• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Sounds like my info was right. Kingzell now says the 13th is a good day for a direct.

Also, I heard "Erdrick" is soon from somebody reliable here (*cough* xenother *cough*) so maybe Brave will be over and done with. Maybe.

Additionally, Kingzell listed a few 2019 games that may or may not be in the direct (definitely not Pokemon):

"Including Pikmin 3, Mario Maker 2, Boxboy, and of course the 2D Zelda and Pokemon. MPT probably will be at the Direct."

Note that this fits other things that Emily Rogers has heard, where she said an old wii u game will be ported ( Pikmin 3), and there will be eshop games thsi year (Boxboy). Aligns quite well.
I know you trust Xenother but is there anything that makes him reliable? He doesn't have a track record iirc.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Direct next week? Nice.

As for Brave, I'm feeling like it's Erdrick, mostly because the name makes the most sense and Tansut backing him, but something seems off. The fact that he's been known about for months is what's really confusing.

Has that theory involving Mii Swordfighter/Duck Hunt corrupting World of Light been discussed here yet?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Direct next week? Nice.

As for Brave, I'm feeling like it's Erdrick, mostly because the name makes the most sense and Tansut backing him, but something seems off. The fact that he's been known about for months is what's really confusing.

Has that theory involving Mii Swordfighter/Duck Hunt corrupting World of Light been discussed here yet?
What theory?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
There's no proof that they're breaking the game because they're being used as "base characters" for DLC, they could be breaking the game for any unrelated reason, but it's a good theory. If Duck Hunt's being used as a base, that suggests Spyro or Poochy to me.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
What theory?
Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt corrupt data when they're used in Century Smash, similarly to Pirahna Plant in World of Light. The theory is that they have modified code, and are being used as bases for upcoming DLC. PapaGenos brought it up in a recent video (https://youtu.be/IuexhjeoESY at around 2:40, if you're interested)

I don't personally buy it, but it's an interesting theory, and I'll take what I can get in a drought like this.

There's no proof that they're breaking the game because they're being used as "base characters" for DLC, they could be breaking the game for any unrelated reason, but it's a good theory. If Duck Hunt's being used as a base, that suggests Spyro or Poochy to me.
Spyro (or Crash) would be so damn cool. Plus, it would continue to make Smash a better PSASBR than PSASBR was lol

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
As someone who has coding experience, the Mii Swordfighter/Duck Hunt theory makes literally zero sense

Code doesn't work like that

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Friendly reminder to everyone that the comment Zell was replying to was talking about a Direct announcement on the 13th, which would put the direct on the 14th. Which is also the second Thursday of the month, which is when the two general directs of last year (not counting E3) were scheduled to take place. So it's quite possible that that ends up being the Direct date instead of the 13th

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sounds like my info was right. Kingzell now says the 13th is a good day for a direct.

Also, I heard "Erdrick" is soon from somebody reliable here (*cough* xenother *cough*) so maybe Brave will be over and done with. Maybe.

Additionally, Kingzell listed a few 2019 games that may or may not be in the direct (definitely not Pokemon):

"Including Pikmin 3, Mario Maker 2, Boxboy, and of course the 2D Zelda and Pokemon. MPT probably will be at the Direct."

Note that this fits other things that Emily Rogers has heard, where she said an old wii u game will be ported ( Pikmin 3), and there will be eshop games thsi year (Boxboy). Aligns quite well.
Oh snap BoxBoy is back! Best news all year!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Vergeben actually said it Erdrick from his own end as well
not just from the 7 list of S-E names

*facepalm*

and in response to Smash twitter speculation of her tweet:
View attachment 191053
please don't circle jerk voice actor tweets to figure if they're hinting JUST BECAUSE Adam Howden got away with it once.
also this indicates Edelgard/Velvet/Shantae isn't under NDA like Dante (which Itsuno shot down yesterday) and poor Medusa in the past

also this has nothing to do with 7 Squares stuff
While you are absolutely right that my statement wasn't about Squares 7 (and I apologize for that), and she might not voice any Smash character (be it Edelgard, Shantae or maybe even female Erdick if Erdick truly is the one from Square) you clearly haven't heard anything that is called damage control. :p People make mistakes from times to time, even the best. Of course, she wouldn't admit that it is hinting towards something if she realized that she made a mistake.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
While you are absolutely right that my statement wasn't about Squares 7 (and I apologize for that), and she might not voice any Smash character (be it Edelgard, Shantae or maybe even female Erdick if Erdick truly is the one from Square) you clearly haven't heard anything that is called damage control. :p People make mistakes from times to time, even the best. Of course, she wouldn't admit that it is hinting towards something if she realized that she made a mistake.
Erdrick
Not Erdick

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Objection. That was actually a 2D animated trailer. Not CG.

