• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Think about it... Sakurai said he already had a moveset for Geno
thinks very carefully

Ahh yes I forgot Geno's iconic grenade launch
And his trademark summoning of a flame pillar
And his rocket jump of course
Of course the notorious echo reflector as well

Ahh I'm, so ****in stupid you right man

(/s)

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Lightning’s popularity in Japan is a meme guys.
Even Square said they don’t get the strange attachment towards her among the internet.
And remember, it’s not Lightning who’s really popular. It’s Lightning-san. This is important.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Even Square said they don’t get the strange attachment towards her among the internet.
And remember, it’s not Lightning who’s really popular. It’s Lightning-san. This is important.
well there's something that me and japan can agree on is lighting being a meme

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsū_scores

Scroll down to "readers' 100 all-time favorite games," from 2006. Final Fantasy VII is ranked #2.

And hey, look at who's #3.

Dragon Quest 3.

HMMMMMMMMM.
He's coming home, boys! With his Nintendo family!

Sorry, sorry, just excited to see that my 2 favorite DQ games are listed there back to back.
The wait is killing me. Just remove the bandaid already. I'll humbly accept the outcome no matter what it is. Just end this torture already.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He's coming home, boys! With his Nintendo family!

Sorry, sorry, just excited to see that my 2 favorite DQ games are listed there back to back.
The wait is killing me. Just remove the bandaid already. I'll humbly accept the outcome no matter what it is. Just end this torture already.
Can he bring Eight with him

D

Deleted member

That's quite a bit of a relief honestly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
was 7 that popular over there dang i just thought the west really loved it
I know nothing about FF but isn't 7 like the most iconic one?
It's FF7
Literally everyone and their grandma know FF7
It's pop-culture like Pac-man, Sonic, Mario and such, Sephiroth and Cloud have been parodied to death.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It's FF7
Literally everyone and their grandma know FF7
It's pop-culture like Pac-man, Sonic, Mario and such, Sephiroth and Cloud have been parodied to death.
I just thought Japan had a different favorite I know the west loves it to death

D

Deleted member

I can understand most NES/SNES FF games not being as popular(FFIV makes MN9 look like a polished gem) but c'mon, FFVI is so ****ing good: a grand and beautifully written narrative, plenty of content, a bunch of playable characters with unique gimmicks, and an actually polished game.
More people need to play this game because it's just a purely great JRPG experience and the only thing I'd ever say can top it is Chrono Trigger but it's kinda unfair to compare the two because CT was literally built on top of FFVI and everything that made it so great.

D

Deleted member

Caught up on the thread, the recent developments seem to leave doubt about it being Erdrick or at least Adult Eddy which by and large does not rule out Kid/Chibi Eddy or a different version of him, but if it were ME making the Codename for Eddy or any other character I personally would make it something not related to the character in question cause while the Codename was never supposed to get out in the first place why not take the extra precaution just in case it does leak, hell that's what Codenames are for in the first place right? to hide the character?

anyways I'll put my thoughts in a Spoiler tab cause there's a lot I wanna say:
Recently with people digging into the Data and comparing it to the characters we already have in the game the character entitled "Brave" seems to be Approximately Sa- Ness sized which does not instantly rule out Erdrick as a whole sure it rules out Mr. Adult Erdrick but not Kid/Chibi Erdrick or a Slouching Erdrick which in turn with the size comparison it raises Geno's and Slime's/Whoever's chances. In my mind there are four possibilities to who this character is 1) He's in. It's some form of Erdrick. 2) It's a Tales Of character 3) It's a different character as a whole like Sans or someone or 4) Nintendo did a galaxy brain play and it turns out to be Geno/Another Square rep.

the first option still is by and large the most likely scenario but the character APPARENTLY fitting how a Zoner plays and that he's slightly smaller than Mario gives me a VERY slight glimmer of hope for it being Geno as cannonically Geno is slightly smaller than Mario, Geno in game has never hit an opponent with his Bare fists which would make him fit the Zoner archetype IIRC and as Slender Slender pointed out in the Geno thread and this is just paraphrasing but he/she basically stated that the Code labelled the fighter with "fighter_Skin_kind_Bio" which only appears with specific character like R.O.B, Samus/Dark Samus and Mega-Man which appears to be a Metal Specifier and everyone in the bio group is made of Biological material Humans, Animals, Plants and yes WOOD is a biological Material which Geno is obviously made out of that which is why he slides he is made out of Wood has a tendency to slide when moving fast.

