• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's the The World Ends With You gang. Beat and Rhyme were the most fun to make.

I will say, these are all very good. I don't even know TWEWY all that well and I am kinda geeking out. What do you plan to do next? I imagine it would be KH characters, considering KH3 is out and you have voiced your want for Sora, plus the Sora/Geno icon and all.

ZelDan

Smash Master
That's enough time to develop multiple Smash games.

Wait...

Are the Challenger Packs secretly remakes of all the Smash games so far?

Melee HD, here we ****ing go.
It'd be nice to have the controller-clacking intensity of Melee without having to worry about keeping a CRT TV around

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I will say, these are all very good. I don't even know TWEWY all that well and I am kinda geeking out. What do you plan to do next? I imagine it would be KH characters, considering KH3 is out and you have voiced your want for Sora, plus the Sora/Geno icon and all.
Glad you like it. I plan on doing Organization XIII next.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Glad you like it. I plan on doing Organization XIII next.
Cool! I imagine that will be a lot of fun, with all the different weapons the Organization uses.

You know, I just got a thought. If Sora was to become a playable character, I think it would be possible for him to have an alternate that is another character while also making in lore sense. I could be wrong though, and the likelihood they would go for it is low.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Cool! I imagine that will be a lot of fun, with all the different weapons the Organization uses.

You know, I just got a thought. If Sora was to become a playable character, I think it would be possible for him to have an alternate that is another character while also making in lore sense. I could be wrong though, and the likelihood they would go for it is low.
I like your idea. It could work with someone like Roxas or Xion, since they are Sora. I'd specially love if it was Xion, since I like her a lot, despite knowing that she's one of the worst characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I like your idea. It could work with someone like Roxas or Xion, since they are Sora. I'd specially love if it was Xion, since I like her a lot, despite knowing that she's one of the worst characters.
I like her as well, and in fact, she was the individual I was thinking of. While both her and Roxas are Sora, Roxas has branched out with his moveset and capabilities. When people think of Roxas, they don't think of the classic Kingdom Key, they think dual wielding Oathkeeper and Oblivion. Xion on the other hand has only ever wielded Kingdom Key, has the same abilities, similar proportions, the whole lot. Plus, Xion debuted on a Nintendo handheld, so it would be kinda fitting for her to be an alt in Smash Bros.
Also, how could you be mad at this cinnamon roll?

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I like her as well, and in fact, she was the individual I was thinking of. While both her and Roxas are Sora, Roxas has branched out with his moveset and capabilities. When people think of Roxas, they don't think of the classic Kingdom Key, they think dual wielding Oathkeeper and Oblivion. Xion on the other hand has only ever wielded Kingdom Key, has the same abilities, similar proportions, the whole lot. Plus, Xion debuted on a Nintendo handheld, so it would be kinda fitting for her to be an alt in Smash Bros.
Also, how could you be mad at this cinnamon roll?
Yep. I could see Xion working as either an alt or a direct Echo Fighter, while Roxas could either be a modified Echo Fighter, like Chrom, or just an entirely different character. I wish Xion got a better role in the story and was more important, I just love her a lot.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Might want to edit some things out there Masked, specifically at the end.

Edit:
Anyway, I have to ask you, what makes you think she is a bad character? Just because she has such limited appearances and her story has some major ret gone going on, that does not make her bad. Her very song can make even the most hardened KH fan weep, so she must be doing something right. The way I see it, she is like a great actor given a less major but still hard hitting role, and she pulled it off quite well. And heck, at least her ret gone was built off logic established in CoM amd not pulled out of nowhere or relating to time travel. Xion is a fine character.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I know I say this a lot, but I really wish Neku got more spotlight. It's understandably hard since he's only been in like 1.5 games (Final Remix included) but I still believe he'd fit right in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know I say this a lot, but I really wish Neku got more spotlight. It's understandably hard since he's only been in like 1.5 games (Final Remix included) but I still believe he'd fit right in.
Neku and Chrono got pretty screwed in the grand scheme of SE properties.
Parasite Eve too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I did it I guess? What did I need to change though?
You did what I was insinuating, it's all good. Oh, and just in case you might miss this...
Edit:
Anyway, I have to ask you, what makes you think she is a bad character? Just because she has such limited appearances and her story has some major ret gone going on, that does not make her bad. Her very song can make even the most hardened KH fan weep, so she must be doing something right. The way I see it, she is like a great actor given a less major but still hard hitting role, and she pulled it off quite well. And heck, at least her ret gone was built off logic established in CoM amd not pulled out of nowhere or relating to time travel. Xion is a fine character.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Are we counting his appearance in Dream Drop Distance?

Because he was technically there. He didn't do all too much, but he was there.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Corrin and Erdrick's case couldn't be more different though.

The only thing in common is that a very few people in the west knew them.

Corrin = 6th character from the same series.
Erdrick = First timer.

Corrin = Meant to advertise new game.
Erdrick = Retro character from 8-bit games.

Corrin = 1st/2nd party
Erdrick = 3rd party

People are going to warm up to Erdrick waaaay faster, if he got in, than Corrin.
And I'm not just saying that because I'm a big fan of one and just started to hate the other one less.

But if there's one thing I take away from this is that it's kind of sad that people hate character inclusions that they don't know about. Which is why when PP was announced everyone was so unrealistically happy.. As long as they know the character, people today don't care if they get a mook. (Or hey, maybe people actually wanted a mook?)

In the Brawl days, so many people, myself included, met Geno for they first time, and thought "hey, he could be neat!".
.....on what authority do you have to speak for people warming up to him faster than Corrin? At least Corrin didn't have several highly coveted competitors in place for their spot. Erdrick is the black horse pick, fan or no fan.

D

Deleted member

Who's that supposed to be another leaker?
Reddit user that leaked Incineroar and Ken around September, mentioned the Plant as well. Funny thing, it seems his comments were deleted now.

Apart from the fire, Noatesty also got wrong regarding additional modes I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
.....and Corrin wasn't liked either lmfao. You kind of proved my point.
Erdrick is at least from a new series, so there wouldn't be any "ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER?!" drama. Typical swordfighter/"literally who" whining sure, but it's not like that matters.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Erdrick is at least from a new series, so there wouldn't be any "ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER?!" drama. Typical swordfighter/"literally who" whining sure, but it's not like that matters.
He's also quote unquote "stealing" the roster slot from the likes of Geno AND Sora. Even taking Geno out of the equation; Sora fan's are far bigger and vocal than K. Rool's base ever was. The uproar will be Corrin levels; imho.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He's also quote unquote "stealing" the roster slot from the likes of Geno AND Sora. Even taking Geno out of the equation; Sora fan's are far bigger and vocal than K. Rool's base ever was. The uproar will be Corrin levels; imho.
Yeah, okay, Smash fandom can be babies about stuff, that isn't exactly flash news.

Also, I've yet to see Sora fans making a huge deal out of other characters' inclusion, probably because they know his chances aren't that high.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yeah, okay, Smash fandom can be babies about stuff, that isn't exactly flash news.

Also, I've yet to see Sora fans making a huge deal out of other characters' inclusion, probably because they know his chances aren't that high.
Sora fan's are rather cocky rn; from what I've seen. I think if the spot was "stolen" by a "literally who" there will be a fair amount of outrage.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
>omg stop saying anything that might be even a slight knock on Geno's fans
>lol Sora's fans are cocky

preemptively apologizing for the regular geno bad-fan giving us a bad name again, y'all

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

preemptively apologizing for the regular geno bad-fan giving us a bad name again, y'all
Yo; it ain't bad mouthing, I'd actally like to see Sora get in. It's just the attitude I've seen on Youtube and Twitter has been overwhelmingly "YO, it's gotta be Sora, he's in fam!". As someone who believed the Grinch Leak; I can tell what confidence followed by crushing disappointment makes you feel like.

D

Deleted member

Sorry you have to do this mate, at this point it doesnt come as a surprise from our "optimistic" friendo.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I mean; I feel like I'm presenting a fairly level headed perspective here. I'm certainly not making any self righteous claims. Regardless; I'll still attempt to have a civil conversation with you guys.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean; I feel like I'm presenting a fairly level headed perspective here. I'm certainly not making any self righteous claims. Regardless; I'll still attempt to have a civil conversation with you guys.
Okay, but "this character will probably get a ton of hate" isn't a very constructive argument.

ZelDan

Smash Master
At this point I think most characters will get hate if they are revealed.

Sans would get hate from people who are tired of Undertale memes
Any indie inclusion would make other indie fans mad
Geno or Banjo would get alot of hate from zoomers or people who just didn't play SMRPG or the banjo games
A tales character would likley get "GENERIC ANIME SWORDSMAN" tossed at them like Erdrick
bayonetta got hate due to being the last reveal for Smash 4 (and eventually for being stupid broken in Smash 4 but that's beside the point)
Cloud got hate because he didn't have a mahor Nintendo presence at the time of his reveal, just some spin-off stuff
K Rool probably got some hate because MUH RELEVANCY

etc etc etc

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I don't see this hate either. Sounds like hyperbole to me. Erdrick at best will get a "who?" reaction from a bunch of people.

The hate was against FE, not sword users in general. There's a severe minority that doesn't like "anime sword users", yes. The minority that dislikes the high amount of FE is actually bigger than that. The issue doesn't honestly exist. Plus, anyone causing that much trouble is the problem, not the character. Mind you, I don't believe Erdrick is a guarantee, but I don't think he'd sell badly either. I can understand if they used a more worldwide option, as they haven't shown anything to imply they're grabbing a single character for advertising(Corrin was partially about this), meaning there's a lot of potential choices. Ones like Slime or Sora, or even Sephiroth, are very well known worldwide and could easily fit that factor and be the specific character. Though Brave, if it's meant to be them, doesn't tie well to Sephiroth. The rest well enough(if Jack is meant to tie to Joker, as there's more than one way it can reference the character. That means that Brave can be used multiple ways too).

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Sans would get hate from people who are tired of Undertale memes
Wouldn't blame anyone for it (no disrespect to Sans fans intended).
Any indie inclusion would make other indie fans mad
Only raging Shantae and Shovel Knight fans ever acted like that.
Geno or Banjo would get alot of hate from zoomers or people who just didn't play SMRPG or the banjo games
I've grown bitter of both characters for my own reasons, not because I didn't play their games (played Geno's but Banjo doesn't interest me in the slightest).
K Rool probably got some hate because MUH RELEVANCY
No one takes those relevancy nutjobs seriously. Not when K. Rool's fans sent a thank you letter to Nintendo and Sakurai.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Wouldn't blame anyone for it (no disrespect to Sans fans intended).

Only raging Shantae and Shovel Knight fans ever acted like that.

I've grown bitter of both characters for my own reasons, not because I didn't play their games (played Geno's but Banjo doesn't interest me in the slightest).

No one takes those relevancy nutjobs seriously. Not when K. Rool's fans sent a thank you letter to Nintendo and Sakurai.
I was just amking a point that any character will get hate, whether for good or bad reasons or whether said hate is taken seriously.

though now that I think about it I can't think of any indie fans that would get mad or got mad outside of the Shovel Knight and Shantae ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was just amking a point that any character will get hate, whether for good or bad reasons or whether said hate is taken seriously.

though now that I think about it I can't think of any indie fans that would get mad or got mad outside of the Shovel Knight and Shantae ones.
Making terrible and untrue examples doesn't really make an actual point.

Yes, some give hate. But all of these are wrong.

I can't think of any Indie fans that will be mad. They're just glad their character got such neat roles. Every fanbase alone has horrid members to begin with. They're a severe minority that can be ignored(or reported on here if they cause trouble).

The issue just doesn't really exist. It might be better to just not worry about it, really.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Corrin had mixed Reception, but you guys seem to forget that every other Smash 4 newcomer was received rather warmly. Yes, no newcomer ever would please everyone, but hate was pretty minor for all of them (even Bayo, who's haters came after she was released and found to be broken). Even Plant's naysayers calmed down after a couple of days. Sure, Eddy COULD be hated, but I honestly think that anything short of another FE character/Pokemon will also be happily taken in after 48 hours.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, Corrin had mixed Reception, but you guys seem to forget that every other Smash 4 newcomer was received rather warmly. Yes, no newcomer ever would please everyone, but hate was pretty minor for all of them (even Bayo, who's haters came after she was released and found to be broken). Even Plant's naysayers calmed down after a couple of days. Sure, Eddy COULD be hated, but I honestly think that anything short of another FE character/Pokemon will also be happily taken in after 48 hours.
I wouldn't say all of them (:ultwiifittrainer::ultdarkpit: comes to mind) and even popular characters like :ultlucina::ultcloud: got some hate due to circumstances, but yeah, haters generally overrate their number and influence on the character picks.

Look how popular Isabelle, PP and Incineroar are, especially among more casual fans.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I wouldn't say all of them (:ultwiifittrainer::ultdarkpit: comes to mind) and even popular characters like :ultlucina::ultcloud: got some hate due to circumstances, but yeah, haters generally overrate their number and influence on the character picks.

Look how popular Isabelle, PP and Incineroar are, especially among more casual fans.
To be quite honest Lucina's inclusion was more polarizing because of her getting as a clone while Chrom got shafted (Palutena's Guidance not helping at all). And on Cloud, well, purists will be purists, people that can come to be very egotistical about their tastes on character wishes and their ideals on what Smash is; it's not like things have gone any better for them with the Belmonts, Ken and (specially) Joker.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I dunno, we’re in a thread with tons of Geno & Sora fans and I don’t see anyone complaining about Erdrick stealing their slot.

Plus I don’t really think anyone can argue against DQ’s pedigree. People usually hate on characters when they see no reason for their inclusion, and Erdrick doesn’t have that problem.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Most of the hate i've seen towards erdrick comes from people who're having their own problems and put a lot into getting their own characters into smash,to the point of judging characters thought to take a spot.

They try to justify it in different ways, and finding reasons to not like them or thinking about 'not deserving' the spot. DQ is a pretty big franchise, more than a lot of other games that can be in smash, and yet then they might focus on how it's mostly big in japan, ignoring the rest of the success as well as forgetting that being big in japan counts a lot, for quite a few reasons.

Then Erdrick itself isn't a nobody if you're a fan of dragon quest, or it doesn't take much info to see how important the character is, so people hating stick to their own impression of it, including about being a nobody and fuel with their frustrations of not having enough of the characters they wanted. And really the extreme part about it is just coming from feeling unfulfilled, which isn't surprising with how things are with some people. I mean, I'm looking for satisfaction too. Anyway, maybe i went a bit far there, oh well ..

Last edited:
Top Bottom