• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hmm interesting
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Technically any character you can apply Brave to can have an autoscrolling stage with good looking-graphics, but so can Erdrick. In fact, it's expected of Erdrick. This applies to Alefgard quite nicely. Keep it coming, Mr. Info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Brave's stage isn't named. It was just found in recycled low-poly code. Really we are EXTREMELY lucky to have found this stuff, it's all just recycled leftover code. That's why we won't really find anything else. This is all from 1.0 BTW, jack and brave were entirely removed in 2.0.
Alright. Hopefully they find more stuff. If it's a huge stage, it doesn't tell us too much, but im surprised they'd go with one for dlc.
Not sure what we could speculate about a large stage... but let's see.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Verge has still been sending DMs to trusted people. I've been informed on what all happened. I also seen somebody else who DM'd him explain it over on GameFAQs. Long story short, the things he got wrong seem to have stemmed from just one source, not all of his sources were telling him that information. I assume he'll make a public post clarifying everything later. It all has to do with how he vets his information, because he did have other sources telling him TRUE info before the direct as well (he was told 3 weeks before the direct that the 2D link's awakening zelda game was coming).

On another subject, I have some more datamining stuff to share with you guys: "Brave's" stage is listed as L02. This is NOT a name. It means his stage has a low poly version for 8-player smash. This means Brave's stage is labor intensive, like an overly beautiful stage or a large scroller.
Hit or miss, 5chan really won, huh

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
On another subject, I have some more datamining stuff to share with you guys: "Brave's" stage is listed as L02. This is NOT a name. It means his stage has a low poly version for 8-player smash. This means Brave's stage is labor intensive, like an overly beautiful stage or a large scroller.
what I'm getting from this is, this is a stage with Zero Two from Kirby 64, and you gotta give him the L in a boss fight.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Technically any character you can apply Brave to can have an autoscrolling stage with good looking-graphics, but so can Erdrick. In fact, it's expected of Erdrick. This applies to Alefgard quite nicely. Keep it coming, Mr. Info.
Oohh, you just made me realize something. It'd be possible to have a long scrolling stage with different monsters showing up, and really showcase dragon quest with more stuff.

D

Deleted member

Oohh, you just made me realize something. It'd be possible to have a long scrolling stage with different monsters showing up, and really showcase dragon quest with more stuff.
Exactly what I am thinking. If we're getting a showcase of Alefgard updated to be a beautiful landscape and we get a tour of it, it'd be the best way to represent DQ 3 as far as I can tell. It would also push the system to its limits too.

What other stages are L02? 'Alefgard' could fit the bill since it would be the entire gameworld and not just a part of it like Charlock Castle, but that's stretching it.
Really? I think it fits Alefgard impressively. It's not like Gaur Plains where it's a section of the world, Alefgard is the game world, right? And it even applies to the 5chan leak too that says Alefgard is in.

Tour map of Alefgard

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Exactly what I am thinking. If we're getting a showcase of Alefgard updated to be a beautiful landscape and we get a tour of it, it'd be the best way to represent DQ 3 as far as I can tell.

Really? I think it fits Alefgard impressively. It's not like Gaur Plains where it's a section of the world, Alefgard is the game world, right? And it even applies to the 5chan leak too that says Alefgard is in.

Tour map of Alefgard
Yeah nice.

I had another idea as a follow-up. Something Sakurai might enjoy playing back with:

(picturing that +auto-scrolling in-between or whatever works)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
That's interesting, but I don't think there's any way to interpret it that isn't a reach. It doesn't not fit Alefgard, but "it's big or detailed" is about as far from specific as possible.

D

Deleted member

Yeah nice.

I had another idea as a follow-up. Something Sakurai might enjoy playing back with:

(picturing that +auto-scrolling or whatever works)
Random encounters? That would definitely fit a Dragon Quest stage too. Can't make too many assumptions other than I expect it to be auto-scrolling.

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone for the advice! Much appreciated. TheYungLink TheYungLink Fantastic write-ups, thank you so much. Based on everything I've been seeing, I think I'll try to get my hands on DQ V first. I was leaning towards that one beforehand as well, I had already heard a ton of good things about it. From there, I'll probably just skip around based on whatever I can get my hands on. I definitely want to get DQ XI when that comes out, although I don't have a ton of spare cash so I'll probably have to hold off on that. I still haven't gotten KHIII even though I have been eagerly waiting for that for years.

Maybe I missed that post. It was a pretty good run-down. I think the gbc ones can be cool too, if they're used to old gbc games (and rpgs), but I think you're right about it for most of the time.
I actually grew up with GBC games and old RPGs that were lighter on story, so the console limitations thing doesn't worry too much, especially since I'm approaching this series with a new sense of determination. I'm used to that old style of game. I actually get kind of nervous playing modern games because of how much the technology has improved. Games are huge these days. It's a bit overwhelming sometimes. The difference between something like KH1 and KH3 is insane. Even going from something like Red Dead 1 to Red Dead 2 was a huge leap for me. That's why I like Nintendo games, they tend to feel pretty familiar to an old timer like me. Even playing Mario Odyssey (a big game) made me feel like I did when I played Mario 64 and Sunshine back in the day. But yeah, games like the SNES-PS1 era FFs, Pokemon, Paper Mario, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger etc were my jam back then, so I'm definitely experienced with RPGs. I'm not worried about getting adjusted to the battle system of DQ. I read in TheYungLink's post that DQ3 has a lot of character customization which I'm looking forward to as I enjoyed FF 5 a lot and it reminds me of that game's job system. Also, I made it through Mother 1, which could be a bit rough sometimes gameplay wise, so I should be fine with this.

Can I be broken, too, even though I'm not a Luigi? LTP and I are broken for very similar reasons anyway. :drshrug: Woo, brokenhearted squad!
Where did the banana duck go. :(

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah. I might have jumped the gun. Nevermind.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks everyone for the advice! Much appreciated. TheYungLink TheYungLink Fantastic write-ups, thank you so much. Based on everything I've been seeing, I think I'll try to get my hands on DQ V first. I was leaning towards that one beforehand as well, I had already heard a ton of good things about it. From there, I'll probably just skip around based on whatever I can get my hands on. I definitely want to get DQ XI when that comes out, although I don't have a ton of spare cash so I'll probably have to hold off on that. I still haven't gotten KHIII even though I have been eagerly waiting for that for years.

I actually grew up with GBC games and old RPGs that were lighter on story, so the console limitations thing doesn't worry too much, especially since I'm approaching this series with a new sense of determination. I'm used to that old style of game. I actually get kind of nervous playing modern games because of how much the technology has improved. Games are huge these days. It's a bit overwhelming sometimes. The difference between something like KH1 and KH3 is insane. Even going from something like Red Dead 1 to Red Dead 2 was a huge leap for me. That's why I like Nintendo games, they tend to feel pretty familiar to an old timer like me. Even playing Mario Odyssey (a big game) made me feel like I did when I played Mario 64 and Sunshine back in the day. But yeah, games like the SNES-PS1 era FFs, Pokemon, Paper Mario, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger etc were my jam back then, so I'm definitely experienced with RPGs. I'm not worried about getting adjusted to the battle system of DQ. I read in TheYungLink's post that DQ3 has a lot of character customization which I'm looking forward to as I enjoyed FF 5 a lot and it reminds me of that game's job system. Also, I made it through Mother 1, which could be a bit rough sometimes gameplay wise, so I should be fine with this.

Where did the banana duck go. :(
Cool yeah i get it.
just a note, DQ3's job system is not as much as FF5. DQ6 & 7 have advanced ones that are more like it (and go beyond).
If you enjoy class systems like me, I definitely recommend those eventually :)

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Hmm yeah looks like it was just a coincidence. At least Brave data was found. Maybe more info will pop up

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm interesting
Time to stretch.

Lo2
Lo Two
Lo To
Loto / Roto (L and R are the same sound in Japan) Erdrick’s japanese name.

Here, I brought tin foil hats for every-

... what’s that? Stages can’t be named after characters? Not even Mario Bros? Or Duck Hunt? They get a pass because their locations don’t have names?
Oh, ok fine, I’ll just take those hats back.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I usually don't like side-scrowlling stages so thank god that at least seemed to have been a mistake. Though, it does make me question. What stage from the seven could pass as a possible side scroller? There's not many locations from the games these characters come from that could be passed off as a side scrolling stage. I guess Alefguard could be one, for some reason I could see Twighlight Town as a possible side scroller stage.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can see any L02 stage being like the BoTW stage instead of a scroller.

A side-scroller might work like Spirit Train, anyway, where they only render part of the stage at a time to save on resources.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really hope that they don't go overboard with all of the DLC characters' stages and make them overly gimmicky.

Just for once, I'd like to see a stage that was just pretty and had a solid, robust layout that could be played competitively.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
With Joker the stage name was after. With brave there's just z1 (or is it zl)
Zanarkand? FFX confirmed? ;p

D

Deleted member

Oh well. At least we're still finding things from the data. Gotta be something about Brave in there that was accidentally left in. You know, besides Brave itself. If they find it, it wont be today so I'll just sleep on this topic for now.

I usually don't like side-scrowlling stages so thank god that at least seemed to have been a mistake. Though, it does make me question. What stage from the seven could pass as a possible side scroller? There's not many locations from the games these characters come from that could be passed off as a side scrolling stage. I guess Alefguard could be one, for some reason I could see Twighlight Town as a possible side scroller stage.
Like Prism Tower where you're practically toured around Lumiose City? Oh man. Imagine a beautiful sunset stage like Twilight Town.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, more grounded thoughts.

Are we still at LO2 being low-poly? Because I have a few ideas what it could be:

1) a Banjo stage. He originated in a (now considered) low-poly era. The downside? B&K already moved past that.

2) Minecraft, which is low poly by design.

3) A returning N64 stage...? Sector Z?

4) Bonus round. Forest Maze. Because SMRPG has prerendered graphics, and back then, pre-rendered graphic assets, if I’m not mistaken, were built as 3D models first *insert more inaccurate explanation*
But you see where I’m going.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I really hope that they don't go overboard with all of the DLC characters' stages and make them overly gimmicky.

Just for once, I'd like to see a stage that was just pretty and had a solid, robust layout that could be played competitively.
I can understand that fear, I also have a slight fear with gimicky stages but to be fair, there weren't that many gimick stages during Smash 4 DLC. The only one that was really gimicky was Midgar, and because we are talking about Square, I can somewhat see us getting another one from them for some reason.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, more grounded thoughts.

Are we still at LO2 being low-poly? Because I have a few ideas what it could be:

1) a Banjo stage. He originated in a (now considered) low-poly era. The downside? B&K already moved past that.

2) Minecraft, which is low poly by design.

3) A returning N64 stage...? Sector Z?

4) Bonus round. Forest Maze. Because SMRPG has prerendered graphics, and back then, pre-rendered graphic assets, if I’m not mistaken, were built as 3D models first *insert more inaccurate explanation*
But you see where I’m going.
Nope.

Evidently, it was just an unfortunate coinky-dink.

D

Deleted member

So if you fine chaps follow Vergeben still, you'll probably know that ZenythVidya posted a reddit private message three days ago from Vergeben. Here's the full post.

ZenythVidya said:
i guess this is gonna be the last DM i can send out for now:
https://i.imgtc.com/5Pr0QCk.png

apparently an eShop 2D Zelda is happening
If you're too lazy, here's the image.

Star Fox Grand Prix is still an anomoly over how it started, but two things of note.

1) A new 2D Eshop Zelda game may be happening and that's what screwed with Vergeben's prediction. Another case of him having good info but crap guesses on what date they'll be shown.
2) He specifies two of his three good sources are saying Erdrick is without a doubt in plus many other smaller sources. He flat out admits he backs Erdrick now because of this + factors like Tansut.

Vergeben confirmed he sent this and will have more to say later.
Vergeben said:
I didn't see this was posted until now but there is more I'll be talking about later. I will confirm that was part of a message I did send to ZenythVidya.
Cool stuff so far. Seems they're trying to work out what's going on behind the scenes with the info they have.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So if you fine chaps follow Vergeben still, you'll probably know that ZenythVidya posted a reddit private message three days ago from Vergeben. Here's the full post.

Star Fox Grand Prix is still an anomoly over how it started, but two things of note.

1) A new 2D Eshop Zelda game may be happening and that's what screwed with Vergeben's prediction. Another case of him having good info but crap guesses on what date they'll be shown.
2) He specifies two of his three good sources are saying Erdrick is without a doubt in plus many other smaller sources. He flat out admits he backs Erdrick now because of this + factors like Tansut.

Cool stuff so far. Seems they're trying to work out what's going on behind the scenes with the info they have.
Wait, a new 2D Zelda beyond Link's Awakening remake?

That'd certainly be something.

EDIT: Maybe the remake was/is Nintendo's way of getting a handle on the new 2D engine for when they go for a completely original, bigger 2D title?

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I've always felt SFGP to be weird, the rumours started late 2017, so it would have been developed at the same time as SF Zero.

D

Deleted member

EDIT: Maybe the remake was/is Nintendo's way of getting a handle on the new 2D engine for when they go for a completely original, bigger 2D title?
Nintendo released a MP Zelda for the 3DS for free early on its lifetime, it could also be that something similar coming given the NSO and that Tetris 99 is a game included with it.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Reggie is retiring, he was a big DQ fan and put in 150 hours into DQIX. RIP to NOA localizing DQ games after DQXI:S lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Thanks for bringing it up. This definitely shakes things up. And may be worth talking about in the erdrick thread too :)

That's an interesting idea. And really, if they made a new engine for it, it'd be a great idea to make another full fledged game :)

Reggie is retiring, he was a big DQ fan and put in 150 hours into DQIX. RIP to NOA localizing DQ games after DQXI:S lol
And I thought there wasnt going to be much news today :O
And, I dont know what reggie would have to do with the localization,.. or i guess youre joking :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Wait, so this was supposed to have been posted before the direct? (How do these things always pop up after the directs?)

Si basically, Vergy now backs Erdrick 100% and so does at least another person and his Source B. Other sources have heard about him but still can’t confirm. Is this the gist of what’s being said? (I’m still getting used to my new phone and it’s hard to read without the zoomed image bouncing all over the screen)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wait, so this was supposed to have been posted before the direct? (How do these things always pop up after the directs?)

Si basically, Vergy now backs Erdrick 100% and so does at least another person and his Source B. Other sources have heard about him but still can’t confirm. Is this the gist of what’s being said? (I’m still getting used to my new phone and it’s hard to read without the zoomed image bouncing all over the screen)

@Bolderousness pretty much covered it with this:
Also, he says that some (or most) of the 'smaller' sources he heard the 7 names from are now saying erdrick too. At least that's what verge seems to be saying.
The 2d zelda he heard about, if true, would explain why he said it wasnt link's awakening. And he said something about pikmin 3 too, not sure i understand though.

No doubt he still screwed up with stuf,f, but sounds like verge is going to try to explain some things soon. Hopefully he just does and actually admits his mistakes or whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No idea specifically. The PM itself was sent at 2/18/2019, so this seems more like Verge privately discussing info with Zenyth post-direct to clear things up.

Thanks for bringing it up. This definitely shakes things up. And may be worth talking about in the erdrick thread too :)
I wanted to say this in the Erdrick thread first but double posting be bad.

Top Bottom