• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't get why some of you guys can't just accept it's Erdrick. "Cynicism" or "hope" don't really matter for Smash speculation, our discussions are 100% meaningless at the end of the day, the goal here is to find the most logical outcome based on the info we have to properly set expectations. Arguing on how much you think Erdrick is a boring choice to you, in particular, won't change the fact he's the one that's likely coming.
While there is no doubt the topic of Erdircks intrest or lack there of has been discussed to death, the discussion has brought actual points to both sides, both for and to its detriment. There is no room to say it is absolutely one or the other, especially when the foundation is a leak like this. The discussion will continue, till we see the truth with our own eyes.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just throwing this out there.
Armor Project is only involved with Dragon Quest >>gameplay<<, so unless they have some Dragon Quest Mode in Smash, don't expect Armor Project to be in the credits.

There have been plenty of (all non-rpg) DQ spinoffs that AP isn't involved with. On the other hand, every RPG from the Main or sub-series, involves them.

And Bird Studio doing the character design or at least holding rights to the designs isn't anything really new, nor a significant obstacle in DQ's path. That's always how they rolled, and that's not going to change soon. Horii and Toriyama are business partners and Friends.

As far as Amiibo go, people underestimate hungry DQ fans who can't go to Japan or Pay >$70 for a single DQ figure. Amiibo will sell like hotcakes.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
As far as Amiibo go, people underestimate hungry DQ fans who can't go to Japan or Pay >$70 for a single DQ figure. Amiibo will sell like hotcakes.
Never even thought about amiiibo, would be strange having a fairly easy to access figure of a main dragon quest hero, if the alts are other characters I would hope they do multiple amiibo like cloud/corrin/bayonetta.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seeing all these "Erdrick isn't unique, they'd just do what Robin already does!" really makes me wonder what ya'll think of Sora and Crono.
Because I suck, I wanted to jump on this post. Sora's definitely unique. The keyblade is not like your typical sword. For one thing, note Sora's low to the ground, goofy (hyuck) ass stance with it. Right off the bat that's significantly different than any other sword users. Second, the way Sora fights with the keyblade is honestly more like a baseball bat than a sword. It's not really a cutting weapon, it's a club and in concept it's practically a bat with nails hammered into the head of it. Third, the way Sora fights with it is very up close and personal. Sliding, gliding, paries, quick action options, and even regularly levitating and throwing the damn thing. You could completely leave out his drives and magic and he'd still be incredibly unique as a "sword" using character.

Crono uses a katana which is something Smash doesn't have yet. Everything else is a broad sword aside from the Pits. That said, it's right off the bat a different stance and different way of swinging the sword. I'd argue that magic isn't a huge focus of Crono and the only way they'd probably implement it is possibly Luminare as a final Smash. Special moves that don't involve magic, you have cyclone, slash, spincut, and confuse which honestly could probably just transfer as his Smash special moves with cyclone being standard, slash being his forward special, spincut as a recovery, and confuse as a counter. From there, they could possibly figure out a way to implement the dual and triple attacks from Chrono Trigger but, again, it's not totally necessary because its easy to make him unique with surface level stuff you can see in a one minute clip.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't get why some of you guys can't just accept it's Erdrick. "Cynicism" or "hope" don't really matter for Smash speculation, our discussions are 100% meaningless at the end of the day, the goal here is to find the most logical outcome based on the info we have to properly set expectations. Arguing on how much you think Erdrick is a boring choice to you, in particular, won't change the fact he's the one that's likely coming.
While Edrick might end up being part of the DLC in the long run, acting like he is 100% confirmed right now is just foolish. Especially when it's 1-0 Nintendo vs leakers when it comes to DLC, the leakers aren't exactly Jason Schreier level of track record (I don't like the guy, but you can't deny that he is pretty much the scooper of gaming journalism) and don't get me started on how much the Grinch leak had going for it according to "team real".

Last edited:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
While Geno is by far my most wanted from Square, if the Erdrick rumors end up being true, I can't say I'd be disappointed, far from it, actually. Depending on how they approach the character, there's a lot of potential for uniqueness, since DQ is such a vast franchise to draw from. A variety of a weapons, magic spells, or even monster taming are within the realm of possibility.