of course this is all speculation but it adds up except why would the Codename be Brave? Easy, to mislead people into thinking it's a different character sure the past two DLC characters have been straightforward but there's no proof that the previous character codenames weren't changed after being revealed to show who the real character is, and while that's a long shot and just a hypothetical there (from my knowledge) is no proof debunking that hypothetical situation. and let's say there is proof of that not being the case they could start doing that at any point in the future or in the present. Anyways even if it isn't my boy Geno it could be different characters.

like Yuri lowell from Tales of Vesperia who as people in this very thread brought up is SO popular in the Tales of fanbase that She is disqualified from Popularity polls! that's crazy! I don't really have to go too in-depth with this do I? we all know about the pros going for her to the point people expect either Eddy or Yuri as the two frontrunners of who "Brave" May be. Yuri is insanely popular as people have pointed out, Leakers like Polarpanda have been talking about how Namco-Bandai may get another Rep and that Lloyd and Yuri are in the running to the point they're the only two Namco reps being taken seriously and whatnot.

Even Mr. Funny man haha Skeleton Sans Undertale fits the data of "Brave" with the Data looking like a zoner and Sans can use Magic as Zoning with him throwing Bones and shooting Gaster Blasters and whatnot and well, Sans is Ness so they obviously would be a similar size /s no but for real Sans could be a Zoner with the attacks he uses and He does seem to be the size of Toon Link/Ness if he were to be in Smash. Plus IF we were to talk about how Sakurai likes DQ being a point in Eddy's favor it also applies to Sans as Sakurai has stated he enjoyed playing Undertale in one of his Famitsu articles.

now with me talking about how other characters could still be likely case and point My Boy Geno, the recent developments also don't totally count out Erdrick with him having a multitude of different designs throughout the years from a chibi version which COULD be the size of Ness to his multitude of other designs, I don't really want to get in-depth about this as I'm lazy and not passionate about Erdrick like I am with Geno at all and we all know Erdrick is far, FAR from being unlikely and is still without a doubt in the running as the most likely character with Square probably wanting to push DQ in the west and Sakurai being a fan of DQ, Leakers being all for Erdrick being in like Polar, Hitagi (even though I don't take this dude seriously anymore), and Verge talking about how Erdrick is the most likely guy by far.

with all that said I want to finish up here by saying to the fans of other characters, Erdrick may be the most likely guy Right now but there's a possibility it's not him, there's always a possibility even when all hope is lost there always is a chance no matter how slight. If it is him we may not win this DLC but maybe if there's a season 2, if not then there's always next game. Geno will eventually come we all thought K. Rool was never gonna happen, he happened. we all thought Ridley was too big, He wasn't. don't lose hope no matter how doom and gloom it is right now. and to fans of other Square characters like Sora, You guys are HUGE Sora is a big name character in this day and Age of gaming if Sakurai could get you guys I'm sure he eventually without a doubt will just give him time and He'll eventually come like Geno will.

and to Erdrick fans, if "Brave" really is Erdrick while I'm not a fan of DQ at all (I tried one of the games and I got lost and couldn't progress and it was kinda boring) DQ is without a doubt the only big JRPG series not yet in Smash and DQ is super influential to this very day. it is THE JRPG series it's the one that fathered in JRPG's/RPG's in general, I may have wanted Geno and will be admittedly dissapointed if DQ really gets in over Geno for how long people have been clamoring and rooting for Geno you guys won fair in Square (No pun intended). GG's guys GG's. Hope you guys enjoy Erdrick guess IF "Brave" Really is DQ guess I'll move to my second most wanted character which is Banjo who IMO is looking like the most likely Microsoft rep right now. But if "Brave" Isn't DQ While I would be happy I'm sorry you guys got so close to getting Erdrick/Whoever yet to get yeeted upon from Square. as I stated with Geno/Sora you're time will come eventually just give it time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I did find something interesting though;

It has to be Adult Erdrick as Tansut stated Erdrick has a male and female alt; there is no female kid/chibi Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

also Forgot to mention one other thing in my previous post and it's something I see people not bring up, The stats MAY Change but they likely won't be completely different from what it is now, They may shrink or size up the model very slightly but I don't think they'd completely discard what looks to be a completely unique set of data. Let's say the character really is Ness sized they won't take a character who is Ness sized and size him up to be Link sized cause it would look absolutely hideous and weird. This is Speculation but the Model size couldn't change drastically cause of the deadline of when the final character being revealed/released is. It's January/Febuary 2020 that's a year to a year and one month from now they wouldn't be able to completely overhaul a character in just one year and factoring in they have three more characters to work on it just seems unlikely. small stuff will definitely change in the future like the speed or the damage output or whatever but I just can't see how something like an entire character model would drastically change in one year when they have to also work on three whole other characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have two questions right now, from what I've been reading.

1) Where do people get the idea from that Brave stats point to a zoner? I mean, other than him sharing similar stats to actual zoner characters?

2) I'm confused where we all stand now. Is Brave/Yuusha way too obvious to be Erdrick? Or way too vague to be Erdrick?
And doesn't the fact that I'm asking this question mean they've done a good job in throwing us off?
:p

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

1) Where do people get the idea from that Brave stats point to a zoner? I mean, other than him sharing similar stats to actual zoner characters?

2) I'm confused where we all stand now. Is Brave/Yuusha way too obvious to be Erdrick? Or way too vague to be Erdrick?
And doesn't the fact that I'm asking this question mean they've done a good job in throwing us off?
1) They literally just compared him to other zoners. There's no other evidence for it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I can understand most NES/SNES FF games not being as popular(FFIV makes MN9 look like a polished gem) but c'mon, FFVI is so ****ing good: a grand and beautifully written narrative, plenty of content, a bunch of playable characters with unique gimmicks, and an actually polished game.
More people need to play this game because it's just a purely great JRPG experience and the only thing I'd ever say can top it is Chrono Trigger but it's kinda unfair to compare the two because CT was literally built on top of FFVI and everything that made it so great.
FF5 and 6 should have both gotten remakes on the 3DS like 1-4 got. It’s unfortunate.

Again, keep in mind PAL regions didn’t even get these older games; 7 set the standard for JRPGs on a global scale.

D

Deleted member

I think it's just the stats which in my humble opinion makes the character being a Zoner Possible not 100% one way or another but Possible.

and two we're in the waiting game right now I think.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm still in the boat that we're getting bamboozled somehow.
Oh no

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's most likely going to be someone no one in this thread sees coming. Whatever Sakurai's second pick is, he's managed to get someone to handily play 4-D chess with the leakers.
Oh NO

Again, the reason we are thinking it could be Geno is because he fits the stats of brave, and because of this, we are thinking that brave could be the codename of something no one would think references it. Geno doesn't have a reference to brave, so it may be unexpected.

That's why I'm thinking it could, again, be someone no one guesses or thinks has a relation to. Yes, jack has a connection to Joker, but no one still would have guessed that it is referring to him. I'm thinking brave could be the same way. We don't think brave has a connection to Geno, therefore the codename wouldn't make sense.

Also no one is saying it definitely is, we are just saying it could be this way
NOT AGAIN

Verge: "I waited until I heard it from all of my sources, but Incineroar is in."
Insiders: "This can't be real, our sources say Incineroar is in."

I'd be pretty willing to say Verge was real the whole time, but that Incineroar is legitimate bait. IIRC going into Ultimate Decidueye was by far the most popular Gen 7 Pokemon and the most sensible one to 'leak', so in stark contrast Incineroar makes sense as an intentional bait character.

This is by no means confirmed, just my opinion. Someone higher up may have used Incineroar as failsafe to keep the roster from leaking, or covering it up if it did, and in a way, it must be working if every insider and their mother is plugging their ears just because 'muh Incineroar.'
I know history repeats itself but I didn't expect it to be that fast. We are now in a state of denying the words of leakers, insisting some kind of big brain leakbait trap has been set, claiming that Nintendo 'would have learned how to hide things better by now' (does [THE BOX] ring any bells?), and dismissing patterns because 'they don't really matter' (again, [THE BOX] rears its ugly face).

Just that fast we've come full circle and are in full-on doubt mode on every front for virtually no reason. I figured I made enough of a fool of myself that people would learn from my mistake, but here we are again.

