• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Something to keep in mind just in case is that Toriyama has a particular style when it comes to the dynamics of his characters.
So I expect a DQ character to have a movement flow and animations unlike any other.

So where i'm trying to get to with this is... That I wonder if Erdrick were to have those exact same stats as Brave, could it be that his idle stance would be something like this?
(If he was the grown up version).

Attachments

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I can't imagine why it would be. There are plenty of examples of DQ characters animated in 3D (VIII, XI, the Heroes games), and unless they're martial artists they don't really animate like martial artists.

If there's gonna be a big "hey look it's the DBZ guy" reference, it'll be the tension or pep system so he can do a big screaming power-up aura pose.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Here's an idea that maybe people can sink their teeth into. What if you applied the placeholder stats to non geno/erdrick square characters? What would their playstyle be like, and how would their expected moveset work within the range of the stats? Who would fit the height and weight requirements. Imagine Vivi, for instance using the brave stats.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Call me crazy... but I think Mii Gunner’s moveset was actually intended for Geno, but since Sakurai couldn’t get him he made it for the mii gunner instead.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It it's gonna be a tales character, It'd more likely be lloyd.
I'm going to agree with Xigger Xigger here. The times have changed. Yuri is and always has been one of the most popular Tales characters since his creation to the point that he is banned in the Tales Fest's popularity polls alongside Leon. It's not like Yuri's only popular in Japan either, He's by far the most popular Tales of character. If you want to appeal to the Tales fan, Yuri makes far more sense. Lloyd is who you choose when you want to appeal to the Nintendo nerd.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lloyd wasn't just chosen as a Mii costume as is. He was the only choice because he's the only one with enough worldwide appeal that would make sense to represent Tales of Symphonia. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a costume, AT, or playable character. He didn't act like there was any other realistic choice for Tales of representation. And that happened during the DLC period. It probably hasn't changed in 4 years all that much. Lloyd's still a huge top gun for a Tales of character. Yuri I'm sure will be considered, but there's not much going for that character right now over Lloyd.

Dynamic Worlok

Call me crazy... but I think Mii Gunner’s moveset was actually intended for Geno, but since Sakurai couldn’t get him he made it for the mii gunner instead.
That makes so much sense in an alternate universe where absolutely any of the mii gunner's moves are in any way analagous to Geno's moves.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's certainly not how he's marketed. He's marketed as: Big Shield + Sword + Armor. That's what most of his move set would be. Obviously special move's are free game, but that's what he would be built around, just like Simon is built around his whip and Samus is built around her blaster. And Brave is too weird and floaty to fit.
This is like saying Link is only Marketed with the Master Sword and Hylian shield so using bombs, Bows and the Boomerang are out of the question.

Lloyd wasn't just chosen as a Mii costume as is. He was the only choice because he's the only one with enough worldwide appeal that would make sense to represent Tales of Symphonia. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a costume, AT, or playable character. He didn't act like there was any other realistic choice for Tales of representation. And that happened during the DLC period. It probably hasn't changed in 4 years all that much. Lloyd's still a huge top gun for a Tales of character. Yuri I'm sure will be considered, but there's not much going for that character right now over Lloyd.
Except for the fact that he's by far more popular than Lloyd.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is like saying Link is only Marketed with the Master Sword and Hylian shield so using bombs, Bows and the Boomerang are out of the question.

Except for the fact that he's by far more popular than Lloyd.
Yeah seriously.
Lloyd is much more known in the Smash bubble, but in the Tales bubble they had to ban Yuri from popularity contests because he won so much.
At least from what I've been told.

Untouch

Smash Master
Mii Gunner is a mix of Samus' moves and Fox's moves.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah seriously.
Lloyd is much more known in the Smash bubble, but in the Tales bubble they had to ban Yuri from popularity contests because he won so much.
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/04/tales-festival-2017-character-popularity-poll-results/

As a reminder, you won’t see Yuri Lowell (from Tales of Vesperia) and Leon Magnus (from Tales of Destiny) in these polls, as they’re in the Tales of Festivalshall of fame” for having finished on top on multiple occasions as fan-favorites.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah seriously.
Lloyd is THE Nintendo Tales of character, anyway. Nintendo is selling DLC focused to the Nintendo audience mostly because, hell, Smash is on Nintendo, nowhere else, and that audience has played more the 2 Symphonia titles we got (gamecube and wii, two different gens right there). Of course many might play more than one company consoles, but the main approach is the Nintendo audience nonetheless so Lloyd is more of a safe bet for Nintendo. Yuri's game might be doing great and all but it's very fresh on the Nintendo consoles so there isn't a large fanbase rooting for him as there is for Lloyd (it's easy to just check out who is being rooted for Smash more). Hence why probably Sakurai said what he said about Lloyd. I wouldn't mind whichever as long as we get a Tales of rep, but I think Lloyd has way more going for him Nintendo related and all.
Anyways… this isn't really about the whole SE situation anyway, lol.

D

Deleted member

The Miis movesets are pretty much universal movesets, so that they could apply the costumes more easily. Hope we get a few cool DLC ones.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Which is exactly why we got Joker and Cloud
You can't apply the same logic to everyone. You would already fail at it if you tried to. Plus both Joker and Cloud were already on Nintendo consoles ( PQ and KH Chain of memories) and they are way more huge than Yuri to both fans and non fans of their franchises. Yuri, believe it or not, is still a literal who to many western Nintendo fans since they have only played both of the Symphonia titles. Vesperia is just starting to come to the Switch recently. Which would get more attention worldwide and assure Nintendo fans to buy? Lloyd, who has been around for multiple gens (and has even been on other crossover games such as Soul Calibur) and is THE literal nintendo Tales of known character… or Yuri, who i just described what he is on this side of the earth?… Also, Sakurai also went on why he chose Cloud and not another FF rep. Sounds familiar? Sakurai going on why "this character" and not someone else? Yeah, he did the same with Lloyd. If Nintendo wants to sell well with Tales of, Lloyd makes the most sense worldwide. When the game director has already gone out and say it (not so long ago, btw), there isn't much more to discuss about it. And like I said before, I don't care which one gets in, but Lloyd still has more reasons and sense for coming in, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
You can't apply the same logic to everyone. You would already fail at it if you tried to. Plus both Joker and Cloud were already on Nintendo consoles ( PQ and KH Chain of memories) and they are way more huge than Yuri to both fans and non fans of their franchises. Yuri, believe it or not, is still a literal who to many western Nintendo fans since they have only played both of the Symphonia titles. Vesperia is just starting to come to the Switch recently. Which would get more attention worldwide and assure Nintendo fans to buy? Lloyd, who has been around for multiple gens (and has even been on other crossover games such as Soul Calibur) and is THE literal nintendo Tales of known character… or Yuri, who i just described what he is on this side of the earth?… Also, Sakurai also went on why he chose Cloud and not another FF rep. Sounds familiar? Sakurai going on why "this character" and not someone else? Yeah, he did the same with Lloyd. If Nintendo wants to sell well with Tales of, Lloyd makes the most sense worldwide. When the game director has already gone out and say it (not so long ago, btw), there isn't much more to discuss about it. And like I said before, I don't care which one gets in, but Lloyd still has more reasons and sense for coming in, that's all I'm saying.
Joker doesn't have ANY games on Nintendo consoles in the West. Smash will be his first one, especially since we have localization confirmation of PQ2.

