• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xigger

Smash Lord
Everyone's missing one large point when it comes to the DLC order:

Joker was announced first, on a whim at game release.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's releasing first.

D

Deleted member

Everyone's missing one large point when it comes to the DLC order:

Joker was announced first, on a whim at game release.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's releasing first.
They advertised him as Challenger Pack 1. He is almost certainly releasing first.

D

Deleted member

DLC seems to be going decently considering the plant was released with a decent time before the estimated release date. Depending on how the rest of the DLC goes, since stages are also coming with the DLC packs, we can probably have every character announced by November at the latest. It wouldn't surprise me with the brave and jack data in the game, that we would have simultaneous releases a la Smash 4.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hopes for Geno:

"Temper your expectations" / "lol Geno no way dude"

Hopes for other character, sometimes another irrelevant character:

"oh okay cool"

I cannot expect a character I want at all and I'll still feel disappointed, just keep quiet whoever does this you're hounding Geno fans and whoever else supports "irrelevant" characters for no reason (honestly I see no one do this to the other supported "irrelevant" characters around these boards; rarely there is a Steve vs. Banjo-Kazooie deal but it's mostly Steve being the punching bag save me).

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Im really hoping we get a Mario vs Cloud introduction trailer. However Sora jumps in to help mario, and as the fight goes on they are at a disadvantage. However, Sora mentions he brought a friend with him from a world of Toys as backup. (Geno ofcourse).

I would take two characters over stages and additional music any day of the week.

D

Deleted member

Im really hoping we get a Mario vs Cloud introduction trailer. However Sora jumps in to help mario, and as the fight goes on they are at a disadvantage. However, Sora mentions he brought a friend with him from a world of Toys as backup. (Geno ofcourse).

I would take two characters over stages and additional music any day of the week.
****ING PLEASE

D

Deleted member

So discussing Piranha Plant, he's actually incredibly fun. I wasn't sure how to accept him at first, but he really does play like the typical joke character because of how silly the idea is. Its moveset references the variety of different Piranha Plants throughout the Mario series and it's personality is brimming. One of its victory animation is attacking Mario. That's hilarious. A lot of love was definitely put into this, and it was a ****ing random Mario mook. Imagine the quality the DLC fighters are going to bring. It's a good test drive of what to expect. Even if I end up not getting my dream characters, I would end up feeling fine because I know the DLC is in good hands. This is fine because now I'm really open to the idea of Sora or Sephirath being in Smash Bros. Maybe even Slime! Before it was a "I accept the idea" but now it's "I don't care who gets in because it'll be good anyways." I'll buy the season pass for this alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Btw, is there anything new on the DLC front beside the removal of Jack and Brave files? Also, Joker is definitely the first one being released considering they stated loud and clear FIGHTER PASS 1.

D

Deleted member

So discussing Piranha Plant, he's actually incredibly fun. I wasn't sure how to accept him at first, but he really does play like the typical joke character because of how silly the idea is. Its moveset references the variety of different Piranha Plants throughout the Mario series and it's personality is brimming. One of its victory animation is attacking Mario. That's hilarious. A lot of love was definitely put into this, and it was a ****ing random Mario mook. Imagine the quality the DLC fighters are going to bring. It's a good test drive of what to expect. Even if I end up not getting my dream characters, I would end up feeling fine because I know the DLC is in good hands. This is fine because now I'm really open to the idea of Sora or Sephirath being in Smash Bros. Maybe even Slime! Before it was a "I accept the idea" but now it's "I don't care who gets in because it'll be good anyways." I'll buy the season pass for this alone.
This is a great mindset to have. From what I've noticed, a lot of people have the tendency to see a character for *who* they are rather than *what* they are, the way I see it I think that as long as the character has an interesting moveset and they're at least somewhat noteworthy as a character that they would be a fine inclusion.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

While I don't envision heroes facing each other in cinematic trailers for Ultimate (you can see that they stopped it from the very first trailer), it's quite an interesting concept.
I came up with one of my own, where the original S-E character that the leakers know of is revealed alongside my pick as the surprise character.

Mario, Cloud and some other character (Link, hopefully), walk along a forest, where they meet some of the villains that are already in the game attempting an abush (hopefully Bowser, Ganondorf and Ridley). As the heroes start struggling, the new character appears (I was using Erdrick as a placeholder given all of the buzz behind him currently, but it could be Sora, Geno or whatever). Gameplay scenes are shown, ending with the cinematic where they leave the villains tired and bruised. As they seem to go away, the epic orchestral music of that character is nearing its end, as a shadow looms over the character. Mario sees a black feather, immediately enters in despair as Cloud is already one step ahead and pushes the character away from the looming threat. A sword pierces him the exact same manner that happened in FFVII and in AC, with the scene shown with the artstyle of Ridley's trailer when he attacks Mario and Megaman. A black wing sprouts out, One Winged Angel plays, we get the title card and gameplay segment. The trailer ends with Mario, Link and Erdrick/Sora/Geno going at the villains once again as OWA ends.