D

Deleted member

Serious question here, everyone understands what a zoner is right? And that it doesnt has anything to do with weapons that the character has right?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Serious question here, everyone understands what a zoner is right? And that it doesnt has anything to do with weapons that the character has right?
"Zoner": character who's based around keeping distance from the opponent through projectiles or long-range weapons. Do I get a cookie?

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Oh no

Oh NO

NOT AGAIN

I know history repeats itself but I didn't expect it to be that fast. We are now in a state of denying the words of leakers, insisting some kind of big brain leakbait trap has been set, claiming that Nintendo 'would have learned how to hide things better by now' (does [THE BOX] ring any bells?), and dismissing patterns because 'they don't really matter' (again, [THE BOX] rears its ugly face).

Just that fast we've come full circle and are in full-on doubt mode on every front for virtually no reason. I figured I made enough of a fool of myself that people would learn from my mistake, but here we are again.
Where's my dislike button

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think it's just the stats which in my humble opinion makes the character being a Zoner Possible not 100% one way or another but Possible.

Ah alright fair enough!

TBH, Im really skeptical regarding Brave being Erdrick.
I believe that the datamine stats kind of there a Monkey wrench to my faith, because assuming the character is Ness-sized, and Tansut said the character (he never mentioned DQ, we all just assumed he did imo) could swap between Male and female versions.

Both of these clash because there is no oficial chibi female Erdrick. So for me Brave is either a Monster Hunter character. Or... a DQ Builder character?
I don't know. We're also all assuming Brave is a zoner. But if Prince Sable was a PC, he'd fit these stats alright, and be a rushdown character.

Too many contradicting factors is what i'm seeing. I'm not that certain we're getting a DQ character. Or hey, I can at least hope it's Slime... Or a Builder *inb4 too many animu hammer wielders*

D

Deleted member

You know that Link is classified as a zoner and that has nothing to do with his stats or that he is a swordsman right?

I'm saying that trying to guess the character playstyle based on mere stats doesnt give enough to go and make assumptions. Trying to fit a character to stats is pointless as we dont know how the stats are used or how they are implemented.
"Zoner": character who's based around keeping distance from the opponent through projectiles or long-range weapons. Do I get a cookie?
Dont have one, but have a like. Great job man.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I know nothing about FF but isn't 7 like the most iconic one?
FF7 is so popular that everyone knows the story behind it. You don't even need to play the game to know the story, where it's gotten to the point that even Square don't even try to hide the known death scene in the game anymore! They reference it every single chance they get. I say it's quite an iconic game, everyone just knows it even people that don't really know much about Final Fantasy, but they will more than likely know about 7.

Last edited:

It's just speculations. People are just throwing ideas around and discussing, we don't need to come to a definitive and correct conclusion before the reveal...

Idk, maybe you're taking this a bit too seriously... i mean the stakes are not that high...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Something to note about that Famitsu reader poll is that it's from 2006. Things have changed then, so it'd be nice if we were able to get more accurate data.

D

Deleted member

You know that Link is classified as a zoner and that has nothing to do with his stats or that he is a swordsman right?

I'm saying that trying to guess the character playstyle based on mere stats doesnt give enough to go and make assumptions. Trying to fit a character to stats is pointless as we dont know how the stats are used or how they are implemented.

Dont have one, but have a like. Great job man.
Yeah, That's fair stats don't give us enough to make assumptions as it's kinda open-ended right now but the stats are the best thing we can go off of to find out who the character might be right now even if the stats say one thing is this way we need to be critical of everything as we don't know how the stats are implemented.

D

Deleted member

I still don't know why the "Shorter than Luigi" Stuff is still being thrown around like it matters. Hell, far as I can see, Ike with Brave's stats put him at slightly shorter than Lucina when he's normally slightly taller.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sp...fighter-datamined.91160/page-56#post-16643397

Remember, without a model or idle stance, that height value doesn't mean anything.
Dunno considering we have a lot of incomplete info, so people just like to speculate I guess. Funny thing is that if thats "brave" actual height, it makes things interesting.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Not quite sure why that point is relevant to Erdrick's stats but, go off
(not @ u Psy)
Eh. It’s probably something along the lines of “leakers didn’t know about Joker, so why would they know about Erdrick”

Again while I do see the merit in that argument (since I am pretty much known as the skeptic around here), I do think there’s enough precedent to at least, to a certain degree, expect Erdrick

Definitely NOT enough to go all in, but enough to make him a frontrunner.

Top Bottom