Yuri has both Prpject X Zone games, and I'm pretty sure he plays a major role in both of them

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Which is exactly why we got Joker and Cloud
Either you're too young to understand why Cloud appeals to the Nintendo audience or you've blinded yourself from the fanbase during the Brawl days.
He has been at the top of the FF characters list, the most modded character for Brawl and the one who we were expecting to show up in the N64. And we're getting his game very soon, so you could even look at him in the game as a gift to the Nintendo audience that would eventually receive such franchise in the future. That is the exact same logic for Joker btw. I bet you any ammount of money that P5 is coming to the Switch.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Joker doesn't have ANY games on Nintendo consoles in the West. Smash will be his first one, especially since we have localization confirmation of PQ2.

Yuri has both Prpject X Zone games, and I'm pretty sure he plays a major role in both of them
Regardless of localization, PQ2 already exists, hence why I said he is on a NIntendo console, even if it hasn't come to the west yet (Remember Corrin? yeah... ).

Despite of that about Yuri, it doesn't take away all what's going on way more for Lloyd + Sakurai's on word on him lately, similarly to what happened to Cloud. Anyways, this is derailing from the SE discussion. Moving on.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
If it was Yuri, then they missed a perfect opportunity to reveal him right as the game was coming out for Switch. Next one I have to admit is probably Erdrick, possibly alongside more news about DQXI for Switch, maybe the western release will be announced. The Namco character is probably Lloyd because of complications with Heihachi's playstyle and his VA dying recently. Altho I would prefer someone more unique than Lloyd, like something totally bizarre like the Prince of All Cosmos.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Btw, that rumor of having a Direct between July 7th and 14th is dead.
But, I still have a feeling we'll get one later this week.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
If it was Yuri, then they missed a perfect opportunity to reveal him right as the game was coming out for Switch.
No way, that would be a repeat of Corrin getting announced for Smash before his game released (in America). It would be better to wait at least a month after his first Nintendo game to announce him in Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not saying that, obviously. But it would be a misrepresentation of Erdrick if the sword and the big *** shield weren't the foundation of his moveset. It's like if Link fought mainly with ocarina spells. It's somthing he does; but it's not what he's KNOWN for. He's known for the master sword; and lately he's been getting into archery as well. That's what makes Link, Link.
Why would Erdrick being a Mage swordfighter be a misrepresentation of his character when

A) it’s what he is in the game itself.
B) there is no fanbase that would rage against him using magic.
C) he is the quintessential representative for the Hero class, which is known for using magic and weapons alike.

D

Deleted member

If Yuri didn't end up as the Tales rep, it'd be pretty hypocritical of Sakurai to have included Cloud for being the most popular despite lacking "Nintendo appeal".

Dynamic Worlok

EDIT: disregard. I looked up the quote in question and proved my own argument wrong.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
With DQXI S and Builders 2's localizations both up in the air, there's a perfect opportunity to do a big release schedule game plan in a Direct, which would go perfectly with a Smash reveal. It's a tempting thought, but my experience with Square Enix tells me to be as pessimistic as possible when it comes to this stuff.

No way, that would be a repeat of Corrin getting announced for Smash before his game released (in America). It would be better to wait at least a month after his first Nintendo game to announce him in Smash.
That's a very different situation, though, since Yuri's not brand new. Being able to say he's already a fan-favourite character from a fan-favourite game means a lot, even if that game is only just now coming out on a Nintendo machine.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If Yuri didn't end up as the Tales rep, it'd be pretty hypocritical of Sakurai to have included Cloud for being the most popular despite lacking "Nintendo appeal".
I don’t know, I think while Yuri is more popular with the Tales fandom, Lloyd is better known with casual audiences and non-Tales fans.

Like, I think if you polled hardcore Final Fantasy fans what protagonist is the most popular I think Terra or Zidane would win, not Cloud.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Not really. And Sakurai has already laughed off Yuri in a way that made me think that, at least from the perspective of his generation or whatever, Lloyd is the "obvious choice". But then again, Nintendo is making the choices this time, so idk.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only direct I'm confident in appearing is one on June...

Because it's the damn E3 direct.