You may have a point there. The issue is the vagueness of the claim.
I imagine it could be an old 90s style anime short where a bird flies over carrying a letter to Erdrick before he reveals it's the smash invite.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I want you all to know that I back ZenythSmash ZenythSmash as a valid leaker. Well, to clarify, he's not really trying to leak things himself, but the bits of info he says are true, like that Erdrick is ALSO coming from Verge's end. Zenyth has amazing connections, so trust him.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
No matter who ends up being the next character, I would certainly find it odd if we got the character to announce before seeing even the slightest gameplay of Joker.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Like I said above... There is something called damage control. I admit that I jumped the gun a bit fast with my original tweet, but stuff like this doesn't mean anything because it could easily be damage control for a simple mistake

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
This is why before Bayonetta was announced Hideki Kamiya hated "Smash idiots" (his words not mine) and constantly refused to tolerate questions about one of his characters in Smash. People get waaay too wound up about hints for Smash characters that aren't hints at all.

D

Deleted member

This is why before Bayonetta was announced Hideki Kamiya hated "Smash idiots" (his words not mine) and constantly refused to tolerate questions about one of his characters in Smash. People get waaay too wound up about hints for Smash characters that aren't hints at all.
I think the problem here is that people actually think everything is smash related and start making silly assumptions (poor Kumazaki, he had to add that the picture of Kirby with Erdrick's shield has no meaning due to the comments).

D

Deleted member

I think the problem here is that people actually think everything is smash related and start making silly assumptions (poor Kumazaki, he had to add that the picture of Kirby with Erdrick's shield has no meaning due to the comments).
Yeah a lot of people were being just completely toxic towards him over that, it's a shame that he got such a negative response to just posting about something he liked.
The fact is that not everything is a hint and not everything revolves around Smash.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
she might not voice any Smash character (be it Edelgard, Shantae or maybe even female Erdick if Erdick truly is the one from Square)
I've seen this idea a few places and it's deeply strange. Leaving everything else aside, there's nothing to connect Cristina Vee and Erdrick except that they both happen to be on people's minds. I'm all for wacky speculation, but this is throwing darts blindfolded.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've seen this idea a few places and it's deeply strange. Leaving everything else aside, there's nothing to connect Cristina Vee and Erdrick except that they both happen to be on people's minds. I'm all for wacky speculation, but this is throwing darts blindfolded.
Plus, dubs for Dragon Quest games always use voices with various European accents, typically. Her voice would stick out like a sore thumb in one.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Plus, dubs for Dragon Quest games always use voices with various European accents, typically. Her voice would stick out like a sore thumb in one.
Though, Chances are she'd only really do a few grunts. Not like Erdrick has a voice in English to begin with. With NOA at the helm of Localization, it's far more likely that I think they'd hire an American just for ease without the need of a reprisal.

Granted, I don't think the tweet was in relation to Smash one bit, but if it were, I'd place it more for Reimu than anything else

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
The fact that you say that when you've got some kind of idea of how Square operates (as you've stated in the past, no?) is fascinating to me. Who knows? I'm positive on Erdrick right now, but I'd love to be genuinely surprised again like I was with Joker.
It’s just that Erdrick does not fit how Square’s past reveals, are usually so careful to avoid leaks. Even KH3 that had leaked, Square didn’t add the epilogue or secret ending until after the game released to avoid it getting leaked. And Nomura has even said that because KH3 got leaked he’s reconsidering how they’ll do the FF7 remake. Also let’s compare with other past Square guest characters like Noctis and 2B, no one saw them coming. Even Behemoth in Monster Hunter world no one saw coming. Even Cloud in Smash Bros, only one person knew about him, and Tansut’s statement was so vague you wouldnt even know it was Cloud until Cloud was revealed. Square is so tight lipped that the voice actors of Prompto and Noctis, who are Robbie Daymond and Ray Chase. When filming their usual vlog said they could not show who was around them at a certain FF15 recording party. Because it involved DLC and they would get in big trouble if people found out. Honestly all that would’ve gotten revealed was who the other voice actors nearby were, and they couldn’t show that because it might reveal something.

So you take this same Square who is extremely tight lipped, and you add the Erdrick leaks. Where not only could they care less that he is being leaked, but even allowing Nintendo to tease he might be in Smash Bros in Instagram posts. This is completely different than the Square we have seen up to this point, and that’s what makes me suspicious of Erdrick. I genuinely believe leakers and insiders are telling the truth of what they are hearing from inside Square, I’m just not sure if Square is on purpose leaking false intel. And going along with the Erdrick leak, as a cover to conceal the real character.

I wouldnt mind if I’m wrong, I would be happy to see Erdrick in Smash Bros Ultimate. It’s true I’m not a big Dragon Quest fan, but I’m a huge Akira Toriyama fan. That being said something about Erdrick just does not add up with how Square normally handles leaks, which makes me very cautious about his inclusion.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It’s just that Erdrick does not fit how Square’s past reveals, are usually so careful to avoid leaks. Even KH3 that had leaked, Square didn’t add the epilogue or secret ending until after the game released to avoid it getting leaked. And Nomura has even said that because KH3 got leaked he’s reconsidering how they’ll do the FF7 remake. Also let’s compare with other past Square guest characters like Noctis and 2B, no one saw them coming. Even Behemoth in Monster Hunter world no one saw coming. Even Cloud in Smash Bros, only one person knew about him, and Tansut’s statement was so vague you wouldnt even know it was Cloud until Cloud was revealed. Square is so tight lipped that the voice actors of Prompto and Noctis, who are Robbie Daymond and Ray Chase. When filming their usual vlog said they could not show who was around them at a certain FF15 recording party. Because it involved DLC and they would get in big trouble if people found out. Honestly all that would’ve gotten revealed was who the other voice actors nearby were, and they couldn’t show that because it might reveal something.

So you take this same Square who is extremely tight lipped, and you add the Erdrick leaks. Where not only could they care less that he is being leaked, but even allowing Nintendo to tease he might be in Smash Bros in Instagram posts. This is completely different than the Square we have seen up to this point, and that’s what makes me suspicious of Erdrick. I genuinely believe leakers and insiders are telling the truth of what they are hearing from inside Square, I’m just not sure if Square is on purpose leaking false intel. And going along with the Erdrick leak, as a cover to conceal the real character.

I wouldnt mind if I’m wrong, I would be happy to see Erdrick in Smash Bros Ultimate. It’s true I’m not a big Dragon Quest fan, but I’m a huge Akira Toriyama fan. That being said something about Erdrick just does not add up with how Square normally handles leaks, which makes me very cautious about his inclusion.
Bear in mind, SE is also the company that had nearly the Entirety of FFXV leaked and an entire expansion and its updates leaked for FFXIV Stormblood. It's clear that **** sometimes falls through the cracks

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Bear in mind, SE is also the company that had nearly the Entirety of FFXV leaked and an entire expansion and its updates leaked for FFXIV Stormblood. It's clear that **** sometimes falls through the cracks
While that is true, they always do some sort of damage control. For instance some parts of FF15 like the DLC were not leaked. And yes people higher up in Square would have known about the DLC or at least had ideas about them before the game released as FF15 on purpose leaves gaps in the story which FF15 DLC covers. There were even extra scenes added in later to the story of the main game that were not leaked. And even in the case of KH3 where practically the whole game leaked, we still saw Square doing damage control, with Nomura apologizing for the game being ruined and then Square withholding the epilogue and secret ending.

However with Erdrick it’s like Square is almost embracing the fact that he has been leaked. It’s like they could care less that everyone knows it’s him. We have not seen Square take this mentality before. Again even in the KH3 leaks they on purpose did not release the epilogue or secret ending on the same release date, because they did not want all the surprises to be ruined. So why would a company that’s normally strict about leaks and at least do some damage control. Just give up, and accept that everyone knows it’s Erdrick and even let Nintendo stoke the fire? Unless it’s not him and they are using him as bait to keep people of their trail.

Again I’m not 100% de-confirming Erdrick only that everything surrounding his inclusion sounds very suspicious. I would be more inclined to believe it is him, if we saw Square trying their earnest to damage control, and yet we see none of that.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
While that is true, they always do some sort of damage control. For instance some parts of FF15 like the DLC were not leaked. And yes they would have known about them or at least had ideas about them before the game released as FF15 on purpose leaves gaps in the story which FF15 DLC covers.

