• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
"Most appearances as a hero in a Square Enix RPG."

With all due respect, that is an oddly specific and thoroughly unremarkable record. Who is he even competing with?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Most square RPGs have rotating casts. Like dragon quest and Final Fantasy. That's a really dumb thing to put in the book of world records.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Guys, did you know Pikachu has the most appearance of any Pokemon in a Pokemon game? So cool!

I really think he has a shot to join Snake in Tekken now c:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Guys, did you know Pikachu has the most appearance of any Pokemon in a Pokemon game? So cool!

I really think he has a shot to join Snake in Tekken now c:
That's not exactly a fair comparison. I agree the record is dumb, but it would be more like if Pikachu had the most appearances of any Nintendo character. Although Ninty is much bigger and has way more characters that appear in every game in their series, so that would be much more impressive. But it's still not quite THAT pointless.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It just seems like a stretch to consider such a meaningless accomplishment in the Guinness Book of World Records increases the chances of a character Sora is a joke. Besides, he was already deconfirmed. Let's hope it remains that way. I'd be damned to see Disney get their nasty little hands on Smash Bros. They can be an evil empire elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It just seems like a stretch to consider such a meaningless accomplishment in the Guinness Book of World Records increases the chances of a character Sora is a joke. Besides, he was already deconfirmed. Let's hope it remains that way. I'd be damned to see Disney get their nasty little hands on Smash Bros. They can be an evil empire elsewhere.
You say this as if every single company that already participates in Smash is some golden bastion of ethics. If you hated every character based on what their company or creator did, you probably wouldn’t have anything left to be a fan of, or at least not many options remaining. Also, simply participating in Smash Bros doesn’t give said company full control over the series, that’s why Smash isn’t coming to Xbox with Banjo getting in. That's why their called "Guest Stars", not full collaborators (with the exception of Namco because they're developing the game).

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Meh, Disney's higher-ups are questionable, but I wouldn't call them evil (don't really know what they've done though), and definitely not the whole company. They're a business, and there are good people in the company.

Besides, Disney asks Nomura or whoever out of respect when they want to use Sora, and it's not like they would actually own any rights to Nintendo or Smash Bros. if he got in. Their Tsum Tsum thing is already on the Switch.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
You say this as if every single company that already participates in Smash is some golden bastion of ethics. If you hated every character based on what their company or creator did, you probably wouldn’t have many options left. Also simply participating in Smash Bros doesn’t give said company full control over the series, that’s why Smash isn’t coming to Xbox with Banjo getting in.
My sentiment exactly. Konami has been notoriously ****ty to it's employees for years, Microsoft ain't exactly much better than Disney as a multi-billion dollar corporation, and even Capcom went through their garbage phase in the early 2010s. As much as I love Nintendo, they've done some pretty questionable things in the past as well. I hate Disney's business practices and slow monopolization of the film industry just as much as the next person, but the argument that Sora being in Smash will lead to them absorbing Nintendo is one hell of a slippery slope if I've ever seen one. If that were the case, then they'd have already bought Square Enix by this point.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Honestly, regardless of this meaningless record, I seriously think Sora has a very strong case to make it at the end.
I didn't have much time to discuss here, but I really do think that the Hero's launch and the Mii costumes missing gave me the impression that this thread shouldn't be closed at all.
I think we are getting a final Squaresoft character specifically during Ultimate's DLC run, whether it is in this Fighters Pass or as a bonus DLC at the end.
The Mii costume pack came with 4 strictly from DQ.
If we look at Joker, we had 4 Persona costumes with 2 returning ones.
I don't think this is a coincidence. And knowing SE, I seriously doubt they would waste an opportunity to monetize content that was already successful in the previous game. I think the two missing costumes will come in a pack with 4 new costumes from the franchise that the Square rep comes from.

Right now my bet is on Sora and Sephiroth (yes, I know Sora is not just SE, but SE can push for him a ton, as it is way more advantageous for them in the future, financially). I'm not saying this out of bias. I'm being real honest here, I'm not big on Sora. But I acknowledge he is a giant this time.

What do you guys think?
Maybe we should make a new poll here. :3

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
My sentiment exactly. Konami has been notoriously ****ty to it's employees for years, Microsoft ain't exactly much better than Disney as a multi-billion dollar corporation, and even Capcom went through their garbage phase in the early 2010s. As much as I love Nintendo, they've done some pretty questionable things in the past as well. I hate Disney's business practices and slow monopolization of the film industry just as much as the next person, but the argument that Sora being in Smash will lead to them absorbing Nintendo is one hell of a slippery slope if I've ever seen one. If that were the case, then they'd have already bought Square Enix by this point.
Not to mention this appearing all the way back in Brawl.

DmCbjMpVAAA-K-k.jpg

Nintendo has worked with Disney plenty of times before, that's why Epic Mickey 1 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 were Nintendo exclusives and why we are getting a Disney themed Switch (well, in Japan at least).

nintendo-switch-disney-tsum-tsum-festival-special-edition-790x415.jpg

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Honestly, regardless of this meaningless record, I seriously think Sora has a very strong case to make it at the end.
I didn't have much time to discuss here, but I really do think that the Hero's launch and the Mii costumes missing gave me the impression that this thread shouldn't be closed at all.
I think we are getting a final Squaresoft character specifically during Ultimate's DLC run, whether it is in this Fighters Pass or as a bonus DLC at the end.
The Mii costume pack came with 4 strictly from DQ.
If we look at Joker, we had 4 Persona costumes with 2 returning ones.
I don't think this is a coincidence. And knowing SE, I seriously doubt they would waste an opportunity to monetize content that was already successful in the previous game. I think the two missing costumes will come in a pack with 4 new costumes from the franchise that the Square rep comes from.

Right now my bet is on Sora and Sephiroth (yes, I know Sora is not just SE, but SE can push for him a ton, as it is way more advantageous for them in the future, financially). I'm not saying this out of bias. I'm being real honest here, I'm not big on Sora. But I acknowledge he is a giant this time.

What do you guys think?
Maybe we should make a new poll here. :3
I think Geno has a strong case as well.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Don't come in just to insult people liking another character.
Imagine how scummy it would be to put Sora in after all these years of fans requesting Geno though

D

Deleted member

Not to mention this appearing all the way back in Brawl.

Nintendo has worked with Disney plenty of times before, that's why Epic Mickey 1 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 were Nintendo exlcusives and why we are getting a Disney themed Switch Lite (well, in Japan).
I do wonder if Nintendo went with them for the rights of those songs, as Nintendo might own the tunes for the Game & Watch games.

But pretty much the chances of Sora happening or not is pretty much Nintendo wanting him.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Imagine how scummy it would be to put Sora in after all these years of fans requesting Geno though
Sora's been pretty requested for a while now too. It wasn't scummy to put Cloud and Hero in before Geno, why would Sora be any different? They don't even have anything to do with each other aside from both being Square characters.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Not to beat a dead horse but Sora is straight up more popular than Geno. There's no contest.

I do want Geno someday but there are other Square Enix characters that make way more sense to include and Sora is one of them, despite the latter's ownership by Disney making things complicated.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sora's been pretty requested for a while now too. It wasn't scummy to put Cloud and Hero in before Geno, why would Sora be any different?
I think Cloud is bittersweet for several reasons. This Disney fill in literally does not have as many long time, dedicated supporters as Geno. It's always a small minority that strives on unfortunate news for Geno. Considering how much disappointment Geno fans have gone thru already, this would be the worst.

I dont want some lame Gary stu Disney insert getting in from Disney's pocketbook

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I think Geno has a strong case as well.
Why? The idea is that his costume would return. Why would he come with his own costume anyway?
And, even if his old costume for some reason doesn't return and we get 5 from SMRPG instead, I'm not sure exactly what series of facts could lead you to believe that there is a very strong case like other SE chars. If you show me, I would be happy to join your hype, but knowing SE, Sakurai's design choices for the game and its mechanics, I don't really see it yet. Maybe, I could be wrong.

Right now even a char like Chrono and 2B have a shot.

Sora's been pretty requested for a while now too. It wasn't scummy to put Cloud and Hero in before Geno, why would Sora be any different? They don't even have anything to do with each other aside from both being Square characters.
Took the words out of my mouth

I think Cloud is bittersweet for several reasons. This Disney fill in literally does not have as many long time, dedicated supporters as Geno. It's always a small minority that strives on unfortunate news for Geno. Considering how much disappointment Geno fans have gone thru already, this would be the worst.

I dont want some lame Gary stu Disney insert getting in from Disney's pocketbook
May I ask why the bittersweetness?
The idea is that he isn't purely a Disney pocketbook shoe in. He is a char created by Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of FF.
I feel like you take this a bit too seriously, from what I see here and on Discord. It's a game filled with love and care for so many characters and franchises. Why is one single character not getting in ruin your entire mood? Doesn't any of the 70+ characters in the game make you smile or make you satisfied? Heck, Megaman isn't awesome enough?
If I don't get my most wanted character, I'll have to accept it. No need to be this desperate or negative

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I get that you like Geno, but Sora also has fans that would love to see Sora happening in the game. Geno's situation is quite sad from the fan side of things, but quite understandable of why he hasn't happened as SE and Mario have bigger characters and franchises compared to him. But who knows, maybe fan support will at least have Nintendo and SE to try a project again with him.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who are genuinely fans of Sora and not part of some made up conspiracy group that "strives on unfortunate news" for Geno.

People can like a character without automatically being against another one. There are even a lot of people who want both characters in the game.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I may be a big Geno supporter, but Sora has always been a character I wouldn't mind. Did grow up on KH 1 and 2. I don't the hate he sometimes gets, especially in regard to Geno.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who are genuine fans of Sora and not part of some made up conspiracy group that "strives on unfortunate news" for Geno.

People can like a character without automatically being against another one.
Genuine fans from a Smash perspective are literally far and few.

But genuine fans strive on seeing Geno fans suffer for no reason. I'm just not afraid to call out that group of supporters for being literal trash to us.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Man y'all seriously hating on Sora. I think the record is cool.

Wow this is blatantly untrue.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

You are hilariously disregarding Kingdom Hearts and it's general popularity in the gaming community. You also treat Sora as if no one has ever requested him for Smash, when if we look at recent fan polls Sora has eclipsed Geno in terms of fan requests. The argument that a character shouldn't get in because another character has been requested longer has no basis and it seems like a form of persecution complex.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Right now, from the top of my head, in terms of costumes for some characters, I see:
Sephiroth: Tifa brawler, Barret gunner, Zack swordfighter, Aerith swordfighter
Sora: Riku swordfighter, Kairi swordfighter, Axel, Roxas (would be funny as heck to get Mickey ears instead)
Chrono: Magus, Frog, Robo, Ayla

What batch of costumes would you have in mind?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why? The idea is that his costume would return. Why would he come with his own costume anyway?
And, even if his old costume for some reason doesn't return and we get 5 from SMRPG instead, I'm not sure exactly what series of facts could lead you to believe that there is a very strong case like other SE chars. If you show me, I would be happy to join your hype, but knowing SE, Sakurai's design choices for the game and its mechanics, I don't really see it yet. Maybe, I could be wrong.

Right now even a char like Chrono and 2B have a shot.
Geno is a long-time fan-requested character like Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool, and Ridley. There are some others as well, which didn't make it in, but I believe it could still count.

Everyone was so sure his costume would get added alongside the DQ stuff, that people were taken aback that it didn't. It's likely it won't come back if Geno isn't in. And if you're assuming it will, then what character would it come with? Because you imply there's some kind of mii costume pattern, when it's clear there isn't except maybe costumes from the same company as the character (so he could come with a Square character but you seem to imply there's a minimum amount they need), and they could very well just bring back the Chocobo costume with Geno alongside his costume (because why not, they already made it and some other characters are both a mii costume and playable, they could just make it a freebie) if not just make costumes out of Booster, Smithy, Boshi, Mallow, etc.

And what do Sakurai's design choices have to do with it? As far as mechanics, he could give Geno a timed-hit mechanic that helps with damage or whatever depending on the move, and Sakurai has made it pretty clear he's aware of Geno's fan demand, as well as saying he thinks he'd be a perfect fit for Smash, which are the reasons he included the costume. This is why the lack of Geno's mii costume was so surprising, not to mention the special treatment it got in Smash 4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Genuine fans from a Smash perspective are literally far and few.

But genuine fans strive on seeing Geno fans suffer for no reason. I'm just not afraid to call out that group of supporters for being literal trash to us.
Mate, no offense but your thoughts on people hating on Geno are pretty much persecution complex now. I doubt there is anyone aside maybe 4chan (who let's remember they hate everything or pretend to hate just for fun) and even then is not even worth thinking about it.

Being abrasive against other fanbases only manages to rub those fanbases on the wrong way and create unnecessary conflicts.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Man y'all seriously hating on Sora. I think the record is cool.

Wow this is blatantly untrue.
I legitimately am only a fan of KH1
That game is amazing. But I didn't like how KH turned out from II onwards.
But I don't hate him or the franchise itself. I just prefer other characters.

You are hilariously disregarding Kingdom Hearts and it's general popularity in the gaming community. You also treat Sora as if no one has ever requested him for Smash, when if we look at recent fan polls Sora has eclipsed Geno in terms of fan requests. The argument that a character shouldn't get in because another character has been requested longer has no basis and it seems like a form of persecution complex.
I love your username. XP

Geno is a long-time fan-requested character like Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool, and Ridley. There are some others as well, which didn't make it in, but I believe it could still count.

Everyone was so sure his costume would get added alongside the DQ stuff, that people were taken aback that it didn't. It's likely it won't come back if Geno isn't in. And if you're assuming it will, then what character would it come with? Because you imply there's some kind of mii costume pattern, when it's clear there isn't except maybe costumes from the same company as the character, and they could very well just bring back the Chocobo costume with Geno alongside his costume (because why not, they already made it and some other characters are both a mii costume and playable, they could just make it a freebie) if not just make costumes out of Booster, Smithy, Boshi, Mallow, etc.

And what does Sakurai's design choices have to do with it? As far as mechanics, he could give Geno a timed-hit mechanic that helps with damage or whatever depending on the move, and Sakurai has made it pretty clear he's aware of Geno's fan demand, as well as saying he thinks he'd be a perfect fit for Smash. This is also why the lack of Geno's mii costume was so surprising, not to mention the special treatment it got in Smash 4.
Being a fan-requested character applies to a bunch of other characters as well.

People were taken aback bc everyone thought we would get only one SE rep. With the lack of the two costumes (seriously, look at the numbers, it's obvious that there were two costumes intended to be in the pack and were pulled out bc SE would want to monetize them later), it's pretty likely there is another character on the way that would bring the 6 costume pack (4 new and 2 returning). The lack of a costume does not change the status for Geno. I could apply that same logic to Chocobo too.

And when I said mechanics, I meant how Sakurai envisioned the design of the game and its elements. He specifically said that spirits were designed to make you feel as though you are fighting those very characters, and I hardly see spirits making the cut in the end. We haven't seen anything disproving yet, so the status quo will still stand, unless we get like a datamine suggesting otherwise.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Everyone was so sure his costume would get added alongside the DQ stuff, that people were taken aback that it didn't. It's likely it won't come back if Geno isn't in. And if you're assuming it will, then what character would it come with? Because you imply there's some kind of mii costume pattern, when it's clear there isn't except maybe costumes from the same company as the character, and they could very well just bring back the Chocobo costume with Geno alongside his costume (because why not, they already made it and some other characters are both a mii costume and playable, they could just make it a freebie) if not just make costumes out of Booster, Smithy, Boshi, Mallow, etc.

And what does Sakurai's design choices have to do with it? As far as mechanics, he could give Geno a timed-hit mechanic that helps with damage or whatever depending on the move, and Sakurai has made it pretty clear he's aware of Geno's fan demand, as well as saying he thinks he'd be a perfect fit for Smash. This is also why the lack of Geno's mii costume was so surprising, not to mention the special treatment it got in Smash 4.
Was going to reply, but you nailed it buddy.

Big fan of Square-Enix and the idea of another Square character (on top of Hero) is awesome. Honestly, as far as Ultimate is concerned, Geno makes sense.
Especially with the 'Sure fire' Mii Costume returning with Hero...not actually happening. On top of that, this game oozes "Fan Demand Come True". Would honestly be happy with another Square character no matter who it is, but I would like Geno and something makes me think it COULD happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone was so sure his costume would get added alongside the DQ stuff, that people were taken aback that it didn't. It's likely it won't come back if Geno isn't in. And if you're assuming it will, then what character would it come with? Because you imply there's some kind of mii costume pattern, when it's clear there isn't except maybe costumes from the same company as the character (so he could come with a Square character but you seem to imply there's a minimum amount they need), and they could very well just bring back the Chocobo costume with Geno alongside his costume (because why not, they already made it and some other characters are both a mii costume and playable, they could just make it a freebie) if not just make costumes out of Booster, Smithy, Boshi, Mallow, etc.

Realistically speaking, the only one of the four (Ridley, K. Rool, BK and Geno) that had constant support over the years was Ridley. K. Rool support got really strong during Sm4sh end and the DLC period, BK was unexistant until Phil's tweet and Geno suffered a pretty big stepdown during Sm4sh period. And even then counting popular charactes, there are many other popular characters in the speculation scene (BWD, Isaac, Ashley, etc) that didn't get in and others that got in despite not having visible fanbases (Chrom and Simon).

Look I understand people really wanting Geno, but at the same time a lot of the speculation seems to surround theories or patterns that might not pan out. All these theories of chairs, colors, Mii costumes are only really based on our limited understanding of the selection process an filled with literally wishlists.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Being a fan-requested character applies to a bunch of other characters as well.

People were taken aback bc everyone thought we would get only one SE rep. With the lack of the two costumes (seriously, look at the numbers, it's obvious that there were two costumes intended to be in the pack and were pulled out bc SE would want to monetize them later), it's pretty likely there is another character on the way that would bring the 6 costume pack (4 new and 2 returning).

And when I said mechanics, I meant how Sakurai envisioned the design of the game and its elements. He specifically said that spirits were designed to make you feel as though you are fighting those very characters, and I hardly see spirits making the cut in the end. We haven't seen anything disproving yet, so the status quo will still stand, unless we get like a datamine suggesting otherwise.
I already acknowledged there were others as well, I was just saying it could help. It's not like he's some Bubsy. Sakurai at least specifically mentioned Geno's demand.

No, it's not obvious. The only example we have is Joker, and they could've just monetized the costumes as soon as possible if that were the case. We don't know if 6 costumes is their standard or if they just go with whatever they think works, and bring whatever back. We have nothing to base this off of except for one single case. People were taken aback by the lack of Geno's costume because of everyone crapping on him by saying he'd just be a costume with some being plain rude about it, and Sakurai's words regarding it last game. A lot of people actually think we won't get another SE character except for people who are healthily hoping for Geno and think he has a shot, and of course whoever else for other characters but most of those who are hoping for someone other than Geno aren't even considering his mii costume as far as I know.

The thing about Spirits is that they could've been worked on before Sakurai knew about DLC (January 2018) which I find most-likely considering the whole new World of Light mode, the amount of spirits, nearly each one having a battle, and of course the other Spirit systems they had to code. It's entirely possible he wanted Geno and Mallow spirits beforehand, and Nintendo let him have them because why not so they asked Square, and then when DLC comes around they let Sakurai choose Geno or they even had him on their mind; they could've just not cared about him being a spirit in the base-game (why would they care if he's both playable and a spirit?) so they just said yes before they finished their DLC plans (which it's clear they wouldn't have until close to when they let Sakurai know, and they wouldn't have started negotiations until after that since it seems Sakurai had some form of control based on his tweet).

Spirits lore is also already messed up. You can have multiple of each spirit, including Geno's. There's really no reason for them to be taken so seriously in that regard or for nobody to think about when they may have been chosen in regards to when DLC stuff started. I highly doubt Sakurai would reject the idea just because "well my team and I already made them a png you can receive endless times through a battle so I'm afraid I can't" when he probably didn't know about DLC when he and his spirits team added them, as I said.

Realistically speaking, the only one of the four (Ridley, K. Rool, BK and Geno) that had constant support over the years was Ridley. K. Rool support got really strong during Sm4sh end and the DLC period, BK was unexistant until Phil's tweet and Geno suffered a pretty big stepdown during Sm4sh period. And even then counting popular charactes, there are many other popular characters in the speculation scene (BWD, Isaac, Ashley, etc) that didn't get in and others that got in despite not having visible fanbases (Chrom and Simon).

Look I understand people really wanting Geno, but at the same time a lot of the speculation seems to surround theories or patterns that might not pan out. All these theories of chairs, colors, Mii costumes are only really based on our limited understanding of the selection process an filled with literally wishlists.
alright then.

yes, theories may not pan out, and of course the theories tied to backgrounds and reveal trailers definitely won't unless it's pure coincidence anyway.

That also means there's possibly no actual strict mii costume pattern or that Square saved the two costumes for later.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I already acknowledged there were others as well, I was just saying it could help. It's not like he's some Bubsy. Sakurai at least specifically mentioned Geno's demand.

No, it's not obvious. The only example we have is Joker, and they could've just monetized the costumes as soon as possible if that were the case. We don't know if 6 costumes is their standard or if they just go with whatever they think works, and bring whatever back. We have nothing to base this off of except for one single case.

The thing about Spirits is that they could've been worked on before Sakurai knew about DLC (January 2018) which I find most-likely considering the whole new World of Light mode, the amount of spirits, nearly each one having a battle, and of course the other Spirit systems they had to code. It's entirely possible he wanted Geno and Mallow spirits beforehand, and Nintendo let him have them because why not so they asked Square, and then when DLC comes around they let Sakurai choose Geno or they even had him on their mind; they could've just not cared about him being a spirit in the base-game so they just said yes before they finished their DLC plans (which it's clear they wouldn't have until close to when they let Sakurai know, and they wouldn't have started negotiations until after that since it seems Sakurai had some form of control based on his tweet).

Spirits lore is also already messed up. You can have multiple of each spirit, including Geno's. There's really no reason for them to be taken so seriously in that regard or for nobody to think about when they may have been chosen in regards to when DLC stuff started, I highly doubt Sakurai would reject the idea just because "well my team and I already made them a png you can receive endless times through a battle so I'm afraid I can't" when he probably didn't know about DLC when he and his spirits team added them, as I said.

alright then.

yes, theories may not pan out, and of course the theories tied to backgrounds and reveal trailers definitely won't unless it's pure coincidence anyway.

That also means there's possibly no actual strict mii costume pattern or that Square saved the two costumes for later.
It is going to be hard to judge if this pattern is true, bc only fighter 4's launch or announcement would truly give us an answer.
I'm simply assuming that the pattern exists.

Sakurai had DLC planned and ready before the game's launch. Two months, in fact. He could have very well made the spirit list and fights ready to go with accordance to the list of DLCs they had in mind. You are switching the events here. Sakurai wouldn't reject the idea for DLC, because he already decided before DLC that he would have other candidates and decided for the rest of the chars to become spirits.
To put it simply, the spirits were in the game and were organized alongside DLC planning. It wasn't made one after the other at all.

The idea is not simply the lore, but types of spirits. Fighter spirits have a very clear definition, both in the code and in the game, and are named accordingly in their original names (no case of X (fighter)). There is zero inconsistency with spirit namings, with the more than 1300 spirits out there.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Let's just hope sora is truly deonfirmed and it isn't just some lie

The last thing I need is to be trolled again

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It is going to be hard to judge if this pattern is true, bc only fighter 4's launch or announcement would truly give us an answer.
I'm simply assuming that the pattern exists.

Sakurai had DLC planned and ready before the game's launch. Two months, in fact. He could have very well made the spirit list and fights ready to go with accordance to the list of DLCs they had in mind. You are switching the events here. Sakurai wouldn't reject the idea for DLC, because he already decided before DLC that he would have other candidates and decided for the rest of the chars to become spirits.
To put it simply, the spirits were in the game and were organized alongside DLC planning. It wasn't made one after the other at all.

The idea is not simply the lore, but types of spirits. Fighter spirits have a very clear definition, both in the code and in the game, and are named accordingly in their original names (no case of X (fighter)). There is zero inconsistency with spirit namings, with the more than 1300 spirits out there.
You really think there's no way the spirits could've been chosen before 2018? Sakurai only knew about DLC since January 2018, he even said Nintendo did it without letting the devs know, but of course based on his tweet in November he seemed to have some form of control; it wasn't all planned at once just two months before the game, though, but admittedly it'd be even better for Geno's chances if it somehow was; Sakurai never said anything about Spirits being planned alongside DLC and I highly doubt it was, and I can't see how they could've worked on and finished all of the spirits stuff in only two months given how much there is; coding isn't easy. It's more-likely that, with all the work they'd need to code all the spirits stuff and get them ready, that he could've wanted Geno, Mallow, and other spirits pre-2018. The game's project plan finished in December 2015, they've had about exactly 3 years to code this game, and perhaps he and his team would've even put stuff they'd need to negotiate for on the plan, such as the Geno spirit. There's literally no way it was all done in 2018, it's not possible, and the Spirits stuff very likely could've been done before 2018. Sakurai even teased the new mode in the August direct, keeping it a secret so they could save it for later.

If Geno is a fighter, his fighter spirit could either be his true form (the star) or his doll body's sprite if not only his Ultimate render (like Cloud, Wii Fit Trainer, and Robin), and they can easily rename his other spirit to "Geno (Doll)" or "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" just like "Pit (Classic)."

Last edited:
Top Bottom