• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be quite honest Lucina's inclusion was more polarizing because of her getting as a clone while Chrom got shafted (Palutena's Guidance not helping at all). And on Cloud, well, purists will be purists, people that can come to be very egotistical about their tastes on character wishes and their ideals on what Smash is; it's not like things have gone any better for them with the Belmonts, Ken and (specially) Joker.
The most hate the Belmonts sometimes got is because some believe 3rd parties should never get a second character. Or it had to be Sonic first(when that's not how it works anyway. It's reasonable to say Sonic could get another character, but most of the time it's a bad argument of "deserves", as that doesn't get characters in. At least some use the good one of "many Sonic characters are more than iconic/popular enough to justify it". Not sure why Ken got much hate beyond the first point. I mean, yes, I can see a few people salty Shadow got shafted, but there's no way to know exactly why. Did Sakurai not consider him? Did Sega say no? Did Sakurai realize that adding Shadow didn't have a key purpose like the other two? Ken and Richter were more than just popular, after all. They also had secondary reasons. Ken was the original Echo, whereas Richter shared a moveset overhaul with Simon, justifying them together. I wouldn't be surprised if Shadow didn't have something extra that gave him a reason to be in. It's possible Sonic Forces' Shadow DLC came out too late for him to use that as an excuse(so advertisement + general popularity).

Then again, DLC is still going on. Not that I think he's likely to get in, even among a bunch of extra Echoes, but characters we thought should be in might still have a chance this time around.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The most hate the Belmonts sometimes got is because some believe 3rd parties should never get a second character. Or it had to be Sonic first(when that's not how it works anyway. It's reasonable to say Sonic could get another character, but most of the time it's a bad argument of "deserves", as that doesn't get characters in. At least some use the good one of "many Sonic characters are more than iconic/popular enough to justify it". Not sure why Ken got much hate beyond the first point. I mean, yes, I can see a few people salty Shadow got shafted, but there's no way to know exactly why. Did Sakurai not consider him? Did Sega say no? Did Sakurai realize that adding Shadow didn't have a key purpose like the other two? Ken and Richter were more than just popular, after all. They also had secondary reasons. Ken was the original Echo, whereas Richter shared a moveset overhaul with Simon, justifying them together. I wouldn't be surprised if Shadow didn't have something extra that gave him a reason to be in. It's possible Sonic Forces' Shadow DLC came out too late for him to use that as an excuse(so advertisement + general popularity).

Then again, DLC is still going on. Not that I think he's likely to get in, even among a bunch of extra Echoes, but characters we thought should be in might still have a chance this time around.
I think people were so angry at Shadow not making it out of just the fact that there was a lot of demand for him and it got ignored. Reasons behind that wouldn't change the main reaction at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think people were so angry at Shadow not making it out of just the fact that there was a lot of demand for him and it got ignored. Reasons behind that wouldn't change the main reaction at all.
Actually, a lot changed when people realized how quickly it was pointless to blame Sakurai over nothing. Or Sega over nothing. It took almost no time at all to bring people back in check. They're a lot more open than you think. Especially since people were never expecting a 3rd party series to get 2 characters from the start. Also, people expected Tails or Eggman more often as is. Shadow didn't really get expected by any large degree till Richter got shown off. There was mixed reception on how he should be, though, but that was it. That didn't change either, of course.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say all of them (:ultwiifittrainer::ultdarkpit: comes to mind) and even popular characters like :ultlucina::ultcloud: got some hate due to circumstances, but yeah, haters generally overrate their number and influence on the character picks.

Look how popular Isabelle, PP and Incineroar are, especially among more casual fans.
I was just talking about DLC, as far as Base goes Dark Pit got a lot of hate, and Lucina, WFT, and Duck Hunt got a fair bit, but calmed down quickly themselves. PEople complaining about too much Fire Emblem wasn't really a thing until DLC. Yeah cloud had some vitrol too, but from what I saw it dissipated quickly and those who disliked him whe a very smasll minority. I cant think of anyone in Ultimate base/Plant that comes anywhere close the characters I listed.

Also since it's being discussed at the moment, I would be completely down for a Second Sonic character, and that we should have at least gotten an Eggman boss or *insert sonic game final boss monster here* If we can have Drac/Rathalos.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
No matter who Brave is, the 'haters' are still most likely going to buy the DLC. If you post on these forums you already have Smash injected into your veins and you always need some more. Like yeah there will be some grandstanding on day 0 but they won't last long, i imagine it will go somewhat like this...

Klimax

Smash Ace
No matter who Brave is, the 'haters' are still most likely going to buy the DLC. If you post on these forums you already have Smash injected into your veins and you always need some more. Like yeah there will be some grandstanding on day 0 but they won't last long, i imagine it will go somewhat like this...

I couldn't agree more with a post.
People will get DLC, they will play the game until death and nothing else, no matter how loud they cry.

Last edited:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
For a square rep. Actually who I want is Lara Croft. I can't believe she's not on the poll!

Dreaming of a Lara vs snake in smash

Klimax

Smash Ace
For a square rep. Actually who I want is Lara Croft. I can't believe she's not on the poll!

I could support Lara, but only if it was the real badass Lara Croft from the first game with the Angelina Jolie's look and not the millenial crying baby from the last game. She's just too generic now in my opinion.
But OG Lara was the real deal.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
You did what I was insinuating, it's all good. Oh, and just in case you might miss this...
This is kinda late but: I don't think she's bad, it's just that the way she was handled was kinda forced. They gave her too much focus in 358/2 days where everything she contributed to the story could've been done by another character. She could have been used in a more interesting way, maybe making her a playable character and making a game about her that didn't focus too much on her relationship with Sora/Kairi/Roxas.

This one is more of a personal rant but, I wanted to see other members of the Organization XIII getting at least a little more focus in 358/2 days, but the game decided to focus mostly on Xion.

I really like her, but I just wish her character wasn't so forced in the game. I'd still love her regardless of how much focus she gets. It's more of a personal nitpick really.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is kinda late but: I don't think she's bad, it's just that the way she was handled was kinda forced. They gave her too much focus in 358/2 days where everything she contributed to the story could've been done by another character. She could have been used in a more interesting way, maybe making her a playable character and making a game about her that didn't focus too much on her relationship with Sora/Kairi/Roxas.

This one is more of a personal rant but, I wanted to see other members of the Organization XIII getting at least a little more focus in 358/2 days, but the game decided to focus mostly on Xion.

I really like her, but I just wish her character wasn't so forced in the game. I'd still love her regardless of how much focus she gets. It's more of a personal nitpick really.
I can see where you are coming from, but it's not like the organization members got totally ignored in 358/2 days. Saix got some cool stuff, this was the first game where Xigbar started to get some major importance hints, and lets not forget that Roxas and Axle were just as prevalent to the story as Xion. And at the very least, you got some interactions with the other members on the days you worked with them. The game was even nice enough to have you hang out with the Oblivion team a little bit before they all get axed. I still understand where you are coming from though, as it still would have been nice to get more interaction with the more obscure members. Perhaps they were saving them, as we have been getting some serious Organization member backstory recently.
I will also say this, I have only just recently found out that 358/2 days manga is really wholesome.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The poll was centered around characters mentioned on a list from a leaker (your "friendly" leaker Vergeben) about a potential SE rep.

She is certainly one of the most often forgotten characters lately, especially compared to her popularity on the mid-late 90s to early 2000s. She would be a good addition to the roster, her acrobatics fit in a game like smash and she carries a big legacy behind her (it would also make Smash Ultimate the best Playstation All Star Battle Royale game)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
HOLY **** THAT SECRET ENDING TO KHIII THAT GOT PATCHED. OMFG

Lmfao, the crazy leaker was kinda right in the end, holy crap

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no interest in Tomb Raider and I immediately think she would be an awesome representative. Question to all Tomb Raider fans, though. What would differentiate Croft from characters like Zero Suit Samus or Fox? I feel their might be overlap as an outsider looking in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
HOLY **** THAT SECRET ENDING TO KHIII THAT GOT PATCHED. OMFG

Lmfao, the crazy leaker was kinda right in the end, holy crap
How crazy are we talking? I have not been able to view it yet for reasons, so rate it from a scale of 1 to 10.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
How crazy are we talking? I have not been able to view it yet for reasons, so rate it from a scale of 1 to 10.
10 (probably my hype speaking, so I'll give it an 8-9 at least)
Never been this excited since the secret ending of KHII
A huge realm of possibilities has been opened, with an epic premisse and tons of potential.

And as a Final Fantasy fan, you might get a very slight nod to something that might make you get hyped to the heavens.

Oh, and another fandom will lose their **** because it might very well have certain characters there as well, but if I name them, I'll spoil it

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I can see where you are coming from, but it's not like the organization members got totally ignored in 358/2 days. Saix got some cool stuff, this was the first game where Xigbar started to get some major importance hints, and lets not forget that Roxas and Axle were just as prevalent to the story as Xion. And at the very least, you got some interactions with the other members on the days you worked with them. The game was even nice enough to have you hang out with the Oblivion team a little bit before they all get axed. I still understand where you are coming from though, as it still would have been nice to get more interaction with the more obscure members. Perhaps they were saving them, as we have been getting some serious Organization member backstory recently.
I will also say this, I have only just recently found out that 358/2 days manga is really wholesome.
I really need to read this manga one day. Looks like a good read.

Also, here's the Days trio. I'll be making the Organization XIII three at a time. Not sure which ones to make next.

Their coats are so annoying to make... and I feel like something is off with these. I'll probably revamp them after I find out what it is.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really need to read this manga one day. Looks like a good read.

Also, here's the Days trio. I'll be making the Organization XIII three at a time. Not sure which ones to make next.

Their coats are so annoying to make... and I feel like something is off with these. I'll probably revamp them after I find out what it is.
I like them, but I can see what you mean. I am sure you will figure it out, you have plenty more coat wearers to make after all.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I think I figured it out. The coats look way too thin. I gave Roxas a wider one and it looks way better.

Any suggestions as to which three I should make next?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
All right guys. I know I’m not one to get my hopes up. But...

Ultimate has now surpassed Brawl’s lifetime sales. It’s now the best selling Smash game in history and it’s the 3rd best selling Switch game in history.

And it’s been less than 60 DAYS since the game came out.

If Nintendo doesn’t even consider the option of a 2nd Fighters Pass, I think it would be a really stupid business move.

They’ve got a much bigger audience than Smash 4’s DLC audience and the game is not gonna die anytime soon.

Might as well capitalize on it.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord

Ultimate has now surpassed Brawl’s lifetime sales. It’s now the best selling Smash game in history and it’s the 3rd best selling Switch game in history.

If Nintendo doesn’t even consider the option of a 2nd Fighters Pass, I think it would be a really stupid business move.

They’ve got a much bigger audience than Smash 4’s DLC audience and the game is not gonna die anytime soon.

They should make a new Smash Ballot and turn the top 5 most voted worldwide into DLC characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think I figured it out. The coats look way too thin. I gave Roxas a wider one and it looks way better.

Any suggestions as to which three I should make next?
Well, besides updating the others, Saix and Xigbar would probably be the next logical steps.

D

Deleted member

You mean from the business report?

I would say the best thing currently in favor for DLC is not the sales (which help), but rather the current Sakurai statements that the game is relatively balanced. So hopefully this means maintenance is not that of an exhaustive process.

Sales are encouraging considering the game is going to surpass the Sm4sh 3DS+WiiU sales relatively soon to become the best selling Smash.

Still, I would try to keep expectations in check. Specially since Sakurai and the staff may move to other projects.

D

Deleted member

Bit late, but I think at most Erdrick will get a “who” reaction. Corrin’s salt mainly came from the fact that he was announced after the ballot and there was already some complaining about anime swordsmen and Fire Emblem characters.
I mean,
94519AD3-D94B-40A8-B123-D608E7ABF0DF.jpeg

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
You mean from the business report?

I would say the best thing currently in favor for DLC is not the sales (which help), but rather the current Sakurai statements that the game is relatively balanced. So hopefully this means maintenance is not that of an exhaustive process.

Sales are encouraging considering the game is going to surpass the Sm4sh 3DS+WiiU sales relatively soon to become the best selling Smash.

Still, I would try to keep expectations in check. Specially since Sakurai and the staff may move to other projects.
Good point. If maintenance of the game isn’t as taxing on Sakurai and the dev team, it might increase the likelihood of future characters being introduced into the meta.

Even though I slightly disagree w/ how Sakurai comes to the conclusion of the game is balanced (in regards to certain characters and how they collect the data supporting that statement), as long as they keep the state of the game balanced around the same level as it is now, it would bode well for future DLC.

I’m still gonna be reserved in my expectations, like everything else regarding DLC.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Here's the girl and the girly guys

EDIT: Zexion's book becomes hard to see properly with the black background.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's the girl and the girly guys

EDIT: Zexion's book becomes hard to see properly with the black background.
I would not say Zexion is that girly. Marluxia on the other hand was originally going to be a girl until the developers realized the accidental implications that would be made if the Organizations only known girls at the time where both traitors.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Finally finished the set.

I like how some turned out, like Roxas and Saix, but some also look weird, like Zexion and Xaldin. I'll need to revisit this later, but for now I'll take a break on Kingdom Hearts.

COMPLETE: Roxas, Xion, Axel, Saix, Xemnas.
Needs finishing touches: Lexaeus, Vexen, Demyx, Marluxia, Luxord, Xigbar.
Needs a revamp: Larxene, Zexion, Xaldin.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
These look amazing! It's nice to see the whole gang together again. Also, I can believe I missed Org XII discussion. They were my favorite part of the games when/after I played through Two, Days, and RE CoM.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yep, that Direct is coming soon. No launch date announced in the video
Thought for a sec there that Cloud would come to MK. XD

I laughed out loud with the quirky humor Nintendo already pulled off by referencing the "Attack when its tail is up........."

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yep, that Direct is coming soon. No launch date announced in the video
Thought for a sec there that Cloud would come to MK. XD

I laughed out loud with the quirky humor Nintendo already pulled off by referencing the "Attack when its tail is up........."

Hey, maybe Cloud will come to MK with Geno and Mallow in a promotional SE pack!

... Yeah, I know, I can keep dreaming.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
For real tho if Cloud rode the motorcycle he stole from Shinra it'd be pretty sick and further the Link vs. Cloud thing since they'd both be in MK8.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
For real tho if Cloud rode the motorcycle he stole from Shinra it'd be pretty sick and further the Link vs. Cloud thing since they'd both be in MK8.
Where did the Link VS Cloud thing start anyway? It seems to have been a thing for years, but I never understood where it came from.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Where did the Link VS Cloud thing start anyway? It seems to have been a thing for years, but I never understood where it came from.
When FF7 came out, it exploded in popularity and had extremely high review scores all across the board. People, after it came out, hyped it up as the best game ever.

Then, not even a year later, Ocarina of Time came out and accomplished the same thing, with longer lasting power, and on a rival video game system.

That about sums it up.

Top Bottom