However with Erdrick it’s like Square is almost embracing the fact that he has been leaked. It’s like they could care less that everyone knows it’s him. We have not seen Square take this mentality before, even with KH3 leaks. They on purpose did not release the epilogue or secret ending on the same release date, because they did not want all the surprises to be ruined. So why would a company that’s normally strict about leaks and at least do some damage control. Just give up, and accept that everyone knows it’s Erdrick and even let Nintendo stoke the fire? Unless it’s not him and they are using him as bait to keep people of their trail.

Again I’m not 100% de-confirming Erdrick only that everything surrounding his inclusion sounds very suspicious. I would be more inclined to believe it is him, if we saw Square trying their earnest to damage control, and yet we see none of that.
What could be done about it? What damage control is there to do, and how do we know they're not doing it? With the KH3 ending and games they control, SE can take measures like that, but what can they do about a Smash bros datamine?

I'm not convinced we're getting DQ until it happens, but SE have been built up as these amazing 4D chess masters and I'm not sure why.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
What could be done about it? What damage control is there to do, and how do we know they're not doing it? With the KH3 ending and games they control, SE can take measures like that, but what can they do about a Smash bros datamine?

I'm not convinced we're getting DQ until it happens, but SE have been built up as these amazing 4D chess masters and I'm not sure why.
Well I looked the FF15 leaks, and actually they were leaks of early development storyline. Supposedly the leaks claimed there were four crystals in this storyline which if someone has played FF15 storyline they know it’s not a part of the game. So leaking FF15 is not really true. perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83

Now Captain Fun Captain Fun moving on to what you were saying. I’m actually not saying that Square are masterful tacticians. I’m saying that Square is very strict about leaks. Are they like any other company and have some information slip through the cracks? Yes of course they are, however unlike other companies Square again is very strict about leaks. So when one does slip through they try very hard to keep it from spreading. As to your question what could they do if Erdrick was the one they wanted and got leaked. Well for starters they could not let Nintendo stoke the fires with allowing a former Smash employee post a picture of Kirby with an Erdrick shield that has the word brave. They could have spread other characters names more to try to cover their trail and confuse leakers. They could have asked Nintendo to remove the brave coding in Smash Ultimate sooner, instead of the eventual patch file that removed it. There is a lot of stuff they could’ve done to damage control, but they didn’t do any of it. Which does not fit Square’s very careful patterns. It’s not that Square are supreme tacticians, fooling everyone with every game decision, it’s that they are extremely tight lipped about their games. That’s why Erdrick does not make sense to me, because we see no action from either Square or Nintendo in trying to minimize the leaks. Again it’s not like Square to just give up and embrace leaks, they usually try someway to reduce or at least cushion the damage.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Square Enix is a one giant company on the book but Square and Enix are still working separately even to this day.
They are becoming close since young generations are now taking places but not quite there yet.
This inside politics **** of SE is very famous and you can still tell that from various interviews and articles.
With DQX Enix asked FFXIV team for a help to make their online systems get going but with DQXI they went back to Enix style. They didn't outsource much so they are definitely changing though.
So I think how FF or KH are managing their informations doesn't mean much considering the facts that DQ related leaks happened a lot in the past.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
From what I see there are several parts of his leak that are incorrect. 1. Cities are not all regular JRPG sized, Altissia is actually quiet large. 2. There is no speaking of the main part of the story which is literally the most important part of the story of FF15, the star scourge and why it’s spreading. 3. Tabata has already said the game opened with you losing the fight. 4. The way he leaked it made it sound 2 chapters at best were what the game revolves around which is not true. 5. Luna’s fate and how early it is in the timeline is incorrect. 6. The number of Astrals and how many you can summon is incorrect.7. The number of final boss fights is also incorrect. 8. Does not mention Noctis fate.

Now for the good part, surprisingly a lot of this stuff is correct. And I have to admit he/she did leak a lot the game including some very major plot points. I have to admit 80% of the game’s story was leaked. So I will admit this is actually a really good leak, and he/she even mentions some version of the first DLC. So I admit Square dropped the ball on this.

