• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean I don't think this is fair at this point.
P5R having a female option is pretty realistic, actually. Remember when P3 got ported to Vita and in turn had a female protagonist added in?
On top of that, what could "Jane" (that's the name right) stand for? And what could "ponytail" stand for?
You could argue Flynn for ponytail, but that argument crumbles because it doesn't work with "Jane".

And if Joker is ready to be released in April, you'd think that, a month and a half out, we would be able to see some gameplay, even if just for a bit.
Makes you think there's a reason we can't see it.
Minor correction, but it was the PSP, not the Vita.

In any event, about 'Jane', we are not in any position to know what it means or could be. If it's a female alt, why is it only on a color that would be occupied by Male Joker? Gender swaps alternate colors, that means male Joker would take up C00, C02, C04 and C06 while a female Joker would take up C01, C03, C05 and C07. This 'Jane' code was found on C06. There's oddities with this discovery that shouldn't be ignored. While I won't deny that a female option in P5R is a possibility, changing Joker's gender is not that easy for a game like Persona, especially considering the context of the first Act of P5.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean I don't think this is fair at this point.
P5R having a female option is pretty realistic, actually. Remember when P3 got ported to Vita and in turn had a female protagonist added in?
On top of that, what could "Jane" (that's the name right) stand for? And what could "ponytail" stand for?
You could argue Flynn for ponytail, but that argument crumbles because it doesn't work with "Jane".

And if Joker is ready to be released in April, you'd think that, a month and a half out, we would be able to see some gameplay, even if just for a bit.
Makes you think there's a reason we can't see it.
Yes, but that was for P3P on the PSP a decade ago.
The port of P3 on the PSP cut down huge swaths of content for the concession of making it portable and in that regard, is why feMC is only in that one game and not in P3 FES, the "definitive" version of P3.

A feMC in the Persona 5 Engine, on a presumably Playstation related platform, with entirely new lines, cutscenes, animations, and writing, would come with a far heavier workload as compared to P3P, which cut the real world exploration for a VN. Honestly, it would seem to me that Atlus would try to avoid a situation like that altogether in favor of just introducing a new female character to the cast, ala Marie (P4G), Alex (SMTSJR), Nemesia (RHPC), and most recently, Qathe"Rin" (CFB).

As with most predictions, not impossible, but it seems far less likely from what I've seen that Atlus would dip their toes into that again.

It seems far more likely to me that the whole Jane and ponytail bit could just be nothing. After all, female alternates require a ton of work beyond a basic skin and being reserved for an arbitrary "6th" slot seems out of place.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

In any event, about 'Jane', we are not in any position to know what it means or could be. If it's a female alt, why is it only on a color that would be occupied by Male Joker? Gender swaps alternate colors, that means male Joker would take up C00, C02, C04 and C06 while a female Joker would take up C01, C03, C05 and C07. This 'Jane' code was found on C06. There's oddities with this discovery that shouldn't be ignored. While I won't deny that a female option in P5R is a possibility, changing Joker's gender is not that easy for a game like Persona, especially considering the context of the first Act of P5.
Maybe there's only one slot for a female character, or there's more different alts than we might think. Then it'd be a different story, kind like wendy only being in one slot. Or the string dump had the wrong character slot. I'm just putting possibilities, I do think it's odd but jane+ponytail screams female something :p

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Maybe there's only one slot for a female character, or there's more different alts that we know. Then it'd be a different story, kind like wendy only being in one slot. Or the string dump had the wrong character slot. I'm just putting possibilities, I do think it's odd but jane+ponytails screams female something :p
I find it hard to believe that they would create a new model with new voicelines only to have femJoker be relegated to a single alt.

Using Wendy as an example ignores the fact that she shares her alternate costumes with 7 other unique models.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Maybe there's only one slot for a female character, or there's more different alts than we might think. Then it'd be a different story, kind like wendy only being in one slot. Or the string dump had the wrong character slot. I'm just putting possibilities, I do think it's odd but jane+ponytails screams female something :p
This is particularly why I think we need to go deeper. What other characters have a "ponytail" file like Joker, or Jack, supposedly has.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is particularly why I think we need to go deeper. What other characters have a "ponytail" file like Joker, or Jack, supposedly has.
Like someone mentioned, there's flynn, but I definitely think that jane has something to do with a girl.

I find it hard to believe that they would create a new model with new voicelines only to have femJoker be relegated to a single alt.

Using Wendy as an example ignores the fact that she shares her alternate costumes with 7 other unique models.
Someone mentioned that maybe p5r has a lot more that's new, maybe more new story-archs, etc, to get people to re-buy it.
But going with what I was saying, I dont think it's that farfetched considering that p5r is a ways away. They could see it as maybe odd to have 4 slots for a version that isn't going to be out for quite a while. We dont know what they might have in store for the other costumes, so i we really dont know both ways. I think it makes more sense that it's a girl, im just not sure who or why.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I will also not deny that the situation is confusing as hell but, just like with "Brave", all this speculation cannot explain why the name "Jane" is there. The best explanation is simply that it's a female Joker.
The name is the key here for me.

Yes, but that was for P3P on the PSP a decade ago.
The port of P3 on the PSP cut down huge swaths of content for the concession of making it portable and in that regard, is why feMC is only in that one game and not in P3 FES, the "definitive" version of P3.

A feMC in the Persona 5 Engine, on a presumably Playstation related platform, with entirely new lines, cutscenes, animations, and writing, would come with a far heavier workload as compared to P3P, which cut the real world exploration for a VN. Honestly, it would seem to me that Atlus would try to avoid a situation like that altogether in favor of just introducing a new female character to the cast, ala Marie (P4G), Alex (SMTSJR), Nemesia (RHPC), and most recently, Qathe"Rin" (CFB).

As with most predictions, not impossible, but it seems far less likely from what I've seen that Atlus would dip their toes into that again.

It seems far more likely to me that the whole Jane and ponytail bit could just be nothing. After all, female alternates require a ton of work beyond a basic skin and being reserved for an arbitrary "6th" slot seems out of place.
My point was adding a female protagonist to a handheld Persona port is not unprecedented.
Also, the intense popularity of P3's feMC, so popular she was featured in Q2, must be noted. This would likely influence the creation of a potential feMC for Persona 5.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My point was adding a female protagonist to a handheld Persona port is not unprecedented.
Also, the intense popularity of P3's feMC, so popular she was featured in Q2, must be noted. This would likely influence the creation of a potential feMC for Persona 5.
Femkoto's alway's been popular and a lot of people prefer her over P3 Makoto as well due to their personality differences, but that doesn't change the fact that she's been ignored by Atlus for years until PQ2. She didn't even get featured in Dancing in Moon Light. Not only that, but a Gender option wasn't in P4G either. I'd love to try out P5 from a female perspective, but I'm also trying to keep my own expectations down because all of this could simply be weird ass coincidences.

RcS735

Smash Cadet
So question how does Jane effect the chances that Brave is Erdrick and other leaks?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Femkoto's alway's been popular and a lot of people prefer her over P3 Makoto as well due to their personality differences, but that doesn't change the fact that she's been ignored by Atlus for years until PQ2. She didn't even get featured in Dancing in Moon Light. Not only that, but a Gender option wasn't in P4G either. I'd love to try out P5 from a female perspective, but I'm also trying to keep my own expectations down because all of this could simply be weird *** coincidences.
Yes. She was ignored until now. Which is around the same time a P5R port with this potential Jane would be made.
I believe that Minako's popularity being proven could've caused Atlus to revisit the feMC idea for P5R.

So question how does Jane effect the chances that Brave is Erdrick and other leaks?
Doesn't affect either at all.

D

Deleted member

The whole costume situation makes me think more along the lines of Shulk or ZSS, where only a few of the options are a different costume altogether. Unless Joker is a situation where the different costumes are different alts. Its an interesting find.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I posted something about this in the persona thread (and someone else alluded to it), but it might also be joker crossdressing. :)
(there's a certain dancing game they can use for reference XD)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And my point, is that it's still unlikely, and thus, more realistically not what's going to happen, which is what I said aaaaaall the way back in the beginning.

For all her intense popularity, it only warranted her inclusion on a budget 3DS spinoff title with Etrian Odyssey gameplay 10 years later, not even being able to make it into her game's dancing spinoff. Which doesn't even have voice acting. It's literally a model-swap that they just straight up, didn't do.

While I've no doubt that Atlus know and recognize the want for a feMC again, the amount of effort that would go into that would be nothing short of obscene.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The whole costume situation makes me think more along the lines of Shulk or ZSS, where only a few of the options are a different costume altogether. Unless Joker is a situation where the different costumes are different alts. Its an interesting find.
The problem with that is that none of Joker's Costumes give him anything that can resemble a ponytail with the exception of his cross dressing outfit in the Dance game

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And my point, is that it's still unlikely, and thus, more realistically not what's going to happen, which is what I said aaaaaall the way back in the beginning.

For all her intense popularity, it only warranted her inclusion on a budget 3DS spinoff title with Etrian Odyssey gameplay 10 years later, not even being able to make it into her game's dancing spinoff. While I've no doubt that Atlus know and recognize the want for a feMC again, the amount of effort that would go into that would be nothing short of obscene.
And I still see it as likely.
Agree to disagree, I suppose my buddy Idon.
And I do believe that effort would be worth it. Adds a BIG chunk of replayability and incentive to new buyers such as myself.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

For all her intense popularity, it only warranted her inclusion on a budget 3DS spinoff title with Etrian Odyssey gameplay 10 years later, not even being able to make it into her game's dancing spinoff. While I've no doubt that Atlus know and recognize the want for a feMC again, the amount of effort that would go into that would be nothing short of obscene.
Yes but that's very rebellious or pessimistic of you do think like that :O
I dont think a lot of people will agree with you for now.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

It's still in the realm of possibility for a female alt to be on an even number file. Ice Climbers have 00-03 to have Popo as the lead climber while 04-07 are Nana costumes.

Sure it wouldn't be as consistent as Robin, Wii Fit but it is still in the realm of possibility for this decision to be made this way.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hah! You're telling THIS thread to stay optimistic?
Come on now, Teebs.
I disagree with Idon for reasons entirely besides pessimism. And rebellion should be celebrated sometimes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think that's what rebellious means.

And if you've read all my reasons and still think that's pessimistic? Hey, you've got your way of thinking.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hah! You're telling THIS thread to stay optimistic?
Come on now, Teebs.
I disagree with Idon for reasons entirely besides pessimism. And rebellion should be celebrated sometimes.
I don't think that's what rebellious means.

And if you've read all my reasons and still think that's pessimistic? Hey, you've got your way of thinking.

I know it's like partly funny i guess because persona 5 is all about rebellion.

I say he's pessimistic because of looking at the worst scenarios as if they're realistic. Common trait of something being pessimistic.
It makes sense to make more stuff (including story aspects) for p5r to get back sales. I mentioned that in a post above.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I agree with him. The workload for a genderswap in Persona is pretty massive. P3P needed something to make it stand out as it was inferior in many ways compared to FES outside of controlling your own party members. However, I still want a Gender option to be a thing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I agree with him. The workload for a genderswap in Persona is pretty massive. P3P needed something to make it stand out as it was inferior in many ways compared to FES outside of controlling your own party members. However, I still want a Gender option to be a thing.
And I still disagree with it being a bigger workload on resources than will be worth the rewards of doing so with a new version.

Also, we dont need to nec focus on a femc. For all we know they could be making a spinoff or something else too that has a gal version or another character, or even just the crossdressing joker with a ponytail ;)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know it's like partly funny i guess because persona 5 is all about rebellion.

I say he's pessimistic because of looking at the worst scenarios as if they're realistic. Common trait of something being pessimistic.
It makes sense to make more stuff for p5r to get back sales. I mentioned that in a post above.
Yeah, it does make sense for there to be new content.
There IS going to be new content as there always has been for when Atlus does their definitive versions

But what I don't see, is them adding a female route.

That'd require:
  • Every animated cutscene redrawn.
  • Every voiceline that mentions Joker as a male rerecorded.
  • Rewritten dialogue for every mention of Joker as a male.
  • New confidants with the romanceable males.
  • New scenarios for scenes with Joker that wouldn't make sense if he was a female.
  • New scenarios for female specific Joker scenes
And whatever else I can't list off the top of my head.
And that's plus the normal added content being a new character, a new month, new story-content, and a new dungeon.

You could do it with P3P which was essentially a visual novel, also cutting out the post-game dungeon, but doing it with a triple-A JRPG? I don't see it being worth it.
Which isn't to say I don't want it, I just don't find it likely.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, it does make sense for there to be new content.
There IS going to be new content as there always has been for when Atlus does their definitive versions

But what I don't see, is them adding a female route.

That'd require:
  • Every animated cutscene redrawn.
  • Every voiceline that mentions Joker as a male rerecorded.
  • Rewritten dialogue for every mention of Joker as a male.
  • New confidants with the romanceable males.
  • New scenarios for scenes with Joker that wouldn't make sense if he was a female.
And whatever else I can't list off the top of my head.
And that's plus the normal added content being a new character, a new month, and a new dungeon.

You could do it with P3P which was essentially a visual novel, cutting out the post-game dungeon, but doing it with a triple-A JRPG? I don't see it being worth it.
Which isn't to say I don't want it, I just don't find it likely.
1. Animations come pretty easily in japan
2 & 3. Normal to re script and re dub what needs to be with those types of changes
4. Normal to add new relationships, for both. will add more to the game.
5. I dont think there'll be all that many, but even so it'll be interesting to see from a different perspective.

Like, really, it's all stuff that adds to the game, and people can re-buy it just for that.
They might also bank on smash bringing a lot more attention and it being worth it.
Just think outside your usual box, i guess.

I gotta go sleep. laters, and gnight.

-

Also, I forgot to mention it here, but the character can be close enough to the original and that can make it a lot easier for animations, etc.

(random art i found in the general thread)

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
This should be interesting to many of us.
Cuphead coming to Switch is a dream come true!!!!!! Ori could also be a thing now on Nintendo.
Halo and Rare Replay very likely as well.
I'm starting to think Microsoft will ditch the console market and focus on PC and support as a third party. What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

This should be interesting to many of us.
Cuphead coming to Switch is a dream come true!!!!!! Ori could also be a thing now on Nintendo.
Halo and Rare Replay very likely as well.
I'm starting to think Microsoft will ditch the console market and focus on PC and support as a third party. What do you guys think?

Its interesting, but I doubt MS will exit the console market. If anything, it seems to be in line with their current strategy of streaming and making a Netflix for games.

Currently two models of next gen Xbox are planned, one of which is focused on streaming:
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/rumor-two-next-gen-xbox-models-to-be-announced-at-e3-2019

It wouldn't surprise me if in addition to MS, other companies try to do and expand the streaming stuff (like Sony that now lacks a portable device) and add it to the Switch and mobile in the future. Capcom and Ubisoft do it already in Japan with RE7 and AC: Odyssey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
1. Animations come pretty easily in japan
2 & 3. Normal to re script and re dub what needs to be with those types of changes
4. Normal to add new relationships, for both. will add more to the game.
5. I dont think there'll be all that many, but even so it'll be interesting to see from a different perspective.

Like, really, it's all stuff that adds to the game, and people can re-buy it just for that.
They might also bank on smash bringing a lot more attention and it being worth it.
Just think outside your usual box, i guess.

I gotta go sleep. laters, and gnight.

-

Also, I forgot to mention it here, but the character can be close enough to the original and that can make it a lot easier for animations, etc.

(random art i found in the general thread)
You're grossly underestimating the amount of work and money it takes to add these things. There's a reason why none of this stuff was ever included for P4:G.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with Idon. Afterall, it's been 2 years since the original release of the game, and that should be plenty of time to add this kind of content to an enhanced rerelease, but it should be noted that the devs aren't crazy about the added workload that would follow adding a female protagonist.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're grossly underestimating the amount of work and money it takes to add these things. There's a reason why none of this stuff was ever included for P4:G.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with Idon. Afterall, it's been 2 years since the original release of the game, and that should be plenty of time to add this kind of content to an enhanced rerelease, but it should be noted that the devs aren't crazy about the added workload that would follow adding a female protagonist.
Not really. Sure, I dont think it'll be as much as you think, but I also think even if it's quite a bit, it'll be worth it.

Here's why. Persona 5 has already sold really well. P5R is going to come out in the future, and joker will release before it. Meaning a lot more people will play persona 5 before p5r. In total it's going to be a lot of people who've already played the game (except those who only have a switch). Some people will wait for p5r, but considering the fanbase, having much more content will make for a lot of purchases. I know I wouldn't buy p5r just for an extra dungeon and the usual.

It's a new era, so i'm not going to underestimate atlus. And just to say, I dont think it's necessarily a femc in p5r, I just think it's really possible, and there's also chances that it's not even related to the main game.

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Joker is gonna have a female alt?

Looks like P5R is gonna debut the fact that Joker is sort of an avatar now that you can decide which gender you’re gonna pick. Which would be crazy if it was leaked in Smash.

I also have a feeling the Female version will overtake the male version similar to how it seemed to happen with Robin and Corrin. This could also be the case for Erdrick since he would most likely come with a female version too.

It’s still interesting though.
:ultvillager: is possibly the only exception that people use more over the girl. Everything else that has a girl alt is absolutely going to be used more lol

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I just realized that Joker is going to have an amiibo, meaning we might get to play as Joker in Super Mario Maker 2.

D

Deleted member

I just realized that Joker is going to have an amiibo, meaning we might get to play as Joker in Super Mario Maker 2.
If we're getting an Erdrick amiibo, I hope they still make a Slime amiibo for the Hell of it.

D

Deleted member

If we're getting an Erdrick amiibo, I hope they still make a Slime amiibo for the Hell of it.
I don't see why not, in addition to DQB2 and DQXI there's a new Dragon Quest Monsters coming along (which would be hard to imagine not coming to Switch) with a few spinoffs. There's still info to be revealed about DQXI as well that could use some of this functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ah man, I really hope we get a Cloud skin in there. The prospect of playing as Cloud in Mario after this is great

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Ah man, I really hope we get a Cloud skin in there. The prospect of playing as Cloud in Mario after this is great
Everything about FFVII content on the Switch in general, the actual game coming included, is just so, so sweet, and after seeing Square being that bitter back in the day? It's even sweeter.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
It's sweet, but not in the sense of revenge. I think there were legitimate problems with Nintendo back in the day, and boundaries were overstepped, and sincerely, if you lived in year '99, you would think no sort of reapproaching would be possible after the number of insults thrown from both sides. To see that all in the past, including the bad practices, is very nice.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm not sure if it has been sharing here yet, but I got back to my source about the Pokemon information.

Alright. So, a different Nintendo Brand Ambassador than my main source is claiming that the game is going to be revealed within the coming weeks, so definitely soon. By this, I assume it's incredibly likely that pokemon day will have a reveal, but it's not guaranteed. I would also like to say this as clearly as possible: this is not from my main source that knew about the Link's Awakening remake and other direct reveals, this is from a completely different brand ambassador who I only recently met thru my main source. I was told that he has a pretty good track record (right about 75% of the time), so take this with a grain of salt. IMO treat it more as a decently reliable rumor as opposed to full-on leak. I WILL tell you if my main source here's anything guaranteed about the game or its revealed, although he may not.

Link to my tweet:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
Top Bottom