• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Wait. He didn't say anything on Erdrick being a lock.
In fact, what actually intrigued me was his "not entirely untrue".
I don't know man. I'm feeling like he ain't putting all his eggs into one basket.
Maybe what he meant was people mistaking Erdrick was in the game? Or regarding Jump Force?
Who knows? But he certainly didn't say there that Erdrick is the one.
Vergeben has never claimed who the SE character is 100%. He just gives us likelihoods from what people inside say, but the general list is the seven of this thread, so we can expect one of them.

D

Deleted member

I don't know man. I'm feeling like he ain't putting all his eggs into one basket.
Maybe what he meant was people mistaking Erdrick was in the game? Or regarding Jump Force?
He seems not completely sold on Erdrick yet, and his comment seems regarding the theories that "insiders" are morons who cannot distinguish characters and which game are they belong.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Since May/July/August

Smash
Get:
>Snake, Wolf, Ridley, Ice Climber, all of 3ds/Wii U cast + DLC coming back
>Simon Belmont
>Isabelle
>Ken
>Incineroar
>PROBABLY will get Square-Enix DLC right

Get wrong:
>Steve or minecraft content?

Out of Smash:
>Get Jump Force announcement right
>Get Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the night collection right, but not the plateform as it's just PS4 (as of now)
>Got Jiren being first to be announced for DBZ fighterZ season 2
>A lot of SVI right, but a lot of it wrong

While everyone was against him and was loving the grinch leak, and hoping he was wrong at every claim he did.

He got a LOT of things wrong before, but since May/July, he seems to be pretty much green all across the board, he's a jerk, a big one, but you acting like him being in the wrong for one Info in smash, but right everywhere else discredit him ain't good.
I don't like Vergeben a single bit. But your reaction against him is disproportionate. Especially expecting every leaker to get everything right, when I can tell you that it rarely to never happens with all missinformation internally.
Don't forget about Isaac being an AT. He also got the new Dragon Ball RPG right
Add to these too, the new Samurai Shodown (he knew that one since April) and the TMNT in Injustice 2.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Since May/July/August

Smash
Get:
>Snake, Wolf, Ridley, Ice Climber, all of 3ds/Wii U cast + DLC coming back
>Simon Belmont
>Isabelle
>Ken
>Incineroar
>PROBABLY will get Square-Enix DLC right

Get wrong:
>Steve or minecraft content?

Out of Smash:
>Get Jump Force announcement right
>Get Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the night collection right, but not the plateform as it's just PS4 (as of now)
>Got Jiren being first to be announced for DBZ fighterZ season 2
>A lot of SVI right, but a lot of it wrong

While everyone was against him and was loving the grinch leak, and hoping he was wrong at every claim he did.

He got a LOT of things wrong before, but since May/July, he seems to be pretty much green all across the board, he's a jerk, a big one, but you acting like him being in the wrong for one Info in smash, but right everywhere else discredit him ain't good.
I don't like Vergeben a single bit. But your reaction against him is disproportionate. Especially expecting every leaker to get everything right, when I can tell you that it rarely to never happens with all missinformation internally.
While Vergeben has definitely had a good (but not perfect) track record overall in 2018...

The fact that he hasn’t gone all in on Erdrick (or anyone else for that matter) is one of the main reasons why I’m not completely sold just yet.

D

Deleted member

The fact that he hasn’t gone all in on Erdrick (or anyone else for that matter) is one of the main reasons why I’m not completely sold just yet.
That's exactly why I'm not sold on Erdrick at all. Just not having that solid Vergeben bias on my side makes chances harder to predict lol.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
He seems not completely sold on Erdrick yet, and his comment seems regarding the theories that "insiders" are morons who cannot distinguish characters and which game are they belong.
I can see that be the case.
But I just wanted to point out that he did go 100% on characters before in Smash, and all of them ended up correct except the Minecraft content.
And he has been silent on Smash for a good while now. So he may have gotten more news that he didn't share. Who knows? Maybe it's the reason also why he is not coming out in public to say that he believes Erdrick was the chosen rep.

Calane

Smash Ace
He never said "not entirely untrue". Here's the part you're talking about:

"But dumbest of all are the people who believe that "insiders have mistaken Dai for Erdrick and that is why they thought Erdrick was coming to Smash Bros".
That is not only completely untrue.... but is not how any of that kind of things work."

He's just saying that the idea of insiders mistaking Dai for Erdrick is completely untrue.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Seems ZeRo put Sora as his number 1 and Sephiroth as his number 2.
Cool stuff.
Reminded me of the idea someone had here about having two S-E characters as DLC
He has good taste.

I'm really anxious for January 31/February 1 to come so the update launches and people datamine it in order to find out if Brave has been updated. And there's also the possibility of a Direct, which is even better. I just want to be sure if I'll get the a character I want or not as soon as possible.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Vergeben not going all in on a character isn't uncalled for. He didn't go all in on Incineroar for quite a few weeks after loz leaked that PM.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I hope all of this is cleared up within the next week (when 2.0.0 hits) but I just know the "fun" will continue.

D

Deleted member

I hope all of this is cleared up within the next week (when 2.0.0 hits) but I just know the "fun" will continue.
We'll all move onto the next hot button bit of debatably credible info.

E: Well first, we'll talk about the revealed info from the game itself, and then move onto other DLC possibilities

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
He has good taste.

I'm really anxious for January 31/February 1 to come so the update launches and people datamine it in order to find out if Brave has been updated. And there's also the possibility of a Direct, which is even better. I just want to be sure if I'll get the a character I want or not as soon as possible.
I hope we get something more blatant and easier to find in the next patch. It's a lot better to entertain something like Ryu's victory theme than a cheap codename.

D

Deleted member

I hope we get something more blatant and easier to find in the next patch. It's a lot better to entertain something like Ryu's victory theme than a cheap codename.
Or worse. The next codename is officially going to be "Placeholder."

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Kinda imagined it would happen...

While I agree with you in that he's a drama queen, he is not in the wrong here considering the smash fanbase normally creates stupid theories like this and is not exactly friendly.
I'd agree if he didn't act that always. Look, as someone who's all too aware of Verge, he's more the instigator than supposedly the victim. He does with any fanbase for a game he leaks. And he groups them all under the same tree. And he's said even worse things that he's in the wrong for to boot.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Next patch drop in
>They just randomly write the 7 square rep in string of text with a "Ahahaha **** you dataminer - Love, Sakurai."
>Brave become "Coward"

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure we ran into that situation last game, with the unused "Mario" slots that later became Cloud, Bayo and Corrin.
Oh **** that actually happened? Well then these codenames became even less reliable.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
But your reaction against him is disproportionate. Especially expecting every leaker to get everything right, when I can tell you that it rarely to never happens with all missinformation internally.
You're getting a bit defensive here. I've showcased no overall reaction to Verge outside of him being a needlessly terrible person with an overall spotty track record throughout his entire career. Just stated that he hasn't gotten everything right. I have no obligation to believe him, so I don't see why that bothers you.

And nothing he's said about SE DLC which wasn't even considered DLC in the beginning, has yet to be proven. In fact, he's turned out wrong so far about it being the first.

You believe him to your extent and I'll regard him in mine. Bad track record in anything else that isn't this game overall, and not bulletproof. But don't make a drama case out of trying to defend him when he gets called out for his absolute BS shticks were he's terrible and in the wrong.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Off topic but I really like this art!
I am getting KH3 soon and seeing Sora in this picture makes me wanting Sora more!

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
That's exactly why I'm not sold on Erdrick at all. Just not having that solid Vergeben bias on my side makes chances harder to predict lol.
True that. He's been burned countless times in being wrong before, so it's no surprise that unlike with Incineroar, he notably hasn't acted quite as smug as he did before the November Direct when it comes to Erdrick. The chances of it not being Erdrick or even an SE rep at all, are still there and present.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
True that. He's been burned countless times in being wrong before, so it's no surprise that unlike with Incineroar, he notably hasn't acted quite as smug as he did before the November Direct when it comes to Erdrick. The chances of it not being Erdrick or even an SE rep at all, are still there and present.
Countless
He hasn't been wrong about jack since freaking June. And just because he doesn't act smug, doesn't mean anything, much less when he accepted his error at latching on to the SE character coming first. Also, Tansut's a thing, so it's not like Verg's the only one with influence on Erdrick's situation.

D

Deleted member

I'd agree if he didn't act that always. Look, as someone who's all too aware of Verge, he's more the instigator than supposedly the victim. He does with any fanbase for a game he leaks. And he groups them all under the same tree. And he's said even worse things that he's in the wrong for to boot.
I understand what you're saying, I'm not a fan of his and I don't follow him at all so I cannot say how much of an **** he is.

The thing is that while I agree that he is a PoS, I agree that in this situation the smash community is pretty much stretching and twisting arguments because they don't like the idea of this certain character and/or want the "insiders" to be btfo. The fact that verge is a PoS, doesnt excuse that, a lot of the time, various members of the smash community (or any community) act like PoS as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I am getting KH3 soon and seeing Sora in this picture makes me wanting Sora more!
I love it! Chain of Memories has a really cool box art. One of the things I miss in Ultimate is special celebration art for new fighters, like in Sm4sh. The Cloud one was awesome, and I really want to see what Nomura would do for Sora.

Untouch

Smash Master
Uh....Interesting tibit from Vergeben on Reddit, about Smash/JumpForce and DQ in general.

source

So seems that Dai being in Jump Force doesn't hurt Erdrick at all, he still seems to believe Erdrick will be the one
Tansut said that the character he heard has a male and female alt.
That doesn't fit Dai at all.

They don't even look similar. They're vaguely from the same franchise.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
He hasn't been wrong about jack since freaking June.
I'm not talking about Smash exclusively.
And just because he doesn't act smug, doesn't mean anything, much less when he accepted his error at latching on to the SE character coming first.
Actually, it does, since it ties into his certainty. Compare how smug he was with even a taunting gif before Incineroar was revealed. If that ain't certainty then I've got a bridge to sell you.
Also, Tansut's a thing, so it's not like Verg's the only one with influence on Erdrick's situation.
Yeah, but Verge is the only absolutely solid case most people are listening to. Tansut did get Cloud, but that was one thing, and he only managed to reveal such hours before the direct, so he doesn't have quite as much a track record, hence why some don't bring him up at first mention. As for other insiders, none some to really agree on enough for that solid a case yet.
I understand what you're saying, I'm not a fan of his and I don't follow him at all so I cannot say how much of an **** he is.

The thing is that while I agree that he is a PoS, I agree that in this situation the smash community is pretty much stretching and twisting arguments because they don't like the idea of this certain character and/or want the "insiders" to be btfo. The fact that verge is a PoS, doesnt excuse that, a lot of the time, various members of the smash community (or any community) act like PoS as well.
Literally, all he'd have to do was take the effort not to generalize the entire community and specify that it was mainly stuff like Gamefaqsd folk, or other specifications. I'd agree with you there. He'd have far less people on his case and against him too.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Now that I come to think of it, are there any DT spirits in the game (as in, stuff you can actually unlock)? It's kind of odd to see references to a game that was kind of a trainwreck on the long-run.
No.
If I was to guess, Nintendo was planning on putting the spirits in the game, but Nexon bought the IP so they had to cut them out.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

>When the whole leaked PM issue with loz happened
"Vergeben said no DK reps so he's wrong!"
>When Vergeben insisted when he said he didn't know Isabelle's full status as a playable character
"He said she was definitely an echo!"
>When anyone mentions that he got Incineroar right
"It was too obvious!"
>Whenever anyone says he's right
":insert comment about the list with Noctis, or just call everything "lucky guesses":"

I'm not talking about Smash exclusively.
Okay then, tell me what he's been wrong about from June to now. I'm all ready to be proven wrong.

Actually, it does, since it ties into his certainty. Compare how smug he was with even a taunting gif before Incineroar was revealed. If that ain't certainty then I've got a bridge to sell you.
Ooh, he posted a smug comment on GameFAQs, so? It's not like can't leak things right without being smug (even though he does come to do that at times).

Yeah, but Verge is the only absolutely solid case most people are listening to. Tansut did get Cloud, but that was one thing, and he only managed to reveal such hours before the direct, so he doesn't have quite as much a track record, hence why some don't bring him up at first mention. As for other insiders, none some to really agree on enough for that solid a case yet.
Just because he's not as discussed as Verge, doesn't mean it doesn't exist nor that no one pays attention to it. Also, other insiders? Emily and Jon barely said anything in the pre-release time, so it's not like their silence affect things much.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
We'll all move onto the next hot button bit of debatably credible info.

E: Well first, we'll talk about the revealed info from the game itself, and then move onto other DLC possibilities
I'm honestly more worried about the whole Steve vs Banjo than this SE rep situation, lol. But I won't get deeper on my thoughts on that cause it's irrelevant to this thread. I surely hope the SE situation gets a conclusion first for sure.

That's a great piece. It reminds me of the thought that came to my mind a few nights ago… a reveal where Sora gets the letter in the bottle just like it happens in KH2, but this time it's a Smash invitation.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Okay then, tell me what he's been wrong about from June to now. I'm all ready to be proven wrong.
I said throughout his entire career. That said, I'd be obliged. Just the tip of the iceberg is his infamous run-ins with the Soul Caliber franchise, given how badly he botched a leak and got characters and a release event wrong. He also botched matters with Dragonball FighterZ on a few occasions.I th
Ooh, he posted a smug comment on GameFAQs, so? It's not like can't leak things right without being smug (even though he does come to do that at times).
I think you're missing the point here. He's not acting certain about Erdrick in the slightest unlike Incineroar. Come back to me when he actually does and then I might worry.
Just because he's not as discussed as Verge, doesn't mean it doesn't exist nor that no one pays attention to it.
Got a quote where I said that that's the case? Cause you're kinda putting words in my mouth at this point. I just said people don't bring him as much and pointed out why they may have their doubts.
Also, other insiders? Emily and Jon barely said anything in the pre-release time, so it's not like their silence affect things much.
Kinda makes one wonder about the supposed plethora of insider info for Erdrick when in that case, there's really not many people saying it, not counting text leaks.

D

Deleted member

I'm honestly more worried about the whole Steve vs Banjo than this SE rep situation, lol. But I won't get deeper on my thoughts on that cause it's irrelevant to this thread. I surely hope the SE situation gets a conclusion first for sure.
Oh god that's the one where my stakes are in because I already think Geno and Bomberman are done for. Banjo is the last Big 3 hype.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Tansut basically said that the character we are getting has a male and female alt and posted the Dairy Queen logo as a character that's coming as DLC.
Now I'm thinking of that user who couldn't get into Dragon Quest and said seeing "DQ" just makes him hungry for Dairy Queen lol

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I said throughout his entire career. That said, I'd be obliged. Just the tip of the iceberg is his infamous run-ins with the Soul Caliber franchise, given how badly he botched a leak and got characters and a release event wrong. He also botched matters with Dragonball FighterZ on a few occasions.I th
I said between June and now, by that time, FighterZ was already available, with the only real leaks being about the Switch version, which, surprise surprise, was something Vergeben was right about. While I can't say much about SCVI, I can say for sure that he didn't botch any releases, with the only red flags being him saying Seong Mi-Na possibly not happening, and not calling 2B, and that's it. If those are the "tip of the iceberg" to you, then I can only imagine the rest of the stuff you've got aren't probably from around the timeframe I mentioned, but rather earlier than that.

I think you're missing the point here. He's not acting certain about Erdrick in the slightest unlike Incineroar. Come back to me when he actually does and then I might worry.
Because not acting smug totally prevented Simon, or Isabelle, or Jump Force, or Castlevania Requiem from happening, now did they?

Got a quote where I said that that's the case? Cause you're kinda putting words in my mouth at this point. I just said people don't bring him as much and pointed out why they may have their doubts.
You say it right here:
Yeah, but Verge is the only absolutely solid case most people are listening to
If that didn't imply that not being discussed made someone less credible, then I don't know what it meant. Granted, I did read all the other things, and the point is, they're still not wrong. And if you're gonna use someone's absence to discredit or make them doubtful, I can play that game too: Emily only said everyone would be pleased with the roster, with no specifications on what that implied; Jon and Nibel made a bunch of jokes about Ridley's size, and Ryce funnily enough, only popped up once we all heard about from Incineroar thanks to Verg. If I judged insiders like that, then no one would be right; if they've got anything to say, I'll take their word, if they remain silent, I won't judge 'em either; the only why I don't take Ryce's comments seriously is because the guy explicitly talked about not wanting to leak things anymore (after that whole fiasco with the Mind Stone) and remained adamant on not knowing anything about MvCI and other games afaik.

Kinda makes one wonder about the supposed plethora of insider info for Erdrick when in that case, there's really not many people saying it, not counting text leaks.
I'll refer to my statement on Verg acting smug, and add on to that, there were still other leaks that didn't turn out wrong or doubtful because the guys at ERA didn't say jack, like the E3 leak on /v/, the guy with soldier wojak from that same place, or noatesty. Kind of speaks on how much power silence really has.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
FighterZ was already available, with the only real leaks being about the Switch version, which, surprise surprise, was something Vergeben was right about.
YOu hadn't heard about the DLC screwups I take it.
then I can only imagine the rest of the stuff you've got aren't probably from around the timeframe I mentioned, but rather earlier than that.
You'd imagine wrong, but I don't think you're really going to change your mind given how this conversation has gone so far.I h
Because not acting smug totally prevented Simon, or Isabelle, or Jump Force, or Castlevania Requiem from happening, now did they?
I have no idea what you're even on at this point, but you do know that he got the info about Castlevania getting a compilation on the Switch wrong, right?
You say it right here:
If that didn't imply that not being discussed made someone less credible, then I don't know what it meant.
What it meant couldn't have been further from what you think I said. I merely stated the reasons people don't bring him up, Actual credibility had nothing to do with it, and not once, did I myself say he wasn't credible objectively. Stating why people may not bring him up or seem him as strong in the track record department doesn't annotate one's own stance always.
I'll refer to my statement on Verg acting smug, and add on to that, there were still other leaks that didn't turn out wrong or doubtful because the guys at ERA didn't say jack, like the E3 leak on /v/, the guy with soldier wojak from that same place, or noatesty. Kind of speaks on how much power silence really has.
So,your point is? Not coming in clear.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It just feels weird seeing stuff like "holy ****ing **** is this even real? Way more hype than anything base roster!" So often for a character I barely gave any fanfare when announced.
Keep in mind though, my bar for hype on the base roster was very low. I wasn't thrilled with smash 4 newcomers.
Yeah and that's exactly what seems to be happening now with Erdrick and most people here (not me). Kinda hoping history repeats again and we get another crazy reveal around Joker's level that nobody expected.
I legitimately think Brave is Wonder Red. I think Erdrick will come later, but I'm calling it now, Brave is Wonder Red. That'll throw everyone for a loop.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
YOu hadn't heard about the DLC screwups I take it.
Screwups like what? Raditz and Zarbon? We knew those weren't going to happen as soon as all 8 characters were datamined, and if you're gonna bring them up, then why not mention Base Goku and Vegeta as well?

You'd imagine wrong, but I don't think you're really going to change your mind given how this conversation has gone so far.I h
I can, tell me and I'll take it. It's an open discussion after all.

I have no idea what you're even on at this point, but you do know that he got the info about Castlevanai getting a compilation on the Switch wrong, right?
I'm just saying that being smug doesn't define Vergeben's stance on whether he believes something is true or not, and demonstrate that with those examples.
And regarding Castlevania, here's what really happened, made sure to put the important parts on bold:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76678006?jumpto=4#4
[...]I believe each are multiplatform releases (one may be Switch exclusive but haven't been able to verify that). One is a new title and the other a collection of classic Castlevania games, with Symphony of the Night being the headline game.

I heard a few months back that Wii's Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth would be coming to Switch, so it's probably part of that collection of classic Castlevania games.
But I'm not entirely sure if there's connection[...].
As you can see that part about the Switch was just speculation on his behalf, and something just people may have misread. And no, it's not edited at all.

What it meant couldn't have been further from what you think I said. I merely stated the reasons people don't bring him up, Actual credibility had nothing to do with it, and not once, did I myself say he wasn't credible objectively. Stating why people may not bring him up or seem him as strong in the track record department doesn't annotate one's own stance always.
Okay, mistake on my behalf.

So,your point is? Not coming in clear.
It's that insider's silence has little to no power on leaks and rumours. If they're debunked or put on doubt by them, it's because they said something, not because they didn't.

Top Bottom