• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So these past 2 days weren't exactly fun for me, mostly on this thread.
Like, I'm kind of used to people making fun or hating the idea of my most wanted characters. But with the whole "rate the 7" game I just got a little frustrated.

Like, I have plenty of arguments to back DQ as a worthy inclusion to the Smash series. But one can't change how people feel about it, which is ok.

But then there's also the "he looks generic" - "he looks boring" - "plain-looking"
It drives me up the wall.
Maybe I give way too much credit to the art of Akira Toriyama, but that alone makes any DQ character stick like a giant green thumb from the rest of the cast. To me at least.
This is why I desperate wanted Erdrick or any DQ character last game. We would have gotten that sweet art piece from the original artist, and the contrast would have been that evident. (Especially if Link and Mario had been in the pic).

But again. Maybe I just give the art-style way too much credit. Maybe it's not enough.

But at least this warmed my heart.
Beautiful piece, Nekoo Nekoo you captured both characters perfectly! I've been drawing for almost 2 decades now, and I don't think I could pull that off! Thank you for the wonderful pic. You should expand it to the restos the 7! Or more.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Well Dai has officially leaked for real.
Aaaand this is what's currently keeping me sane. :) Everytime I see apathy and hate towards DQ, I turn to this image, and the pain goes away.

I'm mainly buying JUMP Force for Dai. But then again, maybe also for Kenshin and Shishio who have barely stepped on 3D game territory. I only hope it comes to Switch!

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I hope we end up getting a Smash Direct tbh
The last major Direct was a Smash Direct, wasn't it?
I hope we don't get a Smash Direct. We need more news for more games. 2019 is completely unknown. We need to know what's coming, updates and cool announcements.
Also, we can easily get Smash news in a normal Direct.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Not to be that guy but didn't you say indie direct? Or is that what a showcase is?
Nindies showcase = indie highlights in Europe. Nintendo of Europe has always called their version indie highlights, and they always air before NoA's. No idea why NoA is the only one to call them nindies, but ah well. So yes, they're essentially the same thing. That is what I was talking about.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Nindies showcase = indie highlights in Europe. Nintendo of Europe has always called their version indie highlights, and they always air before NoA's. No idea why NoA is the only one to call them nindies, but ah well. So yes, they're essentially the same thing. That is what I was talking about.
Not really. Recall last year, during which an Indie Highlights came not too long after an actual Nindies Direct. The latteractually is a direct, complete with info narrations and whatnot about each game. An Indie Highlights is just that; highlights. More so showing and less telling.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's freaking nindies, that's the whole point lol. Not the regular direct we are actually expecting, basically. Hopefully in the next weeks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The last major Direct was a Smash Direct, wasn't it?
I hope we don't get a Smash Direct. We need more news for more games. 2019 is completely unknown. We need to know what's coming, updates and cool announcements.
True. I was thinking we may get a Smash direct since there has been a pattern of one Smash Direct, a Nintendo Direct/ event that reveals a fighter the next month, then nothing the month after that, and a Smash Direct the next month.

We had the Nov 1 Smash Direct, then the VGAs which revealed one character, and I'm thinking we may get nothing in January and a Smash Direct in February.

That's a good point about the Switch games though.

Has your source specified whether it is a Nintendo Direct or Smash Direct that would come around the time of the Nindies showcase?

Last edited by a moderator:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Not really. Recall last year, during which an Indie Highlights came not too long after an actual Nindies Direct. The latteractually is a direct, complete with info narrations and whatnot about each game. An Indie Highlights is just that; highlights. More so showing and less telling.
No, they're the same thing.
Indie highlights is the NoE equivalent. It has a narrator, and it shows new game reveals. The narrator isn't there in person, but it's what NoE does. NoA uploads Nindies separately because they want to use an America host as opposed to a European one which NoE uses. That is why they come seperately. But they are both the same thing just with different reveals. That is what I was leaking.

I know KingZell. In fact, I messaged him about 5~ days ago. My source heard about a Nindies being this week too (which we got a couple days ago. I'll call it Nindies even though it's just the NoE equivalent, I'm too lazy to switch up names... lol). So I talked with him about it. Zell did surprisingly know about it a little bit before I did though. I'm interested in what kind of sources he has. He seemed nice when I talked to him.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
No, they're the same thing.
Indie highlights is the NoE equivalent. It has a narrator, and it shows new game reveals. The narrator isn't there in person, but it's what NoE does. NoA uploads Nindies separately because they want to use an America host as opposed to a European one which NoE uses. That is why they come seperately. But they are both the same thing just with different reveals.
I mean, by your own admission, they are different things. Different regions and they have different content. If Indie Highlights Showcase is what you were referring to, then okay, but they aren't the same thing. It can be misleading.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Like, I'm kind of used to people making fun or hating the idea of my most wanted characters. But with the whole "rate the 7" game I just got a little frustrated.

Like, I have plenty of arguments to back DQ as a worthy inclusion to the Smash series. But one can't change how people feel about it, which is ok.

But then there's also the "he looks generic" - "he looks boring" - "plain-looking"
Maybe I give way too much credit to the art of Akira Toriyama, but that alone makes any DQ character stick like a giant green thumb from the rest of the cast. To me at least.
This is why I desperate wanted Erdrick or any DQ character last game. We would have gotten that sweet art piece from the original artist, and the contrast would have been that evident. (Especially if Link and Mario had been in the pic).

But again. Maybe I just give the art-style way too much credit. Maybe it's not enough.

Beautiful piece, Nekoo Nekoo you captured both characters perfectly! I've been drawing for almost 2 decades now, and I don't think I could pull that off! Thank you for the wonderful pic. You should expand it to the restos the 7! Or more.

Aaaand this is what's currently keeping me sane. :) Everytime I see apathy and hate towards DQ, I turn to this image, and the pain goes away.

I'm mainly buying JUMP Force for Dai. But then again, maybe also for Kenshin and Shishio who have barely stepped on 3D game territory. I only hope it comes to Switch!
I feel you, but in my case, it's because of Sora. People keep saying he's an impossible pick because of Disney and try to refute every argument I give as to why that's not stopping him. People seem to hate Sora the most out of the Square 7. But still, don't let what people think affect you. Continue to support Erdrick and the DQ boys to your heart's content. I'll be doing the same for Sora. Let's both keep showing support to our favorites and not allow anyone to change our minds.

D

Deleted member

I feel you, but in my case, it's because of Sora. People keep saying he's an impossible pick because of Disney and try to refute every argument I give as to why that's not stopping him. People seem to hate Sora the most out of the Square 7. But still, don't let what people think affect you. Continue to support Erdrick and the DQ boys to your heart's content. I'll be doing the same for Sora. Let's both keep showing support to our favorites and not allow anyone to change our minds.
And I'll be doing the same with Geno :D

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I know KingZell. In fact, I messaged him about 5~ days ago. My source heard about a Nindies being this week too (which we got a couple days ago. I'll call it Nindies even though it's just the NoE equivalent, I'm too lazy to switch up names... lol). So I talked with him about it. Zell did surprisingly know about it a little bit before I did though. I'm interested in what kind of sources he has. He seemed nice when I talked to him.
KingZell seems pretty legit. You probably have semi-similar sources, or heck, he might even have someone higher up if he knew about Nindies a little earlier than your source did.

... I don't suppose you have any updates on the Geno rumor? :')

D

Deleted member

Probably unrelated to the current topic but it’s still technically Square related so hey. Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out in a few days. I’ve personally not played a Kingdom Hearts game, but I understand how big this is. I remember for the longest time KH3 was right up there REmake 2, Half-Life 3 and Duke Nukem Forever as the NEVER EVER games. And now two of this games are coming out within the same 7 days. It really seems like the fans are passionate about this series, and I really respect that.
So yeah, congratulation Kingdom Hearts fans. Here’s hoping Sora gets into smash for ya.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
KingZell seems pretty legit. You probably have semi-similar sources, or heck, he might even have someone higher up if he knew about Nindies a little earlier than your source did.

... I don't suppose you have any updates on the Geno rumor? :')
I wouldn't put all my eggs on KingZell, however. He has gotten things wrong. He did say there would be a November direct which showed off the N64 Mini, which we learned wasn't even being made back then. It makes me curious what kind of sources he has when they can get things that straight up wrong, but also some things very right very early.
Anyways, no, nothing on Geno.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

At worst, we could try to use more the Erdrick thread a bit more. I know it hasn't been used much, but it's a dedicated thread, just like geno fans are pretty active in the geno thread. Here's nice for any square enix fan tho :)

But yeah, let's try to get along and let people enjoy their favorite characters.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I wouldn't put all my eggs on KingZell, however. He has gotten things wrong. He did say there would be a November direct which showed off the N64 Mini, which we learned wasn't even being made back then. It makes me curious what kind of sources he has when they can get things that straight up wrong, but also some things very right very early.
Anyways, no, nothing on Geno.
Anything on any other character by any chance?

D

Deleted member

I personally do not want Erdrick but saying that he is Plain-Looking is not really true. There is a stark Contrast between the Smash artstyle and DQ's artstyle. Hell DQ is made by the most Iconic mangaka ever and Mr. Toriyama has a very unique artstyle that is also very appealing and colorful. I may not agree with people who want Erdrick in Smash but he would look very unique in Smash. Sorry for these past two days being rough on you dude but at least your character is looking super likely so cheer up!

D

Deleted member

At worst, we could try to use more the Erdrick thread a bit more. I know it hasn't been used much, but it's a dedicated thread, just like geno fans are pretty active in the geno thread. Here's nice for any square enix fan tho :)

But yeah, let's try to get along and let people enjoy their favorite characters.
I get ya, but its kind of annoying sometimes. I feel that I have read "Im sorry Erdrick fans but your character is [insert demeaning adjective here]" too many times. And most of the time it comes from fans of other characters particularly Geno or Sora fans.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I get ya, but its kind of annoying sometimes. I feel that I have read "Im sorry Erdrick fans but your character is [insert demeaning adjective here]" too many times. And most of the time it comes from fans of other characters particularly Geno or Sora fans.
It is annoying that there's so many people hoping it's not erdrick (not specifically about this thread, btw) to the point that it's kinda hateful. I get that you want your character, but can you consider that there's DQ fans around. I'm just a DQ fan in general, and that's part of why I'd love erdrick and the female alt. I find it hard to believe that there could be anlucia and luminary too, but if so **** that'd be awesome (for dq fans).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know you aren't talking about anyone specifically but Since I am Probably Guilty of doing this I want to Apologize about that. Most people just haven't played a DQ game and would rather have somebody they grew up with since many people grew up with either of those two characters. Still though I apologize.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Attachments

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well thanks to everyone for cheering me up.
In the end other than venting, I decided to channel my feelings in a different, perhaps more fun way.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8...x9ja-bdafbb3d-e5c6-4028-a358-1992919885f1.png

Meet Gerdrino. .... Or Sordrira.... Or Gerardrick?
Regardless, imposible not to like him now. :p
The site's acting up with some images, but should be able to see the images when using reply :)
- doesnt show up for me in the posts tho :/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know you aren't talking about anyone specifically but Since I am Probably Guilty of doing this I want to Apologize about that. Most people just haven't played a DQ game and would rather have somebody they grew up with since many people grew up with either of those two characters. Still though I apologize.
No need to apologize man. Your opinion is your opinion, and as long as you and others are chill about it it's all fine.
In the end other than venting, I decided to channel my feelings in a different, perhaps more fun way.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8...x9ja-bdafbb3d-e5c6-4028-a358-1992919885f1.png

Beautiful.

D

Deleted member

That is such incredible Art. Ironically seeing all those art pieces last night got me wondering about what an Erdrick and Geno fanart would look like, Looks brilliant. Really good job man!
No need to apologize man. Your opinion is your opinion, and as long as you and others are chill about it it's all fine.

Beautiful.
Also Thanks I just don't want to accidentally hurt other people's feelings or whatever since I wouldn't want others to do the same. Y'know the saying "Treat others how you would want to be Treated" I try to be fair in my opinions and not overly hating other characters just cause they aren't my personal wants.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Here's a thought, what if we took a break from bashing all the other characters we don't want to bash the character we most want?

i.e. As a Slime fan I would say that Slime is literally a blob of goo and he is as generic of a mook as generic mooks get.

Its the whole if you say it first it can't be used against you thing that some wise person probably once said.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord

That's hilarious! I like how the Geno costume and the Keyblade are adapted to the artstyle of Akira Toriyama. I also made another version of the Square 7 fusion I posted a few days ago. I blame the boredom for it.

https://i.imgur.com/pvhLure.png

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Umm. Well this is relevant for here:

This smash leak was apparently posted before 2.0 was announced soo
Also rip geno fans if true.
Can likely be just another fake attempt at a leak tho

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'm gonna need more than a screenshot of a 4chan post lol.

EDIT: "Afelgard?" That's not what you call that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please dont apologize, I feel at this point a lot of people already understand that a lot people dont like the idea of Erdrick. Only please we understood you the first time you said it, no need to repeat.
Here's a thought, what if we took a break from bashing all the other characters we don't want to bash the character we most want?

i.e. As a Slime fan I would say that Slime is literally a blob of goo and he is as generic of a mook as generic mooks get.

Its the whole if you say it first it can't be used against you thing that some wise person probably once said.
I feel we could all take a break.

Can likely be just another fake attempt at a leak tho
This must be true since its something I wanted to hear.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm gonna need more than a screenshot of a 4chan post lol.
This must be true since its something I wanted to hear.
Yeah, I liked seeing it, but I have to say it's just well put, and doesnt get too extreme. (Actually now that I've looked at it more, the dates for things dont make too much sense, releasing them way too soon too. would be amazing, but yeah..)
Still just a 4chan post
Ninty said it caught his eye cuz of the patch:

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Isaac and Elma have swords so therefor there's no way they could ever be unique or anything but generic.

Sans and Shovel Knight are from indie games and therefor suck because reasons.

Dixie Kong is just Diddy Kong in drag

Geno is only from some 20 year old game only boomers care about him

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
It was proven fake a few days ago. The misspelling of some names shows that it was typed instead of copied.

Instead of bashing characters, regardless of whether we want them or not, why don't we say why we like our favorite character of the Square 7 or their game? Even if you're bashing a character you like, some people may feel indirectly annoyed. I'll start.

Sora
Is one of my favorite video game characters, I feel in love with Kingdom Hearts 1 when I first played it. Visiting a lot of worlds from movies I watched as a kid while and fighting the heartless was awesome. I really liked the gameplay due to how it mixed RPGs with Action games. I could combo people with my basic attacks and finish them off with some powerful Final Fantasy magic, and it felt so satisfying. I also like the design of the Keyblades a lot. They're cool in a weird way. The game's colorful aura and action hooked me in the series, and I'm still a big fan to this day. Sora's personality is also something that helps making the experience more fun. He's lively and courageous, always being ready to help others while still being laid-back and playful. You can see this mostly on his fighting style, he wields powerful magic and equipment while still having a smile on his face and joking around. The star particles that appear when you're hitting something emphasized this playful nature of Sora.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That's hilarious! I like how the Geno costume and the Keyblade are adapted to the artstyle of Akira Toriyama. I also made another version of the Square 7 fusion I posted a few days ago. I blame the boredom for it.

https://i.imgur.com/pvhLure.png
Yes! Well, I tried at least. I even used Kid Erdrick since more people seem to like him better.

Oh that's awesome lol. I missed this one. Gotta love Crono's hair and the one-wing.

Did Geno always have that mark on his stomach?

D

Deleted member

It was proven fake a few days ago. The misspelling of some names shows that it was typed instead of copied.

Instead of bashing characters, regardless of whether we want them or not, why don't we say why we like our favorite character of the Square 7 or their game? Even if you're bashing a character you like, some people may feel indirectly annoyed. I'll start.

Sora
Is one of my favorite video game characters, I feel in love with Kingdom Hearts 1 when I first played it. Visiting a lot of worlds from movies I watched as a kid while and fighting the heartless was awesome. I really liked the gameplay due to how it mixed RPGs with Action games. I could combo people with my basic attacks and finish them off with some powerful Final Fantasy magic, and it felt so satisfying. I also like the design of the Keyblades a lot. They're cool in a weird way. The game's colorful aura and action hooked me in the series, and I'm still a big fan to this day. Sora's personality is also something that helps making the experience more fun. He's lively and courageous, always being ready to help others while still being laid-back and playful. You can see this mostly on his fighting style, he wields powerful magic and equipment while still having a smile on his face and joking around. The star particles that appear when you're hitting something emphasized this playful nature of Sora.
Please no, I dont want this to become geno thread 2.0.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Yes! Well, I tried at least. I even used Kid Erdrick since more people seem to like him better.

Oh that's awesome lol. I missed this one. Gotta love Crono's hair and the one-wing.

Did Geno always have that mark on his stomach?
It seems that both versions of him are equally popular.

Glad you like it lol. It's just some random stuff I put together with photoshop.

That's Luminary's birth mark. I couldn't find anything more interesting to take from his design so I added it instead.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Isaac and Elma have swords so therefor there's no way they could ever be unique or anything but generic.

Sans and Shovel Knight are from indie games and therefor suck because reasons.

Dixie Kong is just Diddy Kong in drag

Geno is only from some 20 year old game only boomers care about him
I can accept everything else you've said but no bad mouthing dixe yo

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Instead of bashing characters, regardless of whether we want them or not, why don't we say why we like our favorite character of the Square 7 or their game? I'll start.

Sora
Misspelling(not copying) doesn't disprove it, but everything around the dates makes it fake to me. They say joker and erdrick are ready for march, which wouldnt make sense. and Nintendo wouldn't make people wait half a month just because they didnt get the early registering or fighters pass. Also, there's some missing info.

When I was mostly rooting for Shantae, we rarely if ever got leaks for her except near the end. It's a new angle to see it in favor of a character I like, but it feels just as ****ty to feel like someone is trying to get attention and deceive people. Well, nothing lost or gained, I guess. Things are open, and that's good :)

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yeah, I liked seeing it, but I have to say it's just well put, and doesnt get too extreme. (Actually now that I've looked at it more, the dates for things dont make too much sense, releasing them way too soon too. would be amazing, but yeah..)
Still just a 4chan post
Ninty said it caught his eye cuz of the patch:

The thing about that post is how believable it all sounds. It's worded quite convincingly
A pity they wouldn't put more FF costumes.

EDIT: Oh. It seems to be fake.
My desperate thirst for info is blinding my own will to question everything I see. Maybe I'm exausted with my own work here. XP

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeaaaaaah, I don't know why anyone's putting any stock in fake 4chan leaks. They guessed the patch numbers right? Yeah, just like how that one guy guessed Joker correctly and we're getting Banjo along with Sylux and Edelgard, except... not.

That thing is definitely fake, and it's evident by the amount of piggybacking it does with odd dates and things that don't line up.

That being said...

If we're here to roast our favorites of the Square Seven — Geno, stop applying to be in Smash. Seriously, it's your fault for leaving for twenty years after your job was done, only to be like, "C-Can I be playable, too?" Boy, stop.

D

Deleted member

Yeah since my last two posts did not appear in this thread I'm just gonna say what I accidentally said in the Social thread since I kinda got there for unknown reasons and it confuses me beyond belief since I had this thread and the Geno thread open in two tabs but not that thread anyways that's besides the point in-case it did not show up:

I do not belive that Leak for a second. It guessed something correct sure but that happened with the Richter+Gardevoir+Gothitelle leak and has happened many times like when every fake leak put K. Rool in their leak before the August direct, doesn't mean they were correct just that they incidentally got something right.

Edit: formatting

Top Bottom