D

Deleted member

With DQXI S and Builders 2's localizations both up in the air, there's a perfect opportunity to do a big release schedule game plan in a Direct, which would go perfectly with a Smash reveal. It's a tempting thought, but my experience with Square Enix tells me to be as pessimistic as possible when it comes to this stuff.
DQB2 hasn't been explicitly confirmed yet right? I remember it was only mentioned in the earnings reports. I can imagine being officially announced in an upcoming direct which hopefully includes DQIXS localization as well.
i wonder what polarpanda has to say about that probably bad info
If I remember right, Polar wasn't too sure about the dates and only mentioned as a possibility heard.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t know, I think while Yuri is more popular with the Tales fandom, Lloyd is better known with casual audiences and non-Tales fans.

Like, I think if you polled hardcore Final Fantasy fans what protagonist is the most popular I think Terra or Zidane would win, not Cloud.
In a Japanese poll for Final Fantasy characters, Cloud won by a landslide, it wasn't even close:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/80my85/recent_nico_popularity_polls_favourite_ff/

Terra and Zidane were at the bottom, actually (although I think Zidane would fare better in a western poll).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
DQB2 hasn't been explicitly confirmed yet right? I remember it was only mentioned in the earnings reports. I can imagine being officially announced in an upcoming direct which hopefully includes DQIXS localization as well.

If I remember right, Polar wasn't too sure about the dates and only mentioned as a possibility heard.
so he was sure of this month just not the dates?

D

Deleted member

In a Japanese poll for Final Fantasy characters, Cloud won by a landslide, it wasn't even close:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/80my85/recent_nico_popularity_polls_favourite_ff/

Terra and Zidane were at the bottom, actually (although I think Zidane would fare better in a western poll).
Its a disappointing seeing Lightning that high, she is my least favorite protag by far but whatever.
so he was sure of this month just not the dates?
Polar never said anything about explicitly hearing any incoming direct whatsoever, only mentioned a rumor about a Direct that was porbably held between the 7 and the 14 of January and if I recall Polar mentioned that he hasn't heard anything from any NoA source.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The usual days of a Nintendo direct in January are between the 10th and 20th, so this next week is going to be it if there is one. If not then probably none at all in January, unless this is a first time where they do it in late month, but i doubt it cause they always aim for mid month for most directs anyway. I think we will finally know if we're getting one or not during this next week already.

D

Deleted member

For sure, and so would Terra. FFVI is actually the least popular of the SNES FF games in Japan, while here it's the most popular.
Its a disappointing seeing Lightning that high, she is my least favorite protag by far but whatever.

Polar never said anything about explicitly hearing any incoming direct whatsoever, only mentioned a rumor about a Direct that was porbably held between the 7 and the 14 of January and if I recall Polar mentioned that he hasn't heard anything from any NoA source.
I never will understand Japan's collective hardon for Lightning. Probably to do with SE pushing her down everyone's throats around the time the FFXIII games were being released.
But, if they like her then more power to them I guess. Maybe I just don't see something they do.
The usual days of a Nintendo direct in January are between the 10th and 20th, so this next week is going to be it if there is one. If not then probably none at all in January, unless this is a first time where they do it in late month, but i doubt it cause they always aim for mid month for most directs anyway. I think we will finally know if we're getting one or not during this next week already.
I guess all we can currently do is wait and see what happens. If a Direct is happening this month I would bet on it being closer to the end of the month.

StormC

Smash Hero
For sure, and so would Terra. FFVI is actually the least popular of the SNES FF games in Japan, while here it's the most popular.
Quick look at Google, here's a western poll of 169 votes:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/12/poll_who_is_the_best_final_fantasy_protagonist

Cloud wins again, but Zidane is behind him, then it's Lightning, Squall, and Tidus/Noctis. Terra is still pretty low. Honestly the post-Nintendo protagonists will always dominate with the benefit of them coming from the era where FF hit the mainstream in the west. FF7 was the first game in PAL regions, too.

Top Bottom