How can a fan's imagination run wild right?
But that's possibly the biggest fun in times like this.

100% agreed. The love they put into him should be a demonstration of the care and love they put into the DLCs that are coming in the future.
I loved playing PP!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is a great mindset to have. From what I've noticed, a lot of people have the tendency to see a character for *who* they are rather than *what* they are, the way I see it I think that as long as the character has an interesting moveset and they're at least somewhat noteworthy as a character that they would be a fine inclusion.
That's theoretically true, but never underestimate the power of newcomers. I'm saying all of this about Piranha Plant and DLC as someone who got King K. Rool, who was his second most wanted character. King K. Rool was what ultimately pushed me to buy a Switch just for Ultimate. Otherwise, I might have skipped out on Smash Ultimate, which is strange to think about now. That was a weird point in my life where my brother and I sold all of our game consoles and games so I was questioning whether to get a Switch.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
At the same time that's completely valid. It's not really a tendency if it's perfectly valid.
You forget what sets Smash apart. The characters themselves; an all-star lineup of Nintendo and gaming icons.
For me Smash isn't a game where I'm too focused on a moveset, because it's not designed like most "movesets first actual character later" games. It's designed like "actual character fans know and love...with a great moveset."

D

Deleted member

Honestly I think Plant demonstrates how a smash character should be, even if that’s exaggerated a bit. Personality, all their iconic moves included, fun animation and play style and tons of references. If this is the bar we’re setting for DLC then I have high hopes. Gameplay can do a lot to sell you on a character.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's theoretically true, but never underestimate the power of newcomers. I'm saying all of this about Piranha Plant and DLC as someone who got King K. Rool, who was his second most wanted character. King K. Rool was what ultimately pushed me to buy a Switch just for Ultimate. Otherwise, I might have skipped out on Smash Ultimate, which is strange to think about now. That was a weird point in my life where my brother and I sold all of our game consoles and games so I was questioning whether to get a Switch.
This is so incredibly true. Honestly, if K. Rool had been DLC, I would have instantly dropped my money on him and gone out of my way. I wasn't even so sure about how soon I'd get Ultimate, but once K. Rool was revealed, I was like, "I HAVE to get this game ASAP." Other characters like Banjo or Geno would have given that effect, as well, and will do so for Fighter's Pass if one of them ends up in (which is like, nigh-0% chance lmao).

With that said, Erdrick, if he is our rep, will definitely have a neat move set, but the reception of who the character is will count either positively or negatively for him. (Mostly the former for the east, and I'd wager more of the latter for the west.) Corrin doesn't seem to be so well-received by too many people, as far as I can tell, yet his/her moveset is fantastic. They're a dynamic and interesting character. With that said, though, I didn't really care and never bought them as DLC.

Erdrick is such a weird case to me that it's like... it's a wait-and-see game. While I think he definitely deserves the slot, I'm pretty meh about him and I wouldn't buy him, no matter how cool his move set is. If a character doesn't have staying power for my particular interest beyond a move set, I'll just skip them out. That's just me, though.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, I think the biggest issue with Pirahna Plant was the timing of his reveal moreso than the reveal itself. probably didn't help Pirahna Plant's reputation that it got revealed after Everybody's hopes and dreams were crushed (everyone excopt Incineroar fans anyways). Had he been revealed any other time, it would have still been a pretty WTF moment, but people wouldn't have been as bitter since atleast they would have had "EVERYONE IS HERE" to distract them, or the reveals of the overdue reptile bros, or the Castlevania stuff. Even the Sept. direct might have gone over better since after a little while people were just like "eh, this wasn't entirely directed at the hardcore smashbase anyways..."

Personally, I'm still not entirely crazy about Plant's inclusion. Not even because of salt of characters I didn't want making it in, but I just didn't like the idea of a generic mook becoming a character.

if there's a silver lining to Pirahna Plant being added though, it's that people can't ever really complain about how a character could have an interesting moveset.

hater: "OMG, how could they possibly think of a moveset for this character!"
Me: "Dude, a friggin pirahna plant got a nice moveset..."

Granted Captain falcon should have prevented such stuff, but eh, the more proof the merrier.

D

Deleted member

This is so incredibly true. Honestly, if K. Rool had been DLC, I would have instantly dropped my money on him and gone out of my way. I wasn't even so sure about how soon I'd get Ultimate, but once K. Rool was revealed, I was like, "I HAVE to get this game ASAP." Other characters like Banjo or Geno would have given that effect, as well, and will do so for Fighter's Pass if one of them ends up in (which is like, nigh-0% chance lmao).

With that said, Erdrick, if he is our rep, will definitely have a neat move set, but the reception of who the character is will count either positively or negatively for him. (Mostly the former for the east, and I'd wager more of the latter for the west.) Corrin doesn't seem to be so well-received by too many people, as far as I can tell, yet his/her moveset is fantastic. They're a dynamic and interesting character. With that said, though, I didn't really care and never bought them as DLC.

Erdrick is such a weird case to me that it's like... it's a wait-and-see game. While I think he definitely deserves the slot, I'm pretty meh about him and I wouldn't buy him, no matter how cool his move set is. If a character doesn't have staying power for my particular interest beyond a move set, I'll just skip them out. That's just me, though.
Funny thing is that I was going to buy the game on release day since it was announced :b, but what sold me completely was the "Everyone is Here" announcement. I think for a lot of people, they are going to buy the game as long as it has the staple characters and looks fun to play.

I don't think that Corrin is hated solely by being a somewhat dull character in their game. But I feel that the smash community, from I've seen, holds a lot of grudges at characters for "stealing spots" and being a swordsman from FE was just the cherry on top. I even remember seeing a lot of people here being divided on the Plant from the rate the character thread.

I feel that a character like Erdrick will have negative reception on the smash community, not because he is unknown but because people will see Erdrick "stealing the spot" of another rep within the mind of a fanbase. For the general public, I feel that what will make or break the DLC will be presentation of the character. As we add characters and franchises, a lot of the franchises are not necessarily that known with the general public but will get people interested if the character looks fun.

D

Deleted member

But I feel that the smash community, from I've seen, holds a lot of grudges at characters for "stealing spots"
Definetely. Incineroar has gotten a ton of hate simply for the fact that he was what we got "instead" of the Grinch leak characters, and people should look at a character for who they are rather than who they're not.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Corrin and Erdrick's case couldn't be more different though.

The only thing in common is that a very few people in the west knew them.

Corrin = 6th character from the same series.
Erdrick = First timer.

Corrin = Meant to advertise new game.
Erdrick = Retro character from 8-bit games.

Corrin = 1st/2nd party
Erdrick = 3rd party

People are going to warm up to Erdrick waaaay faster, if he got in, than Corrin.
And I'm not just saying that because I'm a big fan of one and just started to hate the other one less.

But if there's one thing I take away from this is that it's kind of sad that people hate character inclusions that they don't know about. Which is why when PP was announced everyone was so unrealistically happy.. As long as they know the character, people today don't care if they get a mook. (Or hey, maybe people actually wanted a mook?)

In the Brawl days, so many people, myself included, met Geno for they first time, and thought "hey, he could be neat!".

D

Deleted member

Uhhhh
I can't open my Switch now, but is this legit?
Of course not.
1) They would have lied about it taking until 2020 to finish.
2) Them all being on new years and eleven years from now leads me to think they're placeholder dates. Carry on.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I've only started spriting 3 days ago and I've already improved so much. The best way to get better is by practicing. If you guys have a goal and have been struggling to achieve it, just remember that everyone has the ability to improve. Never give up and keep pursuing your dreams.

Untouch

Smash Master
By the way, it's confirmed that the song number 92 (it was missing previously, between Inkling and Incineroar) DID belong to Piranha Plant this whole time.
So no, no characters were cut from the game, and it is very likely that Piranha Plant was intended to be base roster.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Of course not.
1) They would have lied about it taking until 2020 to finish.
2) Them all being on new years and eleven years from now leads me to think they're placeholder dates. Carry on.
The idea I take from this is not that it should be taken literally. But that the change of dates may say something else.
Like the idea of a Season 2. I mean, why change the date that was previously there that fits the Season Pass we have currently?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
By the way, it's confirmed that the song number 92 (it was missing previously, between Inkling and Incineroar) DID belong to Piranha Plant this whole time.
So no, no characters were cut from the game, and it is very likely that Piranha Plant was intended to be base roster.
I wonder if this is why PP also got a guidance, and if the pass characters will get the old "Who is that?" one.

D

Deleted member

That would explain the plant in the banner as well. Probably was moved to promo DLC during development time.

Now I'm curious if the new characters are going to be added to the banner as well, it could indicate a lot of planning beforehand.

D

Deleted member

That would explain the plant in the banner as well. Probably was moved to promo DLC during development time.

Now I'm curious if the new characters are going to be added to the banner as well, it could indicate a lot of planning beforehand.
Has anyone discovered if Piranha Plant is on the Classic Mode mural. I want to see how far this art train runs.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord

As someone that has Geno and Sora tied in my #1 most wanted spot, I'd die of happiness if this happened.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, and make sure to not spoil anything, what are peoples thoughts on KH3? That is, if you have it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I ****in' knew it.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
So, and make sure to not spoil anything, what are peoples thoughts on KH3? That is, if you have it.
Don't have it, but spoiled myself on a ton of stuff.
Pretty impressed by how they managed to tie many of the knots that were left open.
But I ended up quite unhappy by how they dealed with Xehanort. Narrative is decently better, but definitely still Nomura.
Excited for the future of the series, and I hope a new writer is hired this time.
Oh, and I feel sorry for those who expect to understand the entire game without knowing a thing from Union Cross and Back Cover. XD
The game, however, is very polished regarding the worlds themselves. The gameplay seems to be miles better than what the Osaka team have made for the past decade. Soundtrack solid as always, although I was a bit bummed that the music for the boss fight before the final one had a way better track than the actual final battle.
And yes, I'll play it anyways. Just a matter of time.

Top Bottom