• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Lol just ****ing mute him guys he's the only user I have muted on here and y'all know how strict I am about that
Anyway

So um here's a thought.
Each character is going to have a classic mode tailored to some sort of theme for them.
What themes and opponents would you expect for the Square 7?
Geno's theme is. god im too tired to even make a joke this is good idea though good psot.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Lol just ****ing mute him guys he's the only user I have muted on here and y'all know how strict I am about that
Anyway

Geno's theme is. god im too tired to even make a joke this is good idea though good psot.
Anyway

Bye Bye for now! You probably won't have to deal with Until the rest of the DLC is revealed!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So here’s how DLC went for me. Both reactions and ratings.

:ultmewtwo:: Ok.
:ultlucas:: Ok.
:ultroy:: MY BOY!
:ultryu:: I’m interested.
:ultcloud:: Who’s Cloud? Oh wait, you’re from FF7! That’s pretty dope.
:ultcorrin:: You look like you’re from FE. You are? Damn... You look cool though.
:ultbayonetta:: How did you win the ballot?

:ultpiranha:: Why... I refuse to accept your existence. I thought it was going to be Geno.

Joker: My fingers are shaking... MUST... TELL... TEHPONYCORN!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sephiroth's Classic Mode should end with facing Cloud, but not sure how to make him even stronger for the purpose of being a boss... maybe always has max limit for the challenge?

D

Deleted member

Sephiroth's Classic Mode should end with facing Cloud, but not sure how to make him even stronger for the purpose of being a boss... maybe always has max limit for the challenge?
You get 1 HP and Cloud starts with a final smash

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Guess I'll post my reactions to all the DLC thus far too

:ultmewtwo: : ****ing finally! Never should have been cut from Brawl

:ultlucas: : Holy christ, unexpected and truly came from outta nowhere. Of all the cut characters, I didn't expect him to come next

:ultroy: & :ultryu: : Leaks were correct, but exciting nonetheless!

:ultcloud: : **** is this? Space? Is it Wolf? (was at work and watched it on my phone with no sound). Once I saw the FF7 logo it went "Oh ****, it finally happened" (Earlier that day I was arguing with a guy about how Sora and Cloud were not going to be revealed that day, just to put that extra irony on top)

:ultcorrin: : ****. Not another FE character.

:ultbayonetta: : Same deal as before, watching at work with no sound. This Medusa? Hades? Viridi? *cue Bayonetta* "Oh damn, they really did go for it!"

:ultpiranha: : "**** is this? This an item? AT? *cue tagline* *me laughing my ass off*

Joker: *Lights go off at the VGA and Joker starts talking* "WHAT THE ****?! *Hands thrust upon my face* Man! What P5 project is this gonna be?" *cue the Smash invitation* "WHAT THE ****ING ****!?" *tosses arms up happily* I expected a Sega/Atlus rep reveal much later and the trailer being for Smash is what surprised me more than Joker's inclusion in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Lucas was by far my favorite Smash 4 DLC character and still is my favorite Smash DLC character overall, and Piranha Plant is my least favorite.

2nd favorite is Roy, 3rd favorite is Mewtwo, 4th favorite is Ryu, 5th favorite is Cloud, 6th favorite is Joker, 7th favorite is Bayonetta, and 8th favorite is Corrin.

For a Geno classic mode (in no particular order):
Pit for Bowyer
King Dedede for Smithy
Kirby for Mallow
Yoshi for Boshi
Wario for Booster
Ganondorf for Culex
and King K Rool for Croco

D

Deleted member

You get 1 HP and Cloud starts with a final smash
That would be one of the most bull**** things I have heard for a battle, I love it. I can see it as a spirit battle at least.
You could put a few characters that represent the FF cast before facing Cloud. (i.e. Duck Hunt for Red XIII, Snake for Cid, white Incineroar for Caith Sith, Zelda as Aeris, fem Corrin as Yuffie, Megaman as Barret)

His story mode could have battles representing characters within the FFVII universe like Black Suited Mii's horde battles for the Turks. Rathalos, Ganon or Galleem as a sub-boss to represent Midgar Zolom or one of the Weapons. Wario as the Shinra president (Rufus father)...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So um here's a thought.
Each character is going to have a classic mode tailored to some sort of theme for them.
What themes and opponents would you expect for the Square 7?
The only one I've put any thought to was Erdrick and the Classic mode Idea I came up with was "Role Playing Legacy" in which he fights all of the RPG characters in the game.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Since everyone else is doing it:

:ultmewtwo:: HYPED
:ultlucas:: Knew Mewtwo wasn’t the only one coming.
:ultroy:: OK. Not the biggest fan of Roy.
:ultryu:: Interesting
:ultcloud:: ... WHAT. THE. ****.
:ultbayonetta:: Wow. I didn’t think they would actually do it.
:ultcorrin:: Another FE character... but I’m a sucker for dragons, so...
:ultpiranha:: ... ... I’m gonna main this Plant.
Joker: You’ll never see it COMIN’ !!

Also, I’m probably gonna post here less often until we get some substantial info.

Since we don’t have much new info to discuss (for now), I’m gonna start speculating on the roster for Granblue Fantasy Versus.

Another fighting game in 2019 that has... little to no info on the roster (or the game mechanics themselves). And we won’t get any new info until... early March.

It never ends does it?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Since we don’t have much new info to discuss (for now), I’m gonna start speculating on the roster for Granblue Fantasy Versus.

Another fighting game in 2019 that has... little to no info on the roster (or the game mechanics themselves). And we won’t get any new info until... early March.
Not gonna lie. I'm not a fan of Granblue, but I am a huge ASW fan. I literally cannot wait for that game. The roster means very little to me since I don't even know any Granblue characters though but my god did it look good.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not gonna lie. I'm not a fan of Granblue, but I am a huge ASW fan. I literally cannot wait for that game. The roster means very little to me since I don't even know any Granblue characters though but my god did it look good.
Same.
God do I not like gacha.
But that game looks beautiful.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I definitely agree with you there.

The fact that ASW has made fighting games of 2 of my favorite franchises (Dragon Ball and Granblue) has made them one of my all time favorite developers.

They not only create fantastic visuals, but they managed to make me like the fighting game mechanics themselves.

I enjoy Fighterz as a fighting game as much, if not more than, a Dragon Ball game.

I can’t wait to see what they do with Granblue.

Although I wish they didn’t wait so long to release new info when the game is supposed to come out this year.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I get we've heard him the most, but honestly, something about Erdrick just isn't sitting right with me.

I just don't understand why they would go for Erdrick when we could get Slime, someone who even people outside of Japan would recognize. Especially with Sakurai's seemingly new design philosophy. He cut down on sword characters this time to just Chrom, someone with massive support, and to skip out on Slime, a far more recognizable and unique fighter, for Erdrick? It seems... off putting. The thing even got its own spin off game to draw even more inspiration from.

It doesn't help that the height stats on Brave put him at a disadvantage, seeing as how the design they would be using was only used in Japan for the Famicom release of DQ3, and wasn't even used in other territories. The other design isn't even "modern" it's been around since the same time, and Japan started using that one too as early as the SNES remake of DQ3. Again, height is probably subject to change seeing as how Joker is 5'9 in his own game and is currently the size of Young Link.

I do believe DQ could be in this game (not IS for sure, just that it could be) but something about Erdrick in particular just seems to lack decent reasoning. I get he's the hero of the series, but Pikachu is far more recognizable than the average Joe Pokemon Trainer, which is why we got him 3 games later. I feel like the same would be applicable to DQ, especially because a lot more people over here will know who Slime is and be like "oh yeah that's the dragon quest dude" where as they look at Erdrick and think "uhhh goku". I guess Jack Frost kinda puts a dent into that argument because Joker got picked, but I really have no idea.

Also, hearing him the most already sounds somewhat sketchy from Squenix in particular. Like, considering how much they wanna crack down on leakers, believing in the one we heard the most from presumably lower level employees who talk to leakers sound kinda weird. It's not impossible, but reverse psychology is starting kick in on that one for me.

If a DQ fan sees more reasoning for Erdrick, then go please enlighten me. My interest in DQ is like less than 0, but I've tried doing some research and the results I've found are a bit polarizing. Again, totally open for someone clearing this up if they can.

D

Deleted member

I get we've heard him the most, but honestly, something about Erdrick just isn't sitting right with me.

I just don't understand why they would go for Erdrick when we could get Slime, someone who even people outside of Japan would recognize. Especially with Sakurai's seemingly new design philosophy. He cut down on sword characters this time to just Chrom, someone with massive support, and to skip out on Slime, a far more recognizable and unique fighter, for Erdrick? It seems... off putting. The thing even got its own spin off game to draw even more inspiration from.

It doesn't help that the height stats on Brave put him at a disadvantage, seeing as how the design they would be using was only used in Japan for the Famicom release of DQ3, and wasn't even used in other territories. The other design isn't even "modern" it's been around since the same time, and Japan started using that one too as early as the SNES remake of DQ3. Again, height is probably subject to change seeing as how Joker is 5'9 in his own game and is currently the size of Young Link.

I do believe DQ could be in this game (not IS for sure, just that it could be) but something about Erdrick in particular just seems to lack decent reasoning. I get he's the hero of the series, but Pikachu is far more recognizable than the average Joe Pokemon Trainer, which is why we got him 3 games later. I feel like the same would be applicable to DQ, especially because a lot more people over here will know who Slime is and be like "oh yeah that's the dragon quest dude" where as they look at Erdrick and think "uhhh goku". I guess Jack Frost kinda puts a dent into that argument because Joker got picked, but I really have no idea.

Also, hearing him the most already sounds somewhat sketchy from Squenix in particular. Like, considering how much they wanna crack down on leakers, believing in the one we heard the most from presumably lower level employees who talk to leakers sound kinda weird. It's not impossible, but reverse psychology is starting kick in on that one for me.

If a DQ fan sees more reasoning for Erdrick, then go please enlighten me. My interest in DQ is like less than 0, but I've tried doing some research and the results I've found are a bit polarizing. Again, totally open for someone clearing this up if they can.
This angle does make a lot of sense but if we can take anything about Cloud and Joker, they seem to be aiming to represent the most popular game in their respective series rather than their series as a whole. And DQ3 is by far the most popular game in the series... domestically anyways, but still. And the "cut down on swordfighters" thing probably doesn't apply to Erdrick nearly as much since swords are one of many things he can use for attacking. He can use a bunch of different weapon types plus magic.

And the whole SE leakbait thing, remember that these can easily be coming from Nintendo or Bamco. But, I'm not sure of all the details myself, other than that Polar's circle is leaning towards him and that Tansut seems completely confident in him. Who else that's noteworthy has been saying Erdrick?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
:ultmewtwo: - Shrugs. Neat that he is back and glad for the fans I guess
:ultlucas:- Same as Mewtwo
:ultroy: - Same as Mewtwo and Lucas
:ultryu: - Ohhh nice.
:ultcorrin::ultcorrinf: - While I was disappointed that it wasn't someone like Lyn, Hector or Black Knight at first, I'm more soft towards Corrin since it's one of the more unique FE characters.
:ultbayonetta: - Wow... I guess Nintendo doesn't care if the character is kid friendly anymore.
:ultcloud:- Lost for words but extremely happy non the less. Never thought that would happen.
:ultpiranha: - Laughed out loud when I realized that the Plant would join. I was wondering were the WTF newcomer for this roster were located.
Joker > Honestly, sort of the same reaction as the first three since I haven't played the game.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA7dJrc6i_k

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just feel like responding to this. DQ isn't about the monsters, unlike Pokemon. Pikachu over the Trainer makes sense since the game itself puts far more emphasis on the monsters than the characters themselves. While Slime is iconic, It's still in a similar boat as Chocobos or Moogles are to FF rather than a Pikachu.

And the whole SE leakbait thing, remember that these can easily be coming from Nintendo or Bamco. But, I'm not sure of all the details myself, other than that Polar's circle is leaning towards him and that Tansut seems completely confident in him. Who else that's noteworthy has been saying Erdrick?
Leak bait only makes sense when it's confined (much like Million Arthur seems to have been from Vergeben's list). IMO, Erdrick is far too broad to be leakbait, unless literally everyone got that info from the same batch of people who happen to be in that information net.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
This angle does make a lot of sense but if we can take anything about Cloud and Joker, they seem to be aiming to represent the most popular game in their respective series rather than their series as a whole. And DQ3 is by far the most popular game in the series... domestically anyways, but still. And the "cut down on swordfighters" thing probably doesn't apply to Erdrick nearly as much since swords are one of many things he can use for attacking. He can use a bunch of different weapon types plus magic.

Hmmmm, I guess that point is far but just based on the angle DQ is at, I feel like Squenix would recognize that nobody outside of Japan really knows Erdrick.

Also, Erdrick is gonna use his sword. This is the same game that took 18 years to give dorf a sword, they're gonna use whatever he's seen with in his artwork and his primary weapon. Doubt we'll see the whips or sickles or whatever else he has.

The rumors are from Square as far as I know. I remember hearing it was split up, and Nintendo employees heard a lot of Geno at the time, Square employees heard Erdrick a lot. Also, Verge specifically mentioned people were fired from the leaks, which leads me very much to believe it is in fact Square.

Nobody else really credible has been saying Erdrick, but Hitagi and Xenother have and eughhhhhhhh yeah not gonna take their word for anything as of now.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My DLC Luck hasn't been the best so let's open some old wounds~!

:ultmewtwo: I always thought of him as one of the less interesting Pokemon to play as. Probably because he wasn't that good in Melee. Pretty lukewarm about the idea of a 'free' dlc character technically costing $100 since you could only get him for free if you bought the game twice. 3/10
:ultlucas: Lucas is fine but I feel like that was another safe pick 4/10
:ultroy: At this point, I was expecting the whole roster to return. Also more Fire Emblem 2/10
:ultryu: A new character. Good news! Has true inputs as a part of the character. Even better news! It was all down hill from here. 7/10
:ultcloud: I am not going to lie. This one initially hurt. I figured this was Square Enix slapping me in the face. I was on board with the rumor that Sakurai was denied Geno by them in Brawl (this has been proven false as there has never been a 3rd character denied before) This was also where I was already upset at not seeing Geno at the least make a cameo or appearance in Fortune Street or Mario Sports Mix. Two games worked on by Square where they had an endless amount of their other characters making it in. So I was pretty bitter about it. Also more anime swords. However as I had a chance to finally play as the character, he felt really neat design wise and my opinion of him was changing for the better due to a more possible chance for Geno to arrive in the future. (When I mean the future, I have no idea at this point) Initial reaction: KMS/10; Overall: 8/10
:ultcorrin: Probably the worst Smash Bros character reveal/selected character in the history of the game. Only in for marketing. It also doesn't help that this was more Fire Emblem which was getting to be an already overrepresented series. 1/10
:ultbayonetta: My entire fighter concept for Wonder Red was slapped on Bayonetta. (Down Special, Up Special, F-Smash etc) I was never a fan of those over sexualized personalities either. Smash 4 already felt too anime at this point. 3/10
:ultpiranha: I like seeing new Mario characters. And a surprising one at that. However, this marked the end of Geno only added to a disaster of a final Smash Direct for Ultimate. 6/10

Based on the remaining SE characters, this is how I would I feel about each of them.

Geno: 9999/10 (Most wanted of all time)
Erdrick: 7/10
Slime: 4/10
Sephiroth: 5/10
Crono: 8/10
Luminary: 6/10
Sora: -∞/10 (There isn't a single character on God's green earth who I want less than Sora)

Other SE possibilities:
Chocobo: 10/10 (Second most wanted)
Black Mage: 9/10
Another FE character: 6/10
Any other DQ character: 5/10
Randi: 5/10
Lara Croft: 3/10
Gex: 1/10
Bub and Bob: 9/10
Cooking Mama: 9/10
Bravely Default character: 3/10
'Your Excellency' Girl from Octopath Traveler: 0/10
Any other Octopath Traveler character: 3/10

Last edited:

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet

:ultmewtwo: I always thought of him as one of the less interesting Pokemon to play as. Probably because he wasn't that good in Melee. Pretty lukewarm about the idea of a 'free' dlc character technically costing $100 since you could only get him for free if you bought the game twice. 3/10
:ultroy: At this point, I was expecting the whole roster to return. Also more Fire Emblem 2/10
:ultryu: A new character. Good news! Has true inputs as a part of the character. Even better news! It was all down hill from here. 7/10
:ultcloud: I am not going to lie. This one initially hurt. I figured this was Square Enix slapping me in the face. I was on board with the rumor that Sakurai was denied Geno by them in Brawl (this has been proven false as there has never been a 3rd character denied before) This was also where I was already upset at not seeing Geno at the least make a cameo or appearance in Fortune Street or Mario Sports Mix. Two games worked on by Square where they had an endless amount of their other characters making it in. So I was pretty bitter about it. Also more anime swords. However as I had a chance to finally play as the character, he felt really neat design wise and my opinion of him was changing for the better due to a more possible chance for Geno to arrive in the future. (When I mean the future, I have no idea at this point) Initial reaction: KMS/10; Overall: 8/10
:ultcorrin: Probably the worst Smash Bros character reveal/selected character in the history of the game. Only in for marketing. It also doesn't help that this was more Fire Emblem which was getting to be an already overrepresented series. 1/10
:ultbayonetta: My entire fighter concept for Wonder Red was slapped on Bayonetta. (Down Special, Up Special, F-Smash etc) I was never a fan of those over sexualized personalities either. Smash 4 already felt too anime at this point. 3/10
:ultpiranha: I like seeing new Mario characters. And a surprising one at that. However, this marked the end of Geno only added to a disaster of a final Smash Direct for Ultimate. 6/10

Based on the remaining SE characters, this is how I would I feel about each of them.

Sora: -∞/10 (There isn't a single character on God's green earth who I want less than Sora)

Other SE possibilities:
Why you do my boy Sora like that now?

D

Deleted member

Other SE possibilities:
Ouch. that Sora Shade tho, Hurts man. Though I agree Cooking Mama would be cool.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Why you do my boy Sora like that now?
Ouch. that Sora Shade tho, Hurts man. Though I agree Cooking Mama would be cool.
A few reasons really boil down to having infuriating experiences with Sora 4 Smash community during Smash 4 days. They resented Geno. It sounds like a bit of a petty reason (which arguably it is) but it never left a good impression for me to actually feel good if the character gets in.

I am also on the bandwagon that fears Disney's involvement with this game. Not that I expect it to be much but I can really just imagine them getting a say in how Smash carries itself out and the potential of a DBFZ scenario. The last reason is I am more bias towards characters that feel like a part of Nintendo. It adds into my disappointment over Cloud because he felt like the first non Nintendo property getting in. Everyone else has had some kind of legacy with Nintendo's history. So when I compare Sora to Geno or Erdrick or even someone like Randi, I would most definitely want them in the game. Although things have changed now, I still want this game to be as pure of a Nintendo experience as possible.

While I don't have many good reasons why I don't want Sora in the game, I always viewed him as my for sure least wanted. I just don't have a good answer why.

Last edited:
I don't have anything to add to the speculation rn but since we still have an active SE thread, i'll take the opportunity to share some more music:

*There's timestamps for each song in the description of the video.

Balance and Ruin is an awesome album of remixes inspired by the FF6 OST. A lot of artists have worked on the project so the range of genres is pretty wide (i'd say it's mostly orchestral and electronic, with a bit of jazz and a pinch of metal. There's even an opera song, if you played FFVI, you know the one ;)).

The album has been put together by OverClocked ReMix. They also worked on other similar projects like Chrono Symphonic, Secret of Mana: Resonance of the Pure Land, FFIV: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption etc. (there's 127 albums on the OCR website, all downloadable for free).

I've been listening to their albums for years so i feel like sharing their work is one way to repay for all those hours of great music.

I hope you'll enjoy as much as i do.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Did some Classic routes for my 3 most wanted of the Square 7. I'm only working with what we know and won't include stages and characters we don't currently have.

Geno: Repairing the Star Road
Each stage represents a location a Star Piece was found.​

Stage 1: Joker on Princess Peach's Castle
We don't know for sure yet but I think Joker will have his knife.​
Stage 2: Dark Pit on Dream Land
Closest thing we have to a forest that isn't a jungle, ironically Reset Bomb Forest doesn't fit aesthetically in either of its two forms.​
Stage 3: Snake on Great Cave Offensive
Thought about the Links but went with Snake since he's more about explosives than they are.​
Stage 4: Yoshi Team on Mario Galaxy
The Gecko enemies of Star Hill. Fairly easy, like how the location has no boss in the original game.​
Stage 5: Corrin on Tortimer Island
Fight a spear user on a seaside town.​
Stage 6: Simon x5 on Halberd. Assisted by Mario and Peach.
All 5 are color coded the closest they can get to Red, Yellow, Green, Pink, and Black.​
Bonus Stage
Boss Stage: Giant King Dedede on the Omega form of Wrecking Crew, then Master Hand on Final Destination
I looked over our current cast for anyone who creates weapons, none of them do so I went with a hammer user. The two stages represent both parts of the Smithy fight.​

Erdrick: The Legendary Hero
Erdrick fights characters whose actions are spoken of in legends, or are described as "legendary".​

Stage 1: Young Link and Ganondorf on Hyrule Castle. Assisted by Toon Link.
Link from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker grew up hearing about the Hero of Time, and also has to fight the Ganondorf from the same time period, who was the reason the goddesses flooded Hyrule in the present.​
Stage 2: Marth and Ike on Castle Siege. Assisted by Lucina.
Marth is known throughout the Fire Emblem series as the legendary Hero-King. Ike is similarly famous as the Radiant Hero of legend. Marth is a legendary figure in Fire Emblem: Awakening's present and doomed future, who Lucina names her disguise after.​
Stage 3: Snake on Shadow Moses Island
The Legendary Mercenary is also a legacy character, with the title of Snake being handed down to different people.​
Stage 4: Mega Man on Wily Castle
The title of "Mega Man" is similarly passed down and / or given to new robots. His final Smash is also called "Mega Legends" and summons 4 of his successors.​
Stage 5: Mewtwo on Pokémon Stadium
The only playable Legendary Pokémon.​
Stage 6: Erdrick on Battlefield
This Erdrick has the opposite gender of the one you chose. I'm sure a DQ stage would come with Erdrick but I dunno for sure so I defaulted to Battlefield.​
Bonus Stage
Boss Stage: Dracula
I thought about making the fight reference Baramos and Zoma with other characters, but I decided I wanted a boss as a legendary figure instead, and Dracula's the one with the most clout behind him. Dracula pulls double duty as the Dragon Quest staple of "final boss with multiple forms" like the Dragonlord, and hating light like Zoma does.​

Crono: To Far Away Times
Each stage represents a different time period, as well as the party members associated with them.​

Stage 1: Purple Inkling and Yellow Lucina on Smashville. Assisted by Crono.
The Millenium Fair and 1000 AD. K. K. Slider plays here no matter what day or time it is. Purple Inkling is Lucca who attacks with guns, and Lucina is in her Lissa color, being a nice princess who knows how to fight.​
Stage 2: Green Greninja on Hyrule Castle
Guardia Castle and 600 AD. Greninja already has water swords (well, they're kunai now) so he fits Frog to a tee.​
Stage 3: Yellow R.O.B. on Midgar
The ruined future of 2300 AD.​
Stage 4: Crono on Final Destination
The End of Time. No party members are recruited here so Crono is fought here in a ditto match.​
Stage 5: Purple Peach on Kongo Jungle
This stage has 65,000,000 BC's general jungle aesthetic. Peach was chosen since she's the most physical of the female fighters that doesn't use a weapon.​
Stage 6: Dark Pit on Fountain of Dreams
The Ocean Palace of 12,000 BC. Fountain of Dreams was chosen since it has a magical air about it compared to other water themed stages.​
Bonus Stage
Boss Stage: Master Hand and Crazy Hand on the omega form of New Donk City
Represents the final boss at 1999 AD.​

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder if it's possible that the new Square rep brings more Final Fantasy music with them. Like, I doubt we're getting more spirits related to FF but if we were to get Erdrick or Geno I would like to see free music added to FF just for the sake. It'd be a nice touch.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
A few reasons really boil down to having infuriating experiences with Sora 4 Smash community during Smash 4 days. They resented Geno. It sounds like a bit of a petty reason (which arguably it is) but it never left a good impression for me to actually feel good if the character gets in.
Weird, during the smash 4 days I was a CLOUD fan and still a S-E nerd, and I remember clearly being the Geno part of the fanbase who started it all feeling threatened and threatening any other Square-Enix Related Characters beside Geno because of "MUH NINTENDO" link.
The Geno vs Sora "rivalry" started when GameXplain and multiple famous Smash/KH youtuber And competitive player were rallying to vote Sora. (Fun fact. Most Famous YouTuber and player still want Sora more to this days.)

I might be wrong for History. But as someone who didn't really cared about Sora for Smash 4. That's what I clearly remember. Not to start a war or anything.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
How have I not found this thread before now?

So much refined taste brought together into a beautiful melting pot.

So since I'm majorly out of the loop, is the general consensus still that our Square rep/Brave is Erdick, or...?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ehehehehe bandwagon time

Mewtwo: Glad to have him back, but was more interest din the fact that DLC was an option now
Lucas: See above, definitely felt like an odd exclusion at first

Roy: Was happy to see a Melee vet come back, but was fairly ambivalent on Roy himself

Ryu: I mean it was leaked, but I liked the way they handled his moveset and was happy about Ryu himself

Cloud: Wow, did not see that coming. Pretty goddamn cool.

Corrin: Just confused by the choice mostly, didn’t care about Corrin themselves even if I did know who they were prior to reveal.

Bayonetta: Didn’t see that coming. She was the ballot winner? Neat otherwise
Plant: His trailer made me laugh. Fairly neutral on him in-post but I don’t mind his inclusion. Can we get Dry Bones now though?

Joker: I mean, I missed his reveal because Geoff hates Brits. When I woke up and saw his trailer though, was surprised. Pretty ambivalent on him. Design is pretty cool though no homo.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
How have I not found this thread before now?

So much refined taste brought together into a beautiful melting pot.

So since I'm majorly out of the loop, is the general consensus still that our Square rep/Brave is Erdick, or...?
Hi there, welcome to the thread. :)
There has been a lot of discussion on who Brave is, currently, it appears that were split, half of us believe it's Erdrick, the other half think it's someone else. But we all are on friendly terms, so, no worries. Just discussion.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
JUst remember the "Rathalos picture is totally a hint to Isaac!" stuff that happened. Sometimes a picture is a picture and is not a direct reference to anything.
I think I made myself clear that it is not a basis for my expectation, specially considering other things I presented.
Also, sorry to break it to you, but the Isaac picture WAS a reference to Golden Sun. What you meant was that references don't confirm characters, which is true. But both that picture and the two that I showed regarding Seph ARE references. But I never said they confirm him.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Sometimes being a Geno or Sora supporter is suffering, people question my most wanted characters all the time just because they're unlikely. They call Sora a "generic swordfighter trying to be special" and Geno "a dumb puppet with no personality or importance". People have started judging me because of my avatar recently. I just wish I could like who I want without having to be judged by everyone.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Sometimes being a Geno or Sora supporter is suffering, people question my most wanted characters all the time just because they're unlikely. They call Sora a "generic swordfighter trying to be special" and Geno "a dumb puppet with no personality or importance". People have started judging me because of my avatar recently. I just wish I could like who I want without having to be judged by everyone.
Well, some may know my ideological stance here, so the best I can do for you is to reinforce a part of it.
What I mean is, you shouldn't give a damn about what others think about you or what you like. Be yourself and like whatever you like.
Other people's opinions about the characters don't change a thing about what you think about them, so why the hussle? Other people judging you for your taste, thoughts or opinions shouldn't be taken so seriously.
Also, ffs, you like characters that have a stupidly huge following here. Look at the freaking poll. It's not like you like a character that everyone discredits immediately or don't even take it seriously in a discussion.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, I ain't even a Sora fan myself, and I feel like his fans get unfairly trashed more often than not. C'mon, can't supporters of characters presumably 'in competition with one another' get along? I love Sora's fans, Erdrick's fans, Slime's fans, etc. I even like Luminary's fans even though boy really needs a shower. It's not hard to find some modicum of maturity and positivity in your heart.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Yeah, it's $6.75 for the costumes, yet if you add up the prices for the costumes separately, it's $6. A typo is one thing, but bad math that goes up to executive levels is another.

There's the obvious sign that it's a fake. That's your smoking gun.

EDIT: For those looking for the pricing on that post for proof (which this dude conveniently left out of the screenshot):

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/447473097/#447473097

Here's the thread archive. Note the .75 cents a Mii costume and the fact that there are eight, which equals $6... yet the bundle is $6.75, more expensive for no reason. Bam.
oh frick i was gonna bring that up

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Late on this, but DLC hype for me:
Mewtwo: Gen 1 again? To be fair, he is the most iconic behind Pikachu.
Lucas: MY BOIIIIIIIIIIIII LUCAS IS BACK IN SMASH BAYYYYYYBEEEEEEEEEEE!1!!1!1
Roy: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ryu: Leaked, but still decently hyped.
Cloud: WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF CLOUD :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Corrin: G E N E R I C A N I M E S W O R D F I G H T E R (cut me some slack, I was only like 12 or 13 at the time)
Bayonetta: bAYONETTA?!?!!
Piranha Plant: lma o
Joker: YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!1!!1!1 JOKER I'M IN SHOCK CALL AN AMBULANCE SKSJSKSJKJSKJSSKJSJKSJSKJ

Most to least hype reveals:
Joker
Lucas
Roy
Cloud
Bayonetta
Mewtwo
Piranha Plant
Ryu

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, I really hope it isn't Erdrick.

Not because Dragon Quest doesn't belong or because it's "too obscure", we all know that isn't the case, but for me, it would just be so frustrating for them to pull from the ONE Square Enix rep I have zero investment in.

More FF? Hell yeah. Sora? Would love em. Geno? Would literally die happy. Neku, Chrono, Laura, 2B, Hell yes, I've played so many Square IPs that I would love to see in Smash.

But Dragon Quest? ...I mean, I play a lot of Fortune Street with friends. :V

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not because Dragon Quest doesn't belong or because it's "too obscure", we all know that isn't the case, but for me, it would just be so frustrating for them to pull from the ONE Square Enix rep I have zero investment in.

More FF? Hell yeah. Sora? Would love em. Geno? Would literally die happy. Neku, Chrono, Laura, 2B, Hell yes, I've played so many Square IPs that I would love to see in Smash.

If he does make it (or even if he doesn't) I think it would be worth giving the series a look if you ever get the chance. Broadening your horizons in these times can't ever hurt lol

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Time to jump on the bandwagon.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy: It was cool to have them back
Ryu: The first DLC character I really got excited for, I'm a big Street Fighter fan so his reveal was pretty cool (I wish it didn't get leaked though)
Cloud: I actually lost my ****ing mind lmao
Corrin: The only DLC character that actually irked me
Bayonetta: Initially I was pretty disappointed, but she's cool so whatever
Piranha Plant: One of the hardest laughs I've ever laughed
Joker: I have no real attachment to Joker (aside from his OST lol), but I like his design and a friend I was watching the Game Awards with is a massive Persona fan so him having a breakdown was fun
I feel you, but don't let people get you down. If opinionated assholes on the Internet get upset because of what you want in a video game, then that's their problem.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I'm the complete opposite. Erdrick is the only SE character I want from this list, especially after having played DQXI

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I need P-Plant to hold me over until we get good smash info! :O

Smash is made in japan, and Erdrick is like the poster child for Dragon Quest there. But you're right that Slime would be more recognizable elsewhere, but they do care about their japanese fanbase, considering Fire Emblem was pretty much just japan at first. At least Dragon Quest is still popular in the world.

Erdrick looks a bit like goku, which will get a bit of attention, but if it's true that we're getting Luminary as a skin, then there's quite a bit of power there besides just DQ3 since DQ11 is selling well and coming to the switch.
Promoting DQ in the west even more is not a bad thing at all, and I don't think it's an argument against including a character. It'd definitely be a good decision.

Also, Erdrick is pretty much a retro character, and we know how much nintendo is catering to those this time. He's the main hero of the first trilogy, even if he's only the main character of DQ3. Dragon Warrior (DQ1) was very popular in the west too for the NES, and it's decently tied to Erdrick. Erdrick is pretty much the ancestor of most the other heroes.

There was also an anime based around DQ3, though the hero was named Abel. They only dubbed 13 episodes in english, but some people might still remember watching it as kids. It really looks like goku again :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom