• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Thread's been pretty quiet tonight :O
Yeah. This might liven things up. It's not Square related, but it is a code update.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah. This might liven things up. It's not Square related, but it is a code update.
Yeah just saw in the geno thread :p I'm really excited for the possibility and I tend to like fast characters too.

We kinda need info on P5R soon then.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'd like to see what a female version of Joker looks like, hoping that that's what "Jane" is alluding to.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'M GONNA WILD THE **** OUT

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Joker is gonna have a female alt?

Looks like P5R is gonna debut the fact that Joker is sort of an avatar now that you can decide which gender you’re gonna pick. Which would be crazy if it was leaked in Smash.

I also have a feeling the Female version will overtake the male version similar to how it seemed to happen with Robin and Corrin. This could also be the case for Erdrick since he would most likely come with a female version too.

It’s still interesting though.

D

Deleted member

Legit I am hoping for female Joker only because I think it would make Persona 5 a more immersive experience for the ladies. That's what I assume anyways. I sometimes look at Persona and think to myself, "I wonder how a woman feels when she has to play as a male?" My friends so far have only told me, "I want Joker to **** me."

That being said, what kind of name is Jane? That's like the most American name for a Japanese character. For the record, I'm using this as a point against female Joker's odds (to play devil's advocate).

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Looks like P5R is gonna debut the fact that Joker is sort of an avatar now that you can decide which gender you’re gonna pick. Which would be crazy if it was leaked in Smash.

I also have a feeling the Female version will overtake the male version similar to how it seemed to happen with Robin and Corrin. This could also be the case for Erdrick since he would most likely come with a female version too.

I don't think she would quite overtake the male version like the other gender changeable characters. If she is anything like P3's FeMC in design philosophy, she might look very different from what you would think of a gender swapped Joker. Plus, male Joker is the version many of people have been familiar with for a long time now.
Legit I am hoping for female Joker only because I think it would make Persona 5 a more immersive experience for the ladies. That's what I assume anyways. I sometimes look at Persona and think to myself, "I wonder how a woman feels when she has to play as a male?" My friends so far have only told me, "I want Joker to **** me."

That being said, what kind of name is Jane? That's like the most American name for a Japanese character. For the record, I'm using this as a point against female Joker's odds as a devil's advocate move.
It's the code name. They referred to Joker as Jack. This is likely the same.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think she would quite overtake the male version like the other gender changeable characters. If she is anything like P3's FeMC in design philosophy, she might look very different from what you would think of a gender swapped Joker. Plus, male Joker is the version many of people have been familiar with for a long time now.

It's the code name. They referred to Joker as Jack. This is likely the same.
Fair enough. I'm leaning toward this Jane being a gender swap given the pony hair line of code. Still. Odd name. Really goes to show that these code names are bizarre as Hell. Might be a point against Erdrick being Brave, so yikes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Well it did happen with persona 3. So it's not totally surprising, but it's awesome :)

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...est/scale-to-width-down/166?cb=20141127082048

D

Deleted member

Really? Always felt male Robin was the more popular gender design.

Also why are we using spoilers? This is a Smash Bros newcomer speculation thread where we constantly reference insiders and game data. You don't come here to not be spoiled on Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Fair enough. I'm leaning toward this Jane being a gender swap given the pony hair line of code. Still. Odd name. Really goes to show that these code names are bizarre as Hell. Might be a point against Erdrick being Brave, so yikes.
Lol. See EarlTamm EarlTamm , the spoiler game ends eventually anyway, especially with hot topics ;;p

Also, it's probably a sense for naming that they have, like thinking of jack instead of a john doe, if that makes sense.
I wouldn't make much of it for codenames. The code string took a long time to find too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Lol. See EarlTamm EarlTamm , the spoiler game ends eventually anyway, especially with hot topics ;;p

Also, it's probably a sense for naming that they have, like thinking of jack instead of a john doe, if that makes sense.
I wouldn't make much of it for codenames. The code string took a long time to find too.
I will always try for as long as I can.

D

Deleted member

I just realized Jack does not need to be a reference to Jack Frost or playing cards and now my understanding on the meaning of Brave's codename suddenly begins to crumble away. Whelp!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just realized Jack does not need to be a reference to Jack Frost or playing cards and now my understanding on the meaning of Brave's codename suddenly begins to crumble away. Whelp!
Jack is an american name. To some japanese people it's all the same. Jack, john, ya know. Not necessarily the case, but it just feels like it could be, using my anime-sense :p
Same with brave, bad naming sense, going with a direct translation.

D

Deleted member

Interestingly what if this was the Dancing All Night cross dressing costume? That'd be hilarious.

Not preferred but hilarious.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Interestingly what if this was the Dancing All Night cross dressing costume? That'd be hilarious.

Not preferred but hilarious.
I'll take any interesting costume alts

Also, if we do get avatar-like treatment for 2 dlc characters i'm gonna be pretty satisfied with things. :)

D

Deleted member

I'll take any interesting costume alts

Also, if we do get avatar-like treatment for 2 dlc characters i'm gonna be pretty satisfied with things. :)
Theoretically, Joker should be an avatar. You name him as yourself, choose story responses the way you want to, **** who you want, and you do what you want with your in-game day. The slogan for the first Persona game was literally "Be Your True Mind." Just no gender swap unfortunately.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't exactly consider any Persona Character an avatar, tbh. THey still have their own distinct personalities regardless of player choice.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't exactly consider any Persona Character an avatar, tbh. THey still have their own distinct personalities regardless of player choice.
Umm well.. a lot of rpg protagonists dont necessarily have overly much personality as a main character.
Also:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Avatars can have their own personalities, stories, and genders. Look at Robin from FE Awakening.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Umm well.. a lot of rpg protagonists dont necessarily have overly much personality as a main character.
Also:
I'd say bad example because the personality difference between Makoto and Femkoto are as different as Night and Day. The only thing they really share in common, personality wise, is a strong desire to do anything to protect their friends and loved ones.

Avatars can have their own personalities, stories, and genders. Look at Robin from FE Awakening.
I don't exactly consider a character like Robin an Avatar either outside of the silent protagonist option only available in the JP versions. Mark is a bit of a better example of an Avatar to me, if limited. Games like Jump Force and Skyrim or MMOs are what I think of when I here something as an Avatar character.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You sure Jane isn't an in-game model of Arsene?
Yes, costume data is there (costume 6 to be precise)

I'd say bad example because the personality difference between Makoto and Femkoto are as different as Night and Day. The only thing they really share in common, personality wise, is a strong desire to do anything to protect their friends and loved ones.

I don't exactly consider a character like Robin an Avatar either outside of the silent protagonist option only available in the JP versions. Mark is a bit of a better example of an Avatar to me, if limited. Games like Jump Force and Skyrim or MMOs are what I think of when I here something as an Avatar character.
Ok well it depends how you define an avatar character then. It's kind of a street term anyway. For me it doesn't necessarily mean blank character. They can have seperate personalities. but I did add the part about not necessarily having much personality, so i get why it might've been lumped together.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Really? Always felt male Robin was the more popular gender design.
The Robins are about equal in popularity with the male edging out. The Corrins on the other hand, female Corrin eclipses male Corrin in popularity.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Recently Robin doesn’t seem to have much of a difference regarding gender preference.

But in the beginning of Smash 4, oof, Female Robin was almost always used in Smash (more so competitive Smash).

EDIT: It’s even joked about in this video.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
After I thought about it, I do think it makes more sense to call an avatar character one that you can design yourself. So in that sense I wouldn't think of any character in smash as an avatar character (maybe villager a bit?). People have been using it for the FE characters too tho.
Not sure what's better to call them.

Calane

Smash Ace
After I thought about it, I do think it makes more sense to call an avatar character one that you can design yourself. So in that sense I wouldn't think of any character in smash as an avatar character (maybe villager a bit?). People have been using it for the FE characters too tho.
Not sure what's better to call them.
I think the correct term would be "Silent Protagonist". Link, Ryu (Breath of Fire), Most DQ Heroes, Ness, Adol Christin, and a bunch of other characters I can think of fall into that category.

Edit: Not sure what to call characters like Robin, though.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the correct term would be "Silent Protagonist". Link, Ryu (Breath of Fire), Most DQ Heroes, Ness, Adol Christin, and a bunch of other characters I can think of fall into that category.

Edit: Not sure what to call characters like Robin, though.
I've seen 'blank character' or something like that. But I actually meant characters that can be either male or female. Well, it's the case for erdrick or corrin and robin. But say in persona 3 the characters are technically not the same, so that might be different too.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
According to the Twitter thread, a key difference "Jane" has with Joker is file extensions that are related to hair in MAYA. Does Robin and Corrin have a similar difference between their male and female in-game models? If so, then the likelihood of a female variant might have gone up. Though it could be Joker's P5D costume though.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I've seen 'blank character' or something like that. But I actually meant characters that can be either male or female. Well, it's the case for erdrick or corrin and robin. But say in persona 3 the characters are technically not the same, so that might be different too.
Since you can't customize either option (male or female), a character like Erdrick would still fall into the "Silent Protagonist" category. Robin/Corrin is sort of different since they actually speak and you can customize them, so I don't really know about them.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Persona, so I can't really comment on them.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
According to the Twitter thread, a key difference "Jane" has with Joker is file extensions that are related to hair in MAYA. Does Robin and Corrin have a similar difference between their male and female in-game models? If so, then the likelihood of a female variant might have gone up. Though it could be Joker's P5D costume though.
Joker(m) doesn't have ponytail. And Jane is still a girl name. Im not saying it's not possible for it to be something else, im not 100% on it, but I think it's most likely that it's a female alt. With hair physics :)
Since you can't customize either option (male or female), a character like Erdrick would still fall into the "Silent Protagonist" category. Robin/Corrin is sort of different since they actually speak and you can customize them, so I don't really know about them.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Persona, so I can't really comment on them.
Right, well if erdrick did speak more, I'm just wondering what we'd call that. Gender-fluid character? :p

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Joker(m) doesn't have ponytail. And Jane is still a girl name. Im not saying it's not possible for it to be something else, im not 100% on it, but I think it's most likely that it's a female alt. With hair physics :)
What I meant to ask was if female Robin and Corrin had similar MAYA file extensions regarding hair.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Optimistically:
Persona 5 R will have a female option which will be announced on March with Joker releasing in an April direct, along with femJoker as the recently announced female option

Realistically:
Literally nothing.

D

Deleted member

Is Jane part of the name of the alt or is it something related to the ponytail style? It could be a costume emulating another SMT protagonist like Flynn from SMT4 :b

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What I meant to ask was if female Robin and Corrin had similar MAYA file extensions regarding hair.
All the models are apparently modeled with maya, so i dont think it's anything different. The file has to do with hair tho, so im guessing any character with hair physics would have something like it? dont fully know.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
BZL8 BZL8 Just to follow up. I don't think there's enough info around the dataminers to know for sure. Your question might be a good one for them tho.
Worth posting about if we find more.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Optimistically:
Persona 5 R will have a female option which will be announced on March with Joker releasing in an April direct, along with femJoker as the recently announced female option

Realistically:
Literally nothing.
I mean I don't think this is fair at this point.
P5R having a female option is pretty realistic, actually. Remember when P3 got ported to Vita and in turn had a female protagonist added in?
On top of that, what could "Jane" (that's the name right) stand for? And what could "ponytail" stand for?
You could argue Flynn for ponytail, but that argument crumbles because it doesn't work with "Jane".

And if Joker is ready to be released in April, you'd think that, a month and a half out, we would be able to see some gameplay, even if just for a bit.
Makes you think there's a reason we can't see it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom