• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Wait a minute.
Didn't we already receive confirmation that the 2.0.0 update will be coming next week?
Why are we even considering this "leak" to be remotely worthy of discussion?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What can they possibly do beyond balancing? I'm not expecting much until I get news that they're adding new content

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah it's just a rumor, but it's 2.0 that made the post catch attention. But yeah they dont work well together if the patch only releases mid-feb and not next week :p

Sora's Disney ties could make or break the character when it comes down to negotiations. However having Kingdom Hearts as a series in smash brings a lot more to the table for Nintendo than most other game companies can bring. With Disney backing smash, Nintendo would push more units guaranteed.
Sure, DQ fans would also migrate to the smash scene, but Disney has a world wide appeal that the series cant keep up with.

And to those who say he'll never get in cuz he's disney, well then you really have throw out the whole 7 character list. For all intent and purposes, according to that list, Nintendo considers Sora a Square representative. The fact that he is present on that list is proof of that.

I personally would like Sora over Erdrick though. Im not too familiar with the series,but I feel like he'd end up being another Link. Boomerang, Shield,Sword,some magic,etc..

At least with Sora you have plenty of moves and abilities to reference.

As long as we dont get another Fire Emblem character, Im cool with the choice.
There's so much that a DQ character could do, it's definitely not going to be like link.
And, I highly doubt they'd give Erdrick a boomerang because there weren't even any in the nes version.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Question, What if the Stats don't change at all? Would you guys assume that for the most part the stuff we saw was set in stone or that they just haven't Significantly updated it?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Question, What if the Stats don't change at all? Would you guys assume that for the most part the stuff we saw was set in stone or that they just haven't Significantly updated it?
It'd be lame if they didn't change, but considering some of them are copy-paste, i'd chalk it up as just being too early in development (and they might be focusing on joker).
I really think something will change tho :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Personally, yes. I would assume the character is set in stone. In Brave's case, I think there's 40ish% chance that it's Erdrick, 60% that it's anyone else (my guesses? Viewtiful Joe, Wonder Red, or Arthur from G&G).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Basically, pro tip:

If you're going to make a fake Smash leak, at least make sure you brush up on your elementary school mathematics, kids.
Better pro tip: Only idiots make leaks. Don't be an idiot.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if the "leak" is saying that Erdrick just has alt colors resembling Luminary and Anlucia, or that they both actually appear as one of their alts. The wording doesn't seem to specify from what I recall. Perhaps I'm misinformed.

If they're saying that they do actually appear, then I'd imagine that they'd only take up one alt for both male and female Erdrick. Basically, one of male Erdrick's alts would be Luminary, and one of female Erdrick's alts would be Anlucia (I seriously hope I'm spelling that name right).

I don't really like the idea, but I'll take it if it means I can see DQ in Smash. If true, these would be the four that make up Erdrick's alts and stuff:

View attachment 183767

I would seriously hope that they'd give Luminary and Anlucia different victory poses from Erdrick (sort of like they did with the Pokemon Trainers).
This is an old post, but I realy like seeing those 4 characters together, and even if I think it's unlikely, I'd be so freakin happy for all of those being skins.
I was thinking that maybe there's 2 slots/costumes for each. that'd make 8 in total.

Personally, yes. I would assume the character is set in stone. In Brave's case, I think there's 40ish% chance that it's Erdrick, 60% that it's anyone else (my guesses? Viewtiful Joe, Wonder Red, or Arthur from G&G).
Nice avi :)
The face really reminds me of goku or gohan even more now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well thanks to everyone for cheering me up.
In the end other than venting, I decided to channel my feelings in a different, perhaps more fun way.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8...x9ja-bdafbb3d-e5c6-4028-a358-1992919885f1.png

Meet Gerdrino. .... Or Sordrira.... Or Gerardrick?
Regardless, imposible not to like him now. :p
Gerardrick is a good name.

Umm. Well this is relevant for here:

Can likely be just another fake attempt at a leak tho
Probably fake, some stuff just doesn’t feel right and like everyone has said, typos and math failures just kill this kind of thing. Still, it makes a lot of sense and would be pretty good, although no representation at all for Sephiroth and Sora would be weird.

Luigi The President.
My girl.

No.
Smash games always worked with X.X.X
X= Main game version
2X= Major update/Balance/Character added/Bugfixes
3X= Minor bugfixes/hotfix

Smash never went in a 2.0.0 version ever. Not at all during Smash 4 lifetime and the introduction of patches, and how Ultimate worked until now. What makes it interesting is that it mentionned a version 2.0.0 when no one did and though we would get a 1.2.1 from 1.3.1.

Of course, there a big chance that it's fake, but it's being VERY lucky if it's that case
Is that well known info? Because that seems like exactly the kind of mistake a person like me, who has no idea how Smash versions work, would make.

Like if I were to leak a version I’d get something like 2.0.0 by accident.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is an old post, but I realy like seeing those 4 characters together, and even if I think it's unlikely, I'd be so freakin happy for all of those being skins.
I was thinking that maybe there's 2 slots/costumes for each. that'd make 8 in total.

Nice avi :)
The face really reminds me of goku or gohan even more now.
Thanks!
Well, the original art is pretty much as old as Dragon Ball. So the rescenblence has to be uncanny.
But one thing I love about DQ is how Akira's art style evolves over the time. Like, the shading is improved, the details of hair (more lines) and clothes.
Dragon Ball on the other hand, although the art-style has changed, certain details retain the same oldschool style.

Btw I love seeing those 4 together. I would love to see them. Any ideas/personal wants for the other 4 schemes?
(Maybe red-caped, silver-crown Erdricks, + Eight+Sofia which would be my choices.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks!
Well, the original art is pretty much as old as Dragon Ball. So the rescenblence has to be uncanny.
But one thing I love about DQ is how Akira's art style evolves over the time. Like, the shading is improved, the details of hair (more lines) and clothes.
Dragon Ball on the other hand, although the art-style has changed, certain details retain the same oldschool style.

Btw I love seeing those 4 together. I would love to see them. Any ideas/personal wants for the other 4 schemes?
(Maybe red-caped, silver-crown Erdricks, + Eight+Sofia which would be my choices.)
:)
Sofia would of course my #1 pick if we could have them too, tho that would mean probably 1 slot for each hero. I'm not sure who else I prefer after that, but I'm a fan of DQHeroes designs, even if they could be less likely.

I think that a Dragon Warrior 1 armor could go a long way for fans, even if personally I dont like heavy armors. I'd have to look at more stuff to see what I'd like as alt costumes if there's just the 4 from the leak or less, but that's a good question to wonder about.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I dont think the massive P5 fan that is Sakurai would allow Mementos to be Joker's home stage. No P5 fan in their right mind would call that part of the game "memorable". There's just no way.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
lol, well since we are in a joking mood… Zero just revealed he was given an early english copy of KH3. Incoming theorists thinking it means something for Sora (which I wish… but I know it doesn't, sadly, lol)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In only slightly related news, guess which Bandai-Namco produced crossover fighting game is getting a Dragon Quest character :p

https://twitter.com/bandainamcous/status/1088495984148017152?s=21
Ah yes. Truly joyful news for me. I know a fair ammount of people who only know DQ due to this anime.
Personally really excited. Wish JF would come to Switch.

Obviously People have begun to poke fun at that this means Smash doesn't get a DQ character. Others see it as a chance for Rayman to be in both. Brawlhalla and Ultimate.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So these past 2 days weren't exactly fun for me, mostly on this thread.
Like, I'm kind of used to people making fun or hating the idea of my most wanted characters. But with the whole "rate the 7" game I just got a little frustrated.

Like, I have plenty of arguments to back DQ as a worthy inclusion to the Smash series. But one can't change how people feel about it, which is ok.

But then there's also the "he looks generic" - "he looks boring" - "plain-looking"
It drives me up the wall.
Maybe I give way too much credit to the art of Akira Toriyama, but that alone makes any DQ character stick like a giant green thumb from the rest of the cast. To me at least.
This is why I desperate wanted Erdrick or any DQ character last game. We would have gotten that sweet art piece from the original artist, and the contrast would have been that evident. (Especially if Link and Mario had been in the pic).

But again. Maybe I just give the art-style way too much credit. Maybe it's not enough.

But at least this warmed my heart.

Beautiful piece, Nekoo Nekoo you captured both characters perfectly! I've been drawing for almost 2 decades now, and I don't think I could pull that off! Thank you for the wonderful pic. You should expand it to the restos the 7! Or more.

Aaaand this is what's currently keeping me sane. :) Everytime I see apathy and hate towards DQ, I turn to this image, and the pain goes away.

I'm mainly buying JUMP Force for Dai. But then again, maybe also for Kenshin and Shishio who have barely stepped on 3D game territory. I only hope it comes to Switch!
People don't actually hate dragon quest. They just don't want Erdrick in smash. I mean, I'm sure some people don't like it for real, but people weren't bashing it before it was expected for smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
lol, well since we are in a joking mood… Zero just revealed he was given an early english copy of KH3. Incoming theorists thinking it means something for Sora (which I wish… but I know it doesn't, sadly, lol)
If Zero hadn't been invited to play KH3 last year I would say there might be something there, but yeah it makes sense that he got a review copy.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
People don't actually hate dragon quest. They just don't want Erdrick in smash. I mean, I'm sure some people don't like it for real, but people weren't bashing it before it was expected for smash.
People brushed it aside before because it wasn't considered a serious request (despite appearing in Sakurai's most wanted poll back in Brawl days).

But yeah, now they're out for Erdrick's blood.
Amazing what poor marketing does to a series that ancient. I mean, how bad do you have to screw up the first time that you have to give away free copies of your game by subscribing to Nintendo Power.

And worse, how is it that 30 something years later, it's still marketed poorly? (Although XI is a big step forward).

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I just... can't see us getting another Square Enix character. Not after the way that Final Fantasy was represented.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just... can't see us getting another Square Enix character. Not after the way that Final Fantasy was represented.
For God's sake, just because Square Enix only put out the bare minimum for a character doesn't mean they don't want more of their characters in Smash.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
For God's sake, just because Square Enix only put out the bare minimum for a character doesn't mean they don't want more of their characters in Smash.
Thing is, they didn't even do the bare minimum. They went below that. Adding a bunch of non-remixed FF songs would have been effortless, yet they only have the two of them. For god's sake, he's one of the only fighters whose fighter spirit uses his Smash Ultimate render, despite having perfectly serviceable renders from his own series. To me, that suggests that Square Enix is very clingy of their property and Nintendo had to go to great lengths to even get him in the game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thing is, they didn't even do the bare minimum. They went below that. Adding a bunch of non-remixed FF songs would have been effortless, yet they only have the two of them. For god's sake, he's one of the only fighters whose fighter spirit uses his Smash Ultimate render, despite having perfectly serviceable renders from his own series. To me, that suggests that Square Enix is very clingy of their property and Nintendo had to go to great lengths to even get him in the game.
"they didn't even do the bare minimum"
Cloud got 2 full-fledged costumes, he got a normal one and even an Advent Children one
He got a personally tailored stage which is very accurate and includes numerous loved elements of his game

I get the lack of songs (which isn't even due to Squenix from what I understand it's issues with FF7's composers) and Spirits may make it seem Squenix refuses to mingle with Smash but if they did Cloud wouldn't be here.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Maybe Square Enix wanted to see how far they could regatear by getting the most with the very least.

Hopefully, Nintendo ups their game, and provides a better deal. But I think Yuji Horii is easier to deal with. Get him on board, Toriyama will follow, and Sugiyama too, (but provide the worst quality of his creations)

Edit: also, Cloud got the longest victory jingle, as it includes the "exp get" part of the song which replaces the Smash Bros original.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You can’t do less than the bare minimum.

you mean Mr. L
I wish Nintendo meant Mr. L.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, if we got a Mario RPG rep that wasn't Geno, Fawful would definitely be my top choice.

He has chortles, fury, and smashing.
Especially since Paper Mario still isn't a character.

:^)

Paper Mario is my Geno basically. It's been tough :^) but I deal with it by supporting other characters I'd love, like Erdrick or Dixie Kong. But yeah I'd love to see Fawful playable.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Especially since Paper Mario still isn't a character.

:^)

Paper Mario is my Geno basically. It's been tough :^) but I deal with it by supporting other characters I'd love, like Erdrick or Dixie Kong. But yeah I'd love to see Fawful playable.
Amen to that my friend.
The pain of holding out hope for Paper Mario for 4 years was too much which is part of the reason I advocate for Geno foremost now.
Hang in there.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What's everyone's favorite Square Enix game of all time?

Mine's probably Chrono Cross, actually .
(I know, most people like chrono trigger better)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mine's probably Crono Cross, actually .
FF Tactics. Absolutely fantastic story, on top of really great gameplay.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Do I need to spell it out? With my profile pic and everything? XP
Hahahaha

Chrono Cross is a game I need to play in its entirety. It didn't engage me as Trigger, but it was serviceable

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

At this point?

Nier Automata.
I personally think the original Nier edges it sliiiiiiiightly in terms of story, but that's totally eclipsed from how utterly fantastic the gameplay in Automata is.

Top Bottom