But really for me, what sells me the most on Erdrick is his status as an NES icon, since he would be joining the likes of Mega Man and Simon Belmont. When it comes to third party additions to Smash, those are the ones I usually prefer to see.

D

Deleted member

Because I suck, I wanted to jump on this post. Sora's definitely unique. The keyblade is not like your typical sword. For one thing, note Sora's low to the ground, goofy (hyuck) *** stance with it. Right off the bat that's significantly different than any other sword users. Second, the way Sora fights with the keyblade is honestly more like a baseball bat than a sword. It's not really a cutting weapon, it's a club and in concept it's practically a bat with nails hammered into the head of it. Third, the way Sora fights with it is very up close and personal. Sliding, gliding, paries, quick action options, and even regularly levitating and throwing the damn thing. You could completely leave out his drives and magic and he'd still be incredibly unique as a "sword" using character.

Crono uses a katana which is something Smash doesn't have yet. Everything else is a broad sword aside from the Pits. That said, it's right off the bat a different stance and different way of swinging the sword. I'd argue that magic isn't a huge focus of Crono and the only way they'd probably implement it is possibly Luminare as a final Smash. Special moves that don't involve magic, you have cyclone, slash, spincut, and confuse which honestly could probably just transfer as his Smash special moves with cyclone being standard, slash being his forward special, spincut as a recovery, and confuse as a counter. From there, they could possibly figure out a way to implement the dual and triple attacks from Chrono Trigger but, again, it's not totally necessary because its easy to make him unique with surface level stuff you can see in a one minute clip.
Both are still "swrodsman with magic" at their basic level which is what you've been saying Erdrick is. If you're allowed to actually do research on Crono's skillset, why doesn't the same apply for Erdrick? Why don't the various weapons and varied magic Erdrick uses aren't viable for this? This just reeks from bias against the character in particular because time and time again people have shown how unique they could be but you still refuse to take your head out of "swordsman with magic" as if that's even somehow an unoriginal character.

Also, Lightning Magic not being implemented in Crono's standard moveset would definitely never happen considering because they are his most iconic skills.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wish he were 100% confirmed.
But leaks won't do for me. Only the actual reveal would make me believe it's real.

I got grinch'd pretty bad.. so I'm not setting up myself up for disappointment.
If he's not in it's not the end of the World for me. I can still enjoy this great game series on it's own. But DQ's popularity might remain at snail's pace, which will be kind of sad.

My hopefils hopefuls for they DQ protagonist as far as moves and game mechanic go would be:
- The tension System from DQ8 (basically a WFT's Deep Breath with 4 levels of Charge)
- Monster Summoning as a nod to the monster Battle arenas, Monsters series and DQ5's recruiting System.
- MP gauge.
- Menu with a variety of Magic for b neutral.
- Slime as part of his taunts.

As for things that he can do that other characters already do. Isn't that sort of the point? DQ did it first outside Smash. Like many jRPGs old and new, have used and still use staples from DQ.
Reminds me of people complaining about Cloud's Omnislash for being similar to Great Aether and I'm like... "Bruh, Cloud had it first". :D

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just throwing this out there.
Armor Project is only involved with Dragon Quest >>gameplay<<, so unless they have some Dragon Quest Mode in Smash, don't expect Armor Project to be in the credits.

There have been plenty of (all non-rpg) DQ spinoffs that AP isn't involved with. On the other hand, every RPG from the Main or sub-series, involves them.

And Bird Studio doing the character design or at least holding rights to the designs isn't anything really new, nor a significant obstacle in DQ's path. That's always how they rolled, and that's not going to change soon. Horii and Toriyama are business partners and Friends.

https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero

There's definitely no gameplay here and Armor Project and Bird Studio are still credited. Either way, Armor Project owns the assets of the series aside from music while Bird Studio owns virtually all the characters. As for the Amiibo, it's still a 6 way cut so even if the Amiibo flew off the shelves (let's be honest, this is only really probable in Japan), Square is barely getting anything back overall.

@Shishœ Because when you give people the same advice about a DLC character that you would about a dead pet or someone's parents getting a divorce (**** happens, move on), that's just a wee bit disconcerting. It's just such a weird thing that you see such an utter lack of happiness despite being like 95% likely at this point. Not even the Erdrick support thread can stay on the front page despite being a finger nail's length away from confirmation based on the evidence. It's just utterly joyless aside from a few DQ fans who are like "ah, neat" leaving a stark contrast to even mildly wanted characters like Joker who had fans losing their minds and going full blown Daffy Duck over. In short, it's anti-hype and a very by the books business transaction that's just leaving most people indifferent and cold.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I have to say one thing. Am I personally hyped towards Edrick? Nope. At best I'm meeh. While the licensing could be easier then what some of us think, I can't really see how it's as easy as some of you others think. Especially with so many parts involved.

If licensing were so easy... why didn't we get James Bond who was supposedly thought of back in Melee? The same thing with Banjo & Kazooie?
If licensing were so easy... why haven't they grabbed Goku by now then since including him would make the internet go insane?
If licensing were so easy... then why did Sean Schimmel and Chris Sabat, two voice actors that have worked with a Toriyama IP for I don't know how long... call the chances of guys like Goku is like Mac and Windows or Coke an Pepsi joining forces for a product due to how Japanese licensing law is (Source for it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pht_PjI55UI )

The fact that Square... the company that Nintendo has arguably the worse relationship with of all the companies that has guests, was the one that was the hardest to work with, I would argue should be a sign to what to expect. If they were as hard to work with... who is to say that Armour, Bird etc that Nintendo has even less history and relationship be easy?

Speaking of Square. Let's also add the fact that Square is said to be extremely notorious and secretive with its leaks. Who isn't to say that they are using Ederick as the leak bait? I mean having a fake name dropping around more then the real one is should be a rather obvious tactic to use if you want to fool leakers.

Is this me saying that Ederick is impossible? After Cloud, not really, but at the same time, not something "obvious" like some of you might think.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
We don't even know if the other 6 were considered or whether they were thrown in as leakbait either. There's so much we don't know and people are escalating to the worst possible scenario already.
After what happened with the Box/Grinch Leak, it’s become a habit for a lot of people, myself included. I’m hoping this whole situation gets cleared up since with people hearing about seven of these characters, it is giving me a bit of anxiety over how they’ve been heard and what really happened behind the scenes.

General question for the thread, but when the SE character does get revealed, what do you think are the chances that another SE character could pop up in the future like a fighter pass 2?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
General question for the thread, but when the SE character does get revealed, what do you think are the chances that another SE character could pop up in the future?
I mean, its not impossible, with Sega getting 3 unique characters and all. Its just that getting the character's from Square seem to be the most rocky out of all the guests.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Both are still "swrodsman with magic" at their basic level which is what you've been saying Erdrick is. If you're allowed to actually do research on Crono's skillset, why doesn't the same apply for Erdrick? Why don't the various weapons and varied magic Erdrick uses aren't viable for this? This just reeks from bias against the character in particular because time and time again people have shown how unique they could be but you still refuse to take your head out of "swordsman with magic" as if that's even somehow an unoriginal character.

Also, Lightning Magic not being implemented in Crono's standard moveset would definitely never happen considering because they are his most iconic skills.
Like I said, everything I explained could be seen in a one minute video clip or in the first 5 minutes of gameplay of their respective games. Even if not present at the beginning of Chrono Trigger, cyclone is a spinning slash attack, slash/wind slash is a, uh, slash of wind, spin cut is a big ol' jump n slash, and confusion is, wait for it, another slash atrack. Again, surface level stuff. Also, the argument wasn't that he wouldn't have magic, it's that he wouldn't need it to be unique. Erdrick would definitely need his magic skills to be unique. Crono doesn't because he already uses a weapon and fighting style not already in Smash. Same with Sora; nobody uses a two handed club in Smash. Honestly, people were having to break out encyclopedias and cross reference multiple characters from multiple games to explain Erdrick's potential for uniqueness so, no, Sora and Crono are not the same.

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm mostly hammering on this because of the mentality of "people will just get over it" like it's 100% necessary for Dragon Quest to even be in Smash. More people have admittedly come into this thread to play Devil's advocate for it than actively support it and even the people that do support it openly admit that there's significantly better choices from the series than Erdrick. That kind of makes my eyes go in two different directions. Imagine being like "yeah, Mario kinda sucks" or "Link makes sense to represent Zelda but..." Brass tacks, everyone just kind of admits he's boring unless you dig deep or make him a composite of all the Heroes and then it just begs the question, who is he even for if Dragon Quest fans themselves just look at him without these addendums and think "well, okay then." Plus, as others have said, none of this matters and its just a way to pass time until the 22nd. If it's a wall we all have to crash into, might as well stomp on the accelerator and "get it over with" like a colonoscopy like everyone keeps insisting.
I don't think Erdrick would be boring at all, and I genuinely think he'd be the best character possible to represent DQ as well.

I've also always been against the idea of having all the heroes as alts. I never liked that idea for multiple reasons, and I probably never will.

Perhaps some DQ fans feel like how you described, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Edit:
https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero

There's definitely no gameplay here and Armor Project and Bird Studio are still credited. Either way, Armor Project owns the assets of the series aside from music while Bird Studio owns virtually all the characters. As for the Amiibo, it's still a 6 way cut so even if the Amiibo flew off the shelves (let's be honest, this is only really probable in Japan), Square is barely getting anything back overall.

@Shishœ Because when you give people the same advice about a DLC character that you would about a dead pet or someone's parents getting a divorce (**** happens, move on), that's just a wee bit disconcerting. It's just such a weird thing that you see such an utter lack of happiness despite being like 95% likely at this point. Not even the Erdrick support thread can stay on the front page despite being a finger nail's length away from confirmation based on the evidence. It's just utterly joyless aside from a few DQ fans who are like "ah, neat" leaving a stark contrast to even mildly wanted characters like Joker who had fans losing their minds and going full blown Daffy Duck over. In short, it's anti-hype and a very by the books business transaction that's just leaving most people indifferent and cold.
I'm not the type to count my chickens before they hatch, and I imagine many other DQ fans feel the same way.

Believe me, if Erdrick actually gets announced, it'll be one of the greatest moments of my life (as over-dramatic as that sounds).

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
After what happened with the Box/Grinch Leak, it’s become a habit for a lot of people, myself included. I’m hoping this whole situation gets cleared up since with people hearing about seven of these characters, it is giving me a bit of anxiety over how they’ve been heard and what really happened behind the scenes.

General question for the thread, but when the SE character does get revealed, what do you think are the chances that another SE character could pop up in the future like a fighter pass 2?

While I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one, I wouldn't at the same time disqualify the chances., because Ederick without some like Geno or Sora would be Squares answer to Blizzards Diablo Mortal announcement. Yes I go so far.

If I got money for each time I've heard "God I'm so sick about these anime swordsmen" during the time of speculating for the base roster, be it at GameStop where I jumped in for time to time, visiting friends outside of my town and go to a GameStop there, local tournaments of Smash 4, being outside the country looking for games etc... I would be a very rich man right now.

Having someone like Ederick, being a literal who for most of the Smash players while also being a literal anime swordsmen in his appearance, that would not go over so well in the west. Corrin is still hated to this date, and don't get me started on the reception Chrom get when he was released. If Square also gave people access to someone like Geno or Sora, the blow against them and Nintendo would be at least be much less then without

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Like I explained earlier, I think another in "pass 1" is likely. From how I see it, if they're willing to crawl naked over broken glass for a franchise that most people outside of Japan are just plain indifferent too, I think that torpedos the chances of a vast majority of Western made characters. Banjo or Steve might squeak by due to sheer popularity but if Nintendo gave a hard pass to Rayman despite Ubisoft practically being in Nintendo's fly like a baby kangaroo, I don't expect them to grace companies like Bethesda with anything aside from an eye roll. Namco, another Square, and maaaaybe that coveted Microsoft rep seem like the likely remaining DLC. SEGA, Konami, and Capcom all got three, why not Square?

StormC

Smash Hero

I don’t think there will be a fighter pass 2, so slim to none.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Never say never since their recent CEO has said that they are going to focus more on DLC then before
And considering that they will likely never be able to pull the "Everyone is here" card again, as well as Sakurai saying that the next game will probably not arive until a decade from now, there is plenty of room and reason for more seasons.
Edit: Fixed some errors, typing on a phone is horrible.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And considering that they will likely never be able to pull the "Everyone is here" card again, as well as Sakurai saying that the next game will provably not arive until a decade from now, there is planty of room and reason for more seasons.
I'd just like to say don't read this comment too heavily though.

It's a joke about how overworked he is and nothing more I'm sure.

It's akin to the ''I wonder if I'll ever get a break." from the last Smash Direct.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'd just like to say don't read this comment too heavily though.

It's a joke about how overworked he is and nothing more I'm sure.

It's akin to the ''I wonder if I'll ever get a break." from the last Smash Direct.

I wouldn't call out the chances of Smash 6 (if there ever will be one, I'm still on the team "Ultimate will be the new Skyrim/Street Fighter 2") be so long away. The Switch is more likely than not being more of a new DS/3DS for them, meaning that this system, in general, will have a much larger lifespan. Also, add to the fact that this is basically three games in one with the amount of stuff that's in, on the company where DLC could give this game a much larger life than previous titles.

And considering that they will likely never be able to pull the "Everyone is here" card again, as well as Sakurai saying that the next game will probably not arive until a decade from now, there is plenty of room and reason for more seasons.
Edit: Fixed some errors, typing on a phone is horrible.
And who is to say that Sakurai couldn't do something along the lines of Fighterpass -> passion project -> fighters pass > passion project couldn't happen? Video game industry just like Hollywood more often then not have a "we scratch your back if you scratch our back" mentality.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The fact that "season 2" was talked about before Joker was even revealed kind of gives testament to how a lot of people have really low expectations for DLC for this game. The current atmosphere is pessimistic which is part of the reason I keep arguing here because most of the fanbases have taken their lawn chairs back to their minivans and gone home. Expectations for first party characters have all but bottomed out beyond potential shill characters already and people are largely leaning into most of the third party characters being ads. A bit dramatic but "hope" is kind of a corpse right now as far as character speculation goes outside a handful of characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I have to say one thing. Am I personally hyped towards Edrick? Nope. At best I'm meeh. While the licensing could be easier then what some of us think, I can't really see how it's as easy as some of you others think. Especially with so many parts involved.

If licensing were so easy... why didn't we get James Bond who was supposedly thought of back in Melee? The same thing with Banjo & Kazooie?
If licensing were so easy... why haven't they grabbed Goku by now then since including him would make the internet go insane?
If licensing were so easy... then why did Sean Schimmel and Chris Sabat, two voice actors that have worked with a Toriyama IP for I don't know how long... call the chances of guys like Goku is like Mac and Windows or Coke an Pepsi joining forces for a product due to how Japanese licensing law is (Source for it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pht_PjI55UI )

The fact that Square... the company that Nintendo has arguably the worse relationship with of all the companies that has guests, was the one that was the hardest to work with, I would argue should be a sign to what to expect. If they were as hard to work with... who is to say that Armour, Bird etc that Nintendo has even less history and relationship be easy?

Speaking of Square. Let's also add the fact that Square is said to be extremely notorious and secretive with its leaks. Who isn't to say that they are using Ederick as the leak bait? I mean having a fake name dropping around more then the real one is should be a rather obvious tactic to use if you want to fool leakers.

Is this me saying that Ederick is impossible? After Cloud, not really, but at the same time, not something "obvious" like some of you might think.
This makes sense.

I'm still keeping Erdick in mind, but of course all the leakers/insiders only seem sure about him because "business move and this leak said Granblue VS while mentioning Erdick, though we've heard a lot of names, just him the most."

Different from Grinch Leak because they haven't actually seen any proof, i.e. trailers or scripts or anything.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
This makes sense.

I'm still keeping Erdick in mind, but of course all the leakers/insiders only seem sure about him because "business move and this leak said Granblue VS while mentioning Erdick, though we've heard a lot of names, just him the most."

Different from Grinch Leak because they haven't actually seen any proof, i.e. trailers or scripts or anything.
Exactly. I would argue that the only "real" proof (like another user mentioned earlier) that could speak towards Edrick is if the 2chan leak who mentioned Ederick together with Joker would be right about Jokers moveset and stage. If not, we don't have any proof towards him no matter how much leakers claimed that they have heard him.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said in the Geno thread, the leak technically has a kill switch. Jump Festa on the 22nd and the Tokyo Game Show next September are pretty much the only places where an Erdrick reveal would go over well. If it's not at Jump Festa, it raises a ton of questions because it definitely would fall flat during an international Direct or E3. It doesn't absolutely have to be at Jump Festa, but that's by far the best place to show it for the best reception.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Like I said in the Geno thread, the leak technically has a kill switch. Jump Festa on the 22nd and the Tokyo Game Show next September are pretty much the only places where an Erdrick reveal would go over well. If it's not at Jump Festa, it raises a ton of questions because it definitely would fall flat during an international Direct or E3. It doesn't absolutely have to be at Jump Festa, but that's by far the best place to show it for the best reception.
Thank god for kill switches. Speculation godsends

Untouch

Smash Master
Not really.
I'm thinking if Erdrick is in, and a Western focused character is in, they'll reveal both at the same time in a direct.

Roy/Ryu were revealed at the same time.
Bayonetta/Corrin were revealed at the same time.

With the limited timespan they have, it may be a requirement to do reveals this way.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not really.
I'm thinking if Erdrick is in, and a Western focused character is in, they'll reveal both at the same time in a direct.
Wouldn't the fact that you feel like Eldrick would need to be tied to a more popular western character's reveal be sort of telling about how well he'd go over in Smash?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think Nintendo wouldn't put Erdick in a direct.

After all, they're the same company who let's their boxes help leak things, if the box itself doesn't already leak things.

You know, there are other parts of the world besides the West, right?
This too, but to be fair it would feel like a Japan-exclusive announcement in a Direct, which they've done before so they may as well do it again; or they could simply try to appeal to the minority in the West as well, so I don't really see why a Direct is a "absolute no-go."

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hasn't NIntendo showed of Dragon Quest stuff outside of Jump Festa and Tokyo Game Show? I recall them showing off the DQVII 3DS remaster during E3 2016.

I don't think Erdrick or any DQ has to be locked to the Jump or Tokyo Game Show events.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You know, there are other parts of the world besides the West, right?
We all know. But if Ederick needs another character revealed with him in order to not fall flat, but Joker didn't.. what does that say about Ederick in terms of "hype/demand"?

Untouch

Smash Master
I feel a Western rep wouldn't go totally well in Japan, where a Japanese rep (like Erdrick) wouldn't go well in the West.
Putting them both in one direct would alleviate this.

Would make a lot of sense thematically if the Western rep is a WRPG character too, like the Dragonborn.

D

Deleted member

Hasn't NIntendo showed of Dragon Quest stuff outside of Jump Festa and Tokyo Game Show? I recall them showing off the DQVII 3DS remaster during E3 2016.

I don't think Erdrick or any DQ has to be locked to the Jump or Tokyo Game Show events.
Yup. They publish every DQ game released on their platforms in the West so they'll usually be shown off in Directs.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The fact that "season 2" was talked about before Joker was even revealed kind of gives testament to how a lot of people have really low expectations for DLC for this game. The current atmosphere is pessimistic which is part of the reason I keep arguing here because most of the fanbases have taken their lawn chairs back to their minivans and gone home. Expectations for first party characters have all but bottomed out beyond potential shill characters already and people are largely leaning into most of the third party characters being ads. A bit dramatic but "hope" is kind of a corpse right now as far as character speculation goes outside a handful of characters.
Well I mean when you put it that way I see your point but I more or less blame Nintendo they killed off most there potential first party characters as dlc same with some interesting 3rd parties that last direct let me sad because well they killed isaac in cold blood I'm happy hes back but what can I do lol

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
But that isn't to say that a reveal elsewhere is entirely out of the question either. Cloud was revealed in the most ho-hum event possible.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yup. They publish every DQ game released on their platforms in the West so they'll usually be shown off in Directs.
Not to mention there's also the random date when they finally show DQXIs's final trailer as a potential side by side reveal.

Why would they lock a DQ character reveal for Japan only? That defeats the whole purpose of advertising, and sounds more like users here saying "Thanks Japan, but keep it to yourself".
I swear... Sometimes...? e_e

Do they even reveal Smash characters in Japan and not the rest of the world?

Also, I'm keeping an eye out for May 27, Dragon Quest day in Japan. But just cautiously and casually.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Are you guy's just ignoring the fact that he SAID it could be revealed on other day's, just that it wouldn't go over well? He never said that there was no chance for DQ to be revealed somewhere else.

Top Bottom