles that Verge suggested were there. Requiem doesn't even have the original 4 games on it. It only has 2 games at that. Whatever, we can argue semantics all we want,
I covered that segment properly, not about the new game. Case in point, your own comment:
And as shown in the link I gave before, the multiplatform part was speculation on his behalf, and the new game can still happen.
I mean, at this point, Verge's words come as vague enough to fit. Like, let's be honest, a Castlevania collection isn't exactly the most surprising thing to come from Konami, especially with rumors about Simon Belmont being as prominent as they were.

So what are we left with? The chance that he may have been right. And that new game is nowhere to be seen. What "can still happen" doesn't amount to any boost in credibility.
ou mean this leak? Vergeben insisted when telling people to not take it seriously, and this was from way back when he still got false info like Mother 3, so even then, he didn't buy that.
No, but that one you showed and what you've said ha shown again, he ain't infallible. Why he'd share info he himself doesn't buy when more professional leakers now better is beyond me.
Oh yes, they'll surely take the silence of all the other guys, because, you know, that's what they've been on to since pre-release.
If that were really the case then people wouldn't have been following them. You'd have to ignore everything that Spawn Wave, Emily Rogers, Imran, Ryce, Stealth and others have been saying since early 2018 before Verge even became a part of the game.
Vergeben isn't taken seriously only because he's right, but also because he's a lot more prominent on leaks than most other people around.
If you say so. It's subjective sure, but hey, you do you. Seriously speaking, yes people do pay him mind. But being taken seriously is relative for several reasons concerning him. It's iffy.
There's enough comments on Erdrick, just as much as before with other characters. Spawn Wave, Tansut, Vergeben; it's just as much if not bigger than what guys at ERA have shared in common.
That's a broad look on things. Of course they've had comments, but they haven't all collectively agreed on him in them. There needs to be a sturdier case at work.
I don't put his words on a pedestal, I just find the constant discredit on his accurate leaks to be incredibly petty.
Well, realize that you're barking up the wrong tree if you think that's the case with me and anyone else who doubts him. Now, when he gets some DLC stuff right, then we'll talk.

At this point, it's still anyone's game, regardless of what Verge says.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Legendary Spirit

Cloud is strictly from FFVII. And Dissidia. And Advent Children. Nothing else is he from. It's pretty clear when his trailer says "Super Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy VII". He intentionally is designed to have zero Nintendo-related
I disagree with this statement. Yes, Cloud is strictly from FFVII , but he definitely represents the FF franchise as a whole.
Final Fantasy was abundant on Nintendo Consoles, and who better to represent the series than one of their most recognizeable protagonists. And as far as cloud being a playstation character is oversimplifying things. Ff7 just happened to be released on the playstation. A lot of that had to do more with technological advances over the other systems Im sure. If Nintendo had a console that was capable running Ff7 ,itprobably would have shown up there too. But the size of that game is massive, especially for a cartridge. I also believe square has always been a third party company, to say that any of their charaters represent any other company wouldnt make much sense.

Smash is evolving into a game about gaming history anyways. We will probably see Overwatch, Fortnite, and Halo content in the future.Wouldnt surprise me.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Being a classic on a system is different from being a game catering to classic-oriented standards in general. Like, a game being popular and being more classic are different things, that's what I meant.
How do you define ‘a game catering to classic-oriented standards’? The nomenclature is really throwing me for a loop.

Persona 5 is popular in Japan too but not so much in smash fanbase. I feel Joker's popularity among smash fans in Japan is less than the western smash community. I saw a lot of people confusing about Joker making in over Persona 4 protagonist or Bancho.
Smash annoucement in TGA was not implied in anyway like NoA did so that reveal was literally out of nowhere kind of thing for Japanese people.
There are reactioners doing smash trailers in Japan too but no one did live reaction videos for TGA.
So the inclusion of Joker is kinda considered as gaijin pick already there especially in smash fanbase.
Wow, that’s crazy. And here we are thinking Joker is Japan-oriented and Erdrick will probably be as well.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
No we weren't.
Yes, we were. Vergeben's leak mentioned a compilation with Symphony of the Night on it, and guess what? That's what Requiem is. Need any more arguments, here:
a group of things (such as songs or pieces of writing) that have been gathered into a collection
It's the definition of "compilation" according to Merriam-Webster's dictionary.

I mean, at this point, Verge's words come as vague enough to fit. Like, let's be honest, a Castlevania collection isn't exactly the most surprising thing to come from Konami, especially with rumors about Simon Belmont being as prominent as they were.
Just because it's not surprising (even though the constant take people had on the company prior to Smash was very different from now) doesn't mean it wasn't a call.

No, but that one you showed and what you've said ha shown again, he ain't infallible. Why he'd share info he himself doesn't buy when more professional leakers now better is beyond me.
Things change. What happened there hasn't happened again ever since. And if you're not talking about that, then what the hell are you even referring to with FighterZ?

You'd have to ignore everything that Spawn Wave,
Had nearly no input on the entire speculation time other than stepping in when the Grinch fiasco was kicking.
Not a single piece of input on the subject either.
See Spawn Wave. Also, already stated that he's refused to leak stuff since MvCI.
Oh yes, how could I forget the guy who everyone latched on to because he said Simon and hasn't called jack since? By the way, where's the Shovel Knight DLC in Smash 4?
others have been saying since early 2018
Literally no one else but Jon and Nibel, who only made a pair of jokes on Ridley.
The only one you were right about was Emily.

Well, realize that you're barking up the wrong tree if you think that's the case with me and anyone else who doubts him. Now, when he gets some DLC stuff right, then we'll talk.
This whole conversation started because you couldn't take the idea that he was right about Smash because he apparently needs to call every single thing he says right, and didn't act like a jerk about the Square character (and funnily enough, you don't bring that anymore), which is hypocritical considering how you later bring Emily and Ryce as "more credible people" when they both have been wrong about stuff in the past.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Yeah, I don't get it either. Banjo & Kazooie don't cater to any kind of classic thing. It was just an evolution of the Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64 formula. That's it. It's not a "classical" game. The game could be called a cult-classic, if it wasn't already iconic enough to be well beyond that anyway. It may not be as iconic as Minecraft or Super Mario is, but it's still iconic.

Also, I'm going to agree to disagree on the whole PlayStation thing. It's a pointless circle.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Going back to Ninja Gaiden and the DOA6 director

Far as I know, everyone with any major relation to the Ninja Gaiden series is gone from Koei Tecmo. This does open up the question of "Who is in charge of Ninja Gaiden?". In any event, if the French interview where he said "I've never talked to Sakurai" (Let's be honest, this statement is totally unnecessary to the question and his answer. This does lead me to believe that he hasn't talked to Sakurai about Smash, period) isn't valid because of his unrelation to Ninja Gaiden, than Irman Kahn's statement about him not wanting to speculate smash isn't valid hint either. Anything this dude says doesn't matter regarding Ryu in smash since we don't know anything about who controls the franchise at Koei Tecmo at the moment.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Going back to Ninja Gaiden and the DOA6 director

Far as I know, everyone with any major relation to the Ninja Gaiden series is gone from Koei Tecmo. This does open up the question of "Who is in charge of Ninja Gaiden?". In any event, if the French interview where he said "I've never talked to Sakurai" (Let's be honest, this statement is totally unnecessary to the question and his answer. This does lead me to believe that he hasn't talked to Sakurai about Smash, period) isn't valid because of his unrelation to Ninja Gaiden, than Irman Kahn's statement about him not wanting to speculate smash isn't valid hint either. Anything this dude says doesn't matter regarding Ryu in smash since we don't know anything about who controls the franchise at Koei Tecmo at the moment.
Well, we know Sakurai likes to talk to the creators of the characters when including them in Smash. But that does bring up a lot of questions.

Yuji Naka (creator of Sonic), Keiji Inafune (not the creator of Mega Man, but considered as such), Toru Iwatani (creator of Pac-Man), Takashi Nishiyama and Yoshiki Okamoto (creator of Ryu and director of Street Fighter II, respectively), Kasuhige Nojima and Hironobu Sakaguchi (event planner and producer for Final Fantasy VII, with Sakaguchi also being the creator of Final Fantasy), and Koji Igarashi (considered the leading figure in Castlevania’s transition towards Metroidvania with Symphony of the Night onwards) are all character creators that no longer work at the company that owns their characters. Hideo Kojima as well, although he still worked at Konami when Snake was added in Brawl. But that means that only Cloud (partially), Bayonetta and Joker had their creators (or at least, the guys that Sakurai would want to talk to) still at their companies. For the rest, Sakurai would either have to just take inspiration from the games themselves, or seek them out separately to chat.

Given Sakurai’s connections, I lean towards the latter, so I think Sakurai speaks to whoever he needs to get the character’s license, and then goes to chat with the character’s creator for their blessing. So in the case of Ninja Gaiden, I think Sakurai would just seek out Hideo Yoshizawa (director of the original trilogy and Ryu’s creator) and maybe Tomonobu Itagaki (creator of Dead or Alive and the second Ninja Gaiden trilogy) for consultation. Fun fact, Itagaki is now working at Valhalla Game Studios, which co-made Devil’s Third with Nintendo, so he’d be an easy find.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well, we know Sakurai likes to talk to the creators of the characters when including them in Smash. But that does bring up a lot of questions.

Yuji Naka (creator of Sonic), Keiji Inafune (not the creator of Mega Man, but considered as such), Toru Iwatani (creator of Pac-Man), Takashi Nishiyama and Yoshiki Okamoto (creator of Ryu and director of Street Fighter II, respectively), Kasuhige Nojima and Hironobu Sakaguchi (event planner and producer for Final Fantasy VII, with Sakaguchi also being the creator of Final Fantasy), and Koji Igarashi (considered the leading figure in Castlevania’s transition towards Metroidvania with Symphony of the Night onwards) are all character creators that no longer work at the company that owns their characters. Hideo Kojima as well, although he still worked at Konami when Snake was added in Brawl. But that means that only Cloud (partially), Bayonetta and Joker had their creators (or at least, the guys that Sakurai would want to talk to) still at their companies. For the rest, Sakurai would either have to just take inspiration from the games themselves, or seek them out separately to chat.

Given Sakurai’s connections, I lean towards the latter, so I think Sakurai speaks to whoever he needs to get the character’s license, and then goes to chat with the character’s creator for their blessing. So in the case of Ninja Gaiden, I think Sakurai would just seek out Hideo Yoshizawa (director of the original trilogy and Ryu’s creator) and maybe Tomonobu Itagaki (creator of Dead or Alive and the second Ninja Gaiden trilogy) for consultation. Fun fact, Itagaki is now working at Valhalla Game Studios, which co-made Devil’s Third with Nintendo, so he’d be an easy find.
The problem is these people can't give Sakurai permission to use the characters, the best he can get from them is their blessings to persue it (If sakurai even cares about such limitations). They don't own these characters, their parent companies do. Using Snake as an example, Kojima likely had no idea he was in Smash (through official channels). He no longer controls the franchise and Konami's not going to tell a former employee of their plans for the character in 3rd party projects. If Sakurai wants to use the characters, he goes to the character's owners (not the creators) and from there is put in contact with the people that control the franchise/characters.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The problem is these people can't give Sakurai permission to use the characters, the best he can get from them is their blessings to persue it (If sakurai even cares about such limitations). They don't own these characters, their parent companies do. Using Snake as an example, Kojima likely had no idea he was in Smash (through official channels). He no longer controls the franchise and Konami's not going to tell a former employee of their plans for the character in 3rd party projects. If Sakurai wants to use the characters, he goes to the character's owners (not the creators) and from there is put in contact with the people that control the franchise/characters.
Sure, but the owner of the characters isn’t a person, but a company. He wouldn’t speak to a game’s director or producer, he’d speak to the legal team.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's more that Sakurai can willingly ask the creators for helpful input, regardless if they still own the character. Advice is free. If he asked Kojima for help with Snake, after licensing him from the proper channels, it's no big deal.

But yeah, you are right that the creators don't matter at all to talk to alone. What matters is if he discussed things with the IP holders as is.

Top Bottom