Now how does this relate to Smash Ultimate and Square patterns?
Well as I stated before Square is very strict about leaks, but they are human and will have leaks from time to time. However they try to damage control when leaks do get out. In the case with KH3 when they realized leaks were getting out, they on purpose locked away the epilogue and secret ending and released it on another day. In the case with the FF15 leak while it does ruin much of the story, it surprisingly does not ruin the ending, which is incredibly odd that this leak got so much right but does not say how the game really ends. This might be why Square did not do as much damage control.

So based off what we have here we can assess Square does do damage control on leaks. Especially recent ones like KH3. So why would they not address the fact that one of their most important characters is being leaked? Again this does not fit how Square does things. And they definitely would not let Nintendo let one of their employees stoke the fire of the leaks with a picture and a code word. This does not fit how Square usually does things.

Also Nintendo has shown to fool insiders before with the whole Metroid Prime trilogy and the Game Awards and most leakers not hearing about Joker at the Game Awards. So it’s not impossible that Nintendo and Square are on purpose leaking false intel and may explain why they are embracing the Erdrick leaks.

Again I’m not saying it’s not him, only that if it is him this would be a side of Square we have not seen before. The old Square who was so tight lipped about leaks would now be the Square who just gives up and embraces leaks. I would expect this from Capcom and even Bandai Namco, but from Square it’s a hard pill to swallow.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well folks I just had a dream they revealed that the next fighter pass character was Mike Tyson so pack it up because I think we know who Brave is.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Now Captain Fun Captain Fun moving on to what you were saying. I’m actually not saying that Square are masterful tacticians. I’m saying that Square is very strict about leaks. Are they like any other company and have some information slip through the cracks? Yes of course they are, however unlike other companies Square again is very strict about leaks. So when one does slip through they try very hard to keep it from spreading. As to your question what could they do if Erdrick was the one they wanted and got leaked. Well for starters they could not let Nintendo stoke the fires with allowing a former Smash employee post a picture of Kirby with an Erdrick shield that has the word brave.
Brave is just how yuusha gets translated. It's innocuous enough and it is almost certainly not a deliberate hint for Smash bros. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to restrict a HAL employee's social media account like that. It makes even less sense for Square to step in and make them.
They could have spread other characters names more to try to cover their trail and confuse leakers.
How does this work? Does John SquareEnix gather interns around the water cooler and tell them that "Sephiroth is going to be in Smash but don't tell anyone" and just hope it circulates? Assuming that SE engages in this kind of disinformation, it would still take time to spread, and unsubstantiated rumors would likely die quickly, assuming they manage to circulate at all.
They could have asked Nintendo to remove the brave coding in Smash Ultimate sooner, instead of the eventual patch file that removed it.
Even if 'brave' actually is a SE character and SE knows that they go by that name in the game's files, pushing out an emergency patch to scrub their names from the games files after major news outlets already reported on it seems like a waste. For all we know, they are the reason they were removed from the 2.0 version.
There is a lot of stuff they could’ve done to damage control, but they didn’t do any of it. Which does not fit Square’s very careful patterns. It’s not that Square are supreme tacticians, fooling everyone with every game decision, it’s that they are extremely tight lipped about their games. That’s why Erdrick does not make sense to me, because we see no action from either Square or Nintendo in trying to minimize the leaks. Again it’s not like Square to just give up and embrace leaks, they usually try someway to reduce or at least cushion the damage.
I don't see any of this as embracing leaks. Often, there isn't anything for them to do about a leak or rumor other than refuse to comment on it. There's only so much that can be done.
Also Nintendo has shown to fool insiders before with the whole Metroid Prime trilogy and the Game Awards and most leakers not hearing about Joker at the Game Awards. So it’s not impossible that Nintendo and Square are on purpose leaking false intel and may explain why they are embracing the Erdrick leaks.
As far as I know, there is zero proof that MPT at TGA was deliberate misinformation by Nintendo.

Game Informer senior editor Imran Khan suggests that MPT's absence was the result of MP4's development trouble and that the collection had finished development a while ago. He also clarified that he had never heard it specifically was going to be at TGA, just that it would be revealed in December. For whatever it's worth, Xenother also said that it wasn't leakbait.

To be honest, I don't think the whole Prime Trilogy thing makes sense as "leakbait." Joker didn't leak, and wouldn't have any bearing on Metroid, so the only result is blue-balled Metroid fans.

I don't know how any of this is going to pan out. Rumors turn out to be junk a lot of the time, and so could this one, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's because there was bait involved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom