• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would say that Sora's the most riskiest choice between the Square canididates. He would be another miracle get character, like how Cloud was for Smash 4 and in a way Joker! The stats does fits his playstyle like how most people would expect for him to play in Smash. He would also be another promotional character. If Joker even is one like we all think Persona 5 would come eventually to the Switch. Sora could offer a potential Kingdom Hearts collection like they did with Final Fantasy and a possible KH 3 port for the Switch.
Both Persona 5 and KH3 are coming to the swtich :)
I wouldn't mind collections of both on it to otho :O
What about a Shin Megami Tensei collection too, that'd be nice.

D

Deleted member

I feel that a Palico would fit a bit better those stats for a MH rep, based on height but the no crouch walk is a bit weird.

Main two issues with Banjo I have are actually height and no peach-like float.

He is small compared to other characters in his world, but scalewise a lot of the smash characters (including DK and Diddy) are also small in their games worlds (the Kongs are quite small in DK64). I am doubtful that with his proportions he would end up being almost Diddy size or Ness size, and would imagine him being around or bit taller than Mario's height.

The peach-like float if I recall correctly, is a movement you have in the games. Banjo doesnt really have a double jump, but rather Kazooie keeps him floating on the air for a bit when you press jump again. Which makes me think its weird that he wouldn't have something like that.
People have considered his appearance in Diddy Kong Racing to be a counter to the height dilemma, which could go into gameplay. I imagine he would end up similar to a brawler class like Mario or Diddy if put into the game. Banjo is deliberately designed to be small relative to the larger world and character in his games. As someone who has to longjump to reach a chair in a mansion, Banjo could be relatively small to the cast. It's not like he himself needs to be as big as a human or Donkey Kong. I think what would make Banjo's height concerns easier to digest is Kazooie. Kazooie occasionally popping out of the backpack harmlessly would make the duo look bigger than the statistic might make us imagine.

Girl just adds another foot to his height.

In terms of floating, holding the A-button does allow Banjo to descend slowly for a couple of seconds. However, to get there, you need to do the Kazooie double jump. Besides, who's to say the float or flying couldn't be his up-b? Banjo himself could just have a double jump and then Kazooie giving the extra boost is a special move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly Brave not lining up with how the rest of the file names are romanized to be Yuusha hits Erdrick harder then it should for me.

Like, why would they specifically use the English name when they've used romanized forms for the 2 others from what I've gathered
Already talked about this, but Jack is english too, and only Jack and Brave are codenames, the rest are regular fighter names.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Already talked about this, but Jack is english too, and only Jack and Brave are codenames, the rest are regular fighter names.
Jack is still romanization of Jakku since his codename is probably a reference for Jack Frost.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Doesn't explain why PP's name is a romanization nonetheless.

And see what Nekoo said above.
It's not a codename. That's the name of the fighter. Same with all other fighter names.
They didn't code it, because of the reveal.

That's playing with semantics. Jakku Romanization is the same as the English words.
It's semantics going both ways. This is absolutely useless to argue about. It's english. why are you trying to make it come from jakku?

We only have 2 codenames to work with here. There's no precedent for the point youre trying to make up..

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's not a codename. That's the name of the fighter. Same with all other fighter names.
They didn't code it because of the reveal.

It's semantics going both ways. This is absolutely useless to argue about. It's english. why are you trying to make it come from jakku?

We only have 2 codenames to work with here. There's no precedent for the point youre trying to make up..
I thought only a select few fighters had Japanese names in the files. Would PP not just be piranhaplant?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Honestly Brave not lining up with how the rest of the file names are romanized to be Yuusha hits Erdrick harder then it should for me.

Like, why would they specifically use the English name when they've used romanized forms for the 2 others from what I've gathered
I think Nekoo Nekoo made this point too brilliantly a couple of pages back. It is still pretty weird why they didn't just go with something like Yuusha to define Erdrick as the character. Then again, probably because it's a bit too obvious. Even if it was in Japanese, it still would've been kind of obcious.

Both Persona 5 and KH3 are coming to the swtich :)
I wouldn't mind collections of both on it to otho :O
What about a Shin Megami Tensei collection too, that'd be nice.
I would love a Persona and SMT collection! That would be amazing! More so for Persona, because Persona 3 doesn't really have a definitive version instead of maybe the PSP version. I think Persona 3 especially would work great with the Switch.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
In character qualities, series, or company owners? The latter seems the least likely thing to care about.
I actually disagree. Company owners seems like something they'd care about a lot. Introducing a character in Smash does very positive things for the two companies relationships, it also helps introduce brand new iconic companies into the fray and also helps as a sort of thanks different companies may have given them during the start-up of the Switch like Bethesda.

No almost all fighter names are japanese or romanizations
Nekoo Nekoo I haven't eaten today and for once am too tired to debate back can ya verify what Teeb is saying

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I thought only a select few fighters had Japanese names in the files. Would PP not just be piranhaplant?
All fighters are either their Trademark names or Romanization of their Japanese name. Like Murabito for Villager, Lizardon for Charizard Purrin for Jigglypuff etc etc.
Piranha's name in the files is Packun which is the Romanization of the literal Japanese Pakkun
Packun Plant is also what PP will be named in Ultimate.

There's no precedent for codename.
But there's a precedent for how Smash files are used and worked in the past 4 games.

The point of Yuusha = Brave = Erdrick comes from the TRANSLATION which is what I was against. There no account ever of a words being translated in the games files.

Jack = Jakku would still work in that case as the Romanization if they Used Jakku Frost as the basecode for Joker

That was my point. And I say this as someone who hope and Think it's Erdrick.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All fighters are either their Trademark names or Romanization of their Japanese name. Like Murabito for Villager, Lizardon for Charizard Purrin for Jigglypuff etc etc.
Piranha's name in the files is Packun which is the Romanization of the literal Japanese Pakkun
Packun Plant is also what PP will be named in Ultimate.

There's no precedent for codename.
But there's a precedent for how Smash files are used and worked in the past 4 games.

The point of Yuusha = Brave = Erdrick comes from the TRANSLATION which is what I was against. There no account ever of a words being translated in the games files.

Jack = Jakku would still work in that case as the Romanization if they Used Jakku Frost as the basecode for Joker

That was my point. And I say this as someone who hope and Think it's Erdrick.
Exactly. Fighter names are romanized.
Piranha plant's is not a codename.
Jack and Brave are both codenames, and are both english words.

It makes no sense to focus on 'jakku' just because it can be thought of as a romanized japanese jack (which isn't a thing btw), when jack is the original. It's one of the most weird points I've ever seen. Even if it would be that way, it's still a codename, and there's no other codenames to base yourself on from the past. When they make the codename, do you think they go 'oh I better make it a romanized version of what it is in japanese just like the fighter names'?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Discussing names are we?

Probably not adding anything of value, other than what I interpret from it.

Yuusha = obvious
Brave = vague

But of course... If this came from japanese developers minds, this had to be translated at some point from Japanese language (even of this was done inside the dev's head). So it really makes you think...
I heard there are two different kanji for "Brave" so, if it's not Yuusha, then maybe it's that other kanji that was used before translating it.

The question is... Which one is more commonly used?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Damn me for being a Star Wars fan and not being able to stop giggling thinking of "WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO GO BACK TO JAKKU!?"

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man I really hope it isn't those character that you like, since I don't know them or play their games.

(messin' around, I've played all of them except the new nier. Just wanted to see how you feel about it)
Again, I know you're joking, but don't misunderstand, Dragon Quest MORE than earns its spot in Smash.

With me it's just like... It's a bit TOO classic RPG for me sometimes? Like, it's one of if not THE granddaddy of the genre, so I get it, but I'm the same way with DQ that I am with Star Wars: I totally get why people love it, but I was exposed to so many other things that took inspiration from DQ before actually getting to DQ that I sorta got underwhelemed by it.

Again, that's a ME thing, I know the reasoning is flawed. and I definitely still plan to give the series a proper shot again soon enough.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh at all. I forgot to explain something that's part of why I think it's weird, because I took a little bit of japanese a while back.

There is no name 'jakku' in japanese. It's an adoption (or translation) of the name Jack in english.
When they say Jakku Furosuto, it's literally how the japanese pronounce Jack Frost.

They use katakana to spell out foreign words, so you might see ジャックwhich literally(phonetically) translated is jakku, but it's supposed to be Jack.
Hope that clears a few things up.

Again, I know you're joking, but don't misunderstand, Dragon Quest MORE than earns its spot in Smash.

With me it's just like... It's a bit TOO classic RPG for me sometimes? Like, it's one of if not THE granddaddy of the genre, so I get it, but I'm the same way with DQ that I am with Star Wars: I totally get why people love it, but I was exposed to so many other things that took inspiration from DQ before actually getting to DQ that I sorta got underwhelemed by it.

Again, that's a ME thing, I know the reasoning is flawed. and I definitely still plan to give the series a proper shot again soon enough.
Understood. And I like people being honest about how they feel. It's just hard to see people hoping for a character I like to not be in. But other people do that too. I'd just rather people focus on who they hope to get in instead, if they can :p

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh at all. I forgot to explain something that's part of why I think it's weird, because I took a little bit of japanese a while back.

There is no name 'jakku' in japanese. It's an adoption (or translation) of the name Jack in english.
When they say Jakku Furosuto, it's literally how the japanese pronounce Jack Frost.

They use katakana to spell out foreign words, so you might see ジャックwhich literally(phonetically) translated is jakku, but it's supposed to be Jack.
Hope that clears a few things up.

Understood. And I like people being honest about how they feel. It's just hard to see people hoping for a character I like to not be in. But other people do that too. I'd just rather people focus on who they hope to get in instead, if they can :p
Oh, don't worry. You're not harsh~

And I know all of that.
That's why the Buraivu used in KH2 is actually a valid point since it's "romanization" would be Brave
Same things for Sonic, with his Katakana being written Sonikku but still being called Sonic in files.

That's why I said that, the point of using Buraivu to Brave for Sora could work.
Jack for Jakku too.
But why Yuusha to Brave makes me skeptical. Even if it's a codename.

But even then, most insiders seems to lend on Erdrick and Vergeben/Xenother said no to Sora.

By the Way: I'm postponing the update of the first page until 2.0 and datamine since it would be useless to maybe have outdated info already in less than a week.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I raise you Marth who in the code is Marth while the romanization of his name is Mars. Jakku wouldn't be used, even as a codename.

Brave works as a code name when looking at it through a Japanese lens. You looking at it from an English lens is not what the devs would have been aiming for.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

And I know all of that.
That's why the Buraivu used in KH2 is actually a valid point since it's "romanization" would be Brave
Same things for Sonic, with his Katakana being written Sonikku but still being called Sonic in files.

That's why I said that, the point of using Buraivu to Brave for Sora could work.
Jack for Jakku too.

But even then, most insiders seems to lend on Erdrick and Vergeben/Xenother said no to Sora.

By the Way: I'm postponing the update of the first page until 2.0 and datamine since it would be useless to maybe have outdated info already in less than a week.
Hey look I mean no disrespect to the guy but why do we put any stock in Xenother again?
It's just "Verge trusts him" no? I just want some verification so I know whether to actually trust what he says.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I raise you Marth who in the code is Marth while the romanization of his name is Mars. Jakku wouldn't be used, even as a codename.

Brave works as a code name whel looking at it through a Japanese lens. You looking at it from an English lens is not what the devs would have been aiming for.
Counter point. "The official romanization of 'Marth' comes from the fact that the Japanese language uses the same phonetic to represent "th" and "s" sounds-"

And that's from the FE wikia. More proof from that mistake being that in Melee he was indeed called Mars in the debug menu, but not files before being fixed to Marth in laters games.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Counter point. "The official romanization of 'Marth' comes from the fact that the Japanese language uses the same phonetic to represent "th" and "s" sounds-"

And that's from the FE wikia. More proof from that mistake being that in Melee he was indeed called Mars in the debug menu, but not files before being fixed to Marth in laters games.
I'm well aware of how it works. I know enough about Japanese to know that. Using Melee for a game 17 years later to prove a point is a bit silly though. Hilariously enough, Mars was his name in the English release of the Fire Emblem OVA that predates Melee, which does give an "English preference" to the file names despite the fact that his name was always romanized as Marth in Japan.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Weird, during the smash 4 days I was a CLOUD fan and still a S-E nerd, and I remember clearly being the Geno part of the fanbase who started it all feeling threatened and threatening any other Square-Enix Related Characters beside Geno because of "MUH NINTENDO" link.
The Geno vs Sora "rivalry" started when GameXplain and multiple famous Smash/KH youtuber And competitive player were rallying to vote Sora. (Fun fact. Most Famous YouTuber and player still want Sora more to this days.)

I might be wrong for History. But as someone who didn't really cared about Sora for Smash 4. That's what I clearly remember. Not to start a war or anything.
I think the situation varies based on who you speak to. Usually during my experience, 'Geno is an irrelevant puppet' usually was followed by 'why not pick a more prominent character like Sora?' I think someone who is willing to root for Geno is willing to accept Crono or even Black Mage due to Nintendo ties. The idea of Geno fans really going after Sora feels like re-writing history to me since I think both sides just don't like each other. Neither really came from a place looking to pick a fight. I still view Geno as the underdog in this fight when you really look at his history in gaming compared to a Disney character's that still receives some kind of promotion. I think just having that bigger potential shilling presence makes more enemies from outsiders and will often create more support for Geno out of sympathy.

When it comes to Youtubers and Smash personalities, it varies. For every ZeRo wanting Sora, there is a D1 or an MVD that wants no one more than Geno.

Citations needed for Sora having more Support than Geno. I am not sure if you can really go around say that without hearing every single persons opinion which I doubt one would ever be able to do.

To each his own I suppose. But I don't think I really will change my tune on how I feel about Geno and Sora as potential Smash Bros characters. Not that I am looking to influence anyone here or anything.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

And I know all of that.

Jack for Jakku too.

Sonic has been known as Sonic in japan. They still pronounce it Sonikku.

And if you've watched enough anime, you know that they like to adopt english words to make it sound cool. Buraivu is like that. When they adopt them they can sometimes use the english word, but often use katakana to spell it, like Buraivu.

They wouldn't use Yuusha if it were dragon quest because then it wouldn't be coded. Brave is pretty vague, just like Jack was vague.
I think it's better to stop the point because it doesn't make sense to apply it for codenames, which would have a little more thought put into them, and when all we have apart from it is jack which is an english word too (like ive repeated).

I gotta go, so hopefully that's enough. Brave could be sora too, so why not just be content with that? ;)
later

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The rivalry of the Geno and Sora fandoms actually no longer exists due to the beautiful movie-like friendship of me, a Geno stan, and tehponycorn, a Sora stan.

Movie coming after the Direct it's gonna be good

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Question mark... What if Brave is Banjo & Kazooie? Saw PapaGenos video about Brave, and honestly, I think he has a point with it.
The stats of this so-called Brave as it of how we know right now fits the bill on how it Banjo would realistically work and look
We also have the Rare spirits still being found in the game.

Yes I know that insiders say Steve but in the current position they are right now when it comes to Smash, I can't say that I find them that trustworthy right now, and even if they are right nothing says that Microsoft can't have more then one DLC character. Also Brave doesn't have to be the Square rep, no matter if it's Erdick, Nekku or inserts some other Square rep here as well.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Well, if you ever do want to try DQ again, I made a post about 10 or so pages back, as a recommendation guide on which DQ games are the best ones to get into (near the bottom of this quote):

So I've noticed a trend with most (not all) people here in this thread bouncing off of Dragon Quest in the past before trying a different game and ending up loving it. I'm going to chalk this up to how unfortunately hard it is to get into Dragon Quest without doing a little research first before diving into the series. You can't dive into any game in the series blindly since they each focus on different things.

I'll say that these are the ones you shouldn't start with:
  • Dragon Quest 1&2. The only reason you might want to start with these games is because you've heard that playing these games makes eventually playing Dragon Quest 3 way better. You heard right. However, I doubt a newcomer wants to make a 3 game commitment as their "first" foray into Dragon Quest, especially if they've already played tons of RPGs that have great stories and will be disappointed that these first couple of games merely have somewhat charming writing and tense resource management to complement the incredibly straightforward battle system.
  • Dragon Quest 7. I've actually heard okay things about this game, but it's loooooooooong. The story is apparently pretty good and it has a cool premise where you travel back in time on various islands to save them all from ruin in the present, each acting as a chapter on it's own. But it also has weird event flags on how to activate the next part of the story, which can be very frustrating if you're the kind of player that doesn't like looking at guides every step of the way.
  • Dragon Quest 9. It's completely different from the rest of the series, and whether you like it or not will have no bearing on your opinion of the other games. It's good for playing after getting familiar with the other games proper, especially since it has lots of callbacks, but it's not a proper first impression at all.
  • Dragon Quest 10. It's an MMO that's not even playable outside of Japan lol.
I'm iffy on these games as starters:
  • Dragon Quest 3. It stands on its own, and is a great RPG to play even today! But all your party members are customizable by the player, and while that's fun and affects the game on repeat playthroughs, if you're looking for cool interactions between party members you're out of luck. The exploration and battle tactics aspect of this game are timeless, however, if that's what you're into.
  • Dragon Quest 6. I haven't played this game yet, so I can't safely recommend or warn against this game, so it goes into the "iffy" section by default.
And these are all the best places to start for anyone interested:
  • Dragon Quest 4. Either the DS or the smartphone versions are greatly recommended, but this game has a unique hook most RPGs even today don't have: it has 5 chapters, the first 4 of which focus on a different set of party members as they each go through a little story that reveals more of the main plot. The 5th and final chapter introduces the main character proper who you finally get to control (you name them at the beginning of the game) as they find and recruit the party members of the first 4 chapters on their journey around the world to defeat the main villain. It's a super cool game. That said, you have to put a lot of time into the game to reach Chapter 5, so keep that in mind if you want to check it out. If you get the smartphone version, you won't get buttons like with the DS version, but you'll get a feature called "party chat," which is pressing the talk button to trigger a conversation with each of your party members reacting to the current situation. The writing is SUPER charming and funny and more than makes up for the fact that your finger is used for moving around rather than a D pad.
  • Dragon Quest 5. The one I started with. I'm currently replaying it and it's still my favorite game so far. You want a Dragon Quest game with a really good and gripping story? Here you go: you play as a child following around their father, and eventually learn that your mother is missing. Stuff happens, and now you're playing as an adult, and the entire world has changed, as you continue your search. The game handles themes of growing up and becoming an adult extremely well, and it helps make the "save the world" backdrop feel extremely personal. Saving the world is secondary to finding out answers about your family and friends, which you journey around the entire world to discover. Along with human party members, the hero can eventually learn to recruit monsters into their party, giving the game a great mix of customization (monsters) and character interaction (main character with the human party members). As the cherry on top, this game has party chat just like with DQ4. This game is so tender and warm, I love it with all my heart, and I'm extremely glad it's the first one I played.
  • Dragon Quest 8 and 11. I still haven't gotten around to these games, but I've heard nothing but good things about both of them. From what I know, Dragon Quest 11 is somehow even better than 8, so if anything 11 is the best modern game to try out as your first, and maybe check out 8 afterward since they're both gorgeous third person RPGs instead of the more classic top down ones like the earlier ones.
I hope this guide is of some use when it comes to anyone curious about Dragon Quest.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would say that Sora's the most riskiest choice between the Square canididates. He would be another miracle get character, like how Cloud was for Smash 4 and in a way Joker! The stats does fits his playstyle like how most people would expect for him to play in Smash. He would also be another promotional character. If Joker even is one like we all think Persona 5 would come eventually to the Switch. Sora could offer a potential Kingdom Hearts collection like they did with Final Fantasy and a possible KH 3 port for the Switch.
I don’t see how that makes Sora risky? If anything it makes him a slam dunk for Nintendo to pursue.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Question mark... What if Brave is Banjo & Kazooie? Saw PapaGenos video about Brave, and honestly, I think he has a point with it.
The stats of this so-called Brave as it of how we know right now fits the bill on how it Banjo would realistically work and look
We also have the Rare spirits still being found in the game.

Yes I know that insiders say Steve but in the current position they are right now when it comes to Smash, I can't say that I find them that trustworthy right now, and even if they are right nothing says that Microsoft can't have more then one DLC character. Also Brave doesn't have to be the Square rep, no matter if it's Erdick, Nekku or inserts some other Square rep here as well.
Sure if you can tell me why the name Brave, the most definite of everything (as the stats can change), would actually correlate to Banjo on a reasonable level

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I need P-Plant to hold me over until we get good smash info! :O

Smash is made in japan, and Erdrick is like the poster child for Dragon Quest there. But you're right that Slime would be more recognizable elsewhere, but they do care about their japanese fanbase, considering Fire Emblem was pretty much just japan at first. At least Dragon Quest is still popular in the world.

Erdrick looks a bit like goku, which will get a bit of attention, but if it's true that we're getting Luminary as a skin, then there's quite a bit of power there besides just DQ3 since DQ11 is selling well and coming to the switch.
Promoting DQ in the west even more is not a bad thing at all, and I don't think it's an argument against including a character. It'd definitely be a good decision.

Also, Erdrick is pretty much a retro character, and we know how much nintendo is catering to those this time. He's the main hero of the first trilogy, even if he's only the main character of DQ3. Dragon Warrior (DQ1) was very popular in the west too for the NES, and it's decently tied to Erdrick. Erdrick is pretty much the ancestor of most the other heroes.

There was also an anime based around DQ3, though the hero was named Abel. They only dubbed 13 episodes in english, but some people might still remember watching it as kids. It really looks like goku again :p

sure but they obviously care about the international community.

FE Awakening broke trends and started doing good in America for the very first time, which is why we got so many FE characters and because Nintendo wanted to run with it.

A lack of overseas familiarity has gotten characters the axe before, such as Ayumi Tachibana, as with Takamaru, and those are both retro reps too. This time we got a few characters who weren't even made in Japan as well.

I think they very much do take their international communities into consideration, and Sakurai is making the final decisions on these characters. He's cut retro characters because people wouldn't recognize them, which leads me to believe they'd go for Slime, a posterboy who EVERYONE will recognize, not just Japan. DQ is in a very peculiar situation, but I still think Slime would be in over Erdrick.

Also catering to retro characters seems like it'd hurt Erdrick's chances tbh. I think they'd want to revisit Takamaru's popularity, or Hayabusa's legacy on difficult games, or Doomguy, or Balloon Fighter. Again, Slime puts Erdrick into question too because he was around two games before Erdrick was (in appearance, at least.)

I get we haven't heard much of him since he was only heard once by leakers, but I really think Slime kinda slims down Erdrick's chances. He's much more recognizable, he's had his own spin off game, there are spin off games fort DQ called DQ Monsters which goes to show, yeah DQ's monsters are pretty important, he's been around the entire time, and whenever DQ gets a crossover they make absolute sure that Slime is the focus of that, as seen in Fortune Street. I mean, even in the picture you sent, there's a Slime just chilling out on Abel's shoulder. Taken into account how Sakurai really cut down on sword characters this time, and understanding that yes: he does take the community's opinion into account, I think he'd really go for Slime when there has previously been more support for the thing internationally and in Japan as far as I know.

Also, did I say advertising DQ was a reason he wouldn't be in? I don't think I did.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, since it pertains to the SE rep...

Apparently, according to this interview, the creator of DoA (within which Ryu Hayabusa is most well-known in the modern day, as opposed to the retro Ninja Gaiden) has never spoken to Sakurai about Smash at all.

If I'm not misinterpreting, doesn't that completely debunk that popular 5chan rumor, since it listed Ryu Hayabusa? Surely talks within Koei-Tecmo would be a thing with all parties involved with Ryu's series if he was in.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
sure but they obviously care about the international community.

FE Awakening broke trends and started doing good in America for the very first time, which is why we got so many FE characters and because Nintendo wanted to run with it.

A lack of overseas familiarity has gotten characters the axe before, such as Ayumi Tachibana, as with Takamaru, and those are both retro reps too. This time we got a few characters who weren't even made in Japan as well.

I think they very much do take their international communities into consideration, and Sakurai is making the final decisions on these characters. He's cut retro characters because people wouldn't recognize them, which leads me to believe they'd go for Slime, a posterboy who EVERYONE will recognize, not just Japan. DQ is in a very peculiar situation, but I still think Slime would be in over Erdrick.

Also catering to retro characters seems like it'd hurt Erdrick's chances tbh. I think they'd want to revisit Takamaru's popularity, or Hayabusa's legacy on difficult games, or Doomguy, or Balloon Fighter. Again, Slime puts Erdrick into question too because he was around two games before Erdrick was (in appearance, at least.)

I get we haven't heard much of him since he was only heard once by leakers, but I really think Slime kinda slims down Erdrick's chances. He's much more recognizable, he's had his own spin off game, there are spin off games fort DQ called DQ Monsters which goes to show, yeah DQ's monsters are pretty important, he's been around the entire time, and whenever DQ gets a crossover they make absolute sure that Slime is the focus of that, as seen in Fortune Street. I mean, even in the picture you sent, there's a Slime just chilling out on Abel's shoulder. Taken into account how Sakurai really cut down on sword characters this time, and understanding that yes: he does take the community's opinion into account, I think he'd really go for Slime when there has previously been more support for the thing internationally and in Japan as far as I know.

Also, did I say advertising DQ was a reason he wouldn't be in? I don't think I did.
DQ3 came out in 1988. I'd by far consider that retro enough.
Sure Slime had a spin-off game but Erdrick had THE game. DQ3's effects on the gaming industry cannot be understated.
Also Erdrick is not just a sword user, dude uses magic and **** too.

There are very few cases where the amount of people buying a character in Japan can outweigh financial concerns regarding how they'd sell internationally. DQ is one of these cases.

Apparently, according to this interview, the creator of DoA (within which Ryu Hayabusa is most well-known in the modern day, as opposed to the retro Ninja Gaiden) has never spoken to Sakurai about Smash at all.

If I'm not misinterpreting, doesn't that completely debunk that popular 5chan rumor, since it listed Ryu Hayabusa? Surely talks within Koei-Tecmo would be a thing with all parties involved with Ryu's series if he was in.
Misleading;

"
  • Speaking of Smash Bros , if you could take a DOA character to implement it in the Smash cast , who would you choose?
I never spoke with Mr. Sakurai (Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of the Super Smash Bros series), but if I had the chance to do so I would ask him with pleasure, and I would probably choose Kasumi. "

Just sounds like he hasn't talked to Sakurai about a DOA choice given the context.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman

NDAs are a thing

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

First, I'm pretty sure Itagaki was the one who made DoA; and second, as stated above, they were talking about DoA characters, which vaguely involves Ryu in.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Misleading;

"
  • Speaking of Smash Bros , if you could take a DOA character to implement it in the Smash cast , who would you choose?
I never spoke with Mr. Sakurai (Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of the Super Smash Bros series), but if I had the chance to do so I would ask him with pleasure, and I would probably choose Kasumi. "

Just sounds like he hasn't talked to Sakurai about a DOA choice given the context.
Yeah, but if he hasn't, and given Ryu Hayabusa is part of DoA, wouldn't that logically chalk it up to, "Ryu was never discussed?" On top of that, though, it also points fingers towards Kasumi as a more likely rep.

I could be so wrong, though. I'm having trouble braining today.

First, I'm pretty sure Itagaki was the one who made DoA; and second, as stated above, they were talking about DoA characters, which vaguely involves Ryu in.
Ooh, okay, thanks for clearing that up. That makes sense.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, but if he hasn't, and given Ryu Hayabusa is part of DoA, wouldn't that logically chalk it up to, "Ryu was never discussed?" On top of that, though, it also points fingers towards Kasumi as a more likely rep.

I could be so wrong, though. I'm having trouble braining today.
Ryu is not a DoA character. He is basically a guest character. Given the guy who created Ryu is stating that I'd feel he'd know the difference and I'm not saying this to snark.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
DQ3 came out in 1988. I'd by far consider that retro enough.
Sure Slime had a spin-off game but Erdrick had THE game. DQ3's effects on the gaming industry cannot be understated.
Also Erdrick is not just a sword user, dude uses magic and **** too.

There are very few cases where the amount of people buying a character in Japan can outweigh financial concerns regarding how they'd sell internationally. DQ is one of these cases.

Misleading;

"

I don't recall saying Erdrick wouldn't be retro. However, DQ3 is considered the best DQ game, sure, but there were two before it. Slime was in both of those games, and I really think that they'd throw him in there especially because the little ******* started getting his own spin offs and crossovers. It just doesn't make sense to break tradition just for Smash to throw in Erdrick, especially when Slime has gotten its... lack of feet wet with Nintendo IP before.

I'm not calling into question DQ's chances of getting into this game, I'm calling into question who's gonna be the one to represent the franchise, and I genuinely believe it'd be Slime.

